Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I like to think the Innkeeper just dunks his head in water every few minutes while handling visitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

Holy poo poo you can actually see Freya's eyes
I thought she didn't have eyes

And, surprising no one, her expression is that of someone who doesn't have the patience for this poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mega64 posted:

I still need to finish BD some day. Gameplay is fun but drat do I hate how long cutscenes take without anything interesting happening. The pacing of the cutscenes is terrible.

Maybe I'll just skip the story completely, especially from what I hear happens later on.

I played the first one for 40ish hours and the story is just "save the 4 crystals" but they felt like they needed a LOT of dialogue to really drive that point home.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Terper posted:

I mean I also think watching silent playthroughs is a different experience from playing it yourself even if you're cheating or whatever

Yeah, it's a completely different experience if you just sit there looking at the screen while people are exploring versus actually doing it yourself actively. Experienced game players probably can get by at looking at footage given experience that give them good ideas if they are actively watching, but for newer players or people unfamiliar with the genre/gameplay it won't be the same since they won't have a developed sense of what to look for.

In Training posted:

I played the first one for 40ish hours and the story is just "save the 4 crystals" but they felt like they needed a LOT of dialogue to really drive that point home.

The plot and characters do expand beyond that once it gets into chapters 5 and beyond. It seems weirdly detailed for the first 4 chapters for something you think is simple, but they do throw in things to flesh out the characters and scenarios to get you thinking. I had the same sort of thinking when I first played, but I felt it worked well by the end when I had seen that the game did have a bunch of cool things about it's characters and worlds despite seeming boringly simple at first glance.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 19, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mega64 posted:

He's overcompensating a lot because he's a stupid teenager. It doesn't forgive his lovely behavior, but at least he does mature from it later on.
He did commit genocide early in his life.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!

Golden Goat posted:

Part slug.

How do the fish people live on land?

I am 100% certain that RPG Maker stole the fish people concept for their Sahagin sprite:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Another question for FFVI Experts.

Would you say Terra or Celes are the Main Characters, or is the game an ensemble story? Because I have been part ofthe FF community for over ten years and that means I invariably heard debates about pretty much everything, including this. The "it's an ensemble story with no real lead' seemed like a compromise most accepted.

I just got reminded of it looking at a discussion of the most popular FF characters and their chances of being in Dissidia. One guy lost his loving poo poo saying Celes didn't matter and was terrible at everything when someone suggested she was FFVI's lead and should be in Dissidia.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think terra and celes are the main characters and terra is a mainer character by virtue of being main first

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

i think terra and celes are the main characters and terra is a mainer character by virtue of being main first

I agree with Super No Vacancy and I would like all who disagree to be called a rude word but not too rude.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terra is the face of FF6.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'd say it was Terra up until the World of Ruin, then Celes for a bit until you start meeting characters again and then it goes all ensemble. But if it had to be one I'd say Terra after she joins up again. One of Terra's whole big character things is basically a big theme of the story too, so extra points there.

Or Mog. There should be a VI prequel about him and his gang.

What the gently caress that's a loving fish guy. I dunno what I always saw him as but it wasn't that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Even in the WoR, Terra's story is one of the bigger focuses, plus she's the only optional character that will still show up for the ending if skipped. One of the game's biggest themes is love of all kinds, and Terra questioning her ability to feel love as a half-esper until eventually finding it in orphaned children is pretty much the culmination of that, while Celes's whole thing with Locke is kinda underplayed and may not even be resolved if you decide the Phoenix Cave is too much of a pain to bother with. She's mainly the viewpoint character for the WoR to shake things up and because she's most closely connected to the people and events that caused the world's destruction. She's definitely the second-most important character of the playable ones, but I'd still go with Terra as the sole main since the entire game is about her.

That said, it's open to argument for good reason. I'd love to see another ensemble main-series game where who's the actual main character is debatable. The only other games I can think of where you can make that argument are 5 (Bartz gets slightly more focus than the others, but everyone gets pretty much equal opportunity to develop) and 2 (because Firion, Maria, and Guy are loving dull as poo poo and get absolutely no development (as far as characters can get developed in FF2 anyway) compared to the likes of Minwu, Gordon, Ricard, and Leon).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
13 was pretty much an ensemble cast, with hindsight making Lightning stand out more because of the retconning that made 13-2 and LR.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FF6 is largely Terra's story. She is the central focus of much of the plot and even when she isn't in the party is relies heavily on her to the point she is the only character who factors into the ending even if you don't recruit her again. If FF6 has a protagonist is her but the focus character of the story switches regularly between her, Locke and Celes with brief stopovers in Sabin/Edgartown.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
X and XII aren't so much games with ensemble casts as games where the real protagonist is different from the one the game presents as the central character (Yuna and Ashe vs. Tidus and Vaan, respectively). Basch is pretty important to the main story of XII though, and depending on how much you believe the accounts of its development was even more so in Matsuno's original vision of the project.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

terra is the mcguffin of ff6 and its an ensemble cast. like, is jotaro the main character of stardust crusaders? consequently colette is the co-main character of symphonia she just has all the character interactions that a modern version of ff6 would have had time for. If ff6 and symphonia were made in opposite eras their roles would be reversed. you'd be asking if the symphonia cast was 'an ensemble cast' or if it had 'a defined main character'

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

13 was pretty much an ensemble cast, with hindsight making Lightning stand out more because of the retconning that made 13-2 and LR.

This is how I always saw things, too. Lightning really wasn't more important or vital to XIII than any of the other party members.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I always felt like FF6 was kinda split into three acts, with Terra, Locke, and Celes being the main character of each. It's kind of a stretch, but there's a neat little pattern with how each act opens with its main character waking up in a bed after having been knocked out by the events of the previous act's climax

Edit: The magitech armor section is more of a prologue than anything

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Blitzball is a bad and unfun game: http://youtu.be/w0c7j46VJg8

I still keep playing it though because theres something so satisfying about it when its going your way.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Super No Vacancy posted:

mog is the main character

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Scrap Dragon posted:

I always felt like FF6 was kinda split into three acts, with Terra, Locke, and Celes being the main character of each. It's kind of a stretch, but there's a neat little pattern with how each act opens with its main character waking up in a bed after having been knocked out by the events of the previous act's climax

This is a clever and cool observation.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Terra's and Celes' themes are the best music in the game so further support for them sharing mains. When in doubt, follow the music.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tina

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

fruitpunch posted:

OK this is hilarious.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wtf is up with the Blitzball music in that vid?

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Its the original rather than arranged ost, maybe?

Dr Pepper posted:

OK this is hilarious.

Imagine how many riots would take place if basketball didn't allow shots on the buzzer

forpush fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 19, 2016

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Alxprit posted:

This is a clever and cool observation.

bloodychill posted:

Terra's and Celes' themes are the best music in the game so further support for them sharing mains. When in doubt, follow the music.

forever rachel doe

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

fruitpunch posted:

Blitzball is a bad and unfun game.

I still keep playing it though because theres something so satisfying about it when its going your way.

I can't watch the video at the moment, but those words are how I feel about Tetra Master.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

fruitpunch posted:

The story of my experience.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

I read the Steam version of FFIX had character profiles and stuff that say Quina is 70 or 90 years old. That's all I got.

Also Amarant is human. He didn't look very human to me but oh well.

Amarant is actually a Roegadyn.

Oxxidation posted:

And, surprising no one, her expression is that of someone who doesn't have the patience for this poo poo.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

fruitpunch posted:

Haha fuuuck that

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think that exact same thing happened during T40s' LP of FFX, during the mandatory match with the Goers.

Always good to remember how much Blitzball sucks.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

blitzball was good just it gets way too easy too quick

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I think that exact same thing happened during T40s' LP of FFX, during the mandatory match with the Goers.

Always good to remember how much Blitzball sucks.

Oh god the T40s

One of the dark aeon scenes reuses that "staay away from the summonerrr" voice clip, I burst out laughing and couldn't remember why

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Super No Vacancy posted:

If you don't leave the game, the other teams will never rubber band to your level.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Super No Vacancy posted:

This. It was an ok minigame but after the first few games it becomes a cakewalk. The other teams just can't compete.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
In ff9 steam version you get the achievement for getting all the treasures before disc 4 when the last treasure is available and before fat chocobos quest is done

So far only one cutscene played poorly and that was at the end of pandemonium. Crackling and choppy fps :(

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

how much easier is the no missable items missed excal 2 run on ff9 pc assuming the battle engine loads in much faster

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is this actually some sort of official account?

What a weird statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't blame him.