Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am finding a running trend with any game that uses any variant of HP and attacking is doomed to be horribly aligned against scum. I don't think there is a way to implement health without breaking the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Jimson posted:

Apparently you can't take a joke though.

I'm sure when you make one I will evaluate it fairly.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

CCKeane posted:

I'm sure when you make one I will evaluate it fairly.

Holy poo poo.
Holy loving poo poo.
:drat:
Holy poo poo.
Oh my god.
I think this is the first time in my life, I have ever been burned so drat hard. Holy poo poo, I just got destroyed. No sarcasm like gently caress man. I need to step up my game.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Kashuno posted:

I am finding a running trend with any game that uses any variant of HP and attacking is doomed to be horribly aligned against scum. I don't think there is a way to implement health without breaking the game

Yeah I think you may be right.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

JakeP posted:

THREE CHEERS FOR TOWN!

HIP HIP HOORAY

Man I said it earlier, but once the Dropship got destroyed this game seriously became so loving easy for town to win.

I actively tried to avoid where people were likely going to be after that due to my role PM. If I died, town skipped a day.

You are Gin and Tonic

Progress Aligned Duo

You grew up in El Dorado and have lived there your whole lives. You two have been sweethearts since you can remember, and you are totally devoted to each other and to El Dorado itself. You have had a relatively easy life compared to most, but you can't help feeling a bit guilty about it. You two have agreed to find the Bunker so that nobody else has to suffer ever again.

You have the following abilities:

Science! - Gin (The Guy) is an expert at scientific studies, especially forensics and detective work. Any time there is a hidden flip, that night you may use your action to get the flip results in a PM from me. You may not copy paste this communication to the thread under penalty of death, but you may paraphrase or summarize it.

Beloved to El Dorado - Tonic is easily El Dorado's most loved citizen. She gets along with everyone and is a genuinely good person. If you ever die, the town will skip the next day to mourn you.

Stats:
A: 1
D: 4
S: 2
P: 3

You are Progress aligned and win when all threats to Progress have been eliminated OR your faction finds the bunker.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Also Gin and Tonic is the best duo name :3:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, CPig and I learned a lot from this game. I think for the next round, a good way to do it would be to have search be an automatic action wherever you are - the longer you stay in an area the more likely you are to find something, but the more you run the risk of the badguys tracking you down. I also think the tracker-type town characters were way too powerful, and should have been restricted by the same location-based limitations as all other abilities were.

Agreed on HP not really being an useful factor in this game. I think it would have worked fine if all the damaging abilities (Suicide's bombs, the boomstick, etc.) just functioned as vigs. There's enough defensive abilities in the game and enough players that a bit of chaos is acceptable.

Did people not find the bazaar items compelling? Only one person bought anything.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

Also Gin and Tonic is the best duo name :3:

Absolutely! Though I came up with a couple more pretty good names for the fakeclaim tab in the scumdoc.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh man, I was so excited to actually get to post today :negative:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

It's ok, you would have been turboed. :shobon:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Podima posted:

Did people not find the bazaar items compelling? Only one person bought anything.

Well it was like.. I kept finding gently caress all and had 0 credits to buy anything with.

Had the game gone for like.. 10 nights somehow it might have been interesting

HP was useless for anything other than confirming town because scum couldn't attack.
My personal attack rating was 1 so I saw no reason to go about punching people when my attacks would fail

I dunno.. the setup was great, but it became super easy to game the system once the Dropship died.

Rarity posted:

I had a txt doc properly formatted so we could hunt scum using the exact same method as yesterday

:negative:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
lol D1 Thunderdome rage tho

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Top kek

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

lol D1 Thunderdome rage tho

I was irritated at the Thunderdome, but I was also playing up my anger.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

Haha, you had Max track you to Jake and I watched everyone at the wastes, so I saw you visit him. You wouldn't have lived very long.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It was really hard to get a not-bullshit snippet out of the scumdoc on d1 because so much of it was laughing at the thunderdome that it would have confirmed town players to post.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Man I had Kumbamontu pegged for scum tho.

I could tell he had high stealth and high perception, and that just seemed like a weird arse combo to me.

Could scumteam see everyone in a location regardless of their perception?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

Man I had Kumbamontu pegged for scum tho.

I could tell he had high stealth and high perception, and that just seemed like a weird arse combo to me.

Could scumteam see everyone in a location regardless of their perception?

No - they were limited to who they could see via perception as well. Which, in retrospect, meant they could not NK Kumba without stats changing somehow.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TMMadman posted:

Haha, you had Max track you to Jake and I watched everyone at the wastes, so I saw you visit him. You wouldn't have lived very long.

Both D2 and D3 you guys hammered just as I was catching up with the thread and preparing to post :argh:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Podima posted:

No - they were limited to who they could see via perception as well. Which, in retrospect, meant they could not NK Kumba without stats changing somehow.

Yeah that's a dumb mechanic, which is why I was suss on Kumba due to being the ONLY person D1 who saw all 9 players at the Dam.

Scum should be able to see everyone, and still get a perception PM so they can fake claim properly.

Alternatively scumteam just gets to murder whoever the gently caress they want when people go back to sleep for the night so we can't game the system like we did D2-3 by location checking.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Like the game became so hilariously stacked against scum once the dropship got taken out, I legit felt bad for them.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

Like the game became so hilariously stacked against scum once the dropship got taken out, I legit felt bad for them.

Yeah, that's why I really felt like they had to have some sort of delayed ability to kill. But it turns out that was just MMT.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Infinitum posted:

Well it was like.. I kept finding gently caress all and had 0 credits to buy anything with.

Someone didn't read.

Everyone started with 1 barter.

In retrospect, I agree with most of the points.

I should have increased the chance of finding stuff because almost no one found anything, I think it would have made a big difference if people were finding things.

Also RE: Kumba, the idea was that you guys would find items that increased stats.

The biggest downfall was almost no one finding anything.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You are The New Primals

Progress Aligned Gang

You are a group of women who escaped Lord Rex's Harem. You travelled the wastes as a group and steadily became a bunch of hard rear end, no nonsense, rear end beating, all around ornery lasses. You heard about some bunker that supposedly has the key to saving humanity - and that Lord Rex was going after it. Lord Rex wants it, and thats enough for you to help out El Dorado - just to deny Rex.

Savage - You have the highest starting attack in the game, you also have a maximum of 6 attack instead of a max of 5. You aren't the quietest or most perceptive though.

Bushwhack - You are adept at setting up ambushes. When you make Attack actions at night your target counts as having one less defense.

Stats:
A: 5
D: 3
S: 1
P: 2

"You are Progress aligned and win when all threats to Progress have been eliminated OR your faction finds the bunker.
Additionally, if Lord Rex is ever killed you will abscond and win with whichever faction prevails."

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I was hoping someone would go downtown to verify me and then I could attack them and ride that sweet sweet cred to endgame :(

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Murmur Twin posted:

I was hoping someone would go downtown to verify me and then I could attack them and ride that sweet sweet cred to endgame :(

I was hoping scumteam could pick up weapons they could use so this tactic became useless.

Like seriously there were so many ways to verify town and break the system to towns advantage.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

imgay posted:

You are The New Primals

Progress Aligned Gang

You are a group of women who escaped Lord Rex's Harem. You travelled the wastes as a group and steadily became a bunch of hard rear end, no nonsense, rear end beating, all around ornery lasses. You heard about some bunker that supposedly has the key to saving humanity - and that Lord Rex was going after it. Lord Rex wants it, and thats enough for you to help out El Dorado - just to deny Rex.

Savage - You have the highest starting attack in the game, you also have a maximum of 6 attack instead of a max of 5. You aren't the quietest or most perceptive though.

Bushwhack - You are adept at setting up ambushes. When you make Attack actions at night your target counts as having one less defense.

Stats:
A: 5
D: 3
S: 1
P: 2

"You are Progress aligned and win when all threats to Progress have been eliminated OR your faction finds the bunker.
Additionally, if Lord Rex is ever killed you will abscond and win with whichever faction prevails."

haha you were the one that attacked me weren't you?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Jimson posted:

haha you were the one that attacked me weren't you?

nope that was Azuth

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Podima posted:

Nothing seemed good enough for me to waste an entire night when I could be searching for a bunker. I did see one thing - the "make your searches better" thing- but I figured my time was better spent elsewhere

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
drat scum got rekted, gg all, thanks pig this was fun, the long nights were tough though. Kinda sad I didn't get to vig nobody but I guess it doesn't matter since we won anyway.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Good news, I thought Keane was strange enough that he was worth a cop. Bad news, he was the godfather :negative: (I also would have got a scum result on rarity when the day opened but wouldn't have needed it due to the tracking)

When I saw this thread open and I had no PM I assumed I was dead for saying I took a personal action yesterday rather than saying I searched. Very glad to be wrong.

Thanks for the game CPig

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CapitalistPig posted:

Someone didn't read.

Everyone started with 1 barter.

In retrospect, I agree with most of the points.

I should have increased the chance of finding stuff because almost no one found anything, I think it would have made a big difference if people were finding things.

Also RE: Kumba, the idea was that you guys would find items that increased stats.

The biggest downfall was almost no one finding anything.

Everything cost more than 1 barter.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

Not true, the General Store had items that cost 1 Barter if I recall correctly.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I traded my booze for this metal detector and it didn't even matter!! GJ Leatherman

Thanks for the game I had fun :v:

Once I saw that metal detector and knowing the bunker was unfindable until D3 anyway, I spent N2 at the mall and bought the detector for subsequent nights. I was gonna use the detector in the wastes both N3/N4 to clinch victory but alas!

Also yeah the snippets from the scumdoc thing is super powerful. Even if there had been no other night actions I would have gone for Gulag guns blazing based on the use of the word dorks alone

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The issue was that if you wanted anything good from the mall, you had to hope someone else actually went to the mall to begin with, and that they somehow would think "Oh, I should give this person I don't know the alignment of my barter so they can get a potentially game-changing item." I don't think that system was ever going to work simply because I know I would never bother going there.

Then again, I had an ability that I think was pretty over powered / was getting lucky with my investigations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think the mall/barter mechanic was a cool idea, but as Pig said there wasn't enough barter entering the game to make it worthwhile in the three days we had. The barter pooling mechanic was meant to be more useful to the scumteam - that's 4 barter they have available on Day 1 if they cluster up, plus whatever they find on consecutive days. Such is life.

Also Max - I agree your power was a combination of overpowered (not having to pick someone at your location) and lucky (targeting very useful people thanks to point A).

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I mean, the scum team could have just been better, then I wouldn't have been pinged by Gulag. :smug:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still kind of amused that the scum team used GG for the N1 kill after Jake revealed that he was a tracker and that he thought GG was scum.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Next game should remove the dropship/scum-have-to-be-in-the-same-location-and-have-perception mechanics entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

TMMadman posted:

Yes that is true.
I was only commenting on him saying he started at 0.

That said I am eliminating a "shop" location and just making items more findable.

• Locked thread