Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Bound By Flame. I've never wanted a game to be over as much as I wanted this one to be. I didn't "romance," only had to talk to an NPC if it was required, anything that prolonged the game any further just caused further agony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Bound By Flame. I've never wanted a game to be over as much as I wanted this one to be. I didn't "romance," only had to talk to an NPC if it was required, anything that prolonged the game any further just caused further agony.
Did you know if you stop playing the game, it ends?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's what I keep telling people when Spec Ops the Line comes up in this thread. :v:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If a game is bad and you don't like it, you should stop playing that game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sunk-Cost Fallacy. I'm guessing the game is a reskin of Mars: War Logs and is just another Eurotrash title from Cyanide.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

That's not it, she only patrolled up and down the stairs, and I went into the sewer area at the end of the path and then up the stairs and she was nowhere. I don't know where she went.

The Evangelist does, in fact, patrol a really long way in that area; I've seen her down near the bridge with the guys with pots.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Sunk-Cost Fallacy. I'm guessing the game is a reskin of Mars: War Logs and is just another Eurotrash title from Cyanide.

I still think that if that game had a budget higher than the amount I paid for it in a Steam sale it would've been really good. It was basically Bargain Bin Bioware, but it had some cool ideas that would've been better served in a good game.

I liked the weapon customization, basically the same thing Fallout 4 would go on to do with its melee weapons ('upgrade your tire iron by slapping a rusty blade on it') but with gameplay influences beyond 'more damage'.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I actually kind of likes Bound By Flame, the story was probably the most nonsensical thing i've ever played though.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Phlegmish posted:

If a game is bad and you don't like it, you should stop playing that game.

This seems self evident but back when you had to physically go rent/buy a game and convince your parents for the ride and the money if yu got stuck with a bad game you kept on because it was the only game you were gonna get.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah but that dude is a twenty/thirtysomething nerd with disposable income just like the rest of us

I had that attitude towards books up until a few years ago. I insisted on finishing books even when I wasn't enjoying them. Then I learned to just put bad books down and it's much better that way. Life's too short to waste your free time on doing things you don't enjoy just to make a point.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I know it does, but when I pay money for something I want to get my mileage out of it. I bought it on Steam on sale about a year before playing it, I know the refund system is a lot easier these days but I think at this point I might be stretching things. I paid for it so I decided to be stubborn and finish it.

Saying that, I bought it in a bundle and I haven't even touched the other three games yet. Bollocks...

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I know it does, but when I pay money for something I want to get my mileage out of it.

This may as well be the Simple English Wikipedia definition for sunk cost fallacy.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What about games where the worst parts are front-loaded? Alpha Protocol goes from sub-par shlock to Steven-Heck-Awesome as soon as you finish Saudi Arabia and can do the rest of the game in any order, Baldur's Gate II forces you through the Chateau Irenicus, Phantom Pain makes you look at another man's bare arse for an hour, and Skyrim has that unskippable cut-scene made to impress Games Journalists that's a total bore to sit through if you want to reroll your character.

Modern games like Westerado and Stardew Valley have the common decency to let you skip the prologue level.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I know it does, but when I pay money for something I want to get my mileage out of it. I bought it on Steam on sale about a year before playing it, I know the refund system is a lot easier these days but I think at this point I might be stretching things. I paid for it so I decided to be stubborn and finish it.

Saying that, I bought it in a bundle and I haven't even touched the other three games yet. Bollocks...

"Gosh, I hate this and wish it was over. Well I paid good money to hate it so better keep on truckin' I guess!" - an idiot, aka you

You have a limited time on this earth and you are pissing it away.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

In Danganronpa the game provides some amazing comedic multi-choice options during class trials but in the earlier cases the heart penalty feels way to punishing for me to feel comfortable in picking all of them.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

In Danganronpa the game provides some amazing comedic multi-choice options during class trials but in the earlier cases the heart penalty feels way to punishing for me to feel comfortable in picking all of them.

You can just save mid-trial and reload a la Phoenix Wright.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Ryoshi posted:

"Gosh, I hate this and wish it was over. Well I paid good money to hate it so better keep on truckin' I guess!" - an idiot, aka you

You have a limited time on this earth and you are pissing it away.

My Steam accounts lists 13 hours from start to end, I've pissed away more away in other ventures. This game seemed to have potential within me at first to deliver but it didn't to me personally and by the time I realised that I was over halfway through and decided to see it through to the end. There's been plenty of games that I've played which didn't seem much at first, but after some hard work is done it's paid off and they became a joy to play and experience. I may have been ambitious in my statement of paying for games and sticking through it, but after posting I scrolled through my games list and realised I was over-stating that. I could list the Family Guy game but I knew it was poo poo when I bought it. I just didn't expect so much of a fallout from the original post.

It was a game of promise that failed and delivered less than I anticipated, I played through it as it offered more than it actually gave me. It was by my own stupidity for thinking it could redeem itself and never did. Even though it never delivered I completed it thinking it might offer some reward in it's storytelling, game play and characterisation. I was wrong for doing so, I knew this before I posted about it, thank you everyone for drilling it home even more about a lovely experience with a game in a thread about lovely experiences with games.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Digirat posted:

I love the genre but it's a very mixed bag. FTL is garbage, isaac is garbage, and enter the gungeon is pretty tragic with a lot of potential.

Unfortunately gungeon is also very difficult, which is not a problem by itself, but it means that anytime points are raised about the game's crippling tedium and RNG problems, the people who disagree won't say anything beyond "looks like the game's too hard for you! Have you tried getting good?"

There are many good roguelites however, for example nuclear throne, spelunky and tower of guns.

I think enter the Gungeon's difficulty is a problem. It's way the hell harder than, say, Isaac or Spelunky. It would benefit a lot from an easier difficulty setting. I can't think of any other roguelike-likes that are that hard as their only difficulty setting.

MisterBibs posted:

It doesn't completely drag down the genre (cuz I'll stlll play them, the campaigns at least), but I can't figure out how the hell some people play RTSes at higher game speeds. Like, I'm playing Starcraft 2 right now, usually keep it on Slowest or Slow speed, and that works. If I pump it up any higher to wait for some stuff to be built/produced, it blows my mind that people can process poo poo that quickly.

If it makes you feel any better most gamers seem to agree with you which is probably why RTS has become a niche genre. I wish there were more RTSs like Dawn of War 2. If they had added the ability to pause and issue commands the single player would have been pretty much perfect.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 23:52 on Apr 17, 2016

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I bought Gungeon, was not impressed and then bought Nuclear Throne from people's recommendations and its ridiculous how much more enjoyable I find it. Gungeon has a lot of great of ideas and a fantastic aesthetic, but it feels like a slog to play. For a hyperactive shoot 'em up movement speed is too slow, enemy (and especially boss) health is too high, you're forced into using the lovely starting gun for too long (and regularly have to fall back onto it since the game is bafflingly stingy on ammo), the maps are too big and even the bosses startups and the time between death to restart are too long, especially when such things are compared against Nuclear Throne.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kay Kessler posted:

You can just save mid-trial and reload a la Phoenix Wright.

Can you? Is there a way to navigate out of the truth bullet section?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Nostradingus posted:

Similarly, I don't like games that tell you your total playtime. Nothing makes me feel like a useless shitbag more than seeing that I've spent 60 hours of my life playing a video game!

KingSlime posted:

I like time counters because it lets me see how much I've gotten out of my purchase, or how much "work" I've put into a game. It's oddly satisfying to see the numbers go up, especially in those instances where I manage to break into the three digits. A pet peeve of mine is when the game doesn't count the time correctly and does dumb things like tick the clock when the game is paused, minimized, etc. I want an accurate reading, drat it!

I actually started logging my game-playing time with a stopwatch in 2012 because I was curious and annoyed with timers that either count your paused time as play time or discount parts where you die.

40-50 hours a month isn't so bad, 212 hours of Kerbal Space Program, though :jeb:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

The Moon Monster posted:

If it makes you feel any better most gamers seem to agree with you which is probably why RTS has become a niche genre. I wish there were more RTSs like Dawn of War 2. If they had added the ability to pause and issue commands the single player would have been pretty much perfect.

The thing with RTS is there's really much less need for new games because games in the genre really don't age quickly. It's not like everything else where older games will give you eye cancer and newer games will always look better. I mean if I feel like playing a good RTS I can still play the original Supreme Commander and it still looks and plays well when the sequel was pretty poo poo and newer games like for example Ashes of Singularity cut out about half the functions and on top of that runs like rear end for no good reason.

It doesn't help that when people try to innovate they poo poo the bed like the at this point pretty old but still latest Command and Conquer or the newest Anno, which while not poo poo was a big step down from the one before that. But really who cares, I'm gonna play some more original Ground Control.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I have over a thousand hours in Crusader Kings 2. Granted, a lot of that time was spent reading a book or looking at my phone while waiting for something to happen, but I am not proud.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Okage: Shadow King, recently released on the PS4 as the part of the PS2 games' conversion, has a problem I find irritating in games that has ostensibly not-random encounters (i.e. enemies are visible on the field), in that they are not really evadable - enemies are fast, they appear from thin air, the camera is clinging to the characters, not allowing one to see much and there are a lot of cramped spaces in dungeons. So in theory, you can avoid an encounter, but in practice it is often better to just run into an enemy and escape from the battle, wasting time. And, because the encounters are not random, you don't have any items to turn the random encounters off!

Another problem is that those not-random encounters are also present in a maze, so the camera clings to you, the map is garbage and every ten seconds you have a twenty second interruption of encounter->retreat cycle and I'm too dumb not to lose focus because of that.

Another game I've been playing a lot recently is Rebel Galaxy: it's a relatively simply game (meaning not complicated, not necessarily easy), but it has a lot of half-baked ideas which belie its lack of depth. For example, you can hail enemy's command ships and tell them to stand down, so that you avoid a fight. But unless you fly in a Dreadnought type ship with maxed out equipment it's very rare that anyone will stand down even if you can destroy an entire fleet by yourself, which you can in such a ship. I've no idea how the game calculates chances . Same with space trade: it's far better to just buy low and sell high without trying to learn the system, because the prices fluctuate, so you might as well just buy whatever most discounted and hope the next station will have a higher price for that. There are "events" in the game, that change local prices somewhat, but their repercussions are somewhat inane - a station might be in a "WAR" status, and a Treaty ship is dispatched - you can destroy it and make the war go for a longer period of time, or let it go all the way and the WAR ends. Hm.

And one last thing regarding events: they are tied to Trophies. Now, that wouldn't be such a problem if the rate of their spawn would be somewhat same, but it's not - the Event that needs the most instances of completion to earn a Trophy, mainly Pirate Lords hunts, is the rarest and needs to be completed 20 times, whereas breaking a blockade needs only ten and is more frequent. So you end up flying through the galaxy, hoping for a Pirate Lord to spawn, go to him and see the counter slowly rise. Worst of all, at the point of being able to effectively hunt them they're hardly a threat, so it's busywork. I know, I don't need to get Trophies, but I want to.

And a story complaint: throughout the game, you are being teased with your on-board AI being able to open jump-gates everywhere, which has an obvious plot and gameplay significance. And yet, the game ends up with the AI being stranded in space, so no free jumpgates for you, fucker!. Also, Trell (the AI) needs to breath while talking (I know the actress probably does, too, but use a voice software or something, it sounds really bad and fake - as much as an AI talking can seem fake). And your responses are one line with no options, so they might as well not be there.

I like this game, but with a few changes it could have been great. Oh well, it's still OK.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Crow Jane posted:

I have over a thousand hours in Crusader Kings 2. Granted, a lot of that time was spent reading a book or looking at my phone while waiting for something to happen, but I am not proud.

does the tutorial mission help at all or is it just worth it to go in blind and see what happens? I've had this on my hd for a while but I feel like I'm trying to unfold a road map in my car while someone's giving me directions when I play the tutorial.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Action Tortoise posted:

does the tutorial mission help at all or is it just worth it to go in blind and see what happens? I've had this on my hd for a while but I feel like I'm trying to unfold a road map in my car while someone's giving me directions when I play the tutorial.

I tried just playing it blind and couldn't figure out what the gently caress so you probably want to play that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Action Tortoise posted:

There are a lot of moving parts to that game so it's definitely worth it.

The one thing they don't spell out for you is that, when starting out, things take time and you shouldn't feel like you lost the game if things don't go your way and you loose your hold on a title/piece of land. You are meant to have ups and downs in that game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
In fact the game is exceedingly boring if you steam roll it so learn to roll with bad luck.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Szurumbur posted:

Okage: Shadow King, recently released on the PS4 as the part of the PS2 games' conversion, has a problem I find irritating in games that has ostensibly not-random encounters (i.e. enemies are visible on the field), in that they are not really evadable - enemies are fast, they appear from thin air, the camera is clinging to the characters, not allowing one to see much and there are a lot of cramped spaces in dungeons. So in theory, you can avoid an encounter, but in practice it is often better to just run into an enemy and escape from the battle, wasting time. And, because the encounters are not random, you don't have any items to turn the random encounters off!

I point this out in pretty much every game it happens in, and people are always quick to call me an idiot and tell me that I'm obviously just playing wrong. But it happens so often that I don't think I am. Dragon Quest IX was another really annoying example of this because unless you were way over-levelled for an area every slime and poo poo one exp monster would hone in on you non-stop and you couldn't ever outrun them, especially on the world map where you ran at a snails pace. This was especially bad when you took a wrong turn and ended up somewhere with a huge difficulty jump and suddenly you were hosed with no way to escape encounters. Especially when combined with dodgy hitboxes that are bigger than the actual model of the creature, so you think you're in the clear but whoops, turns out there's actually an invisible box extending all around the monster that lets it fight you, it doesn't just have to ram its stupid face into you. At least with traditional random encounters the game doesn't bullshit you with whether or not you can evade an encounter.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

In fact the game is exceedingly boring if you steam roll it so learn to roll with bad luck.

Yeah I cheated by way through the game once by giving myself loads of money. It's kind of fun to see the game break into pieces around you but there's no point to your conquest.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

the tutorial mission helps with the super-duper basics but you'll probably still be kinda lost to alot of major mechanics with just that

standard advice for new people is to play as the duke of mumu on ireland at the default start date; ireland is a very isolated area so you can start small and managable without having to worry about big fuckers like france or the holy roman empire breathing down your neck

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
If you have the patience, looking up a tutorial on youtube is also not a bad idea, because paradox constantly updates their games but their tutorials...not so much, so the tutorials end up out of date and not covering the newer content. Looking up a newer tutorial on youtube can help a lot.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Total War: Shogun 2 can suck my dick. At a point in the Fall of the Samurai portion, you can choose to be independent or shogunate/imperial. I said gently caress you guys and went full independent which is similar to the realm divide aspect of vanilla Shogun 2 where just everyone turns against you. I did it because I genuinely like the fights.

Well, like every goddamn Total War game, you get to the point where there's a frontline and you have your deathstacks mashing their deathstacks and everyone's dying all the time. But you also get to have little rear end in a top hat boats landing weak-ish invasion forces way the gently caress behind your actual armies, so you lose a city or two before you get a bunch of soldiers together.

Your options are to A) create standing militias/armies in your back cities to kill the invasion forces which necessitates upkeep and also foregoing some income/happiness buildings for army-producing buildings or B) create a navy and create a wall of boats so they can't sneak by you. B is fine, but you have to anticipate a bullshit mechanic by gaming the system and ahving a literal wall of boats extending from the coastline to border of the map.

The other thing is that when there's an army, of any size, in your provinces they'll just run around and gently caress up all your buildings. Same for navies, they'll just bomb from the harbor, no questions asked. Why even allow this nonsense? Rome 2 does something similar where they can just stand in place and raid your entire province, taking money and causing unhappiness until you take an army and attack THEM. In your own province(s).

And lastly, FotS does a very stupid thing that is probably historically accurate but also bullshit. And that is the effect of artillery. If I have troops and they have artillery, I lose. If we both have troops and artillery, I spend the whole battle trying to kill their artillery with my artillery while they kill my troops with their artillery. If I shoot at their troops with my artillery, they still shoot at my dudes while our soldiers are duking it out, but mine don't because they're scared of friendly fire. Or, I can have my cavalry run around and come after them and pray they don't shoot at the cavalry, since they're laser-accurate against cavalry. If I have artillery and they don't, I just win. No exceptions.

Artillery just trivializes everything else, unless they have artillery in which case I just lose a bunch of troops and my artillery neutralizes theirs. Cool.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

RagnarokAngel posted:

Seriously, seeing how badly you can gently caress yourself over can actually be fun sometimes. Having to deal with ruling a kingdom as an inbred gay werewolf can be a nice little challenge for a generation or so.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Seriously, seeing how badly you can gently caress yourself over can actually be fun sometimes. Having to deal with ruling a kingdom as an inbred gay werewolf can be a nice little challenge for a generation or so.

I have no interest in CK2 but it's always a good thing when a game can get this right. It's really boring and unfun when a game is over long before it's actually over, but it's awesome when you have a very real chance to dig yourself out of a hole and always have a reason to keep playing, and it makes for good comeback stories.

There's way more games that get this wrong than get it right though, and in almost every genre. When I tried DOTA 2 I could not stand how long matches went on even though they were decided 20 minutes before they ended. Enter the gungeon can get really demoralizing when you get unlucky and/or have a bad start, to the point where it can feel like you should just throw the run away and quit. XCOM 2 is a 30 hour game but a single failed mission 10 hours in can cripple you so badly that there is no reason to keep going.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I feel like XCOM2 is a lot more forgiving about that than 1 is though and you get a lot of tools to prevent bad poo poo from happening to your guys. Pretty much as soon as you get a couple supports leveled up and finish training your Psi troops you can just take over half the enemy troops to ruin their poo poo. Seriously, taking over their killbots then making them run into a group and firing their rocket launcher at their feet to take everything out will never not be funny.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Morglon posted:

I feel like XCOM2 is a lot more forgiving about that than 1 is though and you get a lot of tools to prevent bad poo poo from happening to your guys. Pretty much as soon as you get a couple supports leveled up and finish training your Psi troops you can just take over half the enemy troops to ruin their poo poo. Seriously, taking over their killbots then making them run into a group and firing their rocket launcher at their feet to take everything out will never not be funny.

2 is probably forgiving, but it feels much less so, because that giant ADVENT COUNTDOWN all in GIANT RED ALLCAPS is pretty terrifying for anyone who doesn't know you can ignore it for a long long time before it becomes an issue.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Digirat posted:

I have no interest in CK2 but it's always a good thing when a game can get this right. It's really boring and unfun when a game is over long before it's actually over, but it's awesome when you have a very real chance to dig yourself out of a hole and always have a reason to keep playing, and it makes for good comeback stories.

There's way more games that get this wrong than get it right though, and in almost every genre. When I tried DOTA 2 I could not stand how long matches went on even though they were decided 20 minutes before they ended. Enter the gungeon can get really demoralizing when you get unlucky and/or have a bad start, to the point where it can feel like you should just throw the run away and quit. XCOM 2 is a 30 hour game but a single failed mission 10 hours in can cripple you so badly that there is no reason to keep going.
That is actually very rarely absolutely true - I have had some amazing turnarounds when it seemed a complete lost cause after 20 minutes, and then the game took 70 minutes total and we won by the skin of our teeth. Those are the best games. The big problem is, I only ever play with friends, and we can and will push each other to focus, wait for the enemy team to become overconfident, capitalize on mistakes, don't get greey and fight back with everything we have. If you are five random people together, one of you decides "yeah it's over now" and two others agree, then yes, the game IS over. That's just self-fulfilling prophecy at that point.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morglon posted:

This is almost the point when you're in victory lap territory though. It takes so long to level people up, especially on commander and legendary, that losing a full crew in the first half of the game is just something you can't really replace due to resources, and losing it in the second half means it will be over before you even have another team up to colonel rank. I have not had it happen to me but when I have 8 soldiers, losing 6 would mean I would be stuck with 2 low level dudes and 4 rookies, which is basically a game over at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Xythe posted:

I feel you for those other games, but FTL has such a brick wall of an end boss and the RNG can just not give you key components to any build whatsoever, and its combat system is 75% numbers. There are ways to mitigate this but that is also RNG dependent. FTL is a good game but I don't think there's really a way to fix this issue without removing the time limit or changing the gameplay in drastic ways. Having a game that is just kind of "you lost because luck, better luck next time" isn't a bad thing but it is annoying when you get 0 cornerstones of any build through no fault of your own.

There was a mod that had no time limit but also made each successive sector increasingly difficult, as well as eventually throwing boss fights at you, with the idea being to go as far as you can instead of going eight sectors and hoping you didn't get hosed out of any weapons that run (I went at least one run without being able to buy a single additional weapon, and without one dropping).

quote:

This is almost the point when you're in victory lap territory though. It takes so long to level people up, especially on commander and legendary, that losing a full crew in the first half of the game is just something you can't really replace due to resources, and losing it in the second half means it will be over before you even have another team up to colonel rank. I have not had it happen to me but when I have 8 soldiers, losing 6 would mean I would be stuck with 2 low level dudes and 4 rookies, which is basically a game over at that point.

XCOM 2 expects you to evac rather than fight to the bitter end in those instances. As long as you recover the special gear like EXO/WAR suits you can bounce back. I had to fight a retaliation mission with chryssalids with a squad of squaddies and because they had that gear they pulled through. And you can always buy higher level guys at resistance HQ if it becomes dire. You also should be building a backup squad, just in case, same as in Enemy Unknown.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Apr 19, 2016