Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Baal posted:

melty blood is on steam

missing stages and modes and you can't use the caster with it and the new netcode is worse than the caster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Goddamn it. Why can't we have nice things?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zand posted:

missing stages and modes and you can't use the caster with it and the new netcode is worse than the caster

how is it missing stages

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zand posted:

gently caress

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Zand posted:

missing stages and modes

The gently caress?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The gently caress?

Eh, I think it doesn't have the PSX version modes (since it's based on the PC version) and Ryougi's scenario for whatever reason. Main issue here is the netcode, which feels pretty similar to the original netcode...so not great, really.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZBRhGd2ltI

dias play sfa2

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
i'm busy trying to remember how to play melty blood

i'm mashing 2a and still losing i was hoping i'd get matched with new terrible players why did i get ten matches in a row with someone i know is quite good

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykP6lFCvdHM

hello please watch one of the greatest fg sets of all time

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

interrodactyl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykP6lFCvdHM

hello please watch one of the greatest fg sets of all time

what is this game called and why are the microshimmies so fast

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i am digging the fireball spam custom combos

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I think some of the match footage there isn't actually playing at full speed. Like the color footage seems to be going a little bit slow. Not 100% sure tho, anyone have a clue?

looks like it's just the first two or three matches that are a little slow.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 20, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JWonggg/status/722574017396285441

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

They're re-releasing Last Blade 2 on the PS4/Vita, which is not news. It's news however that they apparently added six extra characters(!) -- where the hell did those come from? Maybe it's just Samurai Shodown dudes thrown in for good measure?

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Saoshyant posted:

They're re-releasing Last Blade 2 on the PS4/Vita, which is not news. It's news however that they apparently added six extra characters(!) -- where the hell did those come from? Maybe it's just Samurai Shodown dudes thrown in for good measure?

Oh wow, I hadn't heard about the extra characters. I assume one of them is Shikyo, who was in LB1 and replaced by Mukuro in the sequel. I was also comparing the casts of the two games on Fight-a-base and it looks like the original has exclusive variants for Kagami, Akari, and Shigen. Kinda boring, but also kind of obvious and probably easy to implement. And the last 2 are probably non-awakened Kaede and Hagure who's a mirror match shapeshifter.

samco
Oct 10, 2012

dhamster posted:

Don't buy a Madcatz Alpha

Could you elaborate at all? I'm interested in giving fighting games a try and was looking into this stick as it seemed like a relatively okay stick with upgrade potential should I find myself getting more serious.

Is this not the case? What would you recommend doing instead?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

samco posted:

What would you recommend doing instead?

I recommend you read the OP.

Dresh posted:

Oh wow, I hadn't heard about the extra characters. I assume one of them is Shikyo, who was in LB1 and replaced by Mukuro in the sequel. I was also comparing the casts of the two games on Fight-a-base and it looks like the original has exclusive variants for Kagami, Akari, and Shigen. Kinda boring, but also kind of obvious and probably easy to implement. And the last 2 are probably non-awakened Kaede and Hagure who's a mirror match shapeshifter.

Uh, I guess that's how it will go. Laaaame, though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

samco posted:

Could you elaborate at all? I'm interested in giving fighting games a try and was looking into this stick as it seemed like a relatively okay stick with upgrade potential should I find myself getting more serious.

If you don't want to shell out $150 for a Hori Arcade you could buy a used Madcatz Fightstick Pro instead for $125 total instead. It's what I use and it works great. Its only downfall is not being future proof as it needs specific drivers to work on the PS4 which every game doesn't support, at least right away. Even on the PC this rings true as Street Fighter V didn't support it initially, though you can always just use something like Joy2Key.

Being honest unless you go on Ebay and find a gem a of a deal, you are going to be paying at least $150 for a stick. If you are in the market to spend around $100 then you're out of luck. I do know Madcatz had a $100 deal for their sticks a year or two ago (it's how I got mine) but I doubt they'll do that again this year being that the company is hurting. The good thing about buying a quality stick is that they have great resell value, which subsidizes when you buy a new stick

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 20, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
EU people, Third Strike Online is on sale for £4 on PSN (less than a week after I bought it for the full £13 :argh:).

e; looks like SF2HD and Alpha 2 are also on sale, but not Alpha 3 Max for some reason.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 20, 2016

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

buy that game, it's a good game

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So, uh, apparently the steam release of Current Code isn't the same one as the Carnival Phantasm one that everyone's been playing.

https://twitter.com/muto256/status/722718493930569729

There's also some different stuff with meter gain too.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

samco posted:

I was in the same boat recently and bought a Qanba Q1 for ~$120 with shipping, and later put in some silent Sanwa buttons for $20~30. Hori Arcade and the full-sized Madcatz sticks seem to be better recommended, but at the time I bought my stick there wasn't much to choose from in that price range.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Amazon probably still has wwe brawl sticks in new/like new condition for dirt cheap, if you want a starter stick get one of those and a sanwa lever instead

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

samco posted:

Just to elaborate on the madcatz alpha, it's extremely lightweight which is the opposite of what you want in a real arcade stick. Especially when first learning stick it's good to have a solid base. It's also really expensive to mod because you'd want to replace both the and buttons which will cost like 30 bucks. For $110 you can easily find a quality used stick or just pay 150 for a hori or whatever.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dragon enthusiast posted:

Amazon probably still has wwe brawl sticks in new/like new condition for dirt cheap, if you want a starter stick get one of those and a sanwa lever instead

it's an expensive collectors item now

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

After my TE broke I lucked into some cheap tatsunoko sticks (exact same as those wwe brawl ones) and a converter.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I keep hearing brawlsticks brought up because I guess they were really good for the cost, but I just find it really funny in my head that a niche fightstick made in a limited run for a loving wrestling game in 2011 for god knows what reason turned out to be a good enough stick that people are still recommending it. Is there anyone who buys the latest WWE game and goes, ooooh yeahhh, need a fight stick for this one? How did that happen?

I think the WWE art on it is only sliiiiightly less embarassing than an anime schoolgirl fightstick, too.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Originally they were called SEs (standard editions) and were SF4 branded. Those were also pretty hard to find and got discontinued after a year or two. The brawlstick came out a few years later, same stick but with different art.

Pic of an SE:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
edit: beaten

wrestling is just socially acceptable anime

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
It's a lovely stick, it's just one you could get cheaply and then replace all the parts on to make it functionally equivalent to a nicer stick.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
They made waaaaay too many of the Brawl Sticks, so they were dirt cheap for a while. It's not that they were a great stick, they were just a really good stick for the $30 they cost for a while.

samco
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks guys for the advice. I live in Australia so my options are a bit more limited (can't get the qanba cheap, or find many second hand sticks). It looks like I can pick up a wwe brawl stick for $50 AU however (half of the alpha) and swap out the parts for better ones.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jmcrofts posted:

Originally they were called SEs (standard editions) and were SF4 branded. Those were also pretty hard to find and got discontinued after a year or two. The brawlstick came out a few years later, same stick but with different art.

Pic of an SE:

This was my first stick and I still have it, but one of the buttons is hosed up because I used it to play a lot of Marvel 3.

I should probably pop it open and mod it actually since I now have like... 4 different sticks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

attackmole posted:

I keep hearing brawlsticks brought up because I guess they were really good for the cost, but I just find it really funny in my head that a niche fightstick made in a limited run for a loving wrestling game in 2011 for god knows what reason turned out to be a good enough stick that people are still recommending it. Is there anyone who buys the latest WWE game and goes, ooooh yeahhh, need a fight stick for this one? How did that happen?

I think the WWE art on it is only sliiiiightly less embarassing than an anime schoolgirl fightstick, too.

what's up only other person that doesn't care about wwe? i was getting lonely

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Medullah posted:

They made waaaaay too many of the Brawl Sticks, so they were dirt cheap for a while. It's not that they were a great stick, they were just a really good stick for the $30 they cost for a while.

Yeah I mean that's the part that's funny to me the most. I know about SE's, I just think it's funny + weird that they made so many sticks for some wrestling game that 90% of the FGC wouldn't be interested in that they ended up becoming highly recommended just because of the surplus.

Like maybe I'm fundamentally misunderstanding the game and the customer, but in my head I just see the crossover between "likes wrestling games" and "likes fighting games/wants a fightstick" to be incredibly small. I guess if they're collector's items now then they probably made their money on em eventually, but I'd be curious about how many people bought it as an entry level fight stick for whatever and how many people bought it because "gently caress yeah wrestling games gimme an expensive wrestling themed peripheral", because I really can't imagine that second demographic existing in any quantity that would actually justify making the product.

dragon enthusiast posted:

edit: beaten

wrestling is just socially acceptable anime
it's socially acceptable if you're under 12, yeah.

e: Both are socially acceptable for kids to watch and then get weird and unsettling when nerds talk about them on the internet? Yeah, there's some parallels.

Real hurthling! posted:

what's up only other person that doesn't care about wwe? i was getting lonely
:hf:

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 21, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Hey WWF Wrestlemania was a first rate arcade and PS1 fighting game. The undertaker had ghost Hadokens!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

attackmole posted:

it's socially acceptable if you're under 12, yeah.

Something someone in the fighting game thread said about another person's children's toy

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Hey man, I ain't trying to defend this hobby as socially acceptable. I'm a self hating nerd :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's even lamer