Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm no Mythbusters aficionado, but I think the Build Team stuff got out of control and the show essentially became Savage and Hyneman handing off 60% of the show to them while they worked on the "main" myth. It's the main reason I gave up on the show years ago. I did think the final season was their strongest season since the early days though.

The show should stay dead though. They had a hell of a run.

The Junior Mythbuster crew were always consistently the weakest part of the show, I was glad they dumped them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My favorite myth ever was "Can an water heater explode out of the roof of a house". Boy can it!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Also whenever they did something that obviously wouldn't work and then decided to just blow it up so the footage would still be usable

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

raditts posted:

The Junior Mythbuster crew were always consistently the weakest part of the show, I was glad they dumped them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0SEBFGGEcI

Lol we could have killed you lololol

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

Also whenever they did something that obviously wouldn't work and then decided to just blow it up so the footage would still be usable

I really appreciated that. I liked Mythbusters in general (although, I quit watching it like 5 years ago), but I always hated when they would spend a huge amount of time doing the stupidest poo poo that wasn't interesting, didn't work, and no one cared about. So it was nice when they at least gave us that explosion.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I hated the B team and I was really happy when they tried to rejuvenate the show by ditching them. Shame I guess someone decided it didn't work. Doing it over with new people is going to work about as well as Top Gear without Clarkson, May, and Hammond.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've gotten the feeling from things Jamie has said in interviews that the show he wanted to make was a lot closer to the one most goons wanted - more scientifically rigorous, more thorough, no build team, fewer explosions - but not one that anybody else would have tuned in to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They claim that the whole thing was a set up by a producer and afterwards Adam fired said person.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snak posted:

What I hated the most is when they would test a myth in a way that was only maybe-sorta analogous to the actual myth.

Like for their Hindenberg episode, they were way too loving lazy to see how a sealed envelope of hydrogen burned, so they just made a non-sealed blimp-shaped model, ran a hose into it, and pumped hydrogen into it and then lit it on fire. Congrats on testing whether you can burn hydrogen, I guess, and nothing about blimps or thermite.

Now, there's probably a great reason for it. Like, scale model of a blimp isn't going to have enough hydrogen in it to burn in the same way the real Hindenberg did, and it would almost certainly be hugely anticlimactic or non-characteristically explosive if they tried to do that. But still, when they pretend that their experiments are analogous to something and they clearly aren't, and they don't bother to discuss the differences between their experiments and the myth, it just bugs me.

See also when they did icecicle myths and they cast ice spikes in molds as their ice-cicles without ever addressing if the structure of a spike the made in the freeze is the same as one that forms by dripping. No poo poo humans can make sharp objects out of hard materials and stab them into stuff. That's not a loving myth.

What was the myth? The Hindenburg burned. There's video.

Edit: That reminds me of the later years where they started doing Youtube "myths". Just because you can't replicate the exact circumstances and dumb luck some things happened in, doesn't mean they didn't happen.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 18, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

What was the myth? The Hindenburg burned. There's video.

Edit: That reminds me of the later years where they started doing Youtube "myths". Just because you can't replicate the exact circumstances and dumb luck some things happened in, doesn't mean they didn't happen.

The myth was somewhat related to the real life theory about the silver paint being used to paint the hindenberg functioning like thermite. I watched a special about it long before the mythbuster's episode. I have no idea how much water the theory holds.

The theory is that the outer skin of the Hindenberg was made of painted panels, which where separate from each-other and attached the frame by cords. These cords were not perfect conductors and allowed differential charges to build up in the panels, eventually resulting in an electric arc jumping between two panels and igniting the paint. This fire would then lead to the rupture of the hydrogen envelope and the ignition of its contents.

Mythbusters basically reduced it to "Hurr was the Hindenberg made out of thermite?! Let's build a thermite blimp and burn it to test it!" Testing none of the actual elements of the original myth.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

muscles like this? posted:

They claim that the whole thing was a set up by a producer and afterwards Adam fired said person.

I believe that. They're pretty visibly uncomfortable even before he touches the things.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

IRQ posted:

I hated the B team and I was really happy when they tried to rejuvenate the show by ditching them. Shame I guess someone decided it didn't work. Doing it over with new people is going to work about as well as Top Gear without Clarkson, May, and Hammond.

Mythbusters with Matt LeBlanc could be fun though

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FadingChord posted:

Mythbusters with Matt LeBlanc could be fun though

Yeah, I look forward to Top Gear with him. Top Gear with the three stooges was getting pretty tired and stale the last few seasons anyway - aside of the shenigans when they had their seasonly racist incident - I hope their Amazon show will shake things a bit up, not continue where they left off.

Not sure about the other new Top Gear hosts though, but Matt LeBlanc is a big draw for me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Magicians-book-likers: Did the show turn out well?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The one Top Gear episode where they made fun of Mexicans as being lazy and lovely made absolutely no sense to me. Do British people even meet any Mexicans ever? I thought the traditional British racists hated Pakistanis or something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

The one Top Gear episode where they made fun of Mexicans as being lazy and lovely made absolutely no sense to me. Do British people even meet any Mexicans ever? I thought the traditional British racists hated Pakistanis or something.

Your racism game has to be diverse to have the kind of colonialist history Britain has.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've gotten the feeling from things Jamie has said in interviews that the show he wanted to make was a lot closer to the one most goons wanted - more scientifically rigorous, more thorough, no build team, fewer explosions - but not one that anybody else would have tuned in to.

It's interesting because if you watch the first few seasons they're a lot more like that, and they go much more into the detail of how they set things up and why things might actually work. But I guess IS BREAKING BAD SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE (spoilers, it is not) was more exciting

They kind of went back to that in the final season which generally is why people liked it, I think

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's interesting because if you watch the first few seasons they're a lot more like that, and they go much more into the detail of how they set things up and why things might actually work. But I guess IS BREAKING BAD SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE (spoilers, it is not) was more exciting

They kind of went back to that in the final season which generally is why people liked it, I think
Yeah, the early seasons were stronger.

Jamie has also complained about the difficulty of just doing basic building and testing with the need to make everything easily filmable. Apparently it made even simple stuff way more complicated, even ignoring pressures to make big explosions, etc.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I thought the books were kind of garbage, though I only read the first two.

Show turned out to be a lot of fun.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

From what I gathered from the book readers complaints the show was wildly different. New stories, changed stories, new characters, changed characters, sped up stories, parts taken from some books and put in others, events happening totally differently or out of order. The book readers spent the bulk of the season really mad and annoyed about the changes in the show but then seemed to pull a 180 late in the season when the show said something weird which sort of/kind of addressed that so they were satisfied.

Although most of us non-book readers who followed along with the complaints agreed that the show seemed WAY better than what the books sounded like.

As a non-book reader I thought it was an ok show. Not great and with more than its share of flaws but it kept my interest all season and wound up on a relatively interesting place.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I bet there's a great tell-all book to be written about corporate interference on that show. Not only were the later season basically giant movie/TV show commercials but the advertisers actually forbade them from covering actual myths involving things like the security of NFC credit cards or RFID tags.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

I bet there's a great tell-all book to be written about corporate interference on that show. Not only were the later season basically giant movie/TV show commercials but the advertisers actually forbade them from covering actual myths involving things like the security of NFC credit cards or RFID tags.

Jamie talked about this at a convention once, they filmed an entire episode about the veracity of various toothpaste claims but Discovery wouldn't air it because they didn't want their advertisers getting nervous that Mythbusters would be coming after them next (or them coming after Discovery with endless lawsuits).

Seems to me Adam and Jamie could get steady, if less glamorous, work with Consumer Reports.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Jamie talked about this at a convention once, they filmed an entire episode about the veracity of various toothpaste claims but Discovery wouldn't air it because they didn't want their advertisers getting nervous that Mythbusters would be coming after them next (or them coming after Discovery with endless lawsuits).

Seems to me Adam and Jamie could get steady, if less glamorous, work with Consumer Reports.
Consumer Reports used to do a cool magazine called Zillions, which was CR for kids. I'd love to see them bring it back as a web series with Adam and Jamie - I think Adam especially would love a chance to teach kids about skepticism and understanding advertising tricks.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Any of you guys watching Hunters? It's like everything I wanted The Strain to be, really good villain and some cool alien/parasite/cronenbergy(but the gov't is pretty sure aliens) backstory. 2 episodes have aired so far, if you've been impressed with SyFy's originals lately this continues the trend imo.

They give you a nice dose of what they're looking for and what Hunters are, but nobody really knows what these things are or why they're here or if they're from this planet/an experiment gone wrong.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

Any of you guys watching Hunters? It's like everything I wanted The Strain to be, really good villain and some cool alien/parasite/cronenbergy(but the gov't is pretty sure aliens) backstory. 2 episodes have aired so far, if you've been impressed with SyFy's originals lately this continues the trend imo.

They give you a nice dose of what they're looking for and what Hunters are, but nobody really knows what these things are or why they're here or if they're from this planet/an experiment gone wrong.

I was just going to post about it because man, it's kind of a weird show. Everything is super serious, except for Julian McMahon's villain who just runs around constantly mugging and chewing scenery. I'm kind of wondering if Spotify is actually paying them any comarketing money. On the one hand they've mentioned it quite a bit but on the other hand it's because the terrorists are using it to communicate with each other. That seems like something a company would want to avoid being associated with.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

muscles like this? posted:

I was just going to post about it because man, it's kind of a weird show. Everything is super serious, except for Julian McMahon's villain who just runs around constantly mugging and chewing scenery. I'm kind of wondering if Spotify is actually paying them any comarketing money. On the one hand they've mentioned it quite a bit but on the other hand it's because the terrorists are using it to communicate with each other. That seems like something a company would want to avoid being associated with.

I was going to mention the music in this show is on point. Maybe they did get some kind of Spotify deal to get access to songs that would otherwise cost too much for a SyFy show. The Passenger by Iggy Pop stands out in ep. 2, didn't expect to hear that.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Is anyone watching The Night Manager? I'm liking it a lot so far.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Professor Funk posted:

Is anyone watching The Night Manager? I'm liking it a lot so far.

I watched it when it aired on BBC, and yeah, I liked it a whole lot.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

ShakeZula posted:

I watched it when it aired on BBC, and yeah, I liked it a whole lot.

Ah, I had no idea it had aired on BBC in February! No idea why I completely missed that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I guess I'm a bit behind but I finally got through the rest of Daredevil season 2 tonight. I'll spoiler tag since it's only been a month since it came out, but whoever it was that said the season went to poo poo as soon as ninjas showed up was right on the money, it's like as soon as the first Punisher arc ended they decided to take all the worst parts of Arrow season 3 and change all the names around to Daredevil characters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As a comic reader it's amusing to see so many people asking why these mystical ninjas showed up in Daredevil out of nowhere. Considering that's been a big part of Daredevil for decades.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think it's funny when the MCU as a whole gets to its crazier or more out-there concepts when the Netflix fandom, which has an incredibly strict to the point of dishonest interpretation of the source material, realizes that they are in fact watching a comic book tv show and not something that should necessarily be held to the rigors of The Americans or Better Call Saul.

Like, once Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, and Inhumans hit we'll be dealing with an MCU that has half-aliens and mystical dimension travellers using literal bloodmagic running about as if it ain't a thing. Ninjas will seem positively realistic at that point.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

people's tepid reaction to the hand isn't because of a lack of realism, it's that it's not the 1980s anymore and american pop culture is no longer in love with the idea of ninjas as exotic or deadly or anything but a goofy ridiculous punchline

e: this is also why i'm kinda nervous about how people react to iron fist, even if i'm confident that they'll do a pretty good job with it

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Hand are an essential part of Daredevil's backstory. Love 'em or hate 'em, that's just the facts.

Like it'd be like going "Alien symbiote? THIS is the part where I'm getting off the Spider-Man train. I was on board with the wall-crawling, and the web-slinging, but come on. Aliens? That is just ONE STEP TOO FAR."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sure but why would a non-comic book person give a poo poo about what's an essential part of backstory or not?

i think it'd be totally fine for your hypothetical person to not be into spidey getting the symbiote because it reframes what could just be a story about a teen in nyc fighting crooks by throwing in alien menaces from beyond the stars

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Again, I think the anger is that stuff like The Hand is the scales falling from people's eyes and realizing that they are watching television shows based on comic books. You can tell really awesome and fantastic stories in the medium, and I've spent the better part of the last couple of weeks reading them, but there will always be ninjas, just like how the Fantastic Four stars a man who is conflicted by his genius and his pressing need to save everyone despite it being impossible, who's also able to stretch his limbs like taffy. The discordance is always there, it has always been there, it will always be there. The Netflix Marvel series have been presenting a nearly disingenuous perspective that was never sustainable; the Marvel comics have expanded their focus and now there's a lot of comics where stories are about the mundane/normalcy of everyday life, but even those have comic goofiness. Hellcat! AKA Patsy Walker is essentially a comic book version of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, but you have to remember that the main character has magic powers and spent years in literal Hell. Like, fire and brimstone Hell. Silk is almost entirely about a young woman dealing with her rage issues down to extended scenes of therapy sessions, but she got those aforementioned rage issues from being locked in a bunker for a decade and as she was broken out and chased across the multiverse by a group of hunters who wanted to consume her life energy. The comic book goofiness you either have to accept or look past, because it's loving everywhere, in every comic Marvel publishes. And try as Netflix might they could resist the goofiness for only so long before it caught up to them, ESPECIALLY in the MCU. A strict-line Nolanverse imagining of Luke Cage/Jessica Jones/Daredevil was possible, but would've required a separate interpretation and universe from the movies, something that was never ever ever in the cards.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 20, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

My problem with the Hand is that it just wasn't executed as well as the Punisher stuff. I'm 100% on board for Ninjas but they should have focused this season more on the Punisher and the conspiracy linked to that while teasing Hand stuff and setting it up properly for s3.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Brother Entropy posted:

i think it'd be totally fine for your hypothetical person to not be into spidey getting the symbiote because it reframes what could just be a story about a teen in nyc fighting crooks by throwing in alien menaces from beyond the stars

And they would be wrong, because it's a natural escalation that took over two decades of storytelling to even approach and produced what's commonly considered to be his best villain. And in "realism" I find it hard to really fathom "radioactive spider that gives a dorky teenage New Yorker spider powers over cancer" as somehow less crazy than "that same dorky teenage New Yorker travels with taffy man, invisible girl, fire man, and rock dude who are established to be in the same universe as him and got their powers from going into space into space and as a result gets an alien symbiote suit". Like, even from the bounds of the universe established Spidey's black suit was totally earned and plausible. And then, after that, the comic was able to spin that development into Venom, and as a result Spider-Man's whole gimmick of being paralyzed by his self-esteem and lack of confidence has an outlet in a dude who wants to kill him for the crime of existing.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 20, 2016

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

again though, why should a non-comic book person care about any of that if the adapation they actually watched did things they disliked? if a netflix watcher sees the hand stuff and dislikes it they're not gonna be swayed into a different opinion by 'well, in the COMICS', it's irrelevant to their context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ninjas are dumb

• Locked thread