Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Jared592 posted:

Have you been able to get stuff reliably from GearBest? The one thing I bought from them (a dashcam) took forever and required a forum of people giving them a ton of grief before they finally started shipping them.

Sometimes it's taken a while for things to ship, but I've never had something not deliver. They're usually pretty straightforward about how long it will be until something ships, too - I bought one of those balancing scooter "hoverboard" things from them and while it took 6 weeks to ship, the page said it would, so I wasn't fussed.

Almost none of these chinese tech sites like banggood and gearbest and the like are out to scam you, they're usually just really busy and bad at communicating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

literally a fish posted:

Almost none of these chinese tech sites like banggood and gearbest and the like are out to scam you, they're usually just really busy and bad at communicating.
Also, spring for the upgraded shipping. Even if it's just a $1 tracking number, the chances of things getting "lost" in the mail drops dramatically.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

literally a fish posted:

Sometimes it's taken a while for things to ship, but I've never had something not deliver. They're usually pretty straightforward about how long it will be until something ships, too - I bought one of those balancing scooter "hoverboard" things from them and while it took 6 weeks to ship, the page said it would, so I wasn't fussed.

Cause with china, Shipping is quite literal.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Tawd posted:

Bahco seems solid, but I don't like the adjustable spanners. They're a pain in the arse and don't seem to hold on to bolts correctly, which is pretty fundamental. Maybe I'm doing it wrong though?

I have the 12" adjustable, the one that you can flip the jaw and its a pipe wrench. Works great on pipe and fittings.

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010

MRC48B posted:

I have the 12" adjustable, the one that you can flip the jaw and its a pipe wrench. Works great on pipe and fittings.

I'll have to clean ours down, re-lube the mechanisms and give them another try. The pipe grip bit is handy.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

OSU_Matthew posted:

:(:hf::(

And my girlfriend makes fun of me for having so many different sockets and junk

"You've got six of the same socket!" :psyduck:

"Well, that's a 3/8, that's 1/2" in case I need to use my torque wrench, that's a deep well, and that's an impact, and on and on"

It's incredible the variety of tools you need for even such a simple job like spark plugs, or recently for me, changing headlights with hard to access bolts. Pro suggestion, best thing I've ever used with spark plugs was a locking extension--no more trying to fish out the socket and plug recessed deep in the back of the engine

I've had that exact same conversation and had to invite a male friend around, solely so he could be vocally impressed that my new kit had 3 ratchets in it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I make a point of having at least two of most of my spanners and ratchets, plus a lot of crossover between my 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" sockets.

It's all too rare for a manufacturer to use a differing wrenching size on the bolt and corresponding nut so you only need one of each tool.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

I've had that exact same conversation and had to invite a male friend around, solely so he could be vocally impressed that my new kit had 3 ratchets in it.

Only three? I think my current collection is up to:

1/2" drive:
Two torque wrenches
Extendable handle
Breaker bar
Standard

3/8" drive:
Toothless
Twist-handle drive
Extended handle flex head
Extendable handle
Standard
Torque wrench
Breaker bar
M12 electric

1/4" drive:
Standard, at least two or three
Toothless thumbwheel
Torque wrench
Nut drivers, two of them

And yet there are still times I am scrambling to find one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

I was going to do this with my new box but ran out of drawers

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

My gf's garage is way bigger than mine so I established dominance by building a workbench :getin:

After many years of hunching over kitchen counters/tables/desks/workbenches not designed for 6'3" people, it sure is nice to have something taller. The work surface is 3' 6" height and my forearms hit it perfectly at a 90° angle. Lighting is one of those Costco LED shoplights.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
its like the way more expensive and vastly more complicated way of "leaving a toothbrush"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm glad my GF has a bike collection to rival my jeep collection* and loves tools.

* in condition, volume, and completeness. I got her a $60 parts bike for its wheels and it accidentally was too nice/complete a bike to gut for its wheels and became another project instead :v: I've had that happen with cars before.

In tool related news I bought a tire mounting/dismounting machine today. Can't wait to maim myself horribly with it.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

its like the way more expensive and vastly more complicated way of "leaving a toothbrush"

Hahah, well, we're over two years past the toothbrush stage - now I need to see if she's okay with me draining gear oil when I install a locker in the Jeep this weekend. Not Pictured: a lot of cardboard.

Kastein be sure to post tire mounting shenanigans updates - I have enough vehicles now where it might be smart to buy one of those.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 16, 2016

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I want one bad, but a machine that won't marr the poo poo out of aluminum is big $$.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I want a welder. Looking for something that I can use for stuff like tacking things onto broken bolts to extract them, and also want to build my own rear bumper/spare carrier for my landcruiser. And whatever else may come up in future. I have very little welding knowledge, been looking at basic (:cheap) used Arc welders. Will one of them do what I want?

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
What's your budget?

I have a huge boat anchor arc welder which works fine for heavier steel, but is useless for thin work. If I were buying an arc I'd get an ancient heavy namebrand transformer one off gumtree, or a new inverter one from TradeTools. Cheap bunnings arc welders are garbage.

I've just bought a 200A Mig and I'm in love with it. Once the machine is setup it's stupidly easy to use. The only real downside is gas rental is a pain.

this thread is useful

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 16, 2016

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
My budget is pretty low, I'm definitely looking for something decent old & used rather than poo poo/cheap & new. In NZ so prices probably don't compare here.

Looking at stuff like this and hoping to spend around a hundred bucks or less

https://trademe.co.nz/1069247796

I could spend more but I don't really want to unless it gets me a lot more performance. Don't want to get into a MIG yet

Hmm maybe this ?

https://trademe.co.nz/1069884999

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 16, 2016

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Sorry, forgot you were on the East Island.

The first one isn't even adjustable - forget it unless you're trying to save every cent. I'd get something that looks like a boat anchor like this - maybe get him to take a few more photos?

lovely cheap arc welders don't just have crap duty cycles, in my experience they're much harder to strike an arc with and seem to run out of puff as they heat up. Preventing the rod from sticking is the most frustrating part of learning how to arc weld.

I'd also consider an auto-darkening helmet a must-have.

LibertyCat fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 16, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Hahah, well, we're over two years past the toothbrush stage - now I need to see if she's okay with me draining gear oil when I install a locker in the Jeep this weekend. Not Pictured: a lot of cardboard.

Kastein be sure to post tire mounting shenanigans updates - I have enough vehicles now where it might be smart to buy one of those.

Will do. It is a 50 dollar air powered prehistoric one, I might clean it up, get it working perfectly instead of just alright, pass it on to SiF, and pick up an FMC dual power mag 7600/7700 that I was offered for 300.

I actually have a big stack of junk rims with good tires on them and junk tires on good rims so I might spend this morning breaking them down and scrapping all the junk.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Only three? I think my current collection is up to:

And yet there are still times I am scrambling to find one.

Oh FFS: just trying to fix a dripping tap and find that my adjustable spanner doesn't open wide enough

So, now I need to spend 12 on a spanner to replace a 7 ceramic washer.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Half assed tire machine video as promised:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuOLUDYVbDM

Camera shut off halfway through removal demonstration, the bead seater isn't included (since I need to buy a coreless air chuck to make it work), and the middle of the video is useless. I will take a better one next time I get a chance.

It turns out to be a Coats 10-10 probably from the 60s or 70s based on condition. The manufacturer's aluminum badge was under a thick coat of paint, dirt, and grease.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
We had very similar one also coats at Sears. Called it the widowmaker, watched it chip a newbies tooth cause he didnt hold on to the handle. Fast as hell for mounting steelies tho.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

kastein posted:

Camera shut off halfway through removal demonstration, the bead seater isn't included (since I need to buy a coreless air chuck to make it work), and the middle of the video is useless. I will take a better one next time I get a chance.

It turns out to be a Coats 10-10 probably from the 60s or 70s based on condition. The manufacturer's aluminum badge was under a thick coat of paint, dirt, and grease.

Oh god we had one of these when I worked at the Bobcat dealership. It just barely had enough guts to handle skid steer tires, though most of the time you had to help it along with tire spoons. Thing loved to flip up the second you took tension off it. I don't know how nobody ever got injured using that thing.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I learned tire mounting on one of those things. That and an antique one that was just a tall pole that holds the tire while you do most of the work. Also you need to use way more lube and it will be a ton easier. Lube is your friend when mounting tires. I use axle&bearing grease a lot. It makes them slide on low profiles and makes standard tires just fall on.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

EKDS5k posted:

Oh god we had one of these when I worked at the Bobcat dealership. It just barely had enough guts to handle skid steer tires, though most of the time you had to help it along with tire spoons. Thing loved to flip up the second you took tension off it. I don't know how nobody ever got injured using that thing.

exactly what happend to dooder at my work. Gotta hold it till the end or you loose a tooth real quick.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Welder chat! Maybe gone over this before! Looking for some advice on how/where to begin, specifically a beginner's MIG/TIG welder. Should I splurge and get one that's gonna last for a long time? I don't plan on doing like more than a dozen hours of welding per month, and I'm no slouch at soldering, though I understand that the process is a bit different.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If ultimateforce still posts round these parts, you could ask him. He's the resident pro.

I just started learning how to weld. I found a guy who works at a machine shop who will rent his time out to teach people for a nominal fee. He has 35 years of experience and the tricks he has shown me are truly eye opening. I plan on taking a one year course recognized by the AWS in the fall. I'm just using this time to wet my ears a little. Try and find someone who might set up a deal like that. I have also heard apprenticeships are a good way to learn as well. I'm already learning stainless steel and I'm on hour 5!

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 18, 2016

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

scuz posted:

Welder chat! Maybe gone over this before! Looking for some advice on how/where to begin, specifically a beginner's MIG/TIG welder. Should I splurge and get one that's gonna last for a long time? I don't plan on doing like more than a dozen hours of welding per month, and I'm no slouch at soldering, though I understand that the process is a bit different.

Go read the last couple of pages in the Creative Convention - DIY & Hobbies Blacksmithing/Metalwork thread.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Is there a carb dip (that I can get in California) that doesn't suck? I've tried googling, and everyone I can find talking about it mentions the old stuff they've had kicking around for 30 years is the way to go. On the flip side, some recommend water-based stuff like Pine-Sol. This would be economical, but is it any better than the crappy carb dip gallon buckets you can get these days?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Is there a place online I can get a better deal on an echo weed whacker than going into home depot?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

SouthsideSaint posted:

I learned tire mounting on one of those things. That and an antique one that was just a tall pole that holds the tire while you do most of the work. Also you need to use way more lube and it will be a ton easier. Lube is your friend when mounting tires. I use axle&bearing grease a lot. It makes them slide on low profiles and makes standard tires just fall on.

Ehhh, it was fine, the thing needs a good cleaning and relubrication I think and it was only running on ~100-110psi air. I think it wants more like 150. I might need to use more lube, but not much more, they went on pretty easy really... I'd never use any oil base product (wd40, grease, motor oil, etc) on tires I cared about, it damages the rubber.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I remember using something like soapy water when I was in high school.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Water-based personal lubricant works pretty good, and makes your tires smell like strawberries or whatever!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

What do we like for nicer (i.e., not Harbor Freight, I already have those) torque wrenches?

I'm not averse to spending for a Snap-On, but I figured I'd ask before I dump that kind of money.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

wallaka posted:

Water-based personal lubricant works pretty good, and makes your tires smell like strawberries or whatever!

Finally, a use for that drum of lube I have sitting around.

http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Natural-Water-Based-Lubricant-Gallon/dp/B005MR3IVO

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Krakkles posted:

What do we like for nicer (i.e., not Harbor Freight, I already have those) torque wrenches?

I'm not averse to spending for a Snap-On, but I figured I'd ask before I dump that kind of money.

My dad got me a 3/8 Husky from Home Depot ~18mo ago and it's nice. Used it for a bunch of stuff and it's still like new. I assume their 1/2 is the same. I also have a craftsman inch-lb for biek stuff and it's fine but feels cheaper than the husky. Haven't used it too much.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I have this wrench and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NICGXS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_uG1fxbFQM837A

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I like the Husky and Kobalt ones just fine. Can't remember which of my torque wrenches is which. One of them has a setting lock collar, which is very nice, you can lock the torque setting and it will stay set till you unlock it and change it instead of maybe getting twisted by accident while you're wrenching.

e: oh yeah. I also just got an FMC 7600 mag dual power tire changer to replace the Coats 10-10. That one's getting sold, this one has more power. It's still not a touchless, sadly.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Ehhh, it was fine, the thing needs a good cleaning and relubrication I think and it was only running on ~100-110psi air. I think it wants more like 150. I might need to use more lube, but not much more, they went on pretty easy really... I'd never use any oil base product (wd40, grease, motor oil, etc) on tires I cared about, it damages the rubber.

I know it's damaging but good loving luck getting a low profile on otherwise. Or getting a tire to seat on a poorly refinished rim. Its bad but I've never found a better way to mount low profiles. Also ruglyde is cheap and comes in big bottles and makes tires easy enough to mount by hand. And the salts and the roads around here kill tires before wear does.

In tool news in just aquired a free drill press from my deceased grandpa. What are good bits for it? Are regular drill bits ok or is there specific bits for it?