Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Goddamn hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

He had to give an interview about the shirt later with someone at ESPN. It starts strong:

quote:

Lady: Why'd you wear that shirt?
Bo: It was clean.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

That shirt has existed since at least 2006.

I recall being on a Cleveland Sports Board and it would come up every once in a while.

e: people owned it, found it amusing, etc.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 7, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well predictably there are reports he was told to cover up the shirt

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well predictably there are reports he was told to cover up the shirt

He was. The next segment has him with his jacket zipped up halfway.

He also has tweeted roughly 1000 times to the idiots that if he wanted to offend them with a t-shirt he had much better options.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Kalli posted:

He also has tweeted roughly 1000 times to the idiots that if he wanted to offend them with a t-shirt he had much better options.

I desperately want to see these options.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Kalli posted:

I don't know that man has the time to tweet as much as he does but good on him I guess

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Shape of things to come? Root Sports bug replaced with 'AT&T Sports Networks' bug.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wisconwin-Milwaukee's PBP announcer of 16 years just left the team, torched the bridge, and pissed on the ashes :stare:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Apparently in the comments people from MKE are saying that he was 100% in the right to do this, because UW-M's sports administration is absurdly incompetent.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

Apparently in the comments people from MKE are saying that he was 100% in the right to do this, because UW-M's sports administration is absurdly incompetent.

Yeah a friend of mine went there and it sounds like things have been a huge mess

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So about those Big 10 rights

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/722516703792357376

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
gently caress, now we have to deal with all of the detritus that comprises Fox's talking heads.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Yeah, why wait until it's official

https://twitter.com/ColinCowherd/status/722521160437510144

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ugh fox is loving garbage at broadcasting games (and everything else, but I don't really watch any sports media outside of games so whatever). It's also not great for the exposure of the league but mostly I just really do not want to watch that awful channel.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

Ugh fox is loving garbage at broadcasting games (and everything else, but I don't really watch any sports media outside of games so whatever). It's also not great for the exposure of the league but mostly I just really do not want to watch that awful channel.

The trade-off for getting Gus Johnson calling the conference championship game v:shobon:v

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dango Bango posted:

The trade-off for getting Gus Johnson calling the conference championship game v:shobon:v

He was already doing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfqd51IYWNc

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't care for FOX either but if this means I'm subjected to less Beth Mowins I'm totally cool with it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
FOX already owns 49% of the BTN so this is no big surprise

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Congrats, Purdue, you're moving on up from the weekly ESPNU game!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don't care for FOX either but if this means I'm subjected to less Beth Mowins I'm totally cool with it.

Ah yes, all those Ohio State games in the 11am ESPN2 slot

CaptainYesterday posted:

Congrats, Purdue, you're moving on up from the weekly ESPNU game!

ESPNU probably gets more viewers than FS1 much less whatever fox affiliate Purdue gets exiled to

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's a smart move for Fox since it gives them a brand and identity they can build around, something that FS1 has generally lacked outside of UFC and NASCAR.

If they go all-in on being The Home of Big Ten like NBCSN is The Home of Premier League, this could work out well. They'll most likely put Ohio State/Michigan on the main FOX channel and it'll do killer ratings every year, but they'd do well by promoting the other big games on FS1 and trying to get more eyeballs over there.

Of course, the drawback is that they'll still have Cowherd and Clay Travis vomiting out of their mouths every week, and the coverage probably won't be that good and damnit I'm backtracking my positive statements already.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

MourningView posted:

ESPNU probably gets more viewers than FS1 much less whatever fox affiliate Purdue gets exiled to

I got curious, so I looked at a random Saturday in 2015 (November 14, to be exact) to compare ESPNU to FS1:

FS1
Utah vs. Arizona - 575k
Kansas State vs. Texas Tech - 414k
Kansas vs. TCU - 398k

ESPNU
Texas vs. West Virginia - 685k
Miami (FL) vs. North Carolina - 367k
Western Carolina vs. Texas A&M - 296k
New Mexico vs. Boise State - 235k

Apart from Texas/West Virginia, each of the ESPNU games had fewer viewers than the least-watched FS1 game. Now, this is just one week, but I'd say that, on average, a game on FS1 gets ~50k more viewers than one on ESPNU does. At worst, this Fox deal is a lateral move for the Big Ten.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
if you compare fox's flagship cable network to the like fourth string ESPN one then yeah they totally break even.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, I am because Big Ten games on ESPNU and ESPNews will, presumably, be a thing of the past with this Fox deal. Obviously ESPN, ESPN2, and ABC are all still going to be major players in showing Big Ten games - it's just now Fox and FS1 will be showing games as well, and that rises all boats in the conference.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

:doh: Yeah, I was confusing the Fox/BTN relationship and not thinking of the remaining coverage that ESPN carried.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

if you compare fox's flagship cable network to the like fourth string ESPN one then yeah they totally break even.

FS1 also has far more subscribers than ESPNU. Percentage-wise, ESPNU is doing way better than FS1.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

CaptainYesterday posted:

Well, I am because Big Ten games on ESPNU and ESPNews will, presumably, be a thing of the past with this Fox deal. Obviously ESPN, ESPN2, and ABC are all still going to be major players in showing Big Ten games - it's just now Fox and FS1 will be showing games as well, and that rises all boats in the conference.

Who gets what isn't clear yet but I kinda doubt Fox paid that much for the rights to broadcast Northwestern and Rutgers games.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

MourningView posted:

Who gets what isn't clear yet but I kinda doubt Fox paid that much for the rights to broadcast Northwestern and Rutgers games.

What I'm trying to get at is that the less-desirable games will now get higher status by virtue of more channels to put the games on. For example, let's take Rivalry Week. I could imagine this scenario happening in 2017:

ESPN gets Iowa/Nebraska, Penn State/Michigan State, and Indiana/Purdue
Fox Sports gets Ohio State/Michigan, Wisconsin/Minnesota, and Northwestern/Illinois
BTN gets Maryland/Rutgers

Both ESPN and Fox Sports get three games of (rough) equality. Now, instead of showing three games, BTN only shows one game and the other four teams get more exposure on a basic cable network.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Yeah no. No you don't.

I recall you talking down to several big ten fans on your radio show on ESPN.

MourningView posted:

Serves Purdue right at this point.

Morgan Burke is the loving worst.

Boiler Up and all, but Christ gently caress that guy.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Finally no more Big Ten trash games clogging up Goal Line. I can enjoy my ACC/Big East defensive standoffs in peace.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Well it's a good thing they just gutted Fox Sports by slashing staff basically in half.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Peanut President posted:

Finally no more Big Ten trash games clogging up Goal Line. I can enjoy my ACC/Big East defensive standoffs in peace.

Goal Line would be awesome if they could actually use footage from other networks. Like, everybody loves NFL RedZone because you get instant cut-ins and they'll stay with a feed for dramatic moments, because it's run by the NFL and they get to show everything in that seven-hour window.

You sometimes get that with Goal Line, but they don't have the rights to footage from CBS or FOX. Can't remember how many times I'm watching an amazing barn-burner on CBS, switch to Goal Line during a commercial break and they're showing a ACC/B1G snoozefest because that's all they have.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

What I'm trying to get at is that the less-desirable games will now get higher status by virtue of more channels to put the games on. For example, let's take Rivalry Week. I could imagine this scenario happening in 2017:

Fox Sports gets Ohio State/Michigan, Wisconsin/Minnesota, and Northwestern/Illinois

Both ESPN and Fox Sports get three games of (rough) equality. Now, instead of showing three games, BTN only shows one game and the other four teams get more exposure on a basic cable network.

Literally the only game that matters at all between all of those is OSU/Michigan and you're deluding yourself if you think it's going to be on anything but ESPN or ABC.

E: oh durr I always see "Fox Sports" and figure that means relegation to the various FS-Regional networks or FS1, suppose they do have the network too :downs:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 20, 2016

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Goal Line is basically whatever Syracuse game is on that day with some brief interruptions for touchdowns.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

CaptainYesterday posted:

Those networks still have deals with other conferences that actually play football well they can air instead and fox paying a shitload for the right to air Ohio State and Michigan games doesn't suddenly make Purdue and Illinois attractive television properties that they're gonna necessarily want to air on their main station if they have other options.

Also Iowa and Nebraska play on Friday morning when nothing else is on so if anything that game is gonna lose exposure by getting dumped on Fox's failure of a network

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
ESPN gave their bid for the rest of the Big Ten rights and, according to SBJ, it was not as high as projected. Cue wild speculation!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ooooooooh

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/724691395152224257

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Oh poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011