Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

smellmycheese posted:

Kotaku have a piece on their front page today about a Nintendo employee who was moonlighting as a hooker, and a big piece calling out Ubisoft on how poo poo the Division has turned out. I get what you're saying but this is fraud on a massive scale - surely someone is going to have the balls to call it that soon?

And what are they going to lose? Crobber banning studio visits where they get to not see any game footage? Access to the magnificent alpha?

The thing is , it isn't fraud ...........in the traditional sense
Have there been fraudulent practices involved , sure, but SC as a whole is not a scam , nor was it set out as such. Croberts genuinely believed he could make the BDSSE and set out to do so . However he thought that by simply attaching his name to it and hiring the best of the best it would magically happen. Cry engines the wrong engine? Hire everyone that made it so they can fix it to my specs. People actually buying JPEGS for thousands of dollars ? sell more !. The worst part is that this attitude has inadvertently created a micro ponzi scheme by its very nature. People have to buy more JPEGS to pay the wages of the dev staff so they can work on the JPEGS they have previously bought. This causes a never ending treadmill of impossible to complete tasks.
Add to this two other elements. When the well starts to dry up : Simply make more outrageous promises and get more whale oil . If anyone questions where the game is point them in the direction of the janky hosed up Cry mod that is SC claiming it exists. And when all else fails simply change the TOS
The biggest worry and one that is now palpable is the Whales getting together ........ This is now happening . Also the good Doctors ELE is happening (And not connected) . This forum and other places where dissent and outright ridicule is mixed with facts and highlighted fuckups is just noise to them , except when it effects their ability to hire which is what you are now seeing. People who can help them out are simply not going to go anywhere near this . Finally the internal rumor mill is now in full swing , people are getting ill about this . All the other hilarity aside the cash is a real concern to those on the factory floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

EightAce posted:

Have there been fraudulent practices involved , sure, but SC as a whole is not a scam , nor was it set out as such. Croberts genuinely believed he could make the BDSSE and set out to do so . However he thought that by simply attaching his name to it and hiring the best of the best it would magically happen. Cry engines the wrong engine? Hire everyone that made it so they can fix it to my specs. People actually buying JPEGS for thousands of dollars ? sell more !. The worst part is that this attitude has inadvertently created a micro ponzi scheme by its very nature. People have to buy more JPEGS to pay the wages of the dev staff so they can work on the JPEGS they have previously bought. This causes a never ending treadmill of impossible to complete tasks.
Add to this two other elements. When the well starts to dry up : Simply make more outrageous promises and get more whale oil . If anyone questions where the game is point them in the direction of the janky hosed up Cry mod that is SC claiming it exists. And when all else fails simply change the TOS
The biggest worry and one that is now palpable is the Whales getting together ........ This is now happening . Also the good Doctors ELE is happening (And not connected) . This forum and other places where dissent and outright ridicule is mixed with facts and highlighted fuckups is just noise to them , except when it effects their ability to hire which is what you are now seeing. People who can help them out are simply not going to go anywhere near this . Finally the internal rumor mill is now in full swing , people are getting ill about this . All the other hilarity aside the cash is a real concern to those on the factory floor

Does Chris himself feel any of this? Or is he just waving his hands in every direction, 100% secure in the knowledge that his very existence automatically means failure is impossible?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
http://segmentnext.com/2016/04/19/star-citizen-stretch-goals-cut-for-launch/

"It is routine for MMO titles to add new content, crowdfunding projects change their vision and development goals at different stages. Unfortunately with Star Citizen, each change or hurdle in development have been poorly handled by devs and Chris Roberts himself."

"The scale of Star Citizen’s ambition has been the main problem."

:agesilaus:

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
All Chris Roberts had to do was not pile on promise after promise. I really did believe he would make a good game for the first bit, but once the promises and stretch goals started to pile up it became apparent that the game he wanted to make wasn't possible, let alone feasible.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Scruffpuff posted:

Does Chris himself feel any of this? Or is he just waving his hands in every direction, 100% secure in the knowledge that his very existence automatically means failure is impossible?

I believe he is slowly starting to feel this yes. His ace card (In his head) is SQ42. Despite the horror show thats ongoing, this masterpiece will silence any dissent, prove the likes of Derek wrong and place him back on the pantheon of visionaries . He genuinely and truly believes this. If this were 1994 and it could be done then he would be right. But it isn't and he cant in my opinion

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

thatguy posted:

Sorry, I didn't know that all of the shitposters in this thread have their own smilies now.

You take that back. :pgabz: is a treasure. :colbert:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Uh oh Chris has watched Force Awakens and read some Hollywood Reporter articles about Disney and now he wants to build a franchised universe.

when Captain America Civil War comes out he'll start talking about adding spandex costumes and super soldiers.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

The article did not kick off a sea change in the journalistic space, with other people following suit and other investigations beginning, and so on. That's what I was hoping for.

I was hoping for that too and no, it didn't happen, I do think it became harder for CIG to cycle press releases through the major gaming sites so easily though and I'm happy for that.

I think the next major set of leavers may spark something, not an investigation but more questions being asked.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Quavers posted:

http://segmentnext.com/2016/04/19/star-citizen-stretch-goals-cut-for-launch/

"It is routine for MMO titles to add new content, crowdfunding projects change their vision and development goals at different stages. Unfortunately with Star Citizen, each change or hurdle in development have been poorly handled by devs and Chris Roberts himself."

"The scale of Star Citizen’s ambition has been the main problem."

:agesilaus:

"It's a huge universe."

No, Chris. It isn't.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

AP posted:

I was hoping for that too and no, it didn't happen, I do think it became harder for CIG to cycle press releases through the major gaming sites so easily though and I'm happy for that.

I think the next major set of leavers may spark something, not an investigation but more questions being asked.

I have to thank Ben for using the term "leavers" to describe ex-employees. I love how it's basically just another way to call them apostates, reinforcing the popular view that this is about cults and loyalty, rather than employees working on their job to make a game.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

Oh right, you're not in the private #smarties Discord channel, so you don't know.

I got the go-ahead. But I chose to refrain from doing it because it serves no purpose other than to "out" the wankers behind the alias and shutdown our ample supply of lols. So the plan is, like I do with MoMA, just post to the identified accounts as if they are known CIG shills/staff. Anyone who picks up on it, fine.

What this boils down to in practice is that anyone that says anything critical about you can be called out as a CIG plant and you won't bother to back up your claims in any way.
C'mon Derek... we can spot the shills a mile away, it doesn't matter if they paid to be shills or if CIG is paying them. At least if you backed your claims we could all have a laugh at the public humiliation of a CIG shill, but what's the point of throwing "CIG plant" accusations unsupported? How does emulating some of the worst aspects of the shitizen community improve the thread?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

AP posted:

The effects of that are clear already. CIG at the weekend (or Monday am) sent out a press-release with lots of high-res screenshots for publication - only two websites have run it (Guru3d & GameTransfers):

https://news.google.com/news/story?ncl=dMqb6_ZujLIx_9MsgwCQdlCSXYg-M&q=star+citizen

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
You could probably do a lot of what he promised. You would need to start with a solid structural and technical base and THEN add start layering extra poo poo on top.

I feel another space game might have gone down this route and achieved far more on a fraction of the budget? Not sure.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

What this boils down to in practice is that anyone that says anything critical about you can be called out as a CIG plant and you won't bother to back up your claims in any way.
C'mon Derek... we can spot the shills a mile away, it doesn't matter if they paid to be shills or if CIG is paying them. At least if you backed your claims we could all have a laugh at the public humiliation of a CIG shill, but what's the point of throwing "CIG plant" accusations unsupported? How does emulating some of the worst aspects of the shitizen community improve the thread?

Hi Derek! :wave:

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
So what are the bets on the first fatality when this project finally folds? Backer suicide? Devs lynched by by distraught citizens? Bens precarious health gives out in the face of seeing his idol fall from grace? I seriously can't see this thing fading away without some bloodshed given how invested so many crazy people are at this point.

KM Scorchio fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 19, 2016

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
So I was thinking about SQ42.

We know CIG doesn't have much in the way of actual game stuff, yet I feel it's likely they have quite a lot of cinematic/cutscene stuff - but I haven't been seeing much of it lately.

Have they not been showing anything? Or have I just not been paying attention?

The last time I saw any SQ42 stuff it was that Gary Oldman speech that didn't get a great reception, even from the faithful.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

ShineDog posted:

You could probably do a lot of what he promised. You would need to start with a solid structural and technical base and THEN add start layering extra poo poo on top.

I feel another space game might have gone down this route and achieved far more on a fraction of the budget? Not sure.

For a space game to successfully go down that Dangerous route, they must have an Elite development plan from the beginning. Which is of course impossible - you clearly know nothing about structural & technical base development.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

The just pissed the money away on CryEngine. It's too late now - even if they change engines they might be down to their last few millions.

It's a crying shame... I will actually feel sad when this poo poo show comes to an end for all the people that wasted money backing it, many who couldnt afford it really.

Cant understand why they stuck with CryEngine. Anyone know?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

KM Scorchio posted:

If you tell me you'll include some kind of space cat rape slider mechanic I'll mail you my first born son.

Can we please not post semen

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

ShineDog posted:

You have to start in the opposite direction, though, if your income model is based on showing high-fidelity in-game screenshots when you don't actually have a game yet. Hence where we are today. Some of the worst-playing, worst-received games in the world had pretty nice screencaps. It amazes me the cultists don't seem to have the mental acuity to know that, though, or remembering it happening before.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

EightAce posted:

people are getting ill about this

Do you mean this literally?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

KM Scorchio posted:

So what are the bets on the first fatality when this project finally folds? Backer suicide? Devs lynched by by distraught citizens? Ben's health gives out in the face of seeing his idol fall from grace? I seriously can't see this thing fading away without some bloodshed given how invested so many crazy people are at this point.

There's almost certainly going to be a backer suicide or two given the sheer amount of money and time and emotions that people have poured into this thing.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Danknificent posted:

So I was thinking about SQ42.

We know CIG doesn't have much in the way of actual game stuff, yet I feel it's likely they have quite a lot of cinematic/cutscene stuff - but I haven't been seeing much of it lately.

Have they not been showing anything? Or have I just not been paying attention?

The last time I saw any SQ42 stuff it was that Gary Oldman speech that didn't get a great reception, even from the faithful.

That would be spoilers, duh!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

For reddit users, they're not very familiar with the idea of karma, huh

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

There are enough farmer suicides already, I hope that one guy didn't lose his farm for jpegs and dreams. :smith:

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet

TTerrible posted:

This is really cool. Do you have more info?

So far I've only posted on Twitter (@minionsart) but even there people are asking for more info, so I wanna get a demo & website together as soon as I can !

Chocobo posted:

Also Reharakhti, please draw inspiration from this masterpiece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkeOpTPeAtk

This is art, I don't think I can achieve this :O

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Tortolia posted:

Can we please not post semen

:golfclap:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

turns out i do. i remembering having the one that screenshot was drawn from - the novelisation of the fourth game - but i don't know where it is. what i do have, however, is the novelisation of the third game. prepare for the epic moment where colonel christopher "mark "old man" hammill" blair takes on his best friend turned traitor hobbes

yes hobbes. yes the alien kitty cat best friend alien is called hobbes. no i'm not making this up

What absolute poo poo.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Quavers posted:

The effects of that are clear already. CIG at the weekend (or Monday am) sent out a press-release with lots of high-res screenshots for publication.
https://news.google.com/news/story?ncl=dMqb6_ZujLIx_9MsgwCQdlCSXYg-M&q=star+citizen
Nothing screams "work in progress" like CPU and RAM stats while you have godawful reflection maps and ships that can't rest all three landing legs on the ground and the pilot missing his face!

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

EightAce posted:

:eyepop:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Do you mean this literally?

Imagine having worked for years trying to get a foot hold in the game development industry, after years of dragging yourself through QA you finally manager to land yourself a job at CIG. 4 years of grinding and unapproval later, here you are, watching as the wheels start to come off the whole thing. What do you do? Quit and try your hand at the roulette wheel of getting another job in the industry when all you've got to your name is 4 years at CIG who now have an appalling reputation? Stick around to try to get something good to come out of it when it's impossible?

Working at CIG now as a mid level developer without a lot of prior experience in the industry must by absolutely horrible right now. Work place stress is a huge problem in many industries and I'm sure game dev is one of the most stressful jobs for a developer at the best of times. Imagine looking at the very real prospect that you're stuck in a black hole of technical debt with nowhere to run and tell me you couldn't see people going off work with stress...

Poor bastards, I hope you're all looking after each other at CIG because none of you deserve the mess that Chris has put you in.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

WebDog posted:

Nothing screams "work in progress" like CPU and RAM stats while you have godawful reflection maps and ships that can't rest all three landing legs on the ground and the pilot missing his face!

Are you loving kidding me? These are the real screenshots they sent out for publication? With the pilot going all assassins creed? What the hell?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

WebDog posted:

Pilots face/skull was sucked in by the huge air intake on that ship.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Dogstoyevsky posted:

Can someone with search do a quick Seraph84 post retrospective? I feel like at one point he mocked people for being poors and I really want to savor that morsel of schadenfreude.

I would be willing to give someone plat for a nice collection of Seraph posts about his opinions on poors in comparison to his recent circumstances. It has to be good. If it's poo poo, you just get a new av.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Chalks posted:

Imagine having worked for years trying to get a foot hold in the game development industry, after years of dragging yourself through QA you finally manager to land yourself a job at CIG. 4 years of grinding and unapproval later, here you are, watching as the wheels start to come off the whole thing. What do you do? Quit and try your hand at the roulette wheel of getting another job in the industry when all you've got to your name is 4 years at CIG who now have an appalling reputation? Stick around to try to get something good to come out of it when it's impossible?

Working at CIG now as a mid level developer without a lot of prior experience in the industry must by absolutely horrible right now. Work place stress is a huge problem in many industries and I'm sure game dev is one of the most stressful jobs for a developer at the best of times. Imagine looking at the very real prospect that you're stuck in a black hole of technical debt with nowhere to run and tell me you couldn't see people going off work with stress...

Poor bastards, I hope you're all looking after each other at CIG because none of you deserve the mess that Chris has put you in.

They're still better off bailing now, before any ELEs, ABCs, or LMNOPs. CIG might not look great on the resume right now, but after a crash it's going to look even worse.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

:whitewater:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

EightAce posted:

I agree it's not fraud in the traditional sense. It's an entirely new and remarkable type of fraud. The nexus of all the micro transaction stuff that started creeping into MMOs and then into console games, and the abuse of p2w strategies by things like Candy Crush. It has taken all of that and lifted it to a whole new level of madness, preying on mentally unstable fruit cakes like B'Tak. And the cruncher is - there's no loving game.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

WebDog posted:

It's pre-kickstarter

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Also, thank you for looking at Star Citizen Webdog, it's far more worthy of your attentions than Buckley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Danknificent posted:

They're still better off bailing now, before any ELEs, ABCs, or LMNOPs. CIG might not look great on the resume right now, but after a crash it's going to look even worse.

True, but leaving a job in the game dev industry is a leap into the unknown at the best of times. I can see how people are still clinging to the sinking hull for no reason other than to put off the inevitable. Unemployable today or unemployable in a year...

• Locked thread