Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

Phew, just randomly noticed High-Functioning Flesh is playing Toronto on Sunday. Almost missed that.

I missed them on Tuesday, just wasn't able to make it.

The Youth Code tour that was just announced, though, I will not miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ohrwurm posted:

The Youth Code tour that was just announced, though, I will not miss.
:getin:

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

What are y'alls styles today?

I'm power electronics

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

holy shitttttt it's out
this album is amazing
youth code forever

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ohrwurm posted:

What are y'alls styles today?

I'm power electronics

I'm all about Derniere Volonte right now so I'm going with martial industrial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=511QySDQjOg

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 8, 2016

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOwje7jP4wU

Cross-posted from the Dutch thread. A Dutch TV show from 1989 examining the club culture around acid house, new beat and EBM, including a live demonstration (at 7:50 in the video). It's a pity there are no subtitles, it is quite interesting. They're talking about how it was a new trend sweeping the nation and is already on its return. The DJs speculate that acid house is dying out, but new beat and EBM will have more longetivity. The presenter is focusing on it being mindless and thoughtless and without rules, and questions them about ecstasy usage.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Entropist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOwje7jP4wU

Cross-posted from the Dutch thread. A Dutch TV show from 1989 examining the club culture around acid house, new beat and EBM, including a live demonstration (at 7:50 in the video). It's a pity there are no subtitles, it is quite interesting. They're talking about how it was a new trend sweeping the nation and is already on its return. The DJs speculate that acid house is dying out, but new beat and EBM will have more longetivity. The presenter is focusing on it being mindless and thoughtless and without rules, and questions them about ecstasy usage.

If you like this sort of thing and haven't watched The Sound of Belgium you should get all up on that.

I love cheesy new beat stuff.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you like this sort of thing and haven't watched The Sound of Belgium you should get all up on that.

I love cheesy new beat stuff.

Oh cool, thanks! I never caught that, even though there was apparently a screening two blocks away from here last year...

e: Also, some German TV show parodied Rammstein and accidentally created a Laibachian thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMQkV5cTuoY

Entropist fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 8, 2016

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

Holy poo poo, Tyler Newman (Battery Cage, Informatik) put out a new album under a new name last month and I didn't notice!

https://solidgreyskyrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/invisible-weapons

Enjoying it so far. Coincidentally he cites Jesu as an influence on it ... just heard Jesu for the first time ever ten minutes prior on Spotify Discover.

edit: was a slow build for me ... started out decent, but by the end it was fantastic. Really fluid mix of cool styles.
Out of curiosity, did anyone bother checking this out? I'm still obsessed. I'd highly recommend it even if you don't like Battery Cage ... it's not Battery Cage style.

ID:YD review: http://www.idieyoudie.com/2016/02/negative_crush-invisible_weapons/

quote:

negative_crush
invisible_weapons
Grey Sky Recordings

Tyler Newman’s certainly kept his hand in the game. While his best known projects, Battery Cage and Informatik, have maintained low profiles over the past half decade or so, with just the odd album and track surfacing, he’s been dropping snappy movie soundtracks, doing ‘futures past’ type electronics, both unearthing and penning new music in his A.E.C. side-project, and plenty more via his Solid Grey Sky Recordings label. But the debut record from his new solo project, negative_crush, feels like an entirely new achievement for Newman, wholly separate from both his established projects and his more recent ones.

The album art, a grim memorial horizon at an aircrash site, gives honest warning of what’s to come. Weary and resigned throughout, invisible_weapons‘ mood is well suited for the post-metal instrumentation and emphasis on slow tempos and dynamic shifts which run through its lengthy course. Bridging at times into industrial rock in the broadest sense, invisible_weapons makes good use of drum programming and keyboards when they’re called for, but it’s the guitars which generally stay in the spotlight. Fuzzy guitars, chugging guitars, guitars that evaporate, guitars which thud to the ground and then drag themselves underneath the bed to await brighter days. Jesu is cited as an influence in the PR copy, and for once I agree; Newman’s learned well from the deep resonances and aching compositions which seem to reverberate in the chest pioneered by Justin Broadrick.

But to say that it’s entirely beholden to guitar and impenetrable walls of noise would be to overwrite the swirling piano and percussion of the close of “Too Many Of Us Are Dying”, and to ignore the excellent vocal work Newman delivers throughout the record. At times harmonizing with established guitars, and at times fully taking the melodic reins, Newman’s rarely let so much of an album rest on his vocal performance, and certainly never for such a sustained period. “Your Secret Is Safe With Me” (along with a couple of other tunes) crashes back in for a reworked reprise after what seems like a natural conclusion, and with just a couple of minor intonations amplifies its recitation of stifled (but not entirely snuffed out) hope to fantastic heights.

The songwriting here is, bluntly, excellent. That’s something which could easily be lost in the course of a record this lengthy with cuts that regularly push past the six minute mark and cleave so close to a particular mood. invisible_weapons is a bleak and dark listen, make no mistake. It takes depression, repetition, and self-destructive thinking as its themes. But rather than stabbing at the listener with violent, screaming directness, Newman’s found a new voice, a new angle on his music in waves of reflection and resignation. An ache in the neck or legs which can’t be stretched out or rubbed away, that’s far more invisible_weapons‘ speed than the bloody stabbings of A.E.C. An exciting and affecting new direction for a long-standing industrial musician, invisible_weapons might have less in common with any of his earlier work than anything Newman’s tried his hand at, but that only makes its success more impressive. Recommended.

Buy it.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

ohrwurm posted:

holy shitttttt it's out
this album is amazing
youth code forever

Holy poo poo yes, new Youth Code owns.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

High-Functioning Flesh was solid, but god drat that was a late concert for a Sunday night ... took at the stage at around 1:00.

The openers were pleasant surprises ... Body of Light solid danceable Pet Shop Boys-ish synthpop. Avant Kool wasn't really my thing, but entertaining.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I'm a couple days behind due to international shipping or whatever but drat the new youth code is good!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Apparently it's a big loving deal that Eskil shaved his head.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

Apparently it's a big loving deal that Eskil shaved his head.

Well, he does look really weird

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Well, he does look really weird
That hasn't changed

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Did he shave his head cos he was going bald or has he joined Funker Vogt?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

That hasn't changed

why did I actually spend time on these :negative:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah this new Youth Code album is p. great.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

why did I actually spend time on these :negative:

I am glad you did if it helps.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

teethgrinder posted:

The openers were pleasant surprises ... Body of Light solid danceable Pet Shop Boys-ish synthpop.
Yeah! I bought their t-shirt.

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

High-Functioning Flesh was solid, but god drat that was a late concert for a Sunday night ... took at the stage at around 1:00.

The openers were pleasant surprises ... Body of Light solid danceable Pet Shop Boys-ish synthpop. Avant Kool wasn't really my thing, but entertaining.

Yeah in Providence they hit the stage around midnight. Great show though, grabbed the Body of Light LP but haven't listened to it yet. Odd release for the Chondritic Sound label though.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Bunch of new Youth Code tour dates announced, including playing maybe my least-favorite dive here in Baltimore, but poo poo, for twelve bucks I'd be crazy not to go.

EDIT: I am going to try real hard to remember my ear plugs this time.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Aw no Toronto gigs, but I did get to see them open for Fat Dog once. (Why does this stupid attempt at humour even exist?)

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
I'm going to the Youth Code show in Baltimore too, wanna meet up?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Project Pitchfork's choice of support for their 25-year anniversary tour is making me seriously reconsider my plan of travelling to Germany (again) to see said tour in the fall.

It's Reaper and loving Extize :negative: :negative: :negative:

Good thing I'll be catching Pitchfork at Amphi this summer at least.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

It's Reaper and loving Extize :negative: :negative: :negative:
lmao I had never heard of Exitze and looked them up. This is like the music in those cringey gothic dance videos.

Edit: Oh how unexpected. The Youth Code date here next Sunday is supporting Snog.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 18, 2016

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Blast from the past ... loving loving the new Lights of Euphoria album, Traumatized. It's not as loud/aggressive as some of their earlier tracks, but it has some really awesome grungy Depeche Mode-like moments and the production is great. I loved Krieg Gegen die Maschinen and Gegen Den Strom back in the day. Querschnitt was such a disappointment for me, I lost track of them.

Favourite old track in case anyone missed them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlp76ZYP4Gw

New Youth Code up next.

edit: oh lol the last track on the Lights of Euphoria is a Stripped cover haha. Badass.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 18, 2016

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Out of nowhere, Skold will be playing in Denver 5/10. Did he ever put out more than the 1 self titled album? It looks like he's doing a self tour, but I'm not sure.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

deong posted:

Out of nowhere, Skold will be playing in Denver 5/10. Did he ever put out more than the 1 self titled album? It looks like he's doing a self tour, but I'm not sure.

He put out one called Anomie a few years ago

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

quote:

R.I.P. Prince ✚ The Artist ✚ The Symbol
On February 14th in 1989 Laibach visited Paisley Park, after the tour concert in Minneapolis's First Avenue, suprisingly finding out that Prince kept in his main studio also two of the Laibach CD's (Opus Dei and Let It Be). In 1996 the band covered his song, The Cross, for the Jesus Christ Superstars album.
From Laibach's Facebook. And I can't be bothered to dig up my copy now but I think that when Jesus Christ Superstars was released and Prince was in his full "The Artist Formerly Known As Prince" phase Laibach refers to themselves in the liner notes as ✚

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hedenius posted:

From Laibach's Facebook. And I can't be bothered to dig up my copy now but I think that when Jesus Christ Superstars was released and Prince was in his full "The Artist Formerly Known As Prince" phase Laibach refers to themselves in the liner notes as ✚

It's Kapital you're thinking of, so a year before Prince changed his name to the symbol thing

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

It's Kapital you're thinking of, so a year before Prince changed his name to the symbol thing
No, I'm pretty sure it's something like: The Cross, written by Prince performed by ✚

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hedenius posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it's something like: The Cross, written by Prince performed by ✚

Oh yeah, you're right, didn't notice that. It's the only place in the booklet they do that, so definitely a cool detail!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
CAT rear end now!!! recommended Cardinal Noire to me. I've listened to the record a few times on Spotify and it's loving great!! Definitely a must for fans of the classic Skinny Puppy material, but it's also its own thing.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

UK / London goons should go to this

Diary of Dreams + Red Sun Revival this Saturday

Diary of Dreams live is Good.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
Surgical Meth Machine is the most perfectly rad thing ever conceived. It is Al as he is in this point in time and it's not Ministry, it's something though. He gets to yell at people in his voice and not the faux british tribute to his heroes and it comes off so perfectly bitter when not downright beyond-slayer or pantera levels of aggression. Al is grabbing a bottle of whiskey and wandering into the studio for half a year but with the rulebook out the window except for his own. SMM owns I want a t shirt. Nothing is heavier, nothing is more fuckit chillax. Nothing is more than the id the ego the superego with the fuel of a billion substances behind it to live life to the extreme as motherfucking grandaddy al. This is his magnum opus, not Ministry because it is where he arrived today standing on the shoulders of the giants he built himself

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
but I don't wanna go back to ministry now. Thanks Al

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Seeing youth code tonight :getin:

ohrwurm fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 2, 2016

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Stumbled across this on Reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2seP3dMHDKQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desmodus rotundus
Sep 15, 2013

HAY GUYS

Electro industrial is what I used to listen to exclusively when I was in my late teems and early 20s. I've had a long break and help me find some stuff worth getting so I'm not wasting cash. I'm also looking into doing a radio show at the University here that would be focused on these genres with a smattering of goth/death rock/horror pu k as well.

So. If you wanted to introduce the top 5 bands that have come with releases in the last 5 years or so, what would you reccomend? I figure start woth reccomendations before wading through piles of crap to find some gold.