Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why go to golden point at all, though? They should just keep playing 5 min each way until there is a winner. Wind can be a big issue, and it isn't like the players have anything to do the week after a grand final (anymore).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If it ever comes to it, the runners are going to have one hell of a time running around screaming "GOLDEN GOOOAAAALLLL"

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Diet Crack posted:

If it ever comes to it, the runners are going to have one hell of a time running around screaming "GOLDEN GOOOAAAALLLL"

Finally a use for Joffas coat

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
As opposed to the situation now when the players don't know exactly when the siren's going to go.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I mean we're talking about a situation that only comes around every 30-40 years.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
It will happen this year

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I was going to say I reserve the right to change my mind and lose my poo poo if Melbourne lose a grand final to the golden point but hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahbabahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahha Melbourne making a grand final hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahbabahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahha

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Adelaide team the last time we beat Hawthorn

ADELAIDE CROWS

B Graham Johncock, Ben Rutten, Scott Stevens
HB Nathan van Berlo, Phil Davis, Michael Doughty
C Richard Tambling, David Mackay, Ricky Henderson
HF Chris Knights, Taylor Walker, Richard Douglas
F Jason Porplyzia, Shaun McKernan, Bernie Vince
FOL Ivan Maric, Scott Thompson, Brent Reilly
I/C Rory Sloane, Andy Otten, Traitor
SUB Brodie Smith (on debut)

I think we're due

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I think Ivor Warne-Smith was best on ground last time we beat the Hawks

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think Ivor Warne-Smith was best on ground last time we beat the Hawks

Retaining full fitness after the war helped him in that regard, no doubt

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

As long as they tag Sam Mitchell

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Diet Crack posted:

As long as they tag Sam Mitchell

Actually Mitchell had 38 touches the last time we beat them, and the next best on the ground was noted ball magnet Scott Stevens with 27.

Though what I want most is for Mitchell to trip over his own feet and accidentally cork himself badly on Walker's boot, so I can listen to Hawks fans whine uncontrollably after they laughed at everyone when Mitchell's trial run of the tactic he used to wipe Fyfe out as a force for the finals forced Walker from the ground.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I'm Tex Walker's moustache

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Solemn Sloth posted:

I was going to say I reserve the right to change my mind and lose my poo poo if Melbourne lose a grand final to the golden point but hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahbabahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahha Melbourne making a grand final hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahbabahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahha

Melbourne grand finals don't come down to a point margin :|

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I kinda want the Pies to finish last so I can experience a GWS dynasty.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

Melbourne grand finals don't come down to a point margin :|

Michael Long should still be suspended to this day for his hit in the 2000 grand final.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

Michael Long should still be suspended to this day for his hit in the 2000 grand final.

Sadly I don't think that would've helped things that day

I was hoping the Dees were going to get up that day, but alas. At least the Bombers lost the next year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

Sadly I don't think that would've helped things that day

I was hoping the Dees were going to get up that day, but alas. At least the Bombers lost the next year.

I don't think anything could have helped us that day.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Solemn Sloth posted:

I don't think anything could have helped us that day.

It was a particularly wonderful day :D

5 weeks for May though, gently caress me. What does someone actually have to do to get suspended for 8+?

What are people's thoughts on carding players during games like soccer? I know it didn't make a difference as the Suns lost anyways, but obviously at the time they didn't know they would lose. Could have an impact if May had to consider the possibility that he'd spend the rest of the game on the bench, unable to help and possibly cost them the game. Would certainly put extra pressure on from within the club to not gently caress up with intentional acts on field.
But then again, he already had to consider the fact he'd be gone for weeks after it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

There's gotta be some sort of system to get an offending player off the ground for two reasons:

1. It punishes the team on the day, rather than for weeks afterwards (would still require a suspension for severe cases)
2. It gets a player who is more than likely to be targetted for revenge attacks off the ground

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Didn't Steven Baker get an 8 week suspension one time?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Also reminder that Jezza Cameron got 4 weeks for giving a Lions player a 5 week injury

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
No. Please no loving red cards. Maybe a sin bin or something but no full game removals. Can you imagine giving our umpires the power to send someone off for the rest of the game? Please

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

snaeksikn posted:

Also reminder that Jezza Cameron got 4 weeks for giving a Lions player a 5 week injury

Is it your position that an offender's punishment should always be equal to the duration of the injury caused by the offence?

And, follow up question, if someone lays a legal bump on another player but that other player unfortunately ends up with an injury, should the player who laid the legal bump be penalised?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

realbez posted:

No. Please no loving red cards. Maybe a sin bin or something but no full game removals. Can you imagine giving our umpires the power to send someone off for the rest of the game? Please

*Razor Ray holding red card up like Nazi, with a raging hard-on*

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

snaeksikn posted:

Didn't Steven Baker get an 8 week suspension one time?

It was twelve down to nine and it was the biggest load of poo poo ever.

Edit: For context, Greg Williams got nine for strangling an umpire.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Spedman posted:

Boomer will find a way to make this happen to his direct opponent.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Chairchucker posted:

Is it your position that an offender's punishment should always be equal to the duration of the injury caused by the offence?

And, follow up question, if someone lays a legal bump on another player but that other player unfortunately ends up with an injury, should the player who laid the legal bump be penalised?

Yeah, Jordan Lewis was saying on 360 that he thought it was good that in these two cases the outcome didn't decide the punishment, rather the action did. If it was outcome based like it has been in the passed Cameron might have got his 4 but May would have got one because Clarke is passing his concussion tests.

spamman posted:

Baker was hung out to dry by media hysterics and the tribunal bought right in.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

spamman posted:

Barry Hall got 6 for punching Staker

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

then broke his wrist later in the match and was injured for... 6 weeks regardless

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

spamman posted:

wasnt that the one where he nailed supposedly someone off play and there was no footage or proof of what happened anywhere?

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

no, but its an interesting case for jeremy cameron, he went outside of the rules and will miss less footy than the person he hit

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Spedman posted:

http://i.imgur.com/XEpfJcm.webm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATkxa5XSD18

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

realbez posted:

That is the downside, it would have to be ridiculously black and white cases like Barry Hall punching a man's face, Boomer or Lake strangling someone ... I'd say Hodge's goal post antics and May's weekend bump but then, yeah, you have a tribunal that don't even seem to think either of those are too bad.

Where it would cause trouble is definitely stuff like the Vickery thing last weekend where he was pushed in the face and then flung his head back a second later making it appear much worse. Sending whoever it was that pushed him off would be insane. But at the same time, its crazy that poo poo like the May thing can happen and he's still free to carry on playing out the rest of the game, so who knows.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

snaeksikn posted:

wasnt that the one where he nailed supposedly someone off play and there was no footage or proof of what happened anywhere?

Nah, that was when he smashed someone (Farmer maybe?) in the face behind play and he got 7 for it. He got the 12 down to nine when he punched Steve Johnson four seperate times in the head in one match. If I remember correctly the reason he got poo poo on in the first was huge carry over points and in the second because he sucker punched Steve Johnson while he was lying injured on the deck one of those four times. It was somnething wierd like he copped three weeks for the first three striking charges and 9 weeks for punching an injured player and they suspened the three weeks... Or something, pled the three striking and was referred directly for misconduct to an injured player?

I might be wrong, that was years ago.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 19, 2016

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

snaeksikn posted:

That was Jeff Farmer and the 7 match ban was also a complete stitch up.

But nah, it was for striking Stevie J. a few times and hitting his broken hand, plus some demerit point BS that added some more matches.

Basically Stevie Baker is the modern embodiment of this song

E;fb

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

monolithburger posted:

That was Jeff Farmer and the 7 match ban was also a complete stitch up.

But nah, it was for striking Stevie J. a few times and hitting his broken hand, plus some demerit point BS that added some more matches.

Basically Stevie Baker is the modern embodiment of this song

E;fb

Nah, you right!!!! The misconduct poo poo was because he punched at his head and hit the broken hand he was protecting himself with.

Bit of a stich up.

e: Didn't Farmer get like three weeks when he got the 7 too? Bit of a mutual thing.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 19, 2016

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Ironically the 'interfering with an injured player' charge was brought in as a result of the Nick Riewoldt incident up in Brisbane all those years ago.

I really wish we'd stop being responsible for rule changes (GF replay, score reviews etc)

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
:siren: Explosion at Dane Swan's meth lab. :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Spacman posted:

He got the 12 down to nine when he punched Steve Johnson four seperate times in the head in one match. If I remember correctly the reason he got poo poo on in the first was huge carry over points and in the second because he sucker punched Steve Johnson while he was lying injured on the deck one of those four times. It was somnething wierd like he copped three weeks for the first three striking charges and 9 weeks for punching an injured player

I get that it's against Stevie J but even still...how is this not assault? Why don't dickholes get charged instead of jobs on Fox Footy.

• Locked thread