Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

memy posted:

Lol if your main bus isn't 8 lanes of blue belts

That's just the iron you're talking about, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Jabor posted:

You can get the same effect with half the iron by just laying down more yellow belt...

It's not like you're space constrained, are you? :)

No, but you are, always, belt-bandwidth constrained.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kenlon posted:

No, but you are, always, belt-bandwidth constrained.

Right, and if you have the space for it, parallel lines of yellow belt gives you more bandwidth for less resources than the more expensive belts.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
This came out really well I think:

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Jabor posted:

Right, and if you have the space for it, parallel lines of yellow belt gives you more bandwidth for less resources than the more expensive belts.

And yet not as much as parallel lines of blue belt.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kenlon posted:

And yet not as much as parallel lines of blue belt.
Exactly as much as parallel lines of blue belt as channels approach infinity (which they can, because the map is infinitely large and you can plop arbitrarily wide buses with robots)

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Jabor posted:

That's just the iron you're talking about, right?

Nah that's copper. I've only got 4 rows of iron

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice

cock hero flux posted:

Does anyone actually use lube often enough to need more than a full storage tank in reserve?

Depends on what mods you use, i'm trying out the factorio basics set and you use heavy oil, light oil, and lube oil in a lot of stuff

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
On the topic of iron and copper, how many smelters do you guys generally run on a big factory? I've currently got space set aside for 60 electric smelters for each, that enough (I was considering putting my refinery just below that area for piping convenience) or will I want more eventually?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I think 60 is a good number, but it really depends on what you're automating and how much throughput you need.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The general answer to any quantity question is always going to be never enough always more.

Looking back my last rocket launch was with 70 iron smelters and 60 copper smelters so that's as good of a start as any.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

This is half of what I want for copper:

(currently 72)

I'm building a rocket for the first time. :unsmith:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
So a while back I mentioned "crossing the streams" in passing, as a thing I tried to avoid doing. I decided to make an image.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
If I enjoy turrets and my vast ammo beltways of death do I need to upgrade to lasers for the mid/late game biter attacks, or are turrets sufficient to get the job done?

Also, whenever I see a train in this game, all I can think of is that it needs a Snowpiercer mod.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gravy Jones posted:

If I enjoy turrets and my vast ammo beltways of death do I need to upgrade to lasers for the mid/late game biter attacks, or are turrets sufficient to get the job done?

Also, whenever I see a train in this game, all I can think of is that it needs a Snowpiercer mod.
Turrets do more damage at shorter range, which means you'll dedicate a healthy repair pack industry besides ammo to keep the turrets and walls topped up once spitters show up, where enough lasers can swat most spitters before they ever spit.

e. I think that more damage might not hold by the time you hit gargantuans either. It might start falling off due to armor, I haven't done the math myself that far.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

zedprime posted:

Turrets do more damage at shorter range, which means you'll dedicate a healthy repair pack industry besides ammo to keep the turrets and walls topped up once spitters show up, where enough lasers can swat most spitters before they ever spit.

I might enjoy that. I started my first game on peaceful because I thought the combat would detract from the game (as it seems to for a lot of people), but restarted as I found I enjoyed the additional pressure of the Starship-Trooperesque bug swarms throwing themselves at my heavily fortified factory. It's a pain whenever I expand though.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

zedprime posted:

e. I think that more damage might not hold by the time you hit gargantuans either. It might start falling off due to armor, I haven't done the math myself that far.

Fully upgraded 6/6 turrets, whether laser or gun, have the same basic DPS. Lasers have better range, Guns have better bullet travel, refire and retarget. Lasers can sometimes be overwhelmed if a particular wave has too many medium's mixed in as (I'm pretty sure) those take two laser hits, which allow Bigs and Gargs to close the distance and deal damage and/or tank shots long enough for spitters to fire. Guns can kill targets instantly and then immediately change to a new target, but you're right, they lose ground against Garg armor.

Gargs have high physical resistance, even Bigs have quite a bit, I don't think any bugs have laser resistance. Except in very niche cirumstances, Lasers win pretty much outright due to the range and armor-piercing. In the late-game, Guns should only be used as stopgaps in the time it takes Lasers to be delivered/lit up.

Edit: Replace 'Garg' with 'Behemoth' :doh:
E1.5: Just a side note, all weapons/turrets/drones/etc are smart enough not to fire at 'doomed' targets, ie enemies with lethal damage targeting them/traveling to them- You'll never have one biter overkilled by several laser turrets all firing independently
Edit2: I'm pretty sure I did my math right, or rather I was sure right up until I wrote this post. Now I have to :spergin: about it again :mad:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 18, 2016

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Your lack of consistant naming convention for multiple edits suggests you've yet to reach maximum :spergin: There's still hope!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I maintain gargantuan is the better name and I've never actually played a map long enough to fight behemoths to bother learning their name.

I was parroting the wiki about gun damage, which says due to bullet and turret techs stacking bullets get some pretty insane base damage. But also its physical and subject to physical defense.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Can someone link me to the mod someone here made that auto-jumps your character out of the way of oncoming trains? I can't find it on the mod site and am unsure how buried into the thread it is.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
JESUS CHRIST IT'S A TRAIN GET OFF THE TRACKS

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Still the best named mod.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That's a great idea. Failing that, some structure you could build like warning bells and lights would be appreciated.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Yeah, an actual guarded or unguarded rail crossing would be sweet.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Just discovered this game and holy poo poo.

My roommate would also love it. Does LAN run well? The wiki and forums seem to have mixed impressions but much of it seems dated.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Multiplayer in general is great! It used to be pretty rough, or so I've heard, but I've had very little trouble with it.

When you're setting up a multiplayer game, you'll see a "server latency" slider. The default is something like 250 ms. Put this as low as you can -- the minimum is 33 ms. The lower it is, the smoother the game will be. It's basically impossible to do certain things safely, like driving cars, if you leave it at 250.
Besides that, you have to make sure you have the same version of the game and the same mods installed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

As is the game is already a pretty amazing toy and future features promise to make it even better.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Honestly I think multiplayer is the ideal way to play the game. Putting your heads together to puzzle things out and improve on each others designs, then roll out armed to the teeth to gun down some bugs with your buddies is a ton of fun.

I'd love to see some passenger vehicles with gunner positions in future updates.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 20, 2016

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Exewu posted:

Thanks for the link, I'll try that one.

I tried moving my steam engines to the lake, but you can see how much space it's taking already. Each row needs one pump + pipeline leading to it, and I don't know how I can keep scaling it. And solar power just isn't polluting enough for me!

try putting two offshore pumps at one end of the pipeline, and this at the other:

can run a double line of engines just by extending the boiler run and using a tank as a splitter.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Markiplier's been playing this game, with a friend. He is TERRIBLE, haha. Like, making a circle of belts around some assemblers that put stuff onto and take off stuff from the same circular belt. That's amazing.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Speedball posted:

Markiplier's been playing this game, with a friend. He is TERRIBLE, haha. Like, making a circle of belts around some assemblers that put stuff onto and take off stuff from the same circular belt. That's amazing.

Why is it that all these youtube gaming celebs are really bad at games? is there some law of nature or what

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Speedball posted:

I think I ended up doing this at my first attempt at a green science plant. Just belts running everywhere with EVERYTHING thing on it like a sushi train, grabbers grabbing stuff from each other's belts, ugh. It was just a horrible mess until I got out the graph paper to work out something less ridiculous.

Anyway obviously I haven't had the game long and I'm up to the point of trying to work out my first blue science sequence without resorting to layouts from wikis. Gotten as far as the sulfur.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly, I've occasionally considered using a heterogenous belt for things that don't need very much throughput but do need a ton of different items.

Then I think about how much fiddling with smart inserters I'd need to do to make that not get clogged up when one of the items on the belt gets backlogged, and I decided that shuffling things around to fit more belts in is just fine by me.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Someone needs to make a "to-do list" mod. I'm just too easily distracted by fixing up little problems or tidying up some poorly laid out belts, on the way to finally hooking up oil, and then beefing up my defence and oh, need a new row of boilers and then forgetting what I'm doing or what I had planned. Part of that is not having that much time to play so each new session I have no idea what I was doing at the end of the last game.

That said I spent my entire time yesterday just going back and forth between starting a new game with or without the RSO mod and trying to get a starting area I thought was acceptable. My biggest problem with the RSO mod always seems to be stone. Most starting area seem to have a very small supply, which is fine as you don't need that much. But I've run around the map for minutes in every direction and not found any more several times. Then I decide to turn of RSO and there's just clumps of resources and bugs everywhere and that doesn't seem like fun either. Either way, I'll find my perfect starting area one day... and when I do I can almost guarantee there will be too many trees every where.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Pound_Coin posted:

Why is it that all these youtube gaming celebs are really bad at games? is there some law of nature or what

Look at the differences in attitude of Markiplier vs. someone like Arumba.

Arumba actually plays the game well and is mostly calm and even. I'm 30 and if I feel like watching Factorio or EUIV, that's usually who I watch.

Markiplier and the other shitlord "content" creators cater to a much younger audience. They don't care about learning about the game, they want antics or some poo poo. And the easiest way to get antics is "WOOAAAH I'M SO BAD AT THIS GAME." *plunks down circular belt with six items on it*

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Gravy Jones posted:

Someone needs to make a "to-do list" mod. I'm just too easily distracted by fixing up little problems or tidying up some poorly laid out belts, on the way to finally hooking up oil, and then beefing up my defence and oh, need a new row of boilers and then forgetting what I'm doing or what I had planned. Part of that is not having that much time to play so each new session I have no idea what I was doing at the end of the last game.

get 5dim core+decorations and use the placeable letters to leave messages to yourself

also your chat history is saved between sessions, so you could just type a message and then press '~' next time to read it again.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Or just do what anyone reasonable would do and open a loving notepad, either digital or a real book

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Gibbo posted:

Or just do what anyone reasonable would do and open a loving notepad, either digital or a real book

I use a physical notepad. The mod request was mostly made in jest (although I'd probably use it).

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 20, 2016

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

the two long inserters pull at slightly faster rate than a single blue (the two reds finished 100 each when the blue had only done 195) and you can fill both sides of the belt.

using fast long inserters to fill a train fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

As I delve deeper into Bob's mods, how quickly am I supposed to go from feeling like near inserters are cheating to just using them as a tool?