Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

All that glitters is not gold.
MWO taught me the meaning of Minimum Viable Product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Anyone who doubted Derek's passion and dedication to his art should read that post about Louis or whatever

Dude has been doing this poo poo since the 90s I'm telling you he is a pro

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Marching Powder posted:

cool now we've got a thread title to commemorate the time a guy tried to do that thing noted forum poster wayne gretzky did only it was worse, less funny and less successful in every way

That's the dude's name, I was thinking the same thing. Goons should have some finesse when composing nut shots imo

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Lonkface posted:

MWO taught me the meaning of Minimum Viable Product.

You'd better get a cat in that post quick boy if you've learned nothing from your time here or the manual it should be that

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

:eonwe:

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

so i just read in the GBS thread that ben's life was apparently pretty horrible

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just noticed

Nice.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

orcinus posted:

:laffo:

Tagged "misleading".

Yeah it even got removed but then was back with the misleading. I suspect one of the mods is a a SC whale.

I should not poke the hornets nest...

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

a star citizen defender posted:

I don't see how this is really a problem, in fact it should have been expected. Shovel Knights an amazing game to pop out of Kickstarter didn't have all of it's incentives in the game on "commercial release."

:laffo:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Derek demoted me from Smartie to Goon on the discord and I have never before felt such grief. B'tak, expect a PM from me asking how you deal with it. Sandi, if B'tak doesn't read these forums, could you send him a message? tia

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Happy Sisyphus posted:

THINGS ARE LOOKIN UP NOW THOUGH!

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

life is so good he doesnt have to make hundreds of racist and creepy jokes on his website

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Happy Sisyphus posted:

It still is.

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

Happy Sisyphus posted:

life is so good he doesnt have to make hundreds of racist and creepy jokes on his website

Wait til it all collapses and he's unemployed again.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

Try posting in D&D for 10 years and devoting equal time reading every post regardless of who makes it.

ahhh but it was the something awful forums that caused my mental illness you see

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

Wouldn't want to remove racist and pedophilic humor that he's grown out of because that would be pretending to be somebody else; therefore those comments are good and okay and should stay in the public domain

e: oh and he's literally killing himself with food but he wouldn't change a single thing

moveable shape fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 19, 2016

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

orcinus posted:

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been.
You've been in the pipeline, filling in time,
provided with toys and scouting for boys.

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
What did you dream? It's alright we told you what to dream.

You bought a guitar to punish your ma'

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Star Citizen shills are destroying our way of life sniping pages and not even mentioning it

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Maybe he could ask croberts to hire that news lady for some extra mo-cap sessions?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lonkface posted:

looking forward to the livejournal posts cursing the zog machine for his troubles

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Lonkface posted:

what would he do if he got fired? is he educated? can he actually hold a job in the public sector anymore? something tells me he'd just go on disability like all morbidly obese people do.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
This cannot stand

Edit: for the first time in my life I wish I had a cat so I could fix this loving travesty

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Cool now I can be 7,000 posts behind each day.

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

looking forward to the livejournal posts cursing the zog machine for his troubles

That reminded me of the scene in American History X, the fat guy singing in the van.. and now I'm imagining Ben do it.

Edit: Also thanks for the profile pic, I'm dying.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

:holy::guitar:

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Lonkface posted:

That reminded me of the scene in American History X, the fat guy singing in the van.. and now I'm imagining Ben do it.

your new av is savin' your rear end this time because it's technically a cat picture I guess but it won't count twice

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lonkface posted:

Edit: Also thanks for the profile pic, I'm dying.

doo ba doo ba doo

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

does the forums technology exist to cross list this thread in both gbs and games?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Haskell9 posted:

Posting from the past ... I am indeed a shill, an unpaid one no less - for the Horizons MMO. It's going to be great, guys! ... :eng99:

Never heard of that game. As a shill your doing a bad job

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Goobs posted:

what would he do if he got fired? is he educated? can he actually hold a job in the public sector anymore? something tells me he'd just go on disability like all morbidly obese people do.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

:golfclap:

Cromulent reference, my good man.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

omg. dead.

"The fingers you are dialing with, are too fat. Please mash the numbers to order a special dialing wand"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

runsamok posted:

:golfclap:

Cromulent reference, my good man.

unable to find a gif. I feel like a failure.

gently caress it I am getting my DVDs and getting a whole batch of them. The internet needs this

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Nicholas posted:

Really? Cause all I've seen since November is tremendous progress. Over the last few months they've released the PU, a bunch more flyable ships, some hanger ready ships, and more patches then most triple AAA developers put together. Plus, their procedural generation stuff is almost done, they just need to integrate it. They have one of the most advanced flight models ever developed for a game and an AI simulation so complex it's never been attempted before. All in less than 1 year of "full" development time. Explain to me how start citizen is "ruined"

Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no P in the PU, and with the number of locations currently it can't even really be described as a U either.

Lonkface
Jan 22, 2016

Paramemetic posted:

your new av is savin' your rear end this time because it's technically a cat picture I guess but it won't count twice

I'll do better in future.. or will I?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Solarin posted:

unable to find a gif. I feel like a failure.

gently caress it I am getting my DVDs and getting a whole batch of them. The internet needs this

good quality simpsons gifs embiggen the smallest man

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
how do you do fellow commandos

I am definitely not trying to steer conversation in asking; who is this pgabz character? I remember someone in this thread mentioning his videos once, but I never looked into them too closely myself. Lets discuss this at length.

also, here is a negative statement about a CIG employee. Ben really has stepped in it with this latest gaffe, and his weight is truly ample. It makes me wonder if everything is going ok over at CIG.

but the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Anyway looking forward to hearing what you guys think about my post. I will post a "catte" soon, and perhaps display interest in a recipe?

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
Finally caught up with the thread, some disconnected thoughts:

I don't like the idea of company's owning the private lives of their employees. Ben shouldn't be fired for what he wrote / did off company time.

He should be fired for what he has done on company time.

Star Citizen has a disturbingly large pro-Mature themes segment of it's community. (Mature themes are a clear sign of an immature game community, but I digress) This mature themes segment has repeatedly argued for Rape / Slavery mechanics in the game. As a fantasy space MMO, Star Citizen has no need for Rape / Slavery mechanics, they add no historical verisimilitude or gameplay worth having to the game. Their inclusion is at best insensitive minimization of those societal ills. A normal game community manager would recognize these mechanics add nothing but trouble, so that person would kill the threads and move conversation onward. Ben, from his own words, seems to agree with the Mature Themes crowd about the inclusion of these mechanics. So he allows the discussions to persist, even though they drag overall community downward as more and more of the Mature Themes crowd appears.

This by itself is a problem, but it is supercharged when we have Ben's track record of ignoring abuse towards female members of the community. He allowed the Wuldge to continue posting, even after he sexually harassed other community members. He allowed the abuse and closure of the all-female group. He gave the founder of the pedophilia group a 7 day suspension. Ben treated the game community according to his own, questionable values, instead of something less arbitrary and more welcoming.

We see this with the original Stimpire Fan Fic and with the Star Citizen Photo Contest. Star Citizen has attracted a band of aggressively socially awkward people who use Star Citizen as their own Safe Space. All of this is Ben's fault and for it, he should be fired.

Though, after writing that, I realize that Ben did CIG good. What better group of fans than social outcasts who can buy their peer's respect by spending money on JPEGs?

Next, the German Tax Issue is going to be a big one. CIG doesn't have the clout or reputation to allow it to break German tax laws. If CIG hasn't paid German taxes in years, this will be a massive issue. Derek hinted at CIG engaging in tax evasion in the UK, with the money CIG had possessed and CIG's method of financing, I can see strong potential for multinational tax fraud. I do wonder if CIG views Ben-Ghazi as preferable to discussing Germany tax evasion...

Finally, the PC Invasion blog represents the penultimate state of the Game Media. For some time, I suspected that the game media downplayed CIG, so that CIG would get less money and the media wouldn't have to take a stance on it. Now PC Invasion and RPS are taking outright skeptical stances on CIG and CIG's deliverables. From here, the next step is writing articles about the slow and troubled development. This will be interesting to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4ff0dl/starcitizen_ceo_announces_not_all_stretch_goals

Yikes.

• Locked thread