Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

shelley posted:

The only information I could get from this at first glance was that the "graphic designer" has almost the same rare last name as I do. And look what he's done with it.

The graph looks like stacked slabs of uncooked meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cleretic posted:

Far as I can tell, this graph is a depiction of how people rate those respondents. So, of all respondents, people rank teachers as more prestigious than clergymen, soldiers and congressmen, but less prestigious than doctors, scientists and firefighters.

I think a better measurement for this would be 'respect', since it seems to have been taken that way and makes more sense.
The stacked pie chart presentation is super weird, but it says "proportion of respondents" right in the title. It was probably either polled as "Is occupation X prestigious, yes/no" or they were asked to assign prestige on a 5 point scale and it's a count of 4s and 5s, 'very' being the low bar next to neutral in most implementations of the 5 point scale.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

shelley posted:

The only information I could get from this at first glance was that the "graphic designer" has almost the same rare last name as I do. And look what he's done with it.

Come back to your original fatherland, the Netherlands, where De Graaff isn't that rare of a name (it means "The Count", as in the nobility title).

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

It took me a bit of time to understand just how terrible the scaling was on this.

I mean, you'd expect a crypto-graph from a crypto-currency.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

quote:

Holger Zschäpitz is senior editor of the financial desk and market maniac at @Welt

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

OK so dual Y axis is the obvious fuckup here. The bitcoin scale is 6 times larger and is thus 6 times more unstable.

But why in the hell is the Yen axis flipped upside down? When the graph shows a decline of the Yen, it's actually doing better, the exact opposite of Bitcoin's trend.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

OK so dual Y axis is the obvious fuckup here. The bitcoin scale is 6 times larger and is thus 6 times more unstable.

But why in the hell is the Yen axis flipped upside down? When the graph shows a decline of the Yen, it's actually doing better, the exact opposite of Bitcoin's trend.

Because he wants you to think the opposite is true

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Judge Schnoopy posted:

oh my god

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Judge Schnoopy posted:

But why in the hell is the Yen axis flipped upside down?

It's actually not - another example of how bad this graph is. The left Y-axis is in yen per USD, so the smaller that number, the stronger the yen is against the dollar.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Besesoth posted:

It's actually not - another example of how bad this graph is. The left Y-axis is in yen per USD, so the smaller that number, the stronger the yen is against the dollar.

Fantastic, an axis that's yen per USD vs an axis that's USD per bitcoin. That means bitcoins are somewhere between 8x to 10x more unstable than formal currency, but at least the trends match I guess?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Since I was curious, here's an extremely low resolution version of the chart (that easily omits the worst of BTC's offenses). I just grabbed each data point at the start of each quarter, and for JPY I converted it to 1/$value

Stability!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Die Welt is a super garbage newspaper so that's not surprising one bit. It is, however, really loving funny.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Sentient Data posted:

Since I was curious, here's an extremely low resolution version of the chart (that easily omits the worst of BTC's offenses). I just grabbed each data point at the start of each quarter, and for JPY I converted it to 1/$value

Stability!

Hahaha.

This just goes to show once again that a graph quickly glanced at isn't worth poo poo and how you can make data show whatever you want as long as you're willing to use the most stupid representations just because they fit your narrative.

I think presenting that kinda garbage as a journalist should be finable :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Maxwells Demon posted:

It took me a bit of time to understand just how terrible the scaling was on this.

Not to mention it’s comparing both of them to the U.S. dollar, implicitly admitting that dollars have the stability of a rock.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Platystemon posted:

Not to mention it’s comparing both of them to the U.S. dollar, implicitly admitting that dollars have the stability of a rock.

Clearly the superior choice is comparing both to the Gold Standard :freep:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The graph isn't wrong so they can only blame the editor for that. Notice how he is an editor, not a finance type career. He just edits finance reports horribly.

Also he does describe himself as a maniac

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
gently caress does anyone have the horrible meme picture where they have some data and draw 3 different projections that are all horrible. I think it had some meme dunce cap guy in it.

I can't seem to find it via google.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Third World Reggin posted:

gently caress does anyone have the horrible meme picture where they have some data and draw 3 different projections that are all horrible. I think it had some meme dunce cap guy in it.

I can't seem to find it via google.

Found via an image search for "dunce graph", but I'd seen it before many times in the various make-fun-of-bitcoins threads.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

MSPaint lives on :allears:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I don't know, it might actually be a copy of Visio that's screaming in pain

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bomrek posted:

MSPaint lives on :allears:

I'm honestly of the opinion that, if you want to see if someone has some underlying mental disorder, then rather than sending them straight to a psychiatrist, you first ask them to make a simple graph.

If it ends up looking like that, then they get sent for treatment.

Of course, the content is a bit of a clue, too.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
"Sports person" is the best vague title. A player? An enthusiast? A trainer? A sports person

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

sweeperbravo posted:

"Sports person" is the best vague title. A player? An enthusiast? A trainer? A sports person

That's the only part of the graph that makes any sense. It's a gender neutral sportsman.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Every sports person is required to know this. It's on the test. If you haven't taken the test, have fun with your hobby you filthy casual.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

gently caress the person who invented extruding 2d graphs to make 3d graphs.

To death.

With a rusty nail.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Were the data points drawn from a hat?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm surprised they didn't include a negative bar to represent how much they have to pay out for the salaries.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

That's actually the bar on the farthest right, it's just drawn with an upside-down secondary axis that they forgot to label

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Stolen from the NHL offseason thread:

https://twitter.com/TheAHL/status/722122589334859777/photo/1

I know it does say 'leaders' at the top but it's jarring to get to the bottom of the graph and see 'league average.'

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Albino Squirrel posted:

Stolen from the NHL offseason thread:

https://twitter.com/TheAHL/status/722122589334859777/photo/1

I know it does say 'leaders' at the top but it's jarring to get to the bottom of the graph and see 'league average.'

Seams reasonable to me? There are 30 AHL teams, this chart shows the top 10. The middle 10 probably have average attendance, and the bottom 10 are going to weigh the average down a lot. Even with #7-10 you can see the dropoff gets rather severe.

The only funny thing about this graph is the incredibly stupid names for those teams. Go Moose!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's basically the perfect name for a minor league team from Manitoba

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Seams reasonable to me? There are 30 AHL teams, this chart shows the top 10. The middle 10 probably have average attendance, and the bottom 10 are going to weigh the average down a lot. Even with #7-10 you can see the dropoff gets rather severe.

The only funny thing about this graph is the incredibly stupid names for those teams. Go Moose!

Most of the other teams are also in much smaller arenas. My local teams sellout capacity is lower than the tenth ranked team on there.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Judge Schnoopy posted:

'Hershey Bears' is a pretty great pun though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

34% of Americans were college freshmen in 1997? That's a weird demographic bump.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I understand what they're trying to get across here, despite the language and the enraging pie chart.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah they just chose a completely wrong way to represent their data, but at least the slices seem to be of the right size. Small victories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I want to subscribe to the journal Margin of Error ±4%