Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
The nice thing about Asia is that bribes circumvent everything, so the suicidally rich will still Feed The Mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Won't this just mean that the less experienced climbers will go through the harder China side instead?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Gann Jerrod posted:

Won't this just mean that the less experienced climbers will go through the harder China side instead?

Considering they denied the 12 year old's permit, it may be some sanity on both sides of the mountain.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Gann Jerrod posted:

China doesnt approve a lot of those permits anyway, but I think it means more people will make applications to China.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

HelleSpud posted:

Goodness, looks like some sanity's slipping in:

"Nepal bans novice climbers from Everest, considers more limits"
http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/29/travel/nepal-everest-limits-feat/

"Now, the country has banned climbers who have not previously reached the peak of at least one 6,500-meter (21,325-foot) mountain, according to Sapkota. This will weed out less-experienced climbers who critics say pose a safety threat to themselves and others.

The ministry, which has the authority under Nepalese law to set conditions for climbing permits, is also considering setting minimum and maximum age limits for climbers, and rejecting those who are visually or physically disabled."

So, what's the easiest 6500+ meter peak to summit?
Bonus points if it has porters I can hire to carry me up in a sedan chair.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I've read a ton of books about mountaineering but don't remember anyone whipping out a flask and drinking whiskey after summiting. I think Veisturs or Krakauer or someone wrote about smoking some weed after downclimbing Everest, but that's boring. I want gopro footage of someone hitting a flask on an 8k peak.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

~Coxy posted:

Lenin Peak on the border of Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan is probably the most-climbed, and is 7100m high.

There's also Muztagh Ata in western China at 7500m which doesn't require anything more than fitness and acclimatisation.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Probably aconcagua. It's high but you can get to the top without anything technical and it's reasonably well traveled so there's more logistic support.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Bip Roberts posted:

Probably aconcagua. It's high but you can get to the top without anything technical and it's reasonably well traveled so there's more logistic support.

I think this is right, it’s always been the cheating way to “prove” you’re ready for Everest (if you need something more substantial than Photoshop, anyway).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Imagine dying at base camp. How embarrassing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

At least if the Everest-hopefuls have done another 6500+m peak, they'll have had a chance at understanding what the oxygen deprivation does to them. Less likely to unexpectedly get HAPE/HACE on their Everest summit attempt.

Also it means actually bothering to do a mountain that your buddies, co-workers, family, and friends back home won't have heard of so you won't get all the (undeserved) praise and respect for doing it. Should weed out a lot of people who are only in it for a one-time easy path to peer approval.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Cojawfee posted:

Are they hoping that by consuming stronger souls, the mountain will eat less people?

Everyone knows the mountain eating bigger souls will just be able to level up faster and upgrade its gear quicker allowing it to feast upon more souls.

The thirst will only grow.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Leperflesh posted:

At least if the Everest-hopefuls have done another 6500+m peak, they'll have had a chance at understanding what the oxygen deprivation does to them. Less likely to unexpectedly get HAPE/HACE on their Everest summit attempt.

Also it means actually bothering to do a mountain that your buddies, co-workers, family, and friends back home won't have heard of so you won't get all the (undeserved) praise and respect for doing it. Should weed out a lot of people who are only in it for a one-time easy path to peer approval.

This pisses me off as it ruins my plans to be a serial killer on the mountain / makes it a lot harder as I'd have to have climbed other mountains now.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Microwaves Mom posted:

This pisses me off as it ruins my plans to be a serial killer on the mountain / makes it a lot harder as I'd have to have climbed other mountains now.

You'll be fitter and stronger so not only will you be able to hunt down 55 year old human resources executives failing to do something noteworthy with their lives you'll also be fit enough to chase down the people running the expeditions. Think of it as a stretch goal.

Just try to see through the blood haze and not hurt any Sherpas though, they put up with enough poo poo as it is.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

No that's K2.

People just die on Everest, K2 goes out of her way to kill them.

Mt. BMW

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Microwaves Mom posted:

You can still kill people on the other mountains, and since nobody's heard of those mountains you'll get away with it more easily.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Outrail posted:

You'll be fitter and stronger so not only will you be able to hunt down 55 year old human resources executives failing to do something noteworthy with their lives you'll also be fit enough to chase down the people running the expeditions. Think of it as a stretch goal.

Just try to see through the blood haze and not hurt any Sherpas though, they put up with enough poo poo as it is.

I laughed too hard at this.

Mega64 posted:

You can still kill people on the other mountains, and since nobody's heard of those mountains you'll get away with it more easily.

True but it doesn't have the thrill of killing rich yuppies on everest.
Also your av looks like final fantasy 6 concept art for characters.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Microwaves Mom posted:

True but it doesn't have the thrill of killing rich yuppies on everest.
Also your av looks like final fantasy 6 concept art for characters.

Think of it as practice, you don't want to choose Everest as your first mountain serial killing spree as you'll be ill-prepared to kill said rich yuppies. Get used to killing on higher altitudes first and then you can acclimatize to murdering richer and dumber people.

Also my av looks that way because it was drawn by the same guy who did all the early FF concept art.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Anybody else catch the Sherpa documentary on Discovery tonight? Did we know already that Phurba was retired? Great film, I highly recommend it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Can we crowdfund a 'behind the scenes' documentary of Everest from the underpaid but highly experienced sherpa's point of view? Constant face palms and eye rolling as these stupid rich fuckwits do everything in their power to commit expensive unwitting suicide on their holy ground.

Subtitle the inner thoughts.
*Oh poo poo did he just forget to clip in before the ice bridge again? He always loses his balance how could he forget again?! I should just let him fall... No, I've got a wife and three kids we need this money*
"John! John! Wait! You need to clip in, haha no it's ok. Do you need more oxygen?"
*gently caress, how much oxygen do we have left anyway?*

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Can we crowdfund a 'behind the scenes' documentary of Everest from the underpaid but highly experienced sherpa's point of view? Constant face palms and eye rolling as these stupid rich fuckwits do everything in their power to commit expensive unwitting suicide on their holy ground.

Subtitle the inner thoughts.
*Oh poo poo did he just forget to clip in before the ice bridge again? He always loses his balance how could he forget again?! I should just let him fall... No, I've got a wife and three kids we need this money*
"John! John! Wait! You need to clip in, haha no it's ok. Do you need more oxygen?"
*gently caress, how much oxygen do we have left anyway?*

There was a film made last year called 'Sherpa' which was filmed in 2014, the year of that avalanche. From what I have read it is basically what you have described. It only had a limited release but might crop up on Discovery soon. I hope so coz I want to watch it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The only analogy I can think of for this is if normal people were helping morbidly obese people climb stairs. The obese person is frantically out of breath, crawling up the stairs. And then the regular person walks up and says "Are you doing ok? Do you need more bottled oxygen to make it to the top of the stairs? I'm just going to run up there real quick to make sure everything is ready for you."

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Sherpa is on NOW folks, at least on west coast time. Repeating at 23:00 too!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
If any of you are snapchat users - there a Everest story that's running with some nice shots of the acclimatization process and base camp as of 4-25.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Here's a quick pictorial look at where Kathmandu is now, one year after the quake.

http://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-36091655

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Cojawfee posted:

The only analogy I can think of for this is if normal people were helping morbidly obese people climb stairs. The obese person is frantically out of breath, crawling up the stairs. And then the regular person walks up and says "Are you doing ok? Do you need more bottled oxygen to make it to the top of the stairs? I'm just going to run up there real quick to make sure everything is ready for you."
We all know morbidly obese people would take the elevator.

Finally watched Meru a couple weeks ago and wow holy gently caress.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Slate has a piece up about Everest and sherpa's. The lead paragraph is peak Everest.

quote:

Jeff Brown has spent his life searching for new adventures. “I have shared beef kabobs with Georgian Freedom Fighters in the Caucasus Mountains in the shadow of Mt. Elbrus,” the Florida defense attorney boasts on his website. “I’ve laid down in the marble tomb of the pharaoh Kefron … and been blessed by a Buddhist lama in the Himalayas deep in Nepal—twice.” But for all of these accomplishments, Brown has not yet reached the peak he cares about the most. He’s never summited Mount Everest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

quote:

Brown has not yet reached the peak he thinks his friends care about the most. He’s never summited Mount Everest.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat

"Is there no way to talk to their owners?"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Like a guy this obnoxious has friends.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

twit666 posted:

"Is there no way to talk to their owners?"

Just finished watching Sherpa (beautifully filmed and extremely moving, with BONUS appearance from thread favourite Tim Medvitz) and our jaws dropped when that douchey climber said that. I mean, holy poo poo dude. None of the Westerners came out too well in that film.

Edit: ahah Jeff Brown is that guy. His website is a wall of shite that I could barely be arsed to skim through, it's like the most obnoxious round robin ever. He also compared the Sherpa's walkout to terrorism. I hope Everest eats him this year. Even if he is not climbing. I hope Everest come to his door and eats him.

http://www.brownanddoherty.com/jeff-browns-adventure-bio.php

Rondette fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 25, 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"Geologists are baffled by the recent tectonic phenomena that occured in which Mt. Everest shifted from Nepal to Florida in order to swallow attorney Jeff Brown whole. Many are disappointed that the state of Florida was unable to issue climbing permits before it was able to return to Nepal"

http://www.brownanddoherty.com/terrorism-wins-day-22.php

Dude actually calls it terrorism . Of course he's from Florida

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

He could have summarized that entire adventure bio as "things I've done that failed to actually increase the size of my micropenis", or alternatively, "PLEASE I SWEAR IM INTERESTING"

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Where can a dirty non-cable haver see this movie? I have asked a friend of mine who was the logistics chief for the Yuchiro Muira expedition what his thoughts are about the general climbing season and the upset of the Sherpas. He is not a Sherpa, I believe he's Tamang, but he'd have views reflective of the region and perhaps even more nuance as a minority porter/guide.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Alan Smithee posted:

"Geologists are baffled by the recent tectonic phenomena that occured in which Mt. Everest shifted from Nepal to Florida in order to swallow attorney Jeff Brown whole. Many are disappointed that the state of Florida was unable to issue climbing permits before it was able to return to Nepal"

What a shitlord.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Alan Smithee posted:

It can just take all of Florida while its there. Do us a favor

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I hope he dies on the mountain with the rest of the assholes.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Feel like I should put him in the OP as an example as to why this thread is the way it is.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
New coworker of mine is from Nepal. She was impressed I knew where Nepal is located and that Mt. Everest is there.
Asked her yesterday about the earthquake affecting her family, as they live in Kathmandu. She said her parents and neighbors slept in the street via tents for four months before their house was repaired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

Anya posted:

New coworker of mine is from Nepal. She was impressed I knew where Nepal is located and that Mt. Everest is there.
Asked her yesterday about the earthquake affecting her family, as they live in Kathmandu. She said her parents and neighbors slept in the street via tents for four months before their house was repaired.

Wow, it's like you were almost there. I'm also very impressed that you knew where Nepal is. Please share more of your experiences!