Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SurfaceDetail posted:

Yes me too. Thanks again to my benefactor

Was it balls or are you still claiming it was your knee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Has anyone got any WC books to take quotes from?
Completely forgot to post here, but this is the kind of thing that improved Ben's vision.

It's his moderation policy in a nutshell.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
My knees were balding so I had long thin hairs implanted on my knee. It was also very cold so I had goosebumps on my knee. I am also 6 foot 11

Explains everything.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Raticus79 posted:

I'm disappointed by the lack of :pgabz: in this post.
Sorry, I didn't know that all of the shitposters in this thread have their own smilies now.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Man, I can tell exactly what point you jumped out of the thread at. That was definitely one of the golden ages of the thread. Dunno what happened to Dickwulfe, I think that was one of those rabbit holes that was just too drat sad to keep following.

They have put an African American dude in literally all of their Santa Monica videos since the "Sandi's a Racist" meme went over. Like Ben's wife he doesn't really say much on the streams.

Seraph eventually got permabanned a few more times and went away for a while, then re-surfaced elsewhere on the forums with some financial troubles (bitcoin went bad?)

The game can be "played" in a limited tech demo but it sucks poo poo so you should just watch Peter Gabriel's excellent vids to get the full picture

G0RF is kind of the best effortposter right now, but there are lots of great folks to follow to catch up with the hilarity. There are now a number of CIG/ex-CIG employees posting in the thread so the threads at a really interesting place right now.
God bless.
:patriot:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Reharakhti posted:

No, but it can get it's skeleton replaced:

:proof:

SelenicMartian posted:

Has anyone got any WC books to take quotes from?

i may

please hold

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet

KM Scorchio posted:

If you tell me you'll include some kind of space cat rape slider mechanic I'll mail you my first born son.

?

SurfaceDetail posted:

That's impressive and everything but what jpegs can you show me?

Whats your 18 million dollar stretch goal? You don't even seem to have a youtube or twitch stream. I bet you only have one location.

These are just the basics that are unaccounted for. I don't think you understand game development.

Here's an exclusive face texture jpeg, $100
(this is the actual face texture, I'm too lazy for real textures at this point)
The 18 million dollar stretch goal : I will put stickers on my cat, and film him, then throw away the footage and animate by hand

SurfaceDetail posted:

I mean if you really want to get serious about game development I'm gonna have to see what state your genitals are in.
I don't have a scrotum to post though :(

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Holy poo poo that's awesome

Can I make cute music for your game

That would be amazing, I just started this last week so I haven't thought about music yet

EminusSleepus posted:

would love to test that game!

I'm planning on putting a demo on itch.io when it's done, will link it of course.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Sorry, I didn't know that all of the shitposters in this thread have their own smilies now.

God bless.
:patriot:

Seraph lost his job and wants to sell his Star Citizen account.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Trapezium Dave posted:

We will never find out what goes in a Hairy Roberts. :(

Nuts.

e: Hairy nuts. Also, coke.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Mods please rename Surface Detail to Hairy Roberts. Thanks.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

:laffo:

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

parp parp parp parp

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

turns out i do. i remembering having the one that screenshot was drawn from - the novelisation of the fourth game - but i don't know where it is. what i do have, however, is the novelisation of the third game. prepare for the epic moment where colonel christopher "mark "old man" hammill" blair takes on his best friend turned traitor hobbes

yes hobbes. yes the alien kitty cat best friend alien is called hobbes. no i'm not making this up

quote:

A smaller blip showed up on the sensors. Vaquero launched a missile. It must have been a fire-and-forget model, judging from the way it bobbed and weaved in pursuit of Ralgha’s fighter. Hobbes tried to dodge it, but it caught him across the port-side shield. Lopez let out a whoop and dove. Blair could almost see his blasters pouring on the fire.

“All right!” Lopez shouted. “That one’s for Cobra! Get ready to say good-bye, Hobbes.”

“Not today, I’m afraid,” Ralgha replied evenly. The Kilrathi’s fighter released a barrage of missiles. They struck in quick succession.

“Cristos . . . I’m breaking up!” Vaquero called. “Adios, amigos . . ."

And then he was gone.

“God drat you,” Blair growled. “God drat you to hell.”

“Is that you. . . old friend?” Hobbes asked. For a moment, he sounded like Blair’s old wingman, worried, ready to help. “It would be wisest if you turned back, Colonel. Before I am forced to deal with you as well.”

“Deal with this . . . old friend!” Blair shouted. Ralgha’s Excalibur was just coming into extreme range, and Blair let loose a volley of blaster fire. But Hobbes anticipated it, and the shots only grazed his shields.

Ralgha turned away, as if to run. Blair’s hands clenched on the steering yoke. If Hobbes decided to use his cloak, he might still get away . . .

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Fidelitous.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

for a high-intensity bit of combat where the protagonist is forced to watch the man he considered his best friend kill one of his comrades it sure is bland, boring and slow

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Can someone with search do a quick Seraph84 post retrospective? I feel like at one point he mocked people for being poors and I really want to savor that morsel of schadenfreude.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

also i'm not sure how the characters are spatially related to one and other

vaquero fires a missile which hits hobbes on the port-side but vaquero is able to 'dive' on him and hit him with his guns. however, at the same time, hobbes is able to fire missiles that hit him? were they charging each other head on? why?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Reharakhti posted:

I can't keep up with this thread, is the game done yet?

Space games are easy, I've got physics and stuff
Not quite Solar Plebeian level, but I like how this thread spawns video games :v:

:five: :five: :five: :five: :five:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
This is the kind of stuff I'm sad I missed.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Nothing brings home the complete and utter insanity of this thing, and the obvious con trick that Crobbelletto is pulling, than looking at that list of ships. Ships that don't exist. In a game that doesn't exist.

Why the gently caress the media aren't picking up on this lunacy I do not know. The number of moaning articles I have read about micro transactions, pay to win etc and here we have The biggest scam in videogame history and no one wants to write about it

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 19, 2016

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

Guys, I'm starting to fear that we won't get three discrete alien languages developed by etymologists.

A few pages back, but it looks like they hired entomologists by mistake judging by all the bugs

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Why the gently caress the media aren't picking up on this lunacy I do not know. The biggest scam in videogame history and no one wants to write about it

Believe me in two weeks they will.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Milky Moor posted:

turns out i do. i remembering having the one that screenshot was drawn from - the novelisation of the fourth game - but i don't know where it is.
It's on my shelf. Got a WC4 box for 5 pounds in the UK along with Darklight Conflict.

I'm glad to see WC writing is consistenly awful and making GBS threads on Ben's bible is another avenue we can take in dark times.

Milky Moor posted:

also i'm not sure how the characters are spatially related to one and other
I get that playing WC1, 2 and Privateer.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

Why the gently caress the media aren't picking up on this lunacy I do not know.

No one wants to touch the poop.

Small poop you can scrape off your soles is okay.
Big poop that goes over the edge of your shoe and leaks into your socks not okay.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Derek was right when he said the ELE would be unexpected. I wouldn't have guessed it involved a goon's hairy ballsack.

Oh boy now I get to mark off 'Elite Dangerous' square on today's star citizen moron bingo card. I'm gonna guess he's referring mainly to the lack of offline mode, which was never a stretch goal.

Some rep management going on in that RPS article.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/18/star-citizen-free-fly-week/

The same script. "you haven't been following progress, look into the development and you'll see the light and want to spend thousands on jpegs!"

when you look into the development it's just the same crap but even more idiotic, it's clownshoes all the way down.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Reharakhti posted:

Not quite Solar Plebeian level, but I like how this thread spawns video games :v:
:five: i want to play Spacecat!

also

TTerrible posted:

Mods please rename Surface Detail to Hairy Roberts. Thanks.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Danknificent posted:

It will be GOTY 1994

Got any idea when Rapture happens and we reset counting again?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

smellmycheese posted:

Why the gently caress the media aren't picking up on this lunacy I do not know.

Gaming media operates more as a hobbyist enterprise as opposed to CNN or whatever. They are interested on access and getting scoops on the hobby. They'll cover controversial stuff on occasion if their readers demand it and some sites are trying to go whole hog on that.

But the majority don't want to make unnecessary enemies when their business model is get cool previews and post reviews. They don't secretly love star citizen. There'll be plenty of articles when its dead but they aren't going to go way out of their way to "expose" anything.

SurfaceDetail fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 19, 2016

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Misread it as ”awesome fecal animation work”.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Reharakhti posted:

Game is clearly incomplete. He falls over but nobody asks if he's ok.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Weirdest scrotum ever.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

:five:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

SurfaceDetail posted:

Gaming media operates more as a hobbyist enterprise as opposed to CNN or whatever. They are interested on access and getting scoops on the hobby. They'll cover controversial stuff on occasion if their readers demand it and some sites are trying to go whole hog on that.

But the majority don't want to make unnecessary enemies when their business model is get cool previews and post reviews. There'll be plenty of articles when its dead but they aren't going to go way out of their way to "expose" anything.

Kotaku have a piece on their front page today about a Nintendo employee who was moonlighting as a hooker, and a big piece calling out Ubisoft on how poo poo the Division has turned out. I get what you're saying but this is fraud on a massive scale - surely someone is going to have the balls to call it that soon?

And what are they going to lose? Crobber banning studio visits where they get to not see any game footage? Access to the magnificent alpha?

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 19, 2016

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

orcinus posted:

Misread it as ”awesome fecal animation work”.

Andy Serkis got triple his regular fee to mocap that. Commandos demand only the most fidelitous and immersive toilet experience.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

smellmycheese posted:

Kotaku have a piece on their front page today about a Nintendo employee who was moonlighting as a hooker, and a big piece calling out Ubisoft on how poo poo the Division has turned out. I get what you're saying but this is fraud on a massive scale - surely someone is going to have the balls to call it that soon?

Kotaku was actually the site I was referring to that is trying to go "whole hog" on that. Hell maybe they will. Should be a good read.

Right now they gotta have double triple confirmation that no money is left or poo poo is closing etc before they stick their necks out.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

AP posted:

I think your posts are brilliant but I disagree the Escapist was a wet fart, I assume a lot of what was in the Escapist piece will later be relevant. They put effort into verifying sources, doubled down on sticking to their story in the face of a lot of flak over id cards and had a podcast where they did the most important and hurtful thing to the Star Citizen brand, they laughed hard at everyone involved.

CIG made unforced errors in response by posting an ill judged Chris Roberts rant and making the legal threat they didn't follow through on.

However accurate the RSI funding tracker is, we don't know how badly all that has hurt CIG since nor how many refunds came from it but you can certainly look at Star Citizen pre Escapist and post Escapist. That piece killed most of the lazy media stories that Star Citizen was certain to be a successful and good game.

I mentally establish a dividing line between the article, and its effects. The article did not kick off a sea change in the journalistic space, with other people following suit and other investigations beginning, and so on. That's what I was hoping for. But it DID kick off a series of incredibly ill-advised, transparent attempts at damage control from CIG, including the Roberts Rant, putting Money on video, and basically just doing all the things wrong. Every action taken by CIG after that article validated it, rather than refuted it. In that sense, I agree it had an impact. But if CIG had been run by competent individuals, and there had been no response to the article at all, I contend that it would have sailed right by.

CIG is still their own worst enemy, which is unavoidable when your VP of marketing has the mind of a 10-year old girl and thinks this whole thing is an internet popularity contest. If tomorrow some news article came out about Ben-Ghazi, two days later they'd make sure to have Ben sitting next to a little girl on their broadcast. That's the intellectual level CIG operates on.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Truga posted:

Got any idea when Rapture happens and we reset counting again?

Two days.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Reharakhti posted:

You have a semblance of talent. I like you.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Reharakhti posted:

This is really cool. Do you have more info?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Also Reharakhti, please draw inspiration from this masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkeOpTPeAtk

• Locked thread