Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

shadowvine118 posted:

'Anybody have any predictions on what the trend for children's' programming will be by and through the 20's? I'm guessing the trend of shorter length episodes will continue. Will kids even watch traditional television by then?
Little kids are watching Youtube already, and let me tell you, it ain't cartoons. It's videos of other people playing with toys, and building things with legos. If you don't believe me, you don't have a kid or nephew/niece with access to a tablet.

You know how some people look at Let's Plays and go "I'd rather play games than watch someone play them!" Imagine that with toys. With toys that the kids already own!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Quest For Glory II posted:

Little kids are watching Youtube already, and let me tell you, it ain't cartoons. It's videos of other people playing with toys, and building things with legos. If you don't believe me, you don't have a kid or nephew/niece with access to a tablet.

You know how some people look at Let's Plays and go "I'd rather play games than watch someone play them!" Imagine that with toys. With toys that the kids already own!!!

Minecraft videos, too. Most little kids I've seen are really obsessed with obnoxious Minecraft comedy videos.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Applewhite posted:

Bee & Puppycat's failing wasn't its long production cycle, but the fact that it distilled all the most boring and inscrutable parts of Adventure Time into a single show.

Yeah, Natasha Allegri's character designs and a few comics were popular on Tumblr but she was totally unable to tell a story.

Pakled posted:

It's weird to compare this to We Bare Bears, but WBB is so much better in this regard. WBB has tons of references to viral videos and other silly internet phenomena, but they handle it so much more gracefully and realistically than new-PPG does. New-PPG's use of internet memes and youth slang seems like it was made by the same marketing executives who designed "totally radical" characters in the 90s.

It's weird because everyone who works at CN says that PPG is supposed to be a talent incubator for new talent. Guess that's doomed.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Years after Cow and Chicken a innocent toyetic Korean cartoon about environmentalism was picked up for a dub, the company that picked it up decided to do something interesting with it, they got David Feiss involved, and :psypop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtNMnZ27RV4

yes that is Flavor Flav :psyboom:

My friend did some voices for that show. He did not get to meet Flava Flav.

I'm...still not entirely sure why they went in the direction they did with this show.

MacFoon
Jul 25, 2007

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Well the Cow and Chicken guy WAS an animation director on the early days of Ren and Stimpy.

Years after Cow and Chicken a innocent toyetic Korean cartoon about environmentalism was picked up for a dub, the company that picked it up decided to do something interesting with it, they got David Feiss involved, and :psypop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtNMnZ27RV4

yes that is Flavor Flav :psyboom:

I remember seeing this.

That seriously looks like a fake animated show that Tracy Jordan would voice in the 30 Rock universe.

MacFoon
Jul 25, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Oh No....

I could see Mattel or Hasbro or even Disney Consumer Products making a live action "Unboxing" series.

Your favorite Tween stars would just unbox toys and products and talk about them and...it would be like a QVC/G4 for Tweens/Kids and...and...

Oh no...oh no I've given them ideas. :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Type in "grocery haul" to youtube if you really want to be depressed

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

To be frank the success of those sorts of let's plays comes less from "It's a videogame that I like being played" and more from a podcast/mild variety type show that happens to use Minecraft or whatever low intensity game as this platform to get a convo going. Otherwise we would see the kind of huge pageview numbers on LongPlays than edited down daily 10 to 15 minute chunks.

I observe that from someone like Feromonas here in Portugal, where he managed to get adverts peddling chocolate milk and his own magazine which is way, way more centered on him as this character with some vague mentions to Minecraft.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, when you down to it, most video media is just about you listening to people talk with some images underneath. And more often than not, you're there to listen to the people more than see the images.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 19, 2016

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
the people i know with kids like to watch masha and the bear on youtube. its some russian cartoon. one guy said because of it youtube linked to someother video and now his kids know some russian

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hey Rita.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
That's the villain of the new Power Rangers movie? Not bad I guess, but it doesn't feel right without an outlandish head-piece. She feels too streamlined.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone on the internet made a "make my monster grow" joke yet?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

axleblaze posted:

Has anyone on the internet made a "make my monster grow" joke yet?

https://twitter.com/DoctorWhatSA/status/722464734361075714

Happy to have been of service.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The bullfighting thing was a stretch, no doubt, but there have been a bunch of jokes in the new PPG that boil down to "look at this man doing something traditionally feminine! Isn't that funny!" which isn't cool.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't seen many episodes of the New Powerpuffs but it feels odd. Like it wants to be a bit self deprecating like Teen Titans Go, but it also wants to have points and story arks like more grounded shows. The animation is more rubberbandy as the girls faces and features shift all over the place like their new powers -- also why do they now like turn into giant Green Lanturnesque light objects instead of just punching and shooting lasers out of their eyes like the old show?

Eh, at least it isn't loving Powerpuff Girls Z. But what was that feminine joke from?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

paradoxGentleman posted:

The bullfighting thing was a stretch, no doubt, but there have been a bunch of jokes in the new PPG that boil down to "look at this man doing something traditionally feminine! Isn't that funny!" which isn't cool.

Why? And I'm going to need very specific examples of how this is so offensive now, considering "dude in a dress" is one of the oldest-ever comedic devices employed in the history of comedy. And to be clear, I'm not asking how it's lazy or hacky or whatever, I'm asking how it's offensive.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Its telling trans women that they're a joke.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Waffleman_ posted:

Its telling trans women that they're a joke.

That's not a very specific example.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The gently caress do you want from me, MLA citation?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I dunno, I figured if there was something there that you find that offensive, you might actually be able to, y'know, describe it

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Probably because a man acting feminine is a subversion of expectations. However, as far as a woman acting masculine or taking on traditionally masculine traits, IE, wearing a suit, being beefy strong, or being just generally proactive, is just showing that she's stepping up to a challenge or otherwise being an ideal image of capability.

A man acting feminine though is bad since you're giving up masculinity in exchange for a long history of traits associated with being weak, submissive, and/or needy.

Seriously, take a look at any lead female protagonist recently in media. She's heroic because she's just doing what lead males are expected to do.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I saw the roller derby bit that that total idiot bug dude got so in a lather he decided to initiate a loving harrassment campaign over a cartoon for a little girls over, and I'll say from the imagery it's not a great look. On the other hand, it's a throwaway less than a second visual gag, the trans (assuming she's trans) character doesn't have a stereotypically male or effeminately "male poorly attempting to be female" voice, she's not referred to as a dude in a dress, and it's more or less a sight gag. It seems like a bad look created by a misaimed attempt at being progressive while also writing in a dude in a dress because "dudes in dresses" are like, one of the oldest comedy tropes in existence, not an actual attempt to be offensive or transphobic or whatever.

As I assumed, because tumblr isn't capable of actually maintaining nuance on literally anything and co-opts cartoons meant for literal children and holding them to impossible standards, then working themselves into a lather when failing to meet that standard. It's a bad and sort of forgettable joke that was clearly not intended out of hatred that deserved "this is a bad and sort of forgettable joke that was clearly not intended out of hatred", not "let's start a loving harrassment campaign over a cartoon for little girls, us twenty-something white men".

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Or, to sum up: tumblr is once again stupid and awful over cartoons for children, what a surprise.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Whatever, there's a lot more reasons to dislike new PPG other than a slightly insensitive joke made without real malice.

Like memes that are older than the target audience. I'm sure the lolcat joke is like ten years old.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Throwing it out there without the slightest bit of context of what is actually going on isn't the best way to do that sort of joke in this day and age. But if people were offended by it and aren't being Mr Enters about it, I'm not going to tell them they're wrong for not liking a weak several second gag.

Hopefully PPG picks up a certain stride or feeling as it's trying to be semi nostalgic 90s toon in an environment where its being outclassed by the current giants of the CN roster.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of old Memes, the ads show that We Bare Bears has a Star Wars Kid joke this week. It's weird to me how that meme seems to live on in pretty much everything regardless of quality. Hell, Gumball referenced it last season.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

X_Toad posted:

That's the villain of the new Power Rangers movie? Not bad I guess, but it doesn't feel right without an outlandish head-piece. She feels too streamlined.

Actually, I think that might be her hair...

Weird, I know.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Toxxupation posted:

I saw the roller derby bit that that total idiot bug dude got so in a lather he decided to initiate a loving harrassment campaign over a cartoon for a little girls over, and I'll say from the imagery it's not a great look.

How do you read that post and reach this conclusion? He expressed an opinion on the cartoon, an opinion that you may very well find stupid but whatever, and reasoned that the cartoon is the way it is because some of its creators have these sort of beliefs, that's hardly an instigation towards harassment. In fact, when in the past his fans harassed some MRA types he mocked, he told them to stop, apologized and left tumblr for months to let everyone cool down.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Honestly? The beefy bearded gal in the Roller Derby gals wasn't that bad. It was at least a clear joke, no one treated her any different compared to any of the other girls on the team. The unicorn episode was a mess from start to finish, and not really clear what exactly they were intending with it. It was just weird.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
All I know is I don't mind the new PPG and that tumblr guy seems to really, really like bugs a lot.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If someone reblogs pictures of cats do you go "man this guy sure likes cats a lot"

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Acne Rain posted:

If someone reblogs pictures of cats do you go "man this guy sure likes cats a lot"

Wouldn't you?

I would have to like cats an awful lot to reblog pictures of them constantly.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I do think the moments that seem to be annoying people in the new PPG really aren't that bad and at the very least can't possibly be taken as mean spirited. Like in the beauty pageant one, yes all the villains put on dresses but no one in the shows acts like it's weird or talks about them looking ridiculous. It's just accepted and not a big deal. The most that happens in the regard is the other villains give Mojo a weird look when he lets slip that he wants the tiara because it's pretty and even then the look can easily be argued to be because they, like the audience, were expecting something more villainous.

Also in the Hangover episode, once again no one mocks Mojo for being put in a dress and really that more falls along with the trope of girls playing dress up at slumber parties than mocking Mojo because he's in a dress.

The roller derby thing, once again, is Not mocked by anyone, just sort of accepted and isn't even really a man dressed as a woman joke.

As was mentioned, it's okay to just not like a show. You don't have to get offended by it as well.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

paradoxGentleman posted:

How do you read that post and reach this conclusion? He expressed an opinion on the cartoon, an opinion that you may very well find stupid but whatever, and reasoned that the cartoon is the way it is because some of its creators have these sort of beliefs, that's hardly an instigation towards harassment. In fact, when in the past his fans harassed some MRA types he mocked, he told them to stop, apologized and left tumblr for months to let everyone cool down.

I know you're aggressively ignorant but if you don't know what the implied statement of "here's everyone in a cartoon show for little girls' contact info after I spent a ton of time railing against how offensive they are" is, the burden is not on me to explain it.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I'm sorry the creators of Breaking Bad don't write for PPG, but it seems like this children's cartoon is being held to impossibly high standards.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
When did bug tumblr man become America's foremost cultural critic? What makes him worth posting about?

Corek fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 20, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Corek posted:

When did bug tumblr man become America's foremost cultural critic? What makes him worth posting about?

I agree, let's talk about something else.

What are you guys expecting from the upcoming Disney shows Billy Dilley’s Super-Duper Subterranean Summer (created by Aaron Springer, the Korgoth of Barbaria guy) and Country Club (created by the Houghton Brothers, who both had worked on Harvey Beaks)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

El Tortuga posted:

I'm sorry the creators of Breaking Bad don't write for PPG, but it seems like this children's cartoon is being held to impossibly high standards.

You kind of have to expect that when you do a remake of a show that not only is a nostalgic favorite for many young men and women but also has the burden of an actual legacy of high quality in storytelling and humor. Its not like a remake of Dexter's Lab would be getting any less grief if it weren't "perfect." Same thing happened to that new Ren and Stimpy cartoon Spike TV made back in the mid-00s, although in that case it was worse because the show actually sucked rather than just being not-flawless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/ntvuganda/status/723050704957517824
Awwww man :(