Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

He also went after medicare/medicaid/entitlements in the opening bid, before the Republicans even said anything. It was a really lovely thing to do. I'm sorry for your loss.

it's almost like republicans didn't just win a massive victory in the mid terms which to anyone watching indicated that the country was heading back to the right...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chris Matthews just had the "road warriors" with him, who are just MSNBC's imbedded reporters in the campaign press corps. They're all half his age and he's being incredibly old mannish. They're all trying to explain to him how having to switch parties six months earlier disenfranchises people who decided late or were swept up late or didn't follow the voting rules closely enough and he just keeps going "voting is easier than any college class, they should just register."

Matthews vs Millenials round tables is just a fun new aspect to MSNBC's weird primary coverage.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Xandu posted:

I have a feeling the Democrats will never again make CA the last state to vote.

CA is usually the last state to vote for good reason - they would have to pay many millions of dollars to hold a second primary for downballot races. they were super tuesday in 2008 and it didn't get them what they wanted - a lot of candidate visits and ad money.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

A Winner is Jew posted:

it's almost like republicans didn't just win a massive victory in the mid terms which to anyone watching indicated that the country was heading back to the right...

Now you're just moving goalposts after demonstrably being proven wrong about Obama extending the Bush Tax Cuts. Whether he did it out political inexperience or he just bizarrely thought it being a good idea to do for opening negotiations. He still did it. It's in all of our best interest to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Concerned Citizen posted:

CA is usually the last state to vote for good reason - they would have to pay many millions of dollars to hold a second primary for downballot races. they were super tuesday in 2008 and it didn't get them what they wanted - a lot of candidate visits and ad money.

Good point, i just can't imagine the national parties wanting to give candidates even vaguely plausible excuses to stay in til the end. With so many delegates at stake, tough to get over the edge without it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

That poo poo sucked. All of that money and effort but the state gets ignored because there were like 20 other states all voting at the same time and CA media markets are too expensive to compete in when there's other ways to bump your delegate counts.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Weaver was going okay until he went "Well if we lose the popular vote and the delegate vote then we'll just go 'LOOK AT THESE POLLS, YOU SHOULD IGNORE THE WILL OF THE VOTERS' at a time when 'gently caress the will of the voters' is one of the things the Republican Party is in the middle of being mocked for the possibility of it happening."

Xandu posted:

Good point, i just can't imagine the national parties wanting to give candidates even vaguely plausible excuses to stay in til the end. With so many delegates at stake, tough to get over the edge without it.

I think the Democratic Party will look at how the Republican Party went "Well poo poo, let's make it easier for the frontrunner to win!" and then the frontrunner was Donald Trump and realize that while what they have isn't perfect, it is a bad idea to panic change.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

There's a second reason!

The Democrats award bonus delegates to states that go late, and the later you go the more you get. California gets 70 bonus delegates, as big as Missouri's total delegation.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Xandu posted:

They'd probably re-jigger the math/delegate allocations before they moved CA's date in the Primary. poo poo, wasn't CA last back when Bobby Kennedy was running? It's been in the back for a long time.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Obdicut posted:

None of this makes any sense. If she hires them herself she's out whatever salary they'd cost, but she's got tons of money, so who cares. If she hires them through the campaign: What the gently caress 'restrictions' are you talking about? I'm betting you know as much about this as you do about SuperPACs: Jack poo poo. What restriction would prevent her hiring someone for her campaign? Be really clear.

her campaign can only spend money for campaign purposes. they can still grift some money by using a loose definition of "campaign purposes" but there are limits. superpacs don't have that restriction at all (which you would know if you read the article i linked)

quote:

There aren't good ways to 'funnel money to herself' through a superPAC no. So your new conspiracy theory is that SuperPACs hire Clinton friends and family, and somehow they need to form a SuperPAC for it and whoever wants to influence Clinton--say EvilCorp, can't just hire that person at EvilCorp?

Every conspiracy theory you come up with fails because it's just way over complicated way of doing something for no loving reason.

EvilCorp and MegaEvilCorp can't both hire chelsea, but hillary superpac 12 can and both EvilCorp and MegaEvilCorp can donate the funds for her salary to that.

quote:

I didn't say that in any way, shape, or form. I'd say that, after she said that and they just continued as usual, you'd claim that it was insincere and that they were secretly colluding, because that sounds exactly like you.

are you incapable of reading your own posts?

quote:

I don't think it'll be make or break for her, but even if she did plead for them not to fight for her they could do it anyway and people like you would insist that she really wanted them to do it. What she absolutely couldn't do would be directly contact the SuperPAC people and tell them to cut it out.

quote:

I really, really want you to keep track of all the bad poo poo you think Clinton is going to do and pay really close attention to what she actually does and then maybe you can grow as a person.

oh i will. if she turns out to be a good president i'll be pleasantly surprised. i highly doubt she will though.

anyway, i think we're done here. you don't seem to think corruption is at all possible wrt hillary and superpacs, and i'm not convinced of your arguments (also this thread will probably close soon enough and i need to go to bed)

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
"Elections are hard"

- An actual justification for voter disenfranchisement being discussed in this thread TYOL 2016

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Condiv posted:

her campaign can only spend money for campaign purposes. they can still grift some money by using a loose definition of "campaign purposes" but there are limits. superpacs don't have that restriction at all (which you would know if you read the article i linked)

There is no limit on them hiring someone and having them do gently caress-all.

quote:

EvilCorp and MegaEvilCorp can't both hire chelsea, but hillary superpac 12 can and both EvilCorp and MegaEvilCorp can donate the funds for her salary to that.

So obviously EvilCorp would rather hire Chelsea before that happens, right?

quote:

are you incapable of reading your own posts?

No.

quote:

oh i will. if she turns out to be a good president i'll be pleasantly surprised. i highly doubt she will though.

anyway, i think we're done here. you don't seem to think corruption is at all possible wrt hillary and superpacs, even though you admit th

You just have no clue what you're talking about and make endless conspiracy theories that collapse when prodded lightly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

tad definitely implied there's a strong chance bernie drops out next week if late april goes badly. i suspect a hillary sweep but we'll see

It felt like the Sanders campaign sent mixed messages tonight and we're kind of all over the place. It makes it feel like they were caught kind of off guard by the results. The way they were talking today it seemed like they expected a much closer race and maybe the numbers just really left them unsure what the next step is. I'm very interested to see how they react tomorrow once they e had a chance to regroup.

zen death robot posted:

Weaver is getting paid a nice cut of the donations for his job and hell, its this or back to the comic book store for him so yeah I don't blame the guy I guess

Yeah, I hate Weaver and Devine because they always seem to be the guys pushing Bernie towards more questionable attacks and saying iffy stuff, but you can't really expect them to be the ones to call when their pay checks stop. Advisers kind of have a vested interest in advising you to keep running.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Now you're just moving goalposts after demonstrably being proven wrong about Obama extending the Bush Tax Cuts. Whether he did it out political inexperience or he just bizarrely thought it being a good idea to do for opening negotiations. He still did it. It's in all of our best interest to make sure it doesn't happen again.

the bush tax cuts included cuts for the 1% though...

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

""Reuters" posted:

The president wants Bush-era tax breaks to be extended for all but the wealthiest earners

So once again, :happened:

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
What clothes can I wear to increase my chances of getting prodded lightly

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

A Winner is Jew posted:

the bush tax cuts included cuts for the 1% though...

That was not that original point. Once again you're just moving goalposts for the sake of shitposting. Just admit you're wrong and next time choose your arguments more carefully because thinking is hard and you should do it more often.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

It felt like the Sanders campaign sent mixed messages tonight and we're kind of all over the place. It makes it feel like they were caught kind of off guard by the results. The way they were talking today it seemed like they expected a much closer race and maybe the numbers just really left them unsure what the next step is. I'm very interested to see how they react tomorrow once they e had a chance to regroup.

Yeah, I hate Weaver and Devine because they always seem to be the guys pushing Bernie towards more questionable attacks and saying iffy stuff, but you can't really expect them to be the ones to call when their pay checks stop. Advisers kind of have a vested interest in advising you to keep running.

Kinda feels like there's an increasing split between Devine and Weaver on strategy. Sanders seems to be buying into Weaver's bullshit, which is worse than Devine's, sooooo.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

That was not that original point. Once again you're just moving goalposts for the sake of shitposting. Just admit you're wrong and next time choose your arguments more carefully because thinking is hard and you should do it more often.

And the bush tax cuts had nothing to do with my original post that you were responding to.

Also... nice meltdown

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011
Another huge win...for Bernie!

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure that's how anyone would see putting "Bush" and "Tax cuts for the rich" in the same sentence, but keep trying to fishmech your way out of this with stupid pedantry. It's a really dumb thing to double down on esp. when you're so obviously wrong.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kalman posted:

Kinda feels like there's an increasing split between Devine and Weaver on strategy. Sanders seems to be buying into Weaver's bullshit, which is worse than Devine's, sooooo.

Bernie flew home to Burlington tonight, so I'd assume that poo poo is about to go down between him and Tad and Jeff.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I'm pretty sure that's how anyone would see putting "Bush" and "Tax cuts for the rich" in the same sentence, but keep trying to fishmech your way out of this with stupid pedantry. It's a really dumb thing to double down on esp. when you're so obviously wrong.

Only idiots saw that

sorry for your loss

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

Bernie flew home to Burlington tonight, so I'd assume that poo poo is about to go down between him and Tad and Jeff.

Game Change 3 is going to be amazing

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Youth voter turnout was absolutely pathetic, as it usually is in New York:

7%? For King Millennial himself? Inexcusable.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Where is that list of candidates who were failed enormously by the youth vote that they foolishly chose to pander to? I think it's ripe for another entry

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I mean that sounds like literally every candidate in the history of the United States of America.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ScrubLeague posted:

I mean that sounds like literally every candidate in the history of the United States of America.

I mean like, banked on the youth vote at the expense of other demos

Surely not every candidate can have been tragically foiled by youth apathy. At the very least a few people have been elected in the history of this great nation

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
Holy poo poo. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I’m so distressed right now I don’t know what to do. I didn’t mean to do that to my mom but I’m literally in shock from the results tonight. I feel like I’m going to explode. Why the loving gently caress is he losing? This can’t be happening. I’m having a loving breakdown. I don’t want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Bernie to be president and fix this broken country. I cannot loving deal with this right now. It wasn’t supposed to be like this, I thought he was polling well in New York???? This is so hosed.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#...t+of+her+hand.+

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Holy poo poo. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I’m so distressed right now I don’t know what to do. I didn’t mean to do that to my mom but I’m literally in shock from the results tonight. I feel like I’m going to explode. Why the loving gently caress is he losing? This can’t be happening. I’m having a loving breakdown. I don’t want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Bernie to be president and fix this broken country. I cannot loving deal with this right now. It wasn’t supposed to be like this, I thought he was polling well in New York???? This is so hosed.

Get help. And learn some history.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."

lol

Why did you think he was doing well in polls? The best news was that he gradually chipped away a 50 point lead into a ten-to-twenty point lead... kind of a weird thing for anti-incrementalists to celebrate, but w/e.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

He, uh, is quoting someone else.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

OatmealRaisin posted:

ground floor in the worst thread

like predicting the sunrise

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Get help. And learn some history.

Forums poster 'Concerned Citizen' is actually a fervent :shillary: supporter.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
Oh. How about a courtesy link or a quote field next time?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Nameless_Steve posted:

Oh. How about a courtesy link or a quote field next time?

you get nothing

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
immortan are you ready to acknowledge the reality of our second president clinton

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Immortan posted:

Forums poster 'Concerned Citizen' is actually a fervent :shillary: supporter.

Oh hey how you feeling? We missed you!

58-42 feels pretty good, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

you get nothing

Now I know how the bernouts feel.

• Locked thread