Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looking forward to going home and basking in the joy of the apparent buffs to the Astora Greatsword, which is a beautiful sword with a beautiful moveset.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Am I crazy, or are none of the levers in the cathedral actually required to be pulled to progress? In fact, I'm still not entirety sure what raisin those bridges accomplished.

I don't think any of them are required. They open up a couple alternate paths but I think that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Yardbomb posted:

Every nerf to magic only strengthens my invasion-boner.

no its fine, gently caress you, i still have my bluecop backup!! *limply continues casting great deep soul and pyromancies while running towards the nearest cliff* :qq:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
lol nerf sorceries, ignore miracles and pyromancy, noice.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Sultan Tarquin posted:

"people are crashing at bonfires? Well it's working for us, so I don't know what their problem is!"

JUST WEAR A FULL FACE HELM UNEQUIP YOUR SHIELD AND TURN LIGHTING DOWN TO LOW! who needs patches!?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

quadrophrenic posted:

area 2 spoilers ahead:

Isn't there a second boss in Undead Settlement? I talked to the giant, beat the tree balls, then ran past some really fuckin mean looking thing straight into Road of Sacrifices. I feel like I explored the area pretty well, but it's kinda labyrinthine so I may have missed something?

You missed 2. From the giant run down across the bridge and to the left into a tunnel. This is the back way in to a bonfire. Under the house with firebomb brigade is another one. Try rolling. You must have ran past this one to have missed the other one.

E: this means you missed a covenant too probably. Praise the soup

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

"people are crashing at bonfires? Well it's working for us, so I don't know what their problem is!"

To be fair, they have fixed this!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kashuno posted:

lol nerf sorceries, ignore miracles and pyromancy, noice.

Did pyromancy need an adjustment? I was under the impression it was already plenty strong (assuming you performed the necessary sacrifices of giving up three ring slots to boost it, like with all magic this time).

Miracles are supposedly fantastic once you get used to melee-range lightning spears, which is clearly intended, but I can't really confirm or deny that from my own experience.

As a former sorcerer, though, I feel bad for anyone who likes sorcery. I don't have any idea why they'd nerf the two magic-sword sorceries given that they both already sucked a whole lot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Emalde posted:

no its fine, gently caress you, i still have my bluecop backup!! *limply continues casting great deep soul and pyromancies while running towards the nearest cliff* :qq:

I got a chuckle out of plain old Deep Soul doing a big 30 damage to anything I tried it on.

quote:

As a former sorcerer, though, I feel bad for anyone who likes sorcery. I don't have any idea why they'd nerf the two magic-sword sorceries given that they both already sucked a whole lot.

I was pretty excited about using the soul greatsword magic as actual offensive attacks as a regular thing instead of the five casts you get in DS2, it's a bummer sorcery's so poo poo. I saw someone use the flashsword against me in pvp and it was cool, but also like three hits did almost nothing. Oh well. At least I can still puke rocks.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 18, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Did pyromancy need an adjustment? I was under the impression it was already plenty strong (assuming you performed the necessary sacrifices of giving up three ring slots to boost it, like with all magic this time).

Miracles are supposedly fantastic once you get used to melee-range lightning spears, which is clearly intended, but I can't really confirm or deny that from my own experience.

So far pyromancy is bonkers strong, vs literally every enemy and invader I've dealt with.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

TescoBag posted:

Where did you see this is fixed?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Decrepus posted:

You missed 2. From the giant run down across the bridge and to the left into a tunnel. This is the back way in to a bonfire. Under the house with firebomb brigade is another one. Try rolling. You must have ran past this one to have missed the other one.

E: this means you missed a covenant too probably. Praise the soup

do you mean the Giant Rat? Because I drop-stab that motherfucker on the reg

I'm pretty sure I know which covenant I missed Mound-makers and I don't mind too much

BTW I blame getting so convoluted in that area on starting as Assassin with the Spook spell and being unable to resist a tasty mysterious drop

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Kashuno posted:

So far pyromancy is bonkers strong, vs literally every enemy and invader I've dealt with.

Obviously mileage may vary, but I've been watching a bunch of random PvP stuff too and boy does pyro hit like a runaway train sometimes, for reasons I'm not entirely sure of.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kashuno posted:

I hope they don't nerf it. I want to play a pyromancer at some point. The flame effects just look so nice, and pyromancy has always been my favorite magic.

Yardbomb posted:

Obviously mileage may vary, but I've been watching a bunch of random PvP stuff too and boy does pyro hit like a runaway train sometimes, for reasons I'm not entirely sure of.

High base damage on spells and the ability to scale with two stats means that it gets off the ground a lot faster than other forms of magic.

Sorcery can actually melt poo poo in PvP, but it's entirely reliant on people being stupid enough to actually get hit by your Crystal Soul Spear or Soul Stream. See this video (big location spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-R3-n5p6t0

But take note how people just get nailed by super-slow spells because they don't know what to watch out for or don't know the timing yet. Once they do, this won't work anymore. If you get killed by a sorcerer one-on-one, that sorcerer is either really skilled or you done hosed up. Pyromancy has the advantage of being much more possible to free-aim, given its AoE nature.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 18, 2016

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

quadrophrenic posted:

area 2 spoilers ahead:

Isn't there a second boss in Undead Settlement? I talked to the giant, beat the tree balls, then ran past some really fuckin mean looking thing straight into Road of Sacrifices. I feel like I explored the area pretty well, but it's kinda labyrinthine so I may have missed something?

There is a mini-boss which you can reach by going halfway up the tower to a side area. There's also a side path in the shortcut/sewer which you need a key for. Grab the ashes in the graveyard and give them to the shrine maiden then she will sell it to you. There's also the sunbros covenant crest which you might have missed.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

TescoBag posted:

Huh, I think you're right. I just loaded the game up and my lighting was already on low so I put it to high and I haven't crashed yet.

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
Got sick of poo poo frame rates and getting kicked out of online mode during boss fights so I just ordered a 960 GTX. Any goons care to share their experience in this game with this card? I'm too poor to buy a 970 and I heard that also bizarrely suffers from stuttering issues in addition to bonfire crashes, which I have yet to suffer.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
...yeah, you know, I made my second character as an all around magic wielder in mind...buuuut, after getting access to some of the higher ranking pyromancies and swinging an Ultra Greatsword around, I think I'm just going to stick with being a pyromancer, because it's loving radical. I love the fire life.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Where do you buy poison arrows at?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Kashuno posted:

:hf:

pyromancy has allowed me to cruise control every "hard" boss so far
Ald 0 death
Pont 0 death
Aby 0 death
Danc 1 death

Where will this crazy train of 600 damage + 200 residual great chaos fire orbs end?

The only boss I've had a hard time with was Tree because lockons don't work and I had to learn to manually aim my fireballs.

And then you get invaders. If I get a single sacred fire hit, they're dead. And it's fantastic. People confused sacred fire for a taunt and did a bow in front of me lmao you idiot

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Mortimer posted:

Where will this crazy train of 600 damage + 200 residual great chaos fire orbs end?

There is one boss in Lothric who gives zero shits about any form of non-physical damage, but aside from that, never. It's nutso.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Don't phantoms get half estus as well? I just invaded with 3 estus but I fought a sunbro who used at least 4 during our fight I think. I'll review the video later.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
https://www.gamefaqs.com

Emalde
May 3, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

Don't phantoms get half estus as well? I just invaded with 3 estus but I fought a sunbro who used at least 4 during our fight I think. I'll review the video later.

You can have up to 15 estus via shards, which means 7 estus when playing as a phantom.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Lysandus posted:

Where do you buy poison arrows at?

You have to meet a Trusted Pal who definitely will NOT lock you in the Firelink Bell Tower. After that, he sells them

this gimmick owns bones btw

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What's the deal with the huge, plant bear - type things in Farron keep? They do huge damage and send their magic attacks after me, if their physical strength wasn't enough.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Emalde posted:

You can have up to 15 estus via shards, which means 7 estus when playing as a phantom.

I thought it was half of the hosts estus, thanks

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Is Blue Sentinels completely borked? I've been wearing the stupid parchment thingy since I got it but I never got summoned once... the symbol in the corner keeps blinking, and other summon/invasion mechanics are working fine.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Anal Surgery posted:

You have to meet a Trusted Pal who definitely will NOT lock you in the Firelink Bell Tower. After that, he sells them

Sounds like a good time.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mortimer posted:

:hf:

pyromancy has allowed me to cruise control every "hard" boss so far
Ald 0 death
Pont 0 death
Aby 0 death
Danc 1 death

The only boss I've had a hard time with was Tree because lockons don't work and I had to learn to manually aim my fireballs.

And then you get invaders. If I get a single sacred fire hit, they're dead. And it's fantastic. People confused sacred fire for a taunt and did a bow in front of me lmao you idiot

I don't even have the good spells yet, just fire orb and great combust, and it's hilarious. Connect with one great combust and it's pretty much over.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Toiwat posted:

Is Blue Sentinels completely borked? I've been wearing the stupid parchment thingy since I got it but I never got summoned once... the symbol in the corner keeps blinking, and other summon/invasion mechanics are working fine.

You and everyone else have blue sentinels equipped. Bluecops don't get called for like 30 seconds after the invasion, and a lot can happen in 30 seconds.

DXH posted:

Got sick of poo poo frame rates and getting kicked out of online mode during boss fights so I just ordered a 960 GTX. Any goons care to share their experience in this game with this card? I'm too poor to buy a 970 and I heard that also bizarrely suffers from stuttering issues in addition to bonfire crashes, which I have yet to suffer.

970 no stutter no crashes. You heard wrong :smaug:

Emalde posted:

There is one boss in Lothric who gives zero shits about any form of non-physical damage, but aside from that, never. It's nutso.

Huh, which one is this? I'm at the very top, I sure hope it's that boss otherwise I think I'm out of bosses.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Toiwat posted:

Super inconsistent, not sure what the problem was. Tried messing with port forwarding even.

If I put down my soapstone I get summoned instantly, if I try to invade I find some world to invade after like 12 seconds, but I spend literally hours with wolfbro or bluecop badge on and blinking and no summons.

I've gotten 2 wolf summons and 0 bluecop summons in my entire life. Not sure what the problem is, hopefully the patch that dropped today addresses it somewhat?

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yes everybody gets half estus except the host. Rounded down. If he had 4 then he just has more estus total than you do. (8 vs 6)

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Public service announcement:

No matter how cool the Great Corvian Scythe is, don't use it on Deacons of the Deep. It causes bleed buildup on you with every target it hits.

:gibs:

The bloodborne-mechanic ring really came to it's own in that fight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

I've gotten 2 wolf summons and 0 bluecop summons in my entire life. Not sure what the problem is, hopefully the patch that dropped today addresses it somewhat?

1 and 1 for me, and the host died before I saw them in the wolf summon case.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

So apparently every greatsword and the two weaker ultra greatswords got buffs, which makes me happy, given that one of my favorite weapons is one of the buffed ones. Hooray!

I'm hearing from some people that miracles don't need buffs at all--they suck in the early game but beat the poo poo out of sorceries in the late-game, provided you're willing to fight close-range and not stand back casting. But I haven't tried them myself so I can't really comment.

:rip: sorcerers

As someone whose first run is Miracle only 'they're great late-game' is not very helpful. :qq: At this point all I'm getting for Miracles is some extra out-of-combat healing and free weapon buffs (although you don't get Lightning Blade until halfway through the game and I haven't noticed a single boss being weak to Dark). Not that I'm gonna claim to be worse off than the poor Sorcerers.

Also I hear Lightning Spears get good at high Faith but I'll just step in and say that at level 60 with 30 Faith, they literally hit for less at point-blank range than a single hit from my buffed weapon. Against Pontiff I was Spearing for ~240 while each of my one-handed hits did ~280 - 90 with Dark Blade. And at medium range, Standard Arrows from my +5 Longbow almost matches the damage at ~140 vs ~160 for Lightning Spear. There's just never been a time where I felt like casting Lightning Spear was the best option.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Mortimer posted:

Huh, which one is this? I'm at the very top, I sure hope it's that boss otherwise I think I'm out of bosses.

It was the one before the Archives.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kashuno posted:

I don't even have the good spells yet, just fire orb and great combust, and it's hilarious. Connect with one great combust and it's pretty much over.

Really looking forward to my planned pyro playthrough, then. It's my favorite magic. Too bad you can't do Chaos infusions until fairly late but raw should be enough until then.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I started a sorcerer in this game because I'd always been a heavy weapons smash-man in all of the other souls but it looks like I picked a pretty bad time to jump over?

I kind of expected to poo poo damage but be made of paper and fold completely if somebody got up on me, but so far I'm only seeing the latter with none of the former. Is that just how it is in this game to make up for how powerful sorcery was the last few times around?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Insurrectionist posted:

As someone whose first run is Miracle only 'they're great late-game' is not very helpful. :qq: At this point all I'm getting for Miracles is some extra out-of-combat healing and free weapon buffs (although you don't get Lightning Blade until halfway through the game and I haven't noticed a single boss being weak to Dark). Not that I'm gonna claim to be worse off than the poor Sorcerers.

Take my advice, as someone who was running a Dex/Faith build...don't do a faith only build. You're going to be lacking for a long time, and in my opinion things don't start improving (damage wise, utility wise miracles are great) until the point where you can get Great Lightning Spear from the max rank Sunbro Altar.

EDIT: Another point in pyromancies' favor is that you can throw fire Destructo Discs and cast Kaioken. You can BE Goku.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 18, 2016

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

Azazell0 posted:

What's the deal with the huge, plant bear - type things in Farron keep? They do huge damage and send their magic attacks after me, if their physical strength wasn't enough.
I honestly don't know. They're completely terrifying and I just recently went back to kill them like 4-5 areas later and it's not like the items they were guarding were all that great! Honestly I think they'd be fine if it wasn't for most of them being in deep-swamp areas where you can't even run, as it is I just needed more projectiles. Affinity and Soul Spear as an artillery barrage is kinda scary.

Speaking of, as someone whose makes a lot of use of Sorcery in pvp, I barely notice the great/flashsword nerf at all. With 22 Dex and the Sage's Ring I can tell there's like an extremely tiny delay increase on Flashsword, which will probably be gone by the time I hit 30-35 Dex wherever I decide to keep it, and I can't tell the difference on Greatsword at all. And if not, there's always the Witchtree branch, that was my staff in DaS2 and the damage hit was absolutely worth the speed then. Seriously though, Affinity and Flashsword are both actually very good pvp spells, if you mix it up with actual melee every now and then. Affinity will either hit them or drive them into your other spells(Great Deep Soul, even Soul Spear and Dark Edge I've had some success with)/attacks and Flashsword is an excellent finisher since it's magic damage and can't be parried.

Overall the thing I noticed from this patch the most was the Dancer's Twinswords, which I was starting to regret upgrading, got buffed. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Also I hear Lightning Spears get good at high Faith but I'll just step in and say that at level 60 with 30 Faith, they literally hit for less at point-blank range than a single hit from my buffed weapon. Against Pontiff I was Spearing for ~240 while each of my one-handed hits did ~280 - 90 with Dark Blade. And at medium range, Standard Arrows from my +5 Longbow almost matches the damage at ~140 vs ~160 for Lightning Spear. There's just never been a time where I felt like casting Lightning Spear was the best option.

Do you have the miracle boosting rings? Magic of all kinds is really reliant on damage-boosting rings this time, which is a weird choice.

I think miracles are fully intended to support a melee style, even when you're at very high Faith, but they apparently own at that. And it's worth noting that "high Faith" this time means 60, not 40.