Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I dissect archived forums posts and pretend I'm professor of internets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Yessss,new page opened with stupidest shitpost

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You've made stupider.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

ok but why bother hunting down 400 year old books no one gave a poo poo about
Just ones you don't have an existing perception of. I'm gonna assume you haven't heard about every single old book worth reading. Also hey, why bother keeping tabs on current books the majority of which no one will give a poo poo about?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Bandiet posted:

Just ones you don't have an existing perception of. I'm gonna assume you haven't heard about every single old book worth reading.

You have no idea of the depths of Mel

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bandiet posted:

Just ones you don't have an existing perception of. I'm gonna assume you haven't heard about every single old book worth reading.

Challenge accepted

quote:

Also hey, why bother keeping tabs on current books the majority of which no one will give a poo poo about?

Because people will give a poo poo about some. For example, its hilarious to me that people are acting like Bolano is old hat and trite when I got Savage Detectives day 1 when he was an obscure Chilean guy. Its nice to be ground floor on something important rather than wait for someone to tell you its important.

Also sometimes I find books that are very meaningful despite not receiving press. There is a reason I march down the goddamn street with a giant banner that says read David Vann, because I know no one follows him except me and he is really good.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 20, 2016

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Sorry but your system sucks :viggo:, you're basically saying is ignorance is bliss. If you've never heard of, say, James Salter you can read him but if you know he is influential then you can't

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

For example, its hilarious to me that people are acting like Bolano is old hat and trite when I got Savage Detectives day 1 when he was an obscure Chilean guy. Its nice to be ground floor on something important rather than wait for someone to tell you its important.

epic win!

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Challenge accepted

Because people will give a poo poo about some. For example, its hilarious to me that people are acting like Bolano is old hat and trite when I got Savage Detectives day 1 when he was an obscure Chilean guy. Its nice to be ground floor on something important rather than wait for someone to tell you its important.

'being on the ground floor of something important' is only nice in the sense of stroking your book ego; in the sense of uh engaging with serious art, it doesn't loving matter when you get there.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

I think it's perfectly valid to want to make your own judgment and connections when reading something. I just don't think that goes hand in hand with sifting through a bunch of modern fiction, unless it really is nothing much more than "I want to know about a cool thing before you."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

david crosby posted:

'being on the ground floor of something important' is only nice in the sense of stroking your book ego

What thread are you in

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
There's a TS Eliot quotation about how the poetry of our contemporaries has the quality of being by our contemporaries but I can't remember the exact wording, anyway imagine I quoted that 1950s fucker about the merits of modern lit.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

The attitude that old books aren't worth your time because you've got commentary or w/e to sift through is something I won't get, because the modern books you're reading are probably part of that same tradition. I think it's safe to say the majority of art produced nowadays is kind of trying to mix and match from a variety of diachronic sources rather than sum up some contemporary scene or aesthetic, and your reading will only be enhanced by a diversity of interests. Basically reading old stuff is cool because it helps you understand new stuff or think about it in a different way. It's not essential or anything, but it's a nice thing to do.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

ok but why bother hunting down 400 year old books no one gave a poo poo about

The reason books get forgotten about is completely arbitrary, mostly cruel and often ideological. Lit crit has never been a meritocracy, ever. If it was, the single best English narrative poem, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, wouldn't have been ignored for 500+ years

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

J_RBG posted:

The attitude that old books aren't worth your time because you've got commentary or w/e to sift through is something I won't get

No one said this so of course it doesn't make sense

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

actually it is the opposite!

The reason I like modern fiction is because classic literature has already been dissected and prepared. Its impossible to read Shakespeare, for example, without being influenced by 400 years of critical and cultural commentary. I find it hard to have a perspective on that kind of fiction I can call "my own" because I am not interacting directly with the text as much as I am interacting with other readings of the text.

There's plenty of really good neglected authors who haven't had this happen even though they're old, like almost anything that Dalkey publishes for example.

david crosby posted:

if we study your posts in this thread, we find an inverse relationship between number of posts and quality of posts. boom. roasted and toasted.

The only literary prize I follow is the Nobel. There are so many important works that I haven't gotten around to that are like probably way more enriching or culturally significant than whatever won the Prix Goncourt or the Man Booker or whatever. Like would it be better for u to read Pilgrim's Progress or A Visit from the Goon Squat?

There was an extremely short period in my life where I thought it would be cool to keep up with lots of book prizes. I did some cross referencing to see what books from the past several years won lots of prizes, and that Hilary Mantel book Wolf Hall won lots, so I read it, guess what it's not very good.

But if you just follow the Nobel, then you only have to read like 2 new books every year to get a good feel for the winner's style and like have some skin in the game, and then you can go back to reading Pessoa or Borges or Bolano or whatever is kool & spiritually enriching.

there's a William Gass essay about book prizes and basically he says that they tend to reward mediocrity because of the need to find a compromise candidate that all the judges agree on, it's a good read.

blue squares posted:

I really want to read The Dying Grass but it is an intimidating book. Long and difficult to understand. The Washington Post calls it the reading experience of a lifetime, but that may be because that's how long it takes to get through it

Read Miss Macintosh, My Darling instead, because it's 'only' 1198 pages and is almost certainly a cooler book.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i can't figure out why i would care either way about this derail :\

actually i guess it's technically on topic but it's so pointless

Thx for pointing out miss Macintosh though, hadn't heard of that one

emdash fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 21, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

TheQat posted:

Thx for pointing out miss Macintosh though, hadn't heard of that one

It's really good, there's a 400 page part that's just a guy fretting over his dead brother.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I like to read critical essays on books after I read the book itself and see how it matches up with my opinion, no idea why you would do it before then complain about how it influenced your textual reading or whatever.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

The best books to read are random Dalkey or Archipelago ones written by Eastern Europeans and Latin Americans imo

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The best books to read are written in languages invented by the author and never taught to anyone.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Dalkey is an odd fish: I feel that along with books they're genuinely passionate there's a ton of stuff brought out that's little more than that country's vanity project, paid for by the respective state and simply published by Dalkey. From what I've seen, Open Letter, And Other Stories, Deep Vellum and others are more personal in their selections, and their books consistently have a lot of care put in them.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

The best books to read are written in languages invented by the author and never taught to anyone.

You are actually right, most literature written after Finnegans Wake is pointless. It's the pinnacle. Only poetry and interactive fiction (->videogames too lol nerds own) have really innovated since.

And actually, I haven't been able to read anything after I watched Knight of Cups, written words feel so pointless. Post-Malick depression happens annually now and it's bad for me

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I like reading old books and new books and not so old books and not so new books. come at me, bro

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
freak

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I like dressing up as the characters of the books I read

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

blue squares posted:

you read books about insanely boring grad students???

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I take offense to that. I would never go to grad school

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
maybe i am confusing you for the guy who posted tons of pictures of himself wearing oppressively dull clothing in waywt in an attempt to cultivate some sort of "serious student" image or something

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
blue squares is a functionally literate squaddie, and as such a protected species who shouldn't be trolled

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

corn in the fridge posted:

maybe i am confusing you for the guy who posted tons of pictures of himself wearing oppressively dull clothing in waywt in an attempt to cultivate some sort of "serious student" image or something

I've been though some dark phases in my life.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

blue squares posted:

if you think about it, the d&d players' handbook is the pinnacle of literature, since it allows you to tell an infinite number of stories. definitely the most bang for your buck

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

I like to read critical essays on books after I read the book itself and see how it matches up with my opinion, no idea why you would do it before then complain about how it influenced your textual reading or whatever.

I am not sure why people keep assuming being exposed to pre-existing critique means reading essays

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

If you're not reading them for school or whatever and the CIA isn't broadcasting essays through your molar fillings I don't see how they could possibly be much of an influence.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

If you're not reading them for school or whatever and the CIA isn't broadcasting essays through your molar fillings I don't see how they could possibly be much of an influence.

Because of how culture works. You probably have some opinions about books you've never read because of information that's out there about them and gets repeated in other media

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

I take the opinions of random assholes on the internet or other forms of media with a grain of salt, especially for a book I've never read. This is not a significant influence. 'Culture works' so I can at least be arrogant enough to disregard the opinions of random plebs when I go to actually read the text. Not exactly the same kind of influence as reading Kierkegaard before the old testament would have.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

oh drat I just realized I'm arguing with someone with an avatar of an anime holding a hitler book

I'll just let Mel Mudkiper come in here and explain it better, like always

I finished The Shipping News and it got a fair bit boring, not sure why it won a Pulitzer.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 21, 2016

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

I take the opinions of random assholes on the internet or other forms of media with a grain of salt, especially for a book I've never read. This is not a significant influence. 'Culture works' so I can at least be arrogant enough to disregard the opinions of random plebs when I go to actually read the text. Not exactly the same kind of influence as reading Kierkegaard before the old testament would have.

his point is more that unless you live in a lightless grotto beneath the misty mountains you will have some cultural conditioning as to what is good and what is bad, as well as some general critical influence

like, i dont think you need to read many esays to be aware that Lear is seen as one of shakespeare's best and that, say, The Two Noble Kinsmen is not. similarly, any schlub with a B.A. should be generally aware of Oedipal critiques of Hamlet

theres a general consensus as to whats good and what isnt. im willing to bet youve heard of Wordsworth but not Thomas Love Peacock, for example

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

I finished The Shipping News and it got a fair bit boring, not sure why it won a Pulitzer.

Because its prose is beautiful and flawless

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Because its prose is beautiful and flawless

Yeah, I did love the style and the imagery. A lot of very touching and perfectly described scenes. But the parts were better than the whole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

End Of Worlds posted:

his point is more that unless you live in a lightless grotto beneath the misty mountains

I do.