Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
oh are we posting widely used open source packages whose source code is bad now

https://github.com/Distrotech/procmail/blob/master/src/procmail.c

(alright, I'm cheating a bit. Procmail hasn't been relevant for about ten years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr Dog posted:

oh are we posting widely used open source packages whose source code is bad now

https://github.com/Distrotech/procmail/blob/master/src/procmail.c

(alright, I'm cheating a bit. Procmail hasn't been relevant for about ten years)

whats in goodies.h

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
no we're posting code that is unironically good & does exactly what it needs to despite violating arbitrary style "wisdom"

procmail is not such code

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Globals should be grouped at the top of the file yeah but lol @ an embedded guy getting squeamish about state machines and global variables

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
what the gently caress is ;{

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

Globals should be grouped at the top of the file yeah but lol @ an embedded guy getting squeamish about state machines and global variables

I'm not squeamish about state machines or globals. :psyduck:

The state machine in that instance is over-complicated and sucks.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

atomicthumbs posted:

just switch to Mach, god

absolutely, it's better

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Gazpacho posted:

what the gently caress is ;{

lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
C code:
#if DEFverbose
	verboff();verbon();
#else
	verbon();verboff();
#endif

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

C code:
#if DEFverbose
	verboff();verbon();
#else
	verbon();verboff();
#endif

have you tried turning it off and back on again

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

eschaton posted:

absolutely, it's better

I don't see why you wouldn't use a combination of hurd and mach to handle your entire workload

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I thought by changing to KDE and never using GNOME apps I'd be safe from GNOME stupidity, unfortunately I was wrong.

It seems a recent-ish GTK update on my main system has made the file chooser (which I have to use in certain surviving GTK apps) stupider.

They removed the perfectly usable typeahead autocomplete and replaced it with a "user friendly" typeahead recursive search which doesn't do what you would expect in the clearly unheard of and unanticipated multiple match case.

Who would want to get to ~/src/ by typing "src" from the home folder, with or without a trailing slash, anyway?

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=748672 is surprisingly flame free, possibly because so few users are left / run anything vaguely recent. Unless there's a separate "whine" bug elsewhere...

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Further examination reveals some meltdowns over the same change in Nautilus a couple years back, with Ubuntu going so far as eventually reverting the change outright at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/1164016

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
Clearly <script>document.write(new Date().getFullYear());</script> will be the year Linux finally takes over the desktop.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

James Baud posted:

So I thought by changing to KDE and never using GNOME apps I'd be safe from GNOME stupidity, unfortunately I was wrong.

It seems a recent-ish GTK update on my main system has made the file chooser (which I have to use in certain surviving GTK apps) stupider.

They removed the perfectly usable typeahead autocomplete and replaced it with a "user friendly" typeahead recursive search which doesn't do what you would expect in the clearly unheard of and unanticipated multiple match case.

Who would want to get to ~/src/ by typing "src" from the home folder, with or without a trailing slash, anyway?

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=748672 is surprisingly flame free, possibly because so few users are left / run anything vaguely recent. Unless there's a separate "whine" bug elsewhere...

has gtk ever had a good file chooser in any version? i remember it being a thing people complained about when i first got into linux all thoseyears ago

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
gnome's file picker has always sucked

windows got it perfect

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why on earth are you using a file browser that isn't the CLI in Linux? :psyduck:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ratbert90 posted:

Why on earth are you using a file browser that isn't the CLI

This goes for everything now that bash is on mirkosoft

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Why on earth are you using a file browser that isn't the CLI in Linux? :psyduck:

does mc count?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ratbert90 posted:

i like seeing the tree view

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fileman.exe

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

too good for tree?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

prefect posted:

i like seeing the tree view

You know how to spell tree. :colbert:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ratbert90 posted:

You know how to spell tree. :colbert:

you can't navigate in that thing

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

midnight commander.

there is a bespoken terminal application for everything. praise ncurses.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Except no aptitude equivalent for rpm

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

b0red posted:

there is a bespoken terminal application for everything. praise ncurses.

tig is good

t.i.g.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
thr gnome file pikcer is insane and lists things in crazy orders no matter what. i dont understand how to work it, and its always hosed up. sort by last modified, the lkast modified folder is like half way down. not sure why. i dont get it. anyways, whatever

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
because last modified date doesn't work for folders.

mtime on directories is limited to permission changes basically.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
works on Windows. Ntfs must be a superior file system

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

dired is good

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
http://bus1.org/

I still want to know wtf is going on here and why they're writing their own bootloader and service manager. I'm guessing (i.e. desperately hoping) that this is a "reference implementation" type deal so that people don't bring up any systemd political bullshit.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

I still want to know wtf is going on here and why they're writing their own bootloader and service manager. I'm guessing (i.e. desperately hoping) that this is a "reference implementation" type deal so that people don't bring up any systemd political bullshit.

idk what the gently caress that is because apparently "putting a thing on your website that says what the gently caress your project is for" is beneath these people

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
lol the organization description of https://github.com/bus1 is

quote:

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. ⌒°(❛ᴗ❛)°⌒

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Suspicious Dish posted:

because last modified date doesn't work for folders.

mtime on directories is limited to permission changes basically.

it's the time the contents of the directory were changed. when something was added or removed

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

the bits that were there a couple of months ago made it seem like this was just the next take on kernel-space ipc, but from the dmesg samples and bits about the administrator module running as pid1 it seems like this is meant to replace systemd?

i can understand why they are being vague on the site for now to keep the bike-shedding peanut gallery away though.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
No. It's meant to be a real test of the IPC system to try writing a systemd lite on top of it. If it goes well, the concepts would be applied to systemd.

It is not meant to replace systemd.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

No. It's meant to be a real test of the IPC system to try writing a systemd lite on top of it. If it goes well, the concepts would be applied to systemd.

It is not meant to replace systemd.

Be nice if there was a paragraph somewhere that made all this clear.

But yeah I kinda inferred that the systemd-lite they wrote is a proof of concept and/or a reference implementation of a complete userland for this thing. Doubtless some third party will build it out to be an actual service manager later on.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
considering what happens when the systemd crew says anything i dont blame them for not saying anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
also i should probably stop talking in this thread because i think at this point im officially done with linux and desktops and linux desktops