Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gonz posted:

The series finale of Childrens Hospital aired last night, and it was.....out there.

Love that drat show; i'm sad Rob Corddry & Pals decided to end it voluntarily.

Did you see the bump before the episode though?

They're totally going to do specials every once and awhile.

I did think it was odd though that Rob Corddry wasn't even in the final episode of his own show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Have they said how many seasons Better Call Saul is going to be?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the first season and just got to the scene with the toilet. Almost busted a gut laughing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

muscles like this? posted:

Have they said how many seasons Better Call Saul is going to be?

No, but they're renewed at least to three.

If I were to guess, at least five.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Episode 9 is the best thing they've done.

Fitting, considering that S1E9 was probably the lowest point of the season.

Guy Mann posted:

Between last season's episode on how evil teacher unions are and this season's episode on how psychiatric medicine is just lazy parents drugging normal kids they can't handle I can't help but feel that maybe Tina Fey has some issues about raising her kids.

Also this is the second Netflix original series to have a hamfisted unfunny Scientology parody in its second season.

I'll definitely agree with you on the drugging episode being heavy-handed (so was the tumblr episode this season and the OJ parody last season) but IMO the teacher's union episode was great and the only Dong episode that overcame how terrible the Dong character was.

Plus come on, it's Bing Bong! Getting one step closer...

...to THIS!

e: The gentrification plotline that kind of started in season one and came out strong in season two is pretty eye-rolly but Carol Kane easily powers through it and makes it all watchable.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 16, 2016

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

I really enjoyed Kimmy Schmidt S2, maybe more than S1. Jeff Goldblum was a special surprise.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So yeah I finally started S4 of Orphan Black (why is it on Thursdays again?) and while it was a good episode - I don't have anything specific to talk about - I get the feeling again that watching this show I never really know what the throughline of each season is supposed to be. Like it gets all muddy in the middle and somehow comes out by the end to be about something else entirely. Maybe it's an artifact of the show's mythology that it just seems to get all jumbled up? I feel like I've watched more complicated or complex shows that have more clear throughlines each season. It's not like I'm not putting 100% into watching OB when I have it in front of me, it just feels like their mythology is really just all over the place with nothing to really tie it together.

I feel like when the clones get caught in some hijinks those parts are waaaaay more memorable than shady corporation who uses evolution in their mission statement looms over the clones' lives because evolution.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/search-for-the-next-mythbusters/search-for-the-next-mythbusters-about/

lol

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR8mNjE6ytc

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of funny how as soon as the show was over Discovery couldn't get rid of it faster, fobbing it off on Science Channel.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It's kind of funny how as soon as the show was over Discovery couldn't get rid of it faster, fobbing it off on Science Channel.

i wonder if they asked jamie and adam to come back and were turned down

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I noticed Documentary Now was on Netflix and I'd heard about it a year or so back, so I decided to give the first episode a watch.

I, uh... I don't have the words.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I NO MYTH BUSTER ANYMORE!

Fine, I'll mythbuster!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
TWoP's return will be great if the fametracker returns.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

I noticed Documentary Now was on Netflix and I'd heard about it a year or so back, so I decided to give the first episode a watch.

The words you should be looking for are "Hurry up with season two dammit."

As for Mythbusters, if someone had said three pages ago it had been cancelled in 2007 I would have believed them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FadingChord posted:

I NO MYTH BUSTER ANYMORE!

Fine, I'll mythbuster!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think the point of no return was "let's fire the secondary crew, including the attractive girl everyone likes."

Like the BBC is having trouble with Top Gear because Jeremy Clarkson is a scummy person who punched out a staffer who told him the kitchen was closed, the Science Channel are just cheapskates.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I feel like the Mythbusters have run their course. Yes, there's still stuff out there that would be interesting to do, but the show generally didn't do those, got old, and I hadn't watched it in years.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
They had a mishap with a cannonball around five years ago that could have easily killed someone but fortunately didn't. I was a little surprised that Discovery didn't cut ties with them at that point.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the myth is good

the buster is evil

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wonder how many parents are gonna throw a fit to Disney over the nice lesbian make out scene in tonights Once Upon a Time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lesbians are family-friendly now. Million Moms only give a poo poo if it's dudes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Season 2 of Kimmy Schmidt was good but I don't think anything is going to live up to finding out that the song that Titus plays when he's DJing in season 1 is an actual song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ac800ELs4U

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

GreenNight posted:

I wonder how many parents are gonna throw a fit to Disney over the nice lesbian make out scene in tonights Once Upon a Time.
It will be the epitome of no one cares

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think the point of no return was "let's fire the secondary crew, including the attractive girl everyone likes."

Like the BBC is having trouble with Top Gear because Jeremy Clarkson is a scummy person who punched out a staffer who told him the kitchen was closed, the Science Channel are just cheapskates.

I'm no Mythbusters aficionado, but I think the Build Team stuff got out of control and the show essentially became Savage and Hyneman handing off 60% of the show to them while they worked on the "main" myth. It's the main reason I gave up on the show years ago. I did think the final season was their strongest season since the early days though.

The show should stay dead though. They had a hell of a run.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

oshuaj posted:

I really enjoyed Kimmy Schmidt S2, maybe more than S1. Jeff Goldblum was a special surprise.

Finished up S2 of Kimmy Schmidt earlier tonight, and I thought it was much better than S1. Even the low points weren't anywhere near as bad as the bad parts from S1, like the OJ stuff, and Kimmy's dad. And the jokes seemed a bit funnier. I don't remember laughing as hard during S1 as I did at some of the better jokes in S2. (I giggle just thinking about Mike's grandma, and would love to have a copy of Now That Sounds Like Music.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cardboard Box A posted:

It will be the epitome of no one cares

Yeah, you've got to kills lesbians these days if you want to enrage nutters.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDDAa1If-u4

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm no Mythbusters aficionado, but I think the Build Team stuff got out of control and the show essentially became Savage and Hyneman handing off 60% of the show to them while they worked on the "main" myth. It's the main reason I gave up on the show years ago. I did think the final season was their strongest season since the early days though.

The show should stay dead though. They had a hell of a run.

It also meant the show spent more time on everybody fake acting ("Hey Adam, what are you doing today?") and of the 5 of them there were exactly 0 decent actors.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

raditts posted:

So... should I watch it?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cheerfullydrab posted:

So... should I watch it?

The promise of Documentary Now season two was like 85% of the reason I subscribed to the middle PlayStation VUE tier instead of the basic one.

You can miss a few jokes/references if you're not familiar with the documentaries they're parodying but overall the series is the funniest that Fred Armisen and Bill Hader have ever been in my books.

The final episode fell a little flat for me because it felt too much like a real documentary but the Al Capone ep continues to the be one of the funniest/greatest things I've ever seen and it's kinda disappointing that it isn't real.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think I've only seen the episode where they parody Vice, but I remember it being spot on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Documentary now is insanely good, especially if you have seen the original documentaries being, well, I dunno if lampooned is the right word.

The first one is almost a shot for shot remake of Grey Gardens just with Hader and Armisen saying the old ladies' lines.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FadingChord posted:

It also meant the show spent more time on everybody fake acting ("Hey Adam, what are you doing today?") and of the 5 of them there were exactly 0 decent actors.

and they always had to pretend what they were doing could work even when it was obviously not going to

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

The first one is almost a shot for shot remake of Grey Gardens just with Hader and Armisen saying the old ladies' lines.

I had not seen Grey Gardens and that episode totally worked for me, though it initially came off as a little Portlandiaesque (not a bad thing).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lelandjs posted:

I had not seen Grey Gardens and that episode totally worked for me, though it initially came off as a little Portlandiaesque (not a bad thing).

Yeah me neither, I was aware of it (mostly from Simpson's jokes) but I watched some clips after the Doc Now one, and that beginning part where she accosts the documentary guys and describes her outfit and stuff is word for word the same.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

and they always had to pretend what they were doing could work even when it was obviously not going to

That was always the thing that bugged me the most about the show, when they had to fake the sequence of events to make it seem more dramatic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jamie and Adam have a Youtube channel called Tested that is unrelated to Mythbusters. You can watch them (mostly just Adam) making stuff like lightsaber replicas or comic con costumes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

That was always the thing that bugged me the most about the show, when they had to fake the sequence of events to make it seem more dramatic.

Let's all hide behind the blast shield because this potato might E.X.P.L.O.D.E.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What I hated the most is when they would test a myth in a way that was only maybe-sorta analogous to the actual myth.

Like for their Hindenberg episode, they were way too loving lazy to see how a sealed envelope of hydrogen burned, so they just made a non-sealed blimp-shaped model, ran a hose into it, and pumped hydrogen into it and then lit it on fire. Congrats on testing whether you can burn hydrogen, I guess, and nothing about blimps or thermite.

Now, there's probably a great reason for it. Like, scale model of a blimp isn't going to have enough hydrogen in it to burn in the same way the real Hindenberg did, and it would almost certainly be hugely anticlimactic or non-characteristically explosive if they tried to do that. But still, when they pretend that their experiments are analogous to something and they clearly aren't, and they don't bother to discuss the differences between their experiments and the myth, it just bugs me.

See also when they did icecicle myths and they cast ice spikes in molds as their ice-cicles without ever addressing if the structure of a spike the made in the freeze is the same as one that forms by dripping. No poo poo humans can make sharp objects out of hard materials and stab them into stuff. That's not a loving myth.

• Locked thread