Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Platforms: iOS/Android

Release Date:
Japan September 2013
North America April 2016

Cost:
Free-to-Play with In-App Microtransactions

What the hell is Kingdom Hearts doing on my phone?
This game explains the events of the start of the Kingdom Hearts timeline, specifically the events leading up to the Keyblade Wars.

Does it feel like Kingdom Hearts?
Heck Yes It Does! Includes multiple series hallmarks:

~ Cheerful, Bright Color Palette
~In-Depth Keyblade Combat
~A grab-bag of Disney & Final Fantasy characters
~Levels almost completely devoid of NPCs (Although Agrabah has a guard now!)

How “Free” is Free-to-Play? (Prrrrrrrretty Free, Not Obnoxious or In Your Face!)
A catch-all currency system for this game is Jewels.
You are awarded Jewels every day for logging in, for completing 5 new missions in a row, or for completing Bonus Missions. You can also buy jewels for Real Money.

Jewels allow you to:
* Purchase Medals (new attacks you can randomly win)
* Purchase Avatar Boards (Special Costumes that are marginally nicer than all the free armor you get for progressing)
* Refill your AP meter (every level requires AP to run, although this meter also refills every time you level up)
* Increase your Medal Cap (this is important as you’ll reach this quickly through any normal play)

The games progression is gated behind the grinding of your combat medals. Every day of the week offers a specific set of mats that you can grind via repeatable bonus levels. For real money ($15.00 US) you can unlock all the bonus levels for a week, functionally allowing unlimited grinding until you were such high level that you couldn’t level up from replaying missions over and over.

VERDICT: Such as it is, I personally have no desire to spend money on this game, despite playing it regularly, because of the way the bonus levels are gated, the game basically forces you to put it down at some point because you just can’t grind out anymore stuff for your Medals or Keyblades.

Getting Started:

Download:
iOS: For your iPhone or iPad
Android: For your Android Phone

Choose Your Faction:
This determines what friendship medals you have access to as well as your bonus at the end of each week.The five factions are Anguis, Leopardos, Unicornis, Ursus, and Vulpeus.

Get in a Goon Guild:

ANGUIS
Party: Taxeom
Play Style: Core
Members:

LEOPARDOS

UNICORNIS

URSUS
Awxful
Hardcore

VULPEUS
Party: Noxog
Play Style: Hardore
Members: 30/30

Laith
Cliff
Kotexx
Gaxta
Adel
Raxivace
Andi
Exia
HGH
Nicaden
Ayndin
Nanami
Ashye
Nixon
Rafza
Zelyon
Kahre
Nemo
Kheldarn
J-Spot
Crimson
Volfogg
Spanky
Scarlet
Cagney
Tyet
Gawain
Candux
fallin
Arios

Party: Ungooned
Play Style: Core

Pair your ID with Facebook (Optional, but recommended)
This game's data is stored locally. If you erase your game and re-download it, all of your medals, keyblades, mission progress, everything is gone forever. The only way to back up the data as of now is to pair it with Facebook, so do so!

Gameplay (Chain of Memories vs. Rock Scissors except the bad guys don’t really fight back)
This game is balanced around the core concept of Rock, Paper, Scissors except it’s Strength (Red)->Speed (Green)->Magic (Blue). For example, If I have equipped a Strength Medal, I will deal regular damage to Red Heartless, 50% more damage to Green Heartless, and 50% less damage to Blue Heartless.

You control your avatar using your finger & touch screen a la’ Diablo. Your avatar will enter a level and choose a Keyblade to equip. Each different keyblade provides bonuses to specific colors, and the mission select screen indicates whether you are more likely to encounter Red, Green, or Blue Heartless.
You fight Heartless by bumping into them and open stuff by tapping it.
In Combat you get one attack for each medal you have equipped to your keyblade in addition to a single Friend Medal from some other person in your faction each turn. A tap deals a single target blow, a swipe evenly distributes damage, and dragging the Medal towards the middle uses the medal’s special attack, summoning the Disney or Final Fantasy Character pictured to perform a special attack. At the end of your turn the Heartless attack you, then you go again. The game is largely balanced around finishing off your opponents before they can respond and you are heavily rewarded and incentivized to do so.

Raid Bosses
Every 75 Heartless you kill summons a Raid Boss. A Raid Boss is a monstrous Heartless with multiple attackable body parts that will guaranteed kill you in one hit no matter what. You work with your party by attacking them over and over again until they die for rewards to everyone who helped killing them.

Leveling Up & Evolving Medals

You get Medals from completing missions or buying them in 3/5/10 packs with Jewels. Each Medal has stats and a level. As you increase a Medal's level its stats go up, and once it has achieved maximum level you can Evolve it into a more powerful form, going from 1-6.

Q: Where can I farm Evolution medals outside of Daily Missions?
A:
Cheshire Cat: 63
Merlin: 158
Fairy Godmother: 148, 174, 194
Yen Sid: 174, 194
Mickey: 270 (LOL NA)

As you progress through missions you will receive Avatar Points, which you can spend on Avatar Boards to improve your stats and unlock cosmetic items to make your Avatar look however you want.
Guide for what Avatar Boards unlock by level

Guilt
By merging 3* Medals or higher with identical evolution levels, you can improve on their latent special abilities.

KHInsider’s crystal clear breakdown of the Guilt System

USEFUL INFORMATION, Tips & Tricks

Japanese Tier List
English Tier List, transcribed from a different Japanese website onto reddit

Zotix posted:

Just an FYI when you look at a skill, if it's just the sun looking thing it's single target. If it's got like a shockwave around it, it's an AoE.

Kheldarn posted:

Medal Equip Cost: Your Medals all have a Cost value assigned to them. You can equip Medals on a Keyblade up to the total Cost value. Unlocking Cost +1 nodes on the Avatar Boards increases this. Poorly named. It really should be Capacity.
Equipping Medals: You can equip the same Medal to multiple Keyblades, once you get more. So, for example, if you have a KH II Aerith Medal, you can equip it on every Keyblade you own.
Sharing A Medal: You can share a Medal for people to use. I think it's available to anyone playing the game, and not just memebers of your Party, but I could be wrong. Go to Menu > Medals, tap the one you want to share, and then tap the Share button on the info screen that pops up. A shared Medal will have silver sparkles to denote that it's shared.

Allarion posted:

"Skills" are special passive abilities that sometimes appear on medals drawn from Rare and Premium draws, or which are added to medals by melding with a Scrooge medal. Skills have a chance of activating when a medal is used, or when a special condition is met.
Skills can be transferred from one medal to another through melding. A medal with a skills has a 20% chance of transferring if it is in the first melding slot. If the skill is at it's maximum level, then the chance of transfer improves to 100%.

DontMindMe posted:

1. Get Wakka to 6* and keep him at level 1 (make sure he doesn't have additional skill, like poison, attack up, etc.)
2. Go to stage 57.
3. Spam his ability on every group (make sure remaining team finishes off group in first turn)
4. Get 1000 Lux for 3 AP
5. Add in second wakka/riku for more fun/lux (my current setup pulls in 1400)
Wakka is better than KH1 Riku since he does less damage (but you still get decent lux with Riku)

OhFunny posted:

I discovered a neat thing. If you tap the AP bar it shows you how long it takes until the entire bar fills in addition to the time to the next AP.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

You can chain-feed certain medals for extra XP! Maybe everyone else knows this already but I found an interesting recipe. I have a green medal I want to buff up and for fodder I had a 1* green XP medal (Louie?), and a 1* Lv1 Stitch medal. The XP medal would give me 360 XP, and the Stitch would give me 45. Then I fed the XP medal to the Stitch, got a standard result (no "great" bonus or anything), which pushed Stitch to Lv7, and he's now worth over 800 XP. I don't know if this works with any other medal, or even other tiers of this Stitch medal, but hopefully this is useful information. (also hopefully someone has already made a big list somewhere with all these XP tables :v:)

Nomadic Scholar posted:

idk if anyone said this already, but when you try to chain exp onto something, it only works if you are feeding a copy of the thing you're trying to level.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

How Chip and Dale medals work (SAVE THESE FOR YOUR 6* MEDALS!!!)
The Chip and Dale medals add extra stats to your other medals. Chip adds strength and Dale adds defense. You fuse them to your "real" medals to get the bonus. After you fuse, go view the target medal's stat page and you will see the bonus listed next to the stat. For example, if you had a medal with 3500 strength and fused a +150 Chip medal, afterward it will be listed as "3500 +150".

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Looks good. Thanks, Bust!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Excellent thread, thanks Bust!

This is also now the Cloud/Mushu AOE appreciation station

e: Whoever is admin of Noxog (Klungar? i forget sorry) can you take a look at the party list? We got a couple of dudes that either haven't played in a while or still have Donald equipped (basically inactive). We can start to get some other people in. I am also not sure, but you may be able to make others admin if you can't/are unable to play so they can handle it

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 18, 2016

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Yeah, I was just about to ask if people were thinking we should kick some inactives, as well as who would like to be an admin, since I haven't had much time to play myself in the past week.

e: There are two spots now open in Noxog.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 18, 2016

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Put the "how to share medals" post at the top in bold so we don't keep getting one star Donald's for friends.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Does this mean it's canon that goons caused the Keyblade War? :v:

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

Just jumped ship to Vulpes and looking for goons.

Id: 67560

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Strenots posted:

Just jumped ship to Vulpes and looking for goons.

Id: 67560

Invite sent.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
On the subject of sharing medals, it helps to assess your guild's list of shared medals and see if you can fill any deficiencies in a medal type. Noxog, for instance, has Cagney's KH II Cloud medal which is a power medal with ~9300 attack, has Attack Plus, costs 2 gauges, and hits all enemies multiple times. You can't really do any better than that, however when it comes to magic medals, I think the best we have is Kotexx's which is a KH II Mickey which has something like ~6600 attack, costs 3 gauges, and hits everything once. It's strong, but the 3 gauge cost isn't ideal and the single hit doesn't help replenish your gauges mid-fight. If someone drew a better magic medal (ie 2 gauges, hits everything multiple times) but is sharing a power medal, they would better serve the guild by sharing that magic medal.

On another note, sharing medals that increase strength for a turn don't help at all because they hit a single target for a pittance and that buff disappears when your turn ends (ie before you can attack again), rendering it a wasted special attack.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad you made this thread. I ended up giving myself a hangover so it was going to be difficult.

Edit: Awxful is a great Goon clan!

Agoat fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 18, 2016

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Klungar posted:

Yeah, I was just about to ask if people were thinking we should kick some inactives, as well as who would like to be an admin, since I haven't had much time to play myself in the past week.

e: There are two spots now open in Noxog.

You can toss me admin if you want, I'll be sticking around for the foreseeable future

RE: blue medal sharing, I have an Auron that I'm strongly considering taking to 6* next, his total hits rise from 2 to 3 and the damage multiplier jumps up to 1.99x, so I'm...half predicting it'll do about 15k damage to reds, which is not insignificant

Although I also have a Yuffie, which afaik doesn't get another hit but hits all targets for a random amount between 1.59 to 2.44x multiplier, and deals more damage to paralyzed targets...

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

How did I not know this existed? gently caress the lovely star wars game I was playing, jumping ship to get some Kingdom Hearts. Am downloading updates for it now, and drat, just the music makes me nostalgic.

Edit: So I should join Vulpes to play with goons?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

KittyEmpress posted:

How did I not know this existed? gently caress the lovely star wars game I was playing, jumping ship to get some Kingdom Hearts. Am downloading updates for it now, and drat, just the music makes me nostalgic.

Edit: So I should join Vulpes to play with goons?

Yes; post your friend ID and someone will vacuum you up into a group (if I have admin i'll get you into noxog)

e: speaking of music, does anyone have a rip or mp3 of the opening theme that plays during the load-in/while you're at the home screen?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Rafza posted:

Yes; post your friend ID and someone will vacuum you up into a group (if I have admin i'll get you into noxog)

e: speaking of music, does anyone have a rip or mp3 of the opening theme that plays during the load-in/while you're at the home screen?

Is this it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXk1Z_znB6Q

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I gave you admin, Rafza, but we only have one spot open and OP already has an outstanding invite/reservation for it.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Klungar posted:

I gave you admin, Rafza, but we only have one spot open and OP already has an outstanding invite/reservation for it.

oh, rip kittyempress. i'll regularly go through and prune people inactive for a week or more then since i think we'll get a small deluge of players with the new thread

Yes! Weird, I searched youtube and couldn't find anything. i guess i'm just bad

I love the part at :50 onwards

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Well, my ID is 969169 [i think], for when there is eventually more room. If there is.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

I'm such a sucker for Dearly Beloved and all its variants. It's a really simple song yet still so beautiful. They could have done so much worse for the menu music.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Should I upgrade all my keyblades? Just the starting one? Not the starting one?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Yes upgrade them all

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

KittyEmpress posted:

Upgrade them all. It's recommended that you max-upgrade Starlight, as a good, balanced keyblade will serve you well in later missions where the enemies types start to become balanced between two or three colors.

Currently, until new missions come out, you can only fully upgrade 2 keyblades (three if you count Olympia, I guess) and partially upgrade the other two.

For example, I have a +20 Starlight (Balanced, favoring Blue/Green) and a +20 Treasure Trove (Power), while also having a +11 Lady Luck (Speed) and a +14 Three Wishes (Magic). Your second beyblade can be whatever complements your best medals.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm afraid I'm at a point where I'm going to have to make an upgrade decision. We're cut off at level 200 right? I have multiple blades needing upgrades and only one Orichalcum.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, gonna start kicking inactives too, and someone left, so Ungooned has 2 spots open.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

KittyEmpress posted:

Well, my ID is 969169 [i think], for when there is eventually more room. If there is.

Sent you an invite.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

New Leaf posted:

I'm afraid I'm at a point where I'm going to have to make an upgrade decision. We're cut off at level 200 right? I have multiple blades needing upgrades and only one Orichalcum.

Correct.

For what it's worth, I feel that Starlight and Three Wishes are actually the best ones to upgrade assuming you have or can obtain solid blue medals; I went red because my red medals are extremely good, but the recent rash of missions has left me wishing I went blue instead (the final event mission, for example, is full red and I simply can't oneturn the enemies with my red setup)

e: I'm about to splurge on this dumb game so expect to see a 6* max level hopefully guilted Auron coming your way, noxog

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 18, 2016

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

If you have even a single good Power medal then make Olympia your best friend immediately.

Also, hey new kids, join Vulpes! We win stuff.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

DrakePegasus posted:

If you have even a single good Power medal then make Olympia your best friend immediately.

Why? Just the 2x? I'd rather have the 5th slot open than 2x. Why don't we get the 5th slot on that sword anyway? I've literally never used it because of that.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 18, 2016

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

For true Ursa faithful, Awxful is your local goon outpost. Put your ingame name and ID into this google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YbaCLjftanhqselcgKN065pYjEYd0Y1DAORcinINffQ/edit
Then make sure you're not sharing the default one star Donald medal! Under our new management (me, I guess, for some reason??) we are purging all default Donalds, because I'm fuckin sick of seeing that bastard in my support lists.

e:

New Leaf posted:

Why? Just the 2x? I'd rather have the 5th slot open than 2x. Why don't we get the 5th slot on that sword anyway? I've literally never used it because of that.
The final tier of Olympus upgrades will get unlocked once the Olympus Underworld missions get added to our available story quests. There's also one last plot keyblade we don't have yet, Divine Rose.

Heatwizard fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 19, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Allarion posted:

Sent you an invite.

Thank you! I am in it now!

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

New Leaf posted:

So you can put your 6-star Cloud in it and make Darkside cry.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Thanks again for making this thread!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Great thread! Thanks for making it!

Also, you missed this:

Kheldarn posted:

Found a larger version of the Boss Raid image:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

So wait, for the Guilt bonus, you have to fuse past the five dots? Which is why you need two 6* with 3 and 2 dots already? Because you will get five dots if you fuse two 6* medals with two dots each.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Are all characters 'viable' if raised up? Like, can I take a one star of a character I like a lot, and eventually turn it into a 6 star that's worth having? Because I'd much rather make a bunch of medals of characters I like, than just 'optimize'

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Are all characters 'viable' if raised up? Like, can I take a one star of a character I like a lot, and eventually turn it into a 6 star that's worth having? Because I'd much rather make a bunch of medals of characters I like, than just 'optimize'

Nothing in the game yet is so difficult that you need to have optimal loadouts. Cure is mostly unhelpful, and attacks that cost three bars of MP are a pain in the rear end, but you can get away with most anything. Also, unlike PAD, what you run and what you broadcast to your friends can be different, so you can send a glitzy Cloud you rolled while still attacking with five Wakkas or whatever.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Heatwizard posted:

Nothing in the game yet is so difficult that you need to have optimal loadouts. Cure is mostly unhelpful, and attacks that cost three bars of MP are a pain in the rear end, but you can get away with most anything. Also, unlike PAD, what you run and what you broadcast to your friends can be different, so you can send a glitzy Cloud you rolled while still attacking with five Wakkas or whatever.

Oh please.

I want a five Donald party, clearly.

Edit: wait actually, are any Nightmare characters in the game? I haven't seen any so far, but that'd definitely be my first pick.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 18, 2016

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Nightmare as in Nightmare Before Christmas? Yeah, but not in the English version yet.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Re: Olympia, my treasure trove at cap gives me a fifth slot and a 1.8x multiplier for whatever red I slot into it. Its better until olympia gets the last slot unlocked.

e: I'm almost done with the first event board, the last event stage is not worth running unless your magic medals are stellar. It works out to be about a 30 medal increase on average, but requires twice the work/effort to slap down a two-health-bar fat bandit and 1.5 health bar defender, whereas you can aoe down all the trash in the second stage in one turn as long as you have some decent-to-good green/red medals.

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 19, 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It should be mentioned that the multiple hits medals don't multiply the total damage done by the amount of hits; just go by the multiplier only for top damage.

For example, a 10-hit 2x medal doesn't do 20x damage. It does 2x damage, split over 10 hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

It should be mentioned that the multiple hits medals don't multiply the total damage done by the amount of hits; just go by the multiplier only for top damage.

For example, a 10-hit 2x medal doesn't do 20x damage. It does 2x damage, split over 10 hits.

Jeez that really takes the kick out of the multiple hit medals.