Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TommyGun85 posted:

why not just enable no encounters and 9999 damage....or better yet, just watch a lets play of ffix on youtube.
You can't force the Lets Player to name everyone Sephiroth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Super Speed
9999 damage
Full HP/MP/Trance
No Encounters
Master Abilities Instantly
Max Level/Ability Stones
Max Gil

E: VVV You don't get abilities from equipment you don't have in your inventory.

that's cool, the mastering abilities and gil cheats are (i imagine) very helpful for late game grinding and i'll prob use them then

or not, i have never played 9 so i don't actually know how useful abilities are or if there's anything to buy with gil

no encounters is really helpful for low-level runs, that's nice as heck

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

TommyGun85 posted:

why not just enable no encounters and 9999 damage....or better yet, just watch a lets play of ffix on youtube.

They aren't really designed to be kept on all of the time. You can do that of course, but then it defeats the purpose of the game unless you are purely playing for the story (nothing wrong with this).

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

They aren't really designed to be kept on all of the time. You can do that of course, but then it defeats the purpose of the game unless you are purely playing for the story (nothing wrong with this).

all the cheats except the speed up (as long as you aren't using it to cheese Hot and Cold) defeat the purpose of playing the game if you're trying to play it to actually play it and not just mess around with cheats for fun. if you take the already small chance of defeat (I don't think I've ever died from something that wasn't Ozma or those loving Yans) away, you might as well just be watching a let's play

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

okay

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's a port of a 16 year old game I'm pretty sure most of the people buying it are replaying it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

can't believe people think they can get away with trivializing this easy singleplayer JRPG

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't buy into the "might as well watch an LP" argument. Never have. The speed at which I click through text, the way I absorb the environment and dialogue, the way I progress through the game is all uniquely mine.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

mycot posted:

It's a port of a 16 year old game I'm pretty sure most of the people buying it are replaying it.

yeah but why. like I'm not saying people shouldn't. I just don't get why you'd buy it again if you find older JRPGs tedious today

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

morallyobjected posted:

yeah but why. like I'm not saying people shouldn't. I just don't get why you'd buy it again if you find older JRPGs tedious today

I bought it again because the game is a lot of fun. Every game in existence contains parts that are tedious. These cheats simply allow me to make those parts less tedious in IX. I barely use them but when I want to use them I do and it has resulted in a more enjoyable experience.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
the cheats are stupid for many reasons and im of the opinion that if you dont want to play the game as designed and want to trivialize the gameplay and difficulty, you might as well watch a lets play.

re: excalibur 2.

the personal satisfaction of getting it is due to accomplishing the terms imposed on it. If you are going to speed up the gameplay (which doesn't affect the clock afaik), in order to get it, you havent achieved anything so whats the point?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

TommyGun85 posted:

the cheats are stupid for many reasons and im of the opinion that if you dont want to play the game as designed and want to trivialize the gameplay and difficulty, you might as well watch a lets play.

re: excalibur 2.

the personal satisfaction of getting it is due to accomplishing the terms imposed on it. If you are going to speed up the gameplay (which doesn't affect the clock afaik), in order to get it, you havent achieved anything so whats the point?

Personal satisfaction and the reasons it is felt is going to differ from person to person. It is not some sort of universal constant. It doesn't matter how or why someone plays as long as they enjoy the experience.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Every single JRPG with random battles has stuff you would want to use a fast-forward button and no encounters for, especially old ones. You'll end up backtracking through an area with piss easy random encounters or something and nobody liked that.

Or maybe you're one of those people who likes to do minimum level runs.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
hey

the 9999 damage cheat makes it so stealing has a 100% chance of stealing items

hope this helps

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm glad someone is out there to spearhead the "They don't play like me, therefore they are playing it wrong" crusade in 2016

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
No one cares how you think other people should play video games

Also the only cheats I want (other than fast forward) are remove Excalibur II timer and auto jump rope and they didn't bother to make them. :mad:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

This is unironically a good post and response in this thread.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

TommyGun85 posted:

I've been reading the last few pages of this thread because I wanted to know what changes have been made to FF9 (and there's been a decent bit of discussion about that). I want to get it and play through it again, but I don't want to deal with random battles, and just experience the story, which I never finished on the PS1 (got to somewhere in Disc 2). I could watch a Let's Play, but the ones on youtube are unedited and so have hours of random battles that are boring, and also have commentary that might not be worth listening to. Or I could read a screenshot LP from a while back, which would work, but lacks the full motion aspect of playing the game myself, not to mention the music.

It's a single player game, and outside of the cheats apparently triggering some of the achievements, there's nothing that would affect you if someone cheated their way through the game.

Anyway, is it possible to turn off random encounters entirely and still make the boss battles have some challenge, but still be decently winnable (aka, not level 99 for everyone)?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
No encounters/master all abilities sounds like it could be fun. You'd still be low-level but you'd have a variety of abilities to help you out as needed. Depends on if you'd go true no encounters or enable them to grind items/Thievery/gil.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

General Morden posted:

hey

hope this helps
We finally found a way to help people get over Hilgigars :allears:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

We finally found a way to help people get over Hilgigars :allears:

the best way is to not care about that drat flute in the first place, but then I never use Eiko, save for steamrolling the Desert Palace with Holy

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why on earth would you do that when you can already steamroll it with L5 Death?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm playing FFVI and I got a couple questions related to the Job Class talk from a few pages ago.

1. So everyone has about the same basic stats? Because Locke is clearly a Thief but he's kinda like Zidane in that he hits really hard so he's more of a Thief/Warrior.
2. Is Celes a Paladin? Kind of reminds me of Cecil, to be honest.

Also, these were completely made-up and all but when we were assigning Jobs to FFXIII Characters, I didn't know Sage was a thing. Now I do, I'm pretty sure Hope is one. He really doesn't fit either Black or White Mage because he's amazing in both.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
FFVI doesn't use the job system like the other games. Celes is a magic user that happens to be able to use heavy weapons/armor and can absorb other spells. It's really more akin to each character having a unique ability that's special to them. Locke can steal, Edgar has tools, Sabin has blitzes, etc. Some of them are like traditional FF jobs while others are their own special thing.

As far as stats go everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, like how Locke is usually the first person to act in a battle, but in the future you're going to receive something that lets you control how a person's stats level up.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm playing FFVI and I got a couple questions related to the Job Class talk from a few pages ago.

1. So everyone has about the same basic stats? Because Locke is clearly a Thief but he's kinda like Zidane in that he hits really hard so he's more of a Thief/Warrior.

Also, these were completely made-up and all but when we were assigning Jobs to FFXIII Characters, I didn't know Sage was a thing. Now I do, I'm pretty sure Hope is one. He really doesn't fit either Black or White Mage because he's amazing in both.
Everyone has their own variety of stats. A couple of them are obvious stinkers. The newer releases did give them flavor job classes. I think Celes was some sort of Rune Knight and the Berserker is obvious.

General Morden posted:

hey

hope this helps
That saves around five hours of boss bullshit.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 18, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Honestly I haven't seen Sage in anything besides FF3, usually because future games with job systems let you use other jobs' abilities anyway, so having a Black Mage with White Magic or vice versa is pretty much a Sage already.

As for job classes, it's kind of a crap-shoot. Some are obvious, like Locke and Sabin, even if the stats/roles end up being off a bit (as you mentioned, Locke has some beefy offense for a Thief), while others are blurred like Terra and Celes, or even a combination of jobs (Mog is a GeoDancer, Gau is a combination of a Berserker, Beastmaster, and Blue Mage without being anywhere close to any of them, especially since those three roles are already covered by other characters). Overall closer to matching the traditional job system than FF13 (it's clear some FF6 characters are pretty much extensions of the jobs from FF5), but still not quite there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Mog is the coolest dude

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA5YF7GJIiQ

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Ya characters in 6 have different base stats but they barely matter compared to magic, equipment stats, abilities, and eventually the ability to grow a character's stats however you want

I think there's only like a 15 point difference in (for ex) the highest and lowest Magic stat any character has, but you can get any character to 128 in any one stat

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

Honestly I haven't seen Sage in anything besides FF3, usually because future games with job systems let you use other jobs' abilities anyway, so having a Black Mage with White Magic or vice versa is pretty much a Sage already.

Pretty sure Tellah was always referred to as a sage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sage is also in FF:4 Heroes of Light

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

See, I played FFIV but I didn't know Sage was a class. I just thought they were calling him...ya know, a sage. Great Sage Tellah just sounds like a title, ya know?

Oh well. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

The best part about this commercial is that these are all actual monsters in the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh, duh.

ImpAtom posted:

Sage is also in FF:4 Heroes of Light

Tried playing that years ago but got stuck on a boss early on and couldn't figure out a strategy to get past it. Seemed alright enough, nothing spectacular but playable enough (other than the whole getting stuck thing of course).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Final Fantasy Explorers also had a Sage job. It specialized in using the high level magic of all the other magic users, but low and mid level spells were costlier to equip.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Oh, duh.

Tried playing that years ago but got stuck on a boss early on and couldn't figure out a strategy to get past it. Seemed alright enough, nothing spectacular but playable enough (other than the whole getting stuck thing of course).

4HoL is basically Bravely Default 0 and has a lot in common with it include time loop plots (and a character for 4HoL is the optional superboss in BD.)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I still need to finish BD some day. Gameplay is fun but drat do I hate how long cutscenes take without anything interesting happening. The pacing of the cutscenes is terrible.

Maybe I'll just skip the story completely, especially from what I hear happens later on.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
you know, replaying ff9, Zidane feels a little less "dashing rogue" and a little more "sexual predator".

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Why on earth would you do that when you can already steamroll it with L5 Death?

I'll be honest I never use Quina either, beyond Gizmaluke's Grotto to Cleyra and then Fossil Roo, and I find the eat mechanic grating, so I don't generally pick up any skills for him/her except by chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cocksmith posted:

you know, replaying ff9, Zidane feels a little less "dashing rogue" and a little more "sexual predator".
How was that not the first thing to come to mind?