Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Rodyle posted:

A triangle of buttholes

Now that I think about it, there are so many buttholes at this table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"She was lying on a mirror!"

This podcast has a tendency to go for the low hanging fruit sometimes but goddamn if it isn't strong stuff despite that

E: ugh they brought the flower back

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 23, 2016

rembrant
Feb 5, 2006

I believe in Mr. Grieves.
Huh, I guess Magic Tavern is on Earwolf now- that explains the server move for the back episodes. I hope they're able to incorporate the ads naturally into the announcer's frame-story (but also hope this means they'll get some money for making a great show).

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

rembrant posted:

Huh, I guess Magic Tavern is on Earwolf now- that explains the server move for the back episodes. I hope they're able to incorporate the ads naturally into the announcer's frame-story (but also hope this means they'll get some money for making a great show).

Oh cool, I didn't know that. Earwolf seems to be pretty solid about handling non-CBB shows so they should be in good hands. Honestly I wouldn't mind if they dropped or greatly cut down the announcer story, it had some good moments but recently just drags and seems to be a low-grade improv team next to the humor of the main episode. It's not terrible but seems like a low energy riff that doesn't add much.

The show got a good press this week in AV Club's Podmass, including Chunt getting mention in the quotes of the week.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

djwetmouse posted:

The worst thing possible has happened to me, I binged and now I'm all caught up.

This is my worst fear. I actually have to reserve listening to the podcasts for commutes or times I don't want to speak to people in public. The show recently got a mention in the npr podcast pop culture happy hour. So things are looking right the hell up for our cute little podcast.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Aw yeah baaabyyy

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

There is a huge write up in the Chicago Reader about the show. Lots of cool background info, new art, and critical information about what went into creating Clacks the Skeleton:

quote:

But a great episode isn't contingent upon the guest being so well versed in the show, as evidenced by episode 41, "Skeleton," in which TJ Jagodowski (of iO's legendary weekly show TJ & Dave) plays Clacks the Skeleton. Jagodowski knew less about the world of Foon than many guests.

"Their world is pretty intact, they've been living in it for a year now," Jagodowski says. "You can choose to either be intimidated by their experience, or you can choose to look at it as, 'Oh my gosh, they're so comfortable here.' You have a bigger safety net to work with. They just made me feel like there's really nothing you can do to throw them. They've gotten used to this temperature of the water, so I could just fall into their experience."

"Officially I'm the working class of the undead," Jagodowski's skeleton says of his job as low-level security in a dungeon, and most of the humor in the episode comes from the three cohosts peppering him with questions about his backstory and daily life, ending with Clacks offering to boost Arnie's confidence by letting him win a dungeon fight: "I'll take a dive, baby!"

"I imagine a skeleton that works in a dungeon is just so thrilled to be around the living," Jagodowski says. "It was a point of view I could play of just being so happy to be invited. It's like if the Carson show invited up some tiny stand-up comic, he'd just be so thrilled to be there."

Well worth a read!: Behold! The off-the-wall, always-growing world of Hello From the Magic Tavern

Also, I saw on Twitter that Arnie and crew will be doing a live show at PAX East! This show is booming.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

God drat it, I didn't get it until he straight up said.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The quality of the in-world ads is way up lately. The law firm ad was phenomenal.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
What episode number had gas my anus? I am still catching up and every episode that isn't that one I can't fully enjoy.

oneof27 fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 29, 2016

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I think it's Otok's Quest, cause Krom comes up with it

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

Nemico posted:

I think it's Otok's Quest, cause Krom comes up with it

Awesome. Downloading now for laughter during my commute.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Was someone vacuuming in the background or something in the latest episode? It sounded a lot noisier than normal.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

I am definitely not a fan of Trisha.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Now that Caustic soda is fuckin' dead, this is my favourite podcast, every other podcast is backlogged two weeks since I binged this one during my regular podcast times.

I'm glad that Arnie isn't just a piece of poo poo anymore, I felt bad early on as it seemed like they just beat up on him and other then the podcast he was a sad sack. Now, atleast, he has some tangible goals.

Though it's weird that they've felt like they had to give some of the characters concrete direction, with Arnie and Chuntttttt dealing with immediate on going issues.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

User-Friendly posted:

Was someone vacuuming in the background or something in the latest episode? It sounded a lot noisier than normal.

Sounded really weird, like maybe Blemish converted a portion of the Minotaur into a laundromat?

edit: 57 sounded fine, I'd almost say scrap 56? The guest wasn't that great and the audio was awful

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

I started listening to this podcast about a week ago after seeing this thread, and it's definitely my favourite now. Unfortunately I'm now all caught up so it's back to waiting a week between episodes.

This is exactly the right balance between improv and continuity - I guess ultra-long-form improv? - for me personally. Goddamn it's awesome.

In some of the early episodes Arnold says he was trying to poke notes through the dimensional portal at the Burger King in Chicago -- I wonder if they were actually leaving notes at that location for fans (or more likely, random strangers) to find? =D

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

User-Friendly posted:

It sounds like they got the mix a bit wrong with respect to the "generic background tavern noise" that they add. Seems like a one-off mistake.

I hope they continue putting in the very low background noise and don't abandon that, I really like it. By which I mean I don't notice it, but I think I would if it wasn't there, if that makes sense.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,as someone who just got into the 'cast (on Ep.22),any episodes to skip/avoid? Based on previous posts,56 sounds skippable,and any episodes involving Trisha apparently.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

So,as someone who just got into the 'cast (on Ep.22),any episodes to skip/avoid? Based on previous posts,56 sounds skippable,and any episodes involving Trisha apparently.

They're all perfectly fine.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah I wouldn't skip any since it weirdly has a continuity

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The hosts are always funny, so by the time you realize that a guest is not funny you're already too far into the episode to quit. Plus, the hosts will keep on being funny, so it's mostly ok. I stand by saying you shouldn't listen to 56 unless you're ok with loud, distracting background noise though.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
56 sounds fine, if any are skippable it's the live audience ones.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

dipple posted:

56 sounds fine, if any are skippable it's the live audience ones.

But the live one had the return of Flower.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

So Adal Rifai (Chunt) has a new podcast called Siblings Peculiar
I got a few chuckles out of it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Drunkboxer posted:

But the live one had the return of Flower.

And Spants and Glenn Miller doing songs.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Good episode this week. Are the buttholes even real?????

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

there has never been anything in which this is good

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

he knows...
I rolled my eyes a bit with the latest episode but they still managed to make it hilarious as always.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Decent episode with the Singing Sword and Jak, but what really amazed me was the idea that someone would hate ads so much that they would manually edit them all out

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The ads aren't even remotely bad in this.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

he knows...
I don't mind the ads at all but I really hate the end show ad for ear wolf at the end. It comes with the territory though, so nothing to be done about it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I wonder if Kidneybeaver stepping in took some kind of time crunch off the show. Arnie being so ineffectual on his quest for the Lunar Sword is a big part of the joke, of course, but it does feel like maybe they knew they only had enough capital to produce another few months worth of episodes, then realized they might be able to continue for years, so stuff like Otok's Quest and whatever is really happening with the Mysterious Man got extended/pushed back.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Keep in mind that nothing is scripted.

So Otok's quest gets updates when they can get those three in a room together.

And the rest of it advances when it comes up in conversation and somebody makes something up.

The level of continuity that exists as it is, is, frankly, a miracle.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
For sure! The fact that the cast can keep their stories mostly straight is one of the stronger selling points of the show.

I guess, not really knowing anything about their recording process other than it presumably takes place in Chicago, the quest seems like it could have been knocked out over a long weekend and divvied up into however many parts instead of recorded in five minute chunks here and there. Maybe that's exactly what they did and the next update will kick things into high gear. I don't know.

If my only real complaint about the show is that I would like more of the story, I don't actually have any real complaints.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So this might be an impossible questions but I'm trying to find one specific instance of Usidore's introduction for a project I'm working on. The one I'm thinking of he really hits GREAT HALLS OF TARAKAS! as hard as he can but then drops down into that dramatic whisper for the "Elves know me as.."

Does that ring any bells or should I just go back to digging through the archive for every instance of his name?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So this might be an impossible questions but I'm trying to find one specific instance of Usidore's introduction for a project I'm working on. The one I'm thinking of he really hits GREAT HALLS OF TARAKAS! as hard as he can but then drops down into that dramatic whisper for the "Elves know me as.."

Does that ring any bells or should I just go back to digging through the archive for every instance of his name?

He kind of does that most every time?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I started listening to this show about a week ago and just listened to episode 11, "Eunuch", today. The way the others call out and gang up on him is really slaying me - in this episode they're outright calling him an rear end in a top hat and it's great.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Best podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Okay, I'm really looking forward to the Offices & Bosses premium podcast when it comes out.

• Locked thread