Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The French choose to pass!

The French gain 2 resources; now 5.

The turn ends, and a new card is drawn.

Current Card:

In October of 1776, one month after being named an agent of a diplomatic commission by the Continental Congress, Benjamin Franklin set sail from Philadelphia for France. His task was to negotiate and secure a formal alliance and treaty.

Upcoming Card:

As George Washington surveyed his desperate situation at a camp above Trenton Falls on December 20, 1776 he pondered a response to the British invasion of New York and New Jersey. He lamented his position to the Continental Congress including the line: "But my feelings as an Officer and a Man, have been such as to force me to say that no person ever had a greater choice of difficulties to contend with than I have; it is needless to add that short Inlistments (sic), and a mistaken dependence (sic) upon Militia, have been the Origin of all our Misfortunes and the great accumulation of our Debt."

==> ACTION QUEUE:

French choose:
  • Command Only, no Special Activity
  • Command and Special Activity
  • Event
  • Pass

I assume France wants to take the event, so I'll execute that soon unless I hear otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
BATTEN DOWN THE MOMS OF FRANCE, FRANKLIN BE COMIN'

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

They love it.

French gain 3 resources; now 8.
Patriots gain 2 resources; now 7.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Me: Take the British turn.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The British Muster their forces!

Six British Regulars muster in New York Colony!
New York Colony is now Controlled by the British!
Two Tories muster in New York Colony!
Two Tories muster in Philadelphia!
Two Tories muster in Norfolk!
Two Tories muster in Charles Town!

British spend 4 resources; now 4.

British Reward Loyalty in Philadelphia.
Philadelphia is now at Active Support!
British spend 2 resources; now 2.

The British Skirmish in New York City!
The Active Militia there is returned to Available Forces!

Current Card:

As George Washington surveyed his desperate situation at a camp above Trenton Falls on December 20, 1776 he pondered a response to the British invasion of New York and New Jersey. He lamented his position to the Continental Congress including the line: "But my feelings as an Officer and a Man, have been such as to force me to say that no person ever had a greater choice of difficulties to contend with than I have; it is needless to add that short Inlistments (sic), and a mistaken dependence (sic) upon Militia, have been the Origin of all our Misfortunes and the great accumulation of our Debt."

Upcoming Card:

The largest American naval expedition of the war, a flotilla of 19 warships mounted by the Provincial Congress of the Province of Massachusetts Bay sailed from Boston in July of 1779 for the upper Penobscot Bay in the District of Maine (then a part of Massachusetts colony). The flotilla also included a ground force of more than 1,000 colonial troops as well as a 100-man artillery detachment under the command of Lt. Colonel Paul Revere. The goal was to reclaim control of what is now mid-coast Maine from the British who had seized it a month earlier, renaming it New Ireland. The Patriots paid a heavy price in the fighting over three weeks in July and August of 1779.

As the British were reinforced, the Patriot fleet was destroyed as it fled up the Penobscot River. It was one of Britain's greatest victories of the war. The Expedition was also the United States’ worst naval defeat until Pearl Harbor 162 years later in 1941.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Patriots choose:
  • Command Only, No Special Activity
  • Event
  • Pass

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Holy crap, New York is a shitshow now.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Just wondering, will Baron Von Steuben pop up as a card at any point?

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
The good event on the next card is really juicy, and the bad event on the next card is really really anti-juicy, so I think we should pass this round.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Caedar posted:

The good event on the next card is really juicy, and the bad event on the next card is really really anti-juicy, so I think we should pass this round.

They have a point. If we took this event, the British could undo almost all of it with the next event. I vote pass.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Davin Valkri posted:

They have a point. If we took this event, the British could undo almost all of it with the next event. I vote pass.

This exactly. We need to block those dirty brits.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The Patriots pass!
The Patriots gain 1 resource; now 8.

The Indians choose to Raid!

An Onondaga War Party in Northwest conducts a Raid in Maryland-Delaware!
The War Party is flipped to Active.
A Raid Marker is placed in Maryland-Delaware.
Maryland-Delaware moves to Passive Opposition!
Maryland-Delaware is now Uncontrolled!

The Indians spend 1 resource; now 0.

The Indians attempt to Trade with the British.
The British politely decline the Indian request.
A War Party in Northwest is flipped to Active.
The Indians gain 1 resource; now 1.

The Seminole War Party in Virginia conducts a Raid there!
The War Party is flipped to Active.
A Raid Marker is placed in Virginia.
Virginia moves to Passive Opposition!
Virginia is now Uncontrolled!

The Indians spend 1 resource; now 0.

Total Opposition drops by 4; now 6.

The turn ends; a new card is drawn.

Current Card:

The largest American naval expedition of the war, a flotilla of 19 warships mounted by the Provincial Congress of the Province of Massachusetts Bay sailed from Boston in July of 1779 for the upper Penobscot Bay in the District of Maine (then a part of Massachusetts colony). The flotilla also included a ground force of more than 1,000 colonial troops as well as a 100-man artillery detachment under the command of Lt. Colonel Paul Revere. The goal was to reclaim control of what is now mid-coast Maine from the British who had seized it a month earlier, renaming it New Ireland. The Patriots paid a heavy price in the fighting over three weeks in July and August of 1779.

As the British were reinforced, the Patriot fleet was destroyed as it fled up the Penobscot River. It was one of Britain's greatest victories of the war. The Expedition was also the United States’ worst naval defeat until Pearl Harbor 162 years later in 1941.

Upcoming Card:

In 1775, Richard Henderson and Daniel Boone negotiated the Treaty of Sycamore Shoals, in which Henderson’s Transylvania Company purchased a large part of modern Kentucky and part of Tennessee from the Cherokee. As the war progressed, this acquisition became a target of the Cherokees who aligned themselves with the British.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Patriots choose:
  • Command Only, No Special Activity
  • Event
  • Pass

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Event!

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Just watching from the gallery, but I never knew about the Penobscot Expedition until I started following this game. Now I'm reading up on it and it's really neat. Thanks game.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Just watching from the gallery, but I never knew about the Penobscot Expedition until I started following this game. Now I'm reading up on it and it's really neat. Thanks game.

Yeah, it was a real mess. Revere got courtmartialled for cowardice. Good thing they had an interest in sweeping things under the rug, or that's what he'd be known for.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Thirding the event!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Yes, Event.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Patriots take the event!

The Penobscot Expedition arrives in Massachusetts!
1 Fort and 3 Militia arrive in Massachusetts!

Patriot play ends, and the British are up.

The British choose to Battle in New York Colony!

Force Level Calculations:

Attacker (Royalists):
6 Regulars + 4 Tories = 10 = 3d3

Defender (Rebellion):
1 Continental + 1 Fort + (1/2) * (Activated Militia?) = 2 or 3 (0d3 or 1d3)

Loss Level Calculations:

Defender Loss Level (Rebellion):
+1 for At Least Half Attacking Pieces Regulars
+1 for At Least One Attacking Side Piece Underground
-1 for At Least One Defending Fort
-1 for Patriots Defending with Washington
Total = 0

Attacker Loss Level (Royalists):
+1 or +0 for At Least One Defending Piece Underground
+1 for At Least One Defending Leader
+1 for At Least One Defending Fort
Total = +2 or +3, depending on Patriot Activation of Militia

Patriots Must Choose:

Activate how many Militia?
  • If 0 Militia activate, then Patriots roll no dice to inflict losses, and get a +3 to losses inflicted
  • If 1 Militia activate, then Patriots roll no dice to inflict losses, and get a +3 to losses inflicted
  • If 2 Militia activate, then Patriots roll 1d3 to inflict losses, and get a +2 to losses inflicted
Note: Each activated Militia can possibly be killed by British attacks, while Underground Militia may not be targeted.

Battles are pretty complicated to do via forum, but I hope I made this clear.

Athaboros fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 19, 2016

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
I'm cool with leaving the militia underground. We'll kill a Regular and Tory, so we'll match one-for-one on kills (note: militia don't count against us if killed). And having two militia sitting there, just waiting to activate and mess their day up with skirmish and rabble rousing, will be great.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

E: never mind, I think I get it. I guess that fort was lost anyway, so...

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
If the militia are active we could absorb 4 hits before losing the fort. But the odds of 3d3 being 4 or lower are 15% so we should probably keep those militia hidden and sacrifice the fort.

Just a temporary setback, we can rebuild that MA army and expel the British from NY later.

And I think that makes us Win the Day since our losses would be equal?
Or we might be wiped out and then the bad guys would win the day

Herewaard fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 19, 2016

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Majumbo posted:

If the militia are active we could absorb 4 hits before losing the fort. But the odds of 3d3 being 4 or lower are 15% so we should probably keep those militia hidden and sacrifice the fort.

Just a temporary setback, we can rebuild that MA army and expel the British from NY later.

And I think that makes us Win the Day since our losses would be equal?
Or we might be wiped out and then the bad guys would win the day

We're going to lose the day, but we'd almost 100% lose the day if we raised the militia anyway. Our max Attacker Loss Level is +5, so two Regulars and one Tory, and their Minimum Loss Level is +3, which means the Continental and a Militia, but +4 gives them a tie, and +5 and higher gives them a win.

Caedar fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 19, 2016

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

As an experienced COIN player, I do not care for this battle system. Really puts like two layers of computation between the player and the board state.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Lord Frisk posted:

As an experienced COIN player, I do not care for this battle system. Really puts like two layers of computation between the player and the board state.

It's a little annoying at first, but after several play-throughs you can eyeball it pretty easily, at least by assuming that every three cubes = ~2 hits.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I apologize, but I'm dropping out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I agree with leaving them underground.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Patriot Militia remains underground.

The British roll 3d3 + 0 = 3,1,2 + 0 = 6!
The Patriots must take 6 Losses.

The Patriots roll 0d3 + 3 = 3!
The British must take 3 Losses.

The British lose 1 Regular and 1 Tory in New York Colony as casualties.
Cumulative British Casualties increase to 2.

The Patriots lose 1 Continental and 1 Fort as casualties, as all Militia are Underground.
Cumulative Rebellion Casualties increase to 2.

Since all Patriot pieces that participated are eliminated, and a Patriot Fort is destroyed, the British Win the Day!
British get to shift New York Colony 1 space towards Support.
New York Colony is now at Active Support! (Total Support now 11.)

The British have spent 1 resource to Battle; now 1.

For their Special Activity, British choose to apply Naval Pressure.
British roll 1d3 = 1 to gain 1 resource; now 2.

Current Card:

In 1775, Richard Henderson and Daniel Boone negotiated the Treaty of Sycamore Shoals, in which Henderson’s Transylvania Company purchased a large part of modern Kentucky and part of Tennessee from the Cherokee. As the war progressed, this acquisition became a target of the Cherokees who aligned themselves with the British.

Upcoming Card:

Edward Bancroft worked as a spy for Benjamin Franklin in Britain before the Revolution, and while serving in Paris. He was also a spy for Britain, reporting on activity between France and the United States.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Me: Take the Indian turn.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

This is gonna be rough for the revolution. Merde.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

JcDent posted:

I apologize, but I'm dropping out.

No worries! I'm glad you got to participate for the time you did.

Also, if any of you in the peanut gallery want to jump in, you're welcome to at any time, and on either side!

On to the Indian turn:

An easy decision; the Indians take the Event.
The Indians build a second village in Northwest.

Play passes to the French.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

French choose:
  • Command, may add Special Activity
  • Pass

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Brumisateurs, I recommend we push for French Agent Mobilization, placing 1 continental in the province of Quebec, then we prepare for war (Preparer la Guerre) by making three more french troops available.

e: first i suggested NY, but it can't be at active support.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 19, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

Brumisateurs, I recommend we push for French Agent Mobilization, placing 1 continental in the province of Quebec, then we prepare for war (Preparer la Guerre) by making three more french troops available.

e: first i suggested NY, but it can't be at active support.

Seconded, mes ami. We need to show those damnably nuisiant brits the sharp end of the stick for once!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Why Quebec? Wouldn't that be readily skirmished off the board by the war party there?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Davin Valkri posted:

Why Quebec? Wouldn't that be readily skirmished off the board by the war party there?

Perhaps it would, but the only other options are Massachusetts, which doesn't need the help, and New Hampshire, which also doesn't need the help. Doesn't a cube mean they would take losses if they battled, or at least gently caress with them somewhat?

Basically, it's Quebec or New Hampshire. I went with French pride.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Lord Frisk posted:

Doesn't a cube mean they would take losses if they battled, or at least gently caress with them somewhat?

Brits have Skirmish and Indians have War Path, which both allow pieces to be picked off without initiating a full battle, as long as Regulars or War Parties are in the space, respectively. This works basically just like French Skirmish or Patriot Partisans or Skirmish.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Since there are no regulars available though, it does render the Tories useless for the time being. Since the patriots have an command+sa coming up, some good could be done with that single troop.

E: upon re-reading, it sounds like Tories still count when defending, with or without a Regular, which is a damned shame. I change my vote to place the Continental in New Hampshire

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 19, 2016

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

It seems like the French are mostly in agreement, so I'll execute.

The French mobilize agents in New Hampshire; a Continental is placed there!
The French use Préparer la Guerre to move 3 Regulars from Unavailable to Available!
French Prep increases by 3; now 11!

Current Card:

Edward Bancroft worked as a spy for Benjamin Franklin in Britain before the Revolution, and while serving in Paris. He was also a spy for Britain, reporting on activity between France and the United States.

Upcoming Card:

"We desire you will hear and receive what we have now told you, and that you will open a good ear and listen to what we are now going to say. This is a family quarrel between us and Old England. You Indians are not concerned in it. We don’t wish you to take up the hatchet against the king’s troops. We desire you to remain at home, and not join on either side, but keep the hatchet buried deep."
—The Second Continental Congress, Speech to the Six Nations, July 13, 1775

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Me: Take the British turn

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The British choose to take the event, using their agent Edward Bancroft to learn the location of several Patriot militia.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Patriots must choose 4 Militia to Activate, and then:
  • Command, may add Special Activity
  • Pass

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I say Virginia, New Hampshire, Mass, Mass

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

I like this. What are you going to do about THAT, Gage?!

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

COOL CORN posted:

Thirded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Militia in Virginia, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts (x2) are activated!

Patriots may now choose Command + Special Activity, or Pass.

• Locked thread