Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

EDIT Some E3 stuff happened! Details below. Pictures below are a mix of real pics, and fun things I found online.

What we know:

Nintendo

They have something codenamed NX coming out, which supposed to be a new type of thing. It seems likely whatever this is will somehow combine handheld (where Nintendo is still dominant) and console gaming, possibly via a docking system or some form of cross-compatibility, but other than a patent showing a crude controller with two sticks, two shoulder buttons, and whose entire faceplate is a touch screen, little is known at this time. Some information suggests that the SDK for it is designed to easily port Wii U games to it.

Here’s one of many pictures from the patent filing

The pentagons are physical analog sticks, and the shoulder buttons are actual buttons, while everything else (e.g. the bomb and sword etc. buttons) are touch screen stuff. Note the shape isn’t a set thing, patents tend to be suggestive in a general sense, so the final product will likely be more ergonomically friendly if this is indeed what the NX is going to be like.

Microsoft

Microsoft have expanded the Xbox brand to encompass PC’s running Windows 10 as well, and it appears that all future "exclusive" titles will be on both Xbox One and Windows 10, with cross-buy and cross-play for digital copies. They also announced an Xbox One S, a smaller form factor Xbox One with an internal power supply finally, and 4K capabilities including HDR and UHD Blu-ray support. With prices starting at $299US (500 gig model), this looks to be the cheapest UHD Blu-ray player on the market. Some future games will support the HDR color range, although should otherwise run more or less the same as on the original Xbox One SKU. It still has an HDMI In port, although the Kinect port is gone; a USB adapter will be made available for those who must wave at things, and even provided for free if you already own a current Xbox One and Kinect (you will need to provide S/N for both of these plus the Xbox One S to be shipped a free adapter). USB adapter for Kinect aside, it is fully compatible with all games and accessories for the Xbox One the third the first.

That said, Microsoft made a bizarre move by going full Osborne effect and obsoleting their just-announced Xbox One S by announcing "Project Scorpio", their current name for a planned holiday 2017 console with 6 teraflops of power and 4K gaming capability. Now given that current PC video cards are already well beyond 6 teraflops and incapable of running titles at 4K60, many are skeptical of the claims. That said, this, too, is meant to support all Xbox One games and accessories; Microsoft's current vision is "gaming without boundaries" so you can play their games on anything you want as long as it's not a Windows 8.1 PC or older, Mac, Linux, Android, Sony, Nintendo, Google, iOS or Windows Phone device.

Sony

Although not at E3, Sony have confirmed they are planning to release an upgraded PS4, variously referred to online as PS4.5, PS4K, or Neo (its codename with Sony) or some combination thereof. They haven't confirmed much else, but various independent sources have confirmed some key details; if they bear fruit this is how that’ll look:

- Designed for (although doesn’t explicitly require) 4K, with an Ultra HD Blu-ray playback capability being likely, as well as the usual 4K streaming capabilities (e.g. Netflix 4K).
- Games will be required to work on both the vanilla PS4 (PS4.0) and the new SKU. No “Neo-only” games will be allowed, and content won’t be allowed to be gated (e.g. playing on a Neo unlocks a new Rocket League car-type stuff). Also, multiplayer will function from both platforms on the same servers, no “Neo only” servers allowed.
- All games releasing October onwards will have profiles for both platforms, so Neo versions will run better in some capacity, such as more stable framerates, higher resolution etc. (although another rumor pegs the new PS4’s release as Q1-2017 at the earliest)
- Games can run at 4K, but given that even PC’s with >$1000 in graphics cards alone struggle to accomplish this it seems more likely that lower resolutions will be more common, such as stable 1080p, 1440p etc., although possibly some 2D games will use 4K.
- It’s assumed, although not confirmed, that this is also a big push to improve PSVR (which needs to guarantee a stable 60fps or higher framerate) although whether or not this’ll translate to things such as not needing quite the same level of convoluted wiring remains to be seen.
Likely $399US price point. Given its release window, look at PSVR’s base price in your region for what it would likely cost in your territory.

Here is a specs comparison

This pegs it at below Microsoft's Scorpio specs, although they could be releasing up to a year earlier and already have a 40 million user install base so Microsoft has their work cut out for them even if they have the more powerful box this time around.

Still unknown is what sorts of trade-in deals game stores will do for upgrades; this probably won't happen until release dates are more settled and pre-orders open up.

Post your speculations, news, anger about how you’re totally going PC now, and deals on 4K TV’s here in this thread. Or in the relocated sharktank thread here, whatever, it’s all good.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
They Called the Fifth Playstation The Xbox One

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Gamefaqs user board lied when they said I only had to upgrade my console every 5 years.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Almost feel bad for the Wii U gamepad. Bad cuz bad

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Gamefaqs user board lied when they said I only had to upgrade my console every 5 years.

Sounds like last gen spoiled you with it's 8 year span.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Revisions every three years IMO technology moves fast and eight year cycles only lead to stagnant development trends, even outside of graphics.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Tenzarin posted:

My last PC went 6 1/2 years before I had to upgrade it. Granted, I went moderately high end when I built it, but it did last.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

The Walrus posted:

Revisions every three years IMO technology moves fast and eight year cycles only lead to stagnant development trends, even outside of graphics.

The question on my mind: is the PC platform part of the pressure to release new hardware?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

My last PC went 6 1/2 years before I had to upgrade it. Granted, I went moderately high end when I built it, but it did last.

PC requirements were stagnant for a good while specifically because everything was designed to run on the 360 and PS3. Pretty much overnight in late 2013 once the PS4 and Xbone were released, a lot of PC games suddenly went "you need a 64-bit OS, 8 gigs of RAM and a fairly new graphics card"

Finster Dexter posted:

The question on my mind: is the PC platform part of the pressure to release new hardware?

I think if anything it's mobile. Their hardware jumps are alarmingly fast.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Actually I am excited about PS4.5 but my gaming priorities for now are:

- new gaming pc
- nintendo nx
- annoying everyone in games with my terriposting

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm just gonna wait for the PS 4.75 to come out next year.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Also I don't think Microsoft will recover and re-enter the console gaming market with a splash and a decent offering, otherwise jumping from ps4 to xbone.5 (and skipping ps4.5) could have been a good strategy.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Tenzarin posted:

I'm just gonna wait for the PS 4.75 to come out next year.

Did pooptaku say anything about dates?
I'd be surprised if it wasn't something coming out this year, together with PSVR.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I'll get a PS4 slim when I move to japang.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

limaCAT posted:

Did pooptaku say anything about dates?
I'd be surprised if it wasn't something coming out this year, together with PSVR.

One verified person said Q1-2017, but since they're supposedly pushing for games to start having profiles for it in October maybe they're aiming for something sooner. I kind of think E3 might be a bit late for an announcement with that sort of time frame, though.

EDIT oh yeah, this is probably a harsher burn for Japan and other territories which got the PS4 later. PS4's barely been out 2 years in Japan.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
DOn't forget the :pcgaming: rumor that the Nvidia's new chipset will be stronger, cheaper and turn lead into gold!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

xbox

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

:hf:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

One verified person said Q1-2017, but since they're supposedly pushing for games to start having profiles for it in October maybe they're aiming for something sooner. I kind of think E3 might be a bit late for an announcement with that sort of time frame, though.

EDIT oh yeah, this is probably a harsher burn for Japan and other territories which got the PS4 later. PS4's barely been out 2 years in Japan.

The japanese will pay 100 dollars for designer pieces of fruit so they probably wont mind

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

The japanese will pay 100 dollars for designer pieces of fruit so they probably wont mind

100 dollars is low end for fruit in Japan. Auctions for the last fruit of a year's harvest can go for several times that.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Mordja posted:

DOn't forget the :pcgaming: rumor that the Nvidia's new chipset will be stronger, cheaper and turn lead into gold!

yeah but we're probably not getting any consumer pascal gpu's until next year. nvidia's been saying that they're focused on supercomputing with pascal this year.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

They will call the fifth Playstation the New Playstation 4.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Instant Sunrise posted:

yeah but we're probably not getting any consumer pascal gpu's until next year. nvidia's been saying that they're focused on supercomputing with pascal this year.

What, really? But I need to upgrade but I also want to wait until Pascal before I do.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Mordja posted:

What, really? But I need to upgrade but I also want to wait until Pascal before I do.

The last that I had heard was that nvidia basically said that the new Tesla cards would consume their production of Pascal GPUs till Q1 2017.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this though.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
They named the fifth Playstation Playstation neONEo

Any word on the RAM?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Sony not giving a gently caress about their flagship's game library but putting funds towards new hardware revision 3 years after PS4 - just :lol:, more joke material for CEO Kaz Hirai.

Nintendo don't know anything about anything anymore. Those rumors about the company having huge reserves of money better be true, NX sounds like garbage fire and they still don't have any idea how to market or sell games online.

Microsoft should get out of console business asap. Just offload the whole gaming division, they don't give a gently caress.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Terminally Bored posted:

Sony not giving a gently caress about their flagship's game library but putting funds towards new hardware revision 3 years after PS4 - just :lol:, more joke material for CEO Kaz Hirai.

Nintendo don't know anything about anything anymore. Those rumors about the company having huge reserves of money better be true, NX sounds like garbage fire and they still don't have any idea how to market or sell games online.

Microsoft should get out of console business asap. Just offload the whole gaming division, they don't give a gently caress.

The first isnt happening

The second is probably true

And the third already happened but they have too much dead stock lying around so they will keep pretending to be in consoles for a while

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It would be good if Microsoft put future games on the PC

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Eonwe posted:

It would be good if Microsoft put future games on the PC

Yeah. Too bad they put them on the Windows 10 app store instead.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

They did put Rise of the Tomb Raider on Steam though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The only FLOPS you need to calculate are these console revisions

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gas immediately

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Instant Sunrise posted:

They did put Rise of the Tomb Raider on Steam though.

Thank god it was before the New Windows Store Reich!

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Remember Nintendo is currently doing the same revision poo poo on the n3ds. How's it working?

http://youtu.be/y2J98CvVau4

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/earthbound-donkey-kong-country-among-todays-new-sn/1100-6435996/

Basically I can see benefits but gently caress the upgrade cycle is worse then PC now if it continues

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gas or long cat returns

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

Gas or long cat returns
No, we're not doing that again.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

Yeah. Too bad they put them on the Windows 10 app store instead.

seriously tho, I'd suck it up and drop $60 bucks on the new Halo even if I had to buy it on the windows store

I have a Nintendo Wii, but most of the Xbox / PS titles are on PC so its not worth it to buy for the one or two big exclusives. I think Microsoft would probably make a decent bit of money if they just treated Win 10 PCs the same as they do XBones as far as game selection goes

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Listen, this thread is populated entirely by the Xbox One is bad crowd. It needs to be exterminated or remade and not by a human being like the OP

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Black Baby Goku posted:

Listen, this thread is populated entirely by the Xbox One is bad crowd. It needs to be exterminated or remade and not by a human being like the OP

Hey don't be bitter cone bro, the xbone is the one console not on the rerelease cycle yet.

Microsoft really needs to count xbox, xbox 360, xbox one, Thats not in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenzarin posted:

Hey don't be bitter cone bro, the xbone is the one console not on the rerelease cycle yet.

gently caress you

• Locked thread