Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

codo27 posted:

What do you guys recommend as a local music player? I never stream. My Moto came with Google play music and I don't like how tedious creating playlists are. Should I try Poweramp or one of the others from the OP?

Poweramp is what I use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

poxin posted:

I like either Poweramp, Rocket Player, or you can just use Google Play Music without doing any cloud stuff - there's an option for local only.

I have that option enabled, but I dont like the interface and as I said, creating playlists is tedious, I cant seem to find any way to multi select meaning I have to long press on each song and then add. I'm gonna try poweramp
edit: oops. Is there no free version? 6 years I ain't pay for an app yet, no intention to start now.
another edit: found Blackplayer on the store, it has built in tag editing so thats gold. Gonna try that

codo27 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 17, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

I have that option enabled, but I dont like the interface and as I said, creating playlists is tedious, I cant seem to find any way to multi select meaning I have to long press on each song and then add

Obviously you could simply create playlists using the web interface.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a decent PC suite app that's not overly expensive, or better, free? I saw one that was $40USD and claims to be a complete management suite - but it's too pricey. I've been using Nokia PC suite for literally a decade, and I would like to find something that matches its behaviour for android. Ie. send/backup/store SMS, and manage calendars.

I suppose really it's just a matter of copying SMS back to the PC after all's said and done, because I can do most of the other things with inbuilt utils. Pushbullet has a monthly subscription - they can shove that. Anything that copies my communication to big brother's servers is a dealbreaker.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Sounds like you want Join and SMS Backup And Restore unless I'm misunderstanding you. Never used the particular software you're referencing so can't be certain.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is anyone else getting trending searches when they click on the search bar? Its obnoxious.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/websearch/FfSE0mP1qyo/FLTkmYRwBAAJ

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FogHelmut posted:

Is anyone else getting trending searches when they click on the search bar? Its obnoxious.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/websearch/FfSE0mP1qyo/FLTkmYRwBAAJ

I am. I rarely use the search bar, so it doesn't both me too much. It already autocompletes my searches as I type them, so it's like the autocomplete bar is full before I start typing.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I definitely was, and it didn't really bother me aside from the one time my mrs thought I'd been searching for 'Kim kardashian Instagram nudes' when she saw it trending

but its not there anymore apparently, I did have a search update yesterday

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Squish posted:

Is there a decent PC suite app that's not overly expensive, or better, free? I saw one that was $40USD and claims to be a complete management suite - but it's too pricey. I've been using Nokia PC suite for literally a decade, and I would like to find something that matches its behaviour for android. Ie. send/backup/store SMS, and manage calendars.

I suppose really it's just a matter of copying SMS back to the PC after all's said and done, because I can do most of the other things with inbuilt utils. Pushbullet has a monthly subscription - they can shove that. Anything that copies my communication to big brother's servers is a dealbreaker.

What you want is Join for SMS and notification mirroring and SMS Backup+. The latter will automatically move all your SMSs to GMail under a label so they're completely threaded and searchable with no user intervention at all.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I was about to suggest smsbackup+ myself, but big brother blah blah deal breaker apparently

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

I was about to suggest smsbackup+ myself, but big brother blah blah deal breaker apparently

Oh didn't get that far down in the message but I'm assuming the guy knows that not only are all of his SMSs archived by the carrier but they're turned over without a warrant to the authorities so he's just being stupid.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Podcasts in Google Play Music is going live. It's already up on the web side, and it's rolling out on the app side (to US and Canada). https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2016/04/welcome-to-google-play-music-podcast.html

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Require More Fire posted:

Podcasts in Google Play Music is going live. It's already up on the web side, and it's rolling out on the app side (to US and Canada). https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2016/04/welcome-to-google-play-music-podcast.html

Hmm, I wonder if it will properly handle resuming a track if you play a song or something. I've tried to use Music for audiobook files, but it kinda sucks because you have to keep track of where you are in the chapter if you want to play something else before you're done.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I skipped to the half way point in a podcast and hit reload and when I got back it seemed to remember where I was so it seems like it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Atomicated posted:

I skipped to the half way point in a podcast and hit reload and when I got back it seemed to remember where I was so it seems like it.

My concern was if you listened to half a podcast episode, then wanted to listen to music for a bit, then went back to the podcast. Would it start the podcast over or would it remember where you were? Seeing that podcasts are broken into their own section makes me think it won't be an issue though. But, this being a day 1 Google release, I wouldn't be surprised either way...

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Atomicated posted:

I would hope it has that feature. Probably not enough to get me off Pocket Casts since I see no way to add premium podcasts to this list. Would play nicer with my car though...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

fishmech posted:

I don't know, you tell me:

Yikes.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

codo27 posted:

edit: oops. Is there no free version? 6 years I ain't pay for an app yet, no intention to start now.

:rolleyes:

You need to download Google Rewards.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I have no idea why Android has the reputation of being the platform of choice for the impoverished.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Cool let's have this discussion again like there's an good argument to be made for not paying someone for their work that you use and enjoy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Geektox posted:

Cool let's have this discussion again like there's an good argument to be made for not paying someone for their work that you use and enjoy.

Exactly the reason it should be called out. If you're too cheap to pay a buck or two for something you use every day, you're a lovely person who deserves to be publicly shamed. Particularly when you factor in the fact that it's trivial to have virtually unlimited funds for such things.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Google Rewards isn't available in my country :(

I have a job though, so I can afford to pay 4$ for an app.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Geektox posted:

Calling out people for being stupid about paying for apps is more worthwhile than arguing about Touchwiz.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I've been thinking about getting onto the digital music bandwagon that I've pretty much never touched to date, so this may be a dumb question.

Does any music management service type app give you the ability to add music from your existing CD collection without having to rip the tracks from your CD? I realise this might be kinda niche, but I have a lot of CDs and if I can just plop them into my PC one by one and have the service say "yup, I can see you own that CD, so I'll add it to this list on your digital collection and now you can access those songs in our archives from your Android" it would be handy to not have to jump through the hoops of moving a zillion mp3 files between CD/HDD/phone and dealing with continually maxing out my phone storage in the process.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 19, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently tried using the Gmail app for my school's non-Gmail email (again), and it seems to be loving up deleting emails and/or marking them as read. Has anyone else seen this problem? To elaborate, I can delete or read several emails on my phone, but when I open up my email client on my computer, those emails are still there or unread, even after refreshing the client.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a non-root required way to keep notifications for specific apps disabled? Updating the apps seems to always re-enable notifications. For example, I disabled notifications for the imgur app, but every time I update it, it re-enables them, and I forget about turning them off until the next time I get one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Helicon One posted:

Does any music management service type app give you the ability to add music from your existing CD collection without having to rip the tracks from your CD?

I think there was one service in the early 00's that did that, but got shut down quick. It'd be a licensing nightmare.

You don't really need to move files to your phone, though. Don't know what service you plan on using, but Google Play Music and Amazon Music support automatically uploading your library to the cloud and you can download only what you want onto your phone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Is there a non-root required way to keep notifications for specific apps disabled? Updating the apps seems to always re-enable notifications. For example, I disabled notifications for the imgur app, but every time I update it, it re-enables them, and I forget about turning them off until the next time I get one.

Are you turning them off in the app or at the system level?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Uthor posted:

Are you turning them off in the app or at the system level?

I long press the app, and turn them off there, so I guess that's system level.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

I long press the app, and turn them off there, so I guess that's system level.

Try turning them off in app itself?

I just realized that I have never gotten a notification from imgur, though I hardly ever use it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Uthor posted:

Try turning them off in app itself?

I just realized that I have never gotten a notification from imgur, though I hardly ever use it.

I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Kheldarn posted:

What version of Android are you on? That seems like a bug or something.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mogomra posted:

What version of Android are you on? That seems like a bug or something.

KitKat 4.4.2

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Uthor posted:

I think there was one service in the early 00's that did that, but got shut down quick. It'd be a licensing nightmare.

You don't really need to move files to your phone, though. Don't know what service you plan on using, but Google Play Music and Amazon Music support automatically uploading your library to the cloud and you can download only what you want onto your phone.

I thought there might be legal tripwires with trying to implement something like what I was hoping for.

Ripping everything to my PC once and then being able to throw it into cloud storage might be an acceptable compromise. I'm guessing (hoping) that doesn't limit me only to files that are also available on that service, and I can use it for basically any audio file I upload?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Helicon One posted:

I thought there might be legal tripwires with trying to implement something like what I was hoping for.

Ripping everything to my PC once and then being able to throw it into cloud storage might be an acceptable compromise. I'm guessing (hoping) that doesn't limit me only to files that are also available on that service, and I can use it for basically any audio file I upload?

Is there a reason you want to pay a fee to have the music you own on disc uploaded rather than just paying a fee to listen to any song you want? I'd just get a Spotify/play music subscription and call it a day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Helicon One posted:

I can use it for basically any audio file I upload?

Yup! There are limits on number of files (50,000 for Google Play). I looked now and Amazon Music is much more limited than I remember, though you get much higher limits if you have Prime.

uPen posted:

Is there a reason you want to pay a fee to have the music you own on disc uploaded rather than just paying a fee to listen to any song you want? I'd just get a Spotify/play music subscription and call it a day.

One time cost versus a monthly fee for life to get the same thing. Hmm, let me think.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Helicon One posted:

Google Play Music is what you want. You can rip all your own music and stream it from the cloud for free, or you can pay $10 a month and listen to virtually every song ever.

The other thing is that some CDs bought from Amazon will give you the digital album for free, through the Amazon music service. Though I don't know of anyone who uses Amazon music.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Helicon One posted:

I'm less familiar with Amazon's service, but Google Play Music will let you upload your own audio (up to something absurd like 50,000 tracks) to their cloud for free (without subscribing), yeah. It's not dependent on it being already in their library.

If you do subscribe, you would gain streaming access (including the ability to pin stuff to your phone for offline listening) to their whole library, which would save you the trouble of uploading your own music in a lot of cases, though I'm not aware of a way of automating the process of adding all the CDs you already own to your music library.

I'm kind of a hard sell on monthly subscriptions, but I can't think of an entertainment purchase I've gotten more use of in the last couple of years than my Google Play subscription. Maybe Netflix. MAYBE.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

https://play.google.com/music/listen?authuser

quote:

Store up to 50,000 of your iTunes® songs
Google Play uses iTunes? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

The other thing is that some CDs bought from Amazon will give you the digital album for free, through the Amazon music service. Though I don't know of anyone who uses Amazon music.

I mostly buy mp3s from Amazon, download them to my PC, and uploaded them to Google Play Music. Sometimes I buy the album at work and listen to it once on Amazon Music before I get home and go through my process. :| But, I've bought too many CDs for other people that I would never listen to myself, so my Amazon Music library is a huge mess that I wouldn't want to get into to use regularly.

I have a friend who uses it for streaming and seems fairly happy with it.