Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Violator posted:

Out of curiosity, I checked and found he appears to be the villain or one of the bad guys in these movies:

Return of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.

So roughly half of the "modern" era. (I'm defining modern as during my lifetime of Godzilla '85 and onward, ha.) It could also just be that I had more of a reaction to some of the more serious portrayals of destruction and fighting in some of those movies, having grown up watching a small handful of relatively playful Showa movies. Stuff like having Godzilla electrocuted so badly by Mechagodzilla that he starts foaming at the mouth and barfing in GvMG2 seems kinda brutal when I'm used to the Super Friends version.

I guess the real take away is I need to watch more Godzilla. :cheers:

Making the Godzilla scholar in me come out now:

There's three periods of Godzilla films--The "Showa" period, being from the first one through Terror of MechaGodzilla (75) when they stopped for a while, then they start things up again with Godzilla (84) kicking off the "Heisei" period as they call it (despite the Emperor changeover not happening for another year) and that goes through Godzilla vs Destroyah (95) where Godzilla "dies" at the end, and they were symbolically handing off the baton to America for their upcoming film. When that proved...unwise, they then made Godzilla 2000, kicking off the "Millennium" series of films, ending with Godzilla: Final Wars (04) on Goji's 50th year.

That said, Godzilla's morality has gone up and down. In his first four films, Gojira, Godzilla Raids Again, King Kong vs Godzilla, and Godzilla vs Mothra, there's a loose continuity and he is definitely the bad guy in three of them, with it being hazy in King Kong. In fact, in the next film, Ghidorah the 3 Headed Monster, Mothra actively has to debate with him to defend the human race. Also apparently Godzilla has a foul mouth according to the translators.

You list the first four Heisei films as him being bad in, I'd argue the fifth, Godzilla vs Super MechaGodzilla he's still the villain too, and doesn't become more on the side of good til the next one, Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla. Even then, in the entire Heisei series, it's much more ambivalent, where he's treated less as "good" or "evil" and more as a force of nature to contend with. In fact, a major theme of the Space Godzilla film is that trying to control that force of nature is wrong. The fights in the next (and final) film, vs Destroyah seem less to do with humanity and more to do with Godzilla being drawn to this creature made out of the weapon that once destroyed him.

This concept is made all the more concrete in Godzilla 2000, where after defeating the alien Orga, instead of the stereotypical "return to the sea" that usually happens after a beat-down, he just starts trashing the city again. In the four Millennium films that GMK and Final Wars are not part of the continuity or design of, Godzilla fights monsters yes, sometimes ones that are more malevolent like Orga or Megaguirus, but he doesn't do it to defend the Earth or humanity, he just does it because that's what giant monsters do. They also trash cities. There is no right or wrong to it. This is underscored in the latter two where that continuity's Mechagodzilla is a cyborg revenant of the Godzilla that rampaged in 54. When it encounters the modern Godzilla, its instincts take over and all it wants to do is trash cities and fight monsters, not be logical or careful or listen to its pilot.

In GMK, it's pretty black and white that Godzilla is the villain, being a vengeful ghost of all the soldiers, on both sides, that fought and died in the Pacific Front in WW2. Final Wars is a little more tricky. I think it's intentionally ambiguous. On the one hand, Godzilla gets treated kinda like an animal, fighting through scores of giant monsters because he can. On the other, there's the ending where Minya and the boy kinda make a stand that it's time for the humans and the kaiju to start getting along, suggesting high intelligence and deliberate actions. It's up in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
GMK is such an odd movie. Its one of my favorites of the Millenium series in terms of monster design and the crazy battles but I was never quite sure what Godzilla was supposed to represent.

Was he the souls of the dead taking vengeance on Japan for their war of conquest? Was he attacking because they tried to forget about the war or push some of the nastiest aspects of it under the rug?

It's been a while since I've seen it, but that part was puzzling.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

That trailer fukken rules

but

why does he have such tiny baby arms? I can't stop laughing at them

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Also what the hell is going on in that picture in the op? Why are there 2 godzilla tails? Are there 2 godzillas? That EVA is hosed cause his extension cord is unplugged :rip: shinji

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Actually Aaron Taylor Johnson was perfectly serviceable as a army guy with a distant, hosed up dad who just returned from a army mission being shell shocked that there is a 100-story monster running around the globe chasing 2 other monsters the size of skyscrapers.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ramadu posted:

That trailer fukken rules

but

why does he have such tiny baby arms? I can't stop laughing at them

I think the look for this one is supposed to be horrid/bizarre rather than the handsome devil he used to be for a while there.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ramadu posted:

Also what the hell is going on in that picture in the op? Why are there 2 godzilla tails?

There's only one tail, it just wraps completely around Godzilla.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bob Quixote posted:

GMK is such an odd movie. Its one of my favorites of the Millenium series in terms of monster design and the crazy battles but I was never quite sure what Godzilla was supposed to represent.

Was he the souls of the dead taking vengeance on Japan for their war of conquest? Was he attacking because they tried to forget about the war or push some of the nastiest aspects of it under the rug?

Everything in GMK centers around a quick reference to the Blair Witch Project, and a more exhaustively-explored theme of kids these days not being afraid of Godzilla anymore:

Manager: Attention: Godzilla is approaching. Everyone evacuate this store at once.
Shopper: Godzilla... who cares?

Yuri (host of a cheesy 'ghost hunter' show): You don't sound interested [in Godzilla].
Her boss: Godzilla is passé.

Since (in the continuity of this film) this is the first kaiju attack in ~50 years, the idea is that only the 1954 film was 'real'. The whole 'nuclear holocaust' aspect has been pushed to the wayside as every subsequent film moved away from the horror genre. GMK is a film about how Japan has been at peace for decades, so what use is Godzilla?

The film's answer, in a subtle sort of way, is that Yuri uses the creation of a Godzilla movie to bond with her father - a Hiroshima survivor.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

Actually Aaron Taylor Johnson was perfectly serviceable as a army guy with a distant, hosed up dad who just returned from a army mission being shell shocked that there is a 100-story monster running around the globe chasing 2 other monsters the size of skyscrapers.

He was pretty good but I think everyone was expecting Cranston to be the main character.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Improbable Lobster posted:

He was pretty good but I think everyone was expecting Cranston to be the main character.

The thing is that Cranston's character comes back from the dead as Godzilla himself, so he's the titular character and continues to appear throughout the film.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Improbable Lobster posted:

It doesn't help that Cranston was in the marketing FAR more than Johnson.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
G'14 put on a clinic in terms of misleading marketing. The very first trailer, with Godzilla rising out of the rubble and Oppenheimer doing his "I am death" speech, prepared me to see a film where Godzilla was death incarnate and rearing to tear humanity a new one. Instead, he was pretty chill and only wrecked people and stuff when it was explicitly in his way (the shot with him being flanked by Navy ships was cool, but I feel like that wouldn't have flown with the Godzilla we were shown in the trailer).

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dylazodelan posted:

G'14 put on a clinic in terms of misleading marketing. The very first trailer, with Godzilla rising out of the rubble and Oppenheimer doing his "I am death" speech, prepared me to see a film where Godzilla was death incarnate and rearing to tear humanity a new one. Instead, he was pretty chill and only wrecked people and stuff when it was explicitly in his way (the shot with him being flanked by Navy ships was cool, but I feel like that wouldn't have flown with the Godzilla we were shown in the trailer).

Godzilla vs. Humans just isn't as fun a conflict to see in the movies as Godzilla vs. other monsters though.

The 1954 original is a great film, but in terms of sheer entertainment/spectacle it can't compare with something like Terror of Mechagodzilla or Godzilla vs. Monster Zero. Godzilla by himself tearing down a city just takes disaster movie setpieces and puts a giant dinosaur at the epicenter instead of an asteroid/earthquake/etc. and you can only see him walk unfazed through missiles so many times before it starts to wear thin.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dylazodelan posted:

There were a lot of shots of Godzilla in the trailers that were either Godzilla fighting a MUTO or just a MUTO in the film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Dylazodelan posted:

Watch it again. The teaser was, secretly, a sequel to the film - showing that Godzilla continues to save the world from monsters, after the MUTO attacks.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Watch it again. The teaser was, secretly, a sequel to the film - showing that Godzilla continues to save the world from monsters, after the MUTO attacks.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
Goddamn that music

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Bob Quixote posted:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Everything in GMK centers around a quick reference to the Blair Witch Project, and a more exhaustively-explored theme of kids these days not being afraid of Godzilla anymore:

Manager: Attention: Godzilla is approaching. Everyone evacuate this store at once.
Shopper: Godzilla... who cares?

Yuri (host of a cheesy 'ghost hunter' show): You don't sound interested [in Godzilla].
Her boss: Godzilla is passé.

Since (in the continuity of this film) this is the first kaiju attack in ~50 years, the idea is that only the 1954 film was 'real'. The whole 'nuclear holocaust' aspect has been pushed to the wayside as every subsequent film moved away from the horror genre. GMK is a film about how Japan has been at peace for decades, so what use is Godzilla?

The film's answer, in a subtle sort of way, is that Yuri uses the creation of a Godzilla movie to bond with her father - a Hiroshima survivor.

All of this is kind of accurate. Nobody cares about Godzilla/the war/the threat of a nuclear holocaust anymore, it's passé. But at the end of the movie Yuri and her father can now connect with each other on a deeper level because they've both experienced it. It's kind of fun to think about Godzilla '54, Return of Godzilla, and GMK as a trilogy in that way, because one was made less than ten years after nuclear bombs really did go off, Return of Godzilla was made during the Cold War where everyone was terrified that the world would be awash in a sea of nuclear flame, and GMK was made more recently, where everyone's pretty blasé about these things that were terrifying back in the day.

Bob Quixote posted:

Godzilla vs. Humans just isn't as fun a conflict to see in the movies as Godzilla vs. other monsters though.

The 1954 original is a great film, but in terms of sheer entertainment/spectacle it can't compare with something like Terror of Mechagodzilla or Godzilla vs. Monster Zero. Godzilla by himself tearing down a city just takes disaster movie setpieces and puts a giant dinosaur at the epicenter instead of an asteroid/earthquake/etc. and you can only see him walk unfazed through missiles so many times before it starts to wear thin.

I prefer it when there's both. Obviously there are good/fun movies with every variation of Godzilla, but even when I was a child I preferred the movies where Godzilla wasn't too friendly, just useful when other monsters were around.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
So, they gathered all of the old familiar faces from decades past for the film...so they can once again meet in a war room and discuss Godzilla while remaining far from the action. If they want this film to have impact, let's have Godzilla take a few of those people out.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ZombieParts posted:

So, they gathered all of the old familiar faces from decades past for the film...so they can once again meet in a war room and discuss Godzilla while remaining far from the action. If they want this film to have impact, let's have Godzilla take a few of those people out.

The solution will inevitably be some sort of new secret untested weapon with a ridiculous name like Oxygen Destroyer, All-Metal-Missiles or perhaps the Super X Mk. 10 if they are feeling saucy.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Dylazodelan posted:

Worked out great for me because I only ever saw that first trailer and I went in expecting a '54 retread, so when the MUTOs showed up and I realised Godzilla was going to be the good guy beating up other monsters I lost my poo poo

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Bob Quixote posted:

The solution will inevitably be some sort of new secret untested weapon with a ridiculous name like Oxygen Destroyer, All-Metal-Missiles or perhaps the Super X Mk. 10 if they are feeling saucy.

Yeah, we've got the old guy whose big line is always "Launch the Super X" or "Launch MechaGodzilla" or "Launch Kiryu" and right after they show him, that psychic Miki is in the trailer. We're definitely not going to get much new content from them. If it shows up in the theater I'm there on the first day though. Godzilla looks wicked

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
So Godzilla's new look is thanks to being Oxygen Bombed right? because holy hell he looks messed up in a good way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I think he was less than serviceable as a human being with thoughts or emotions of any kind.

But then David Straithairn wasn't really up to anything interesting either, and he's an actual actor.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SirDrone posted:

So Godzilla's new look is thanks to being Oxygen Bombed right? because holy hell he looks messed up in a good way.

I think it's thanks to this being directed and written by Hideaki Anno, who's been writing and directing hosed up looking monsters attacking Tokyo for much of his natural life. Some of those shots of the tanks/gunships firing on Godzilla at the end of the trailer are more-or-less identical to a whole host of shots from Evangelion. Dude likes his artillery.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dylazodelan posted:

Yeah, a lot of misdirection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIu85WQTPRc

You'll see a split second MUTO foot, but since at this point you don't even know the MUTOs exist you don't know what it is so it could be anything. They even show different versions of scenes to throw you off. In the trailer, Godzilla is roaring at the viewer at the end as the door closes but in the actual film he's fighting a MUTO as that same door closes. I don't think they showed anything really identifiable as MUTO in the initial marketing campaign. Looking back on it now with fresh eyes, I can definitely see why people were pissed that Cranston dies early. I never watched Breaking Bad so I had no real connection to him at the time so it didn't bother me at all. But watching the trailer now he appears to be the main character, he's narrating it, and Taylor-Johnson is shown for just a second or two. If Cranston was one of the main reasons I went to see it, I would be disappointed that he was only in the first 1/3.

The teaser and main trailers are two of my favorite ever and I think do a fantastic job selling Godzilla. "Those weren't nuclear tests. They were trying to kill it." HOLY poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, it's absolutely fair to say that Godzilla '14 isn't the movie we were initially sold on.

But I love the movie we got all the same.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timby posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely fair to say that Godzilla '14 isn't the movie we were initially sold on.

Especially since the early trailer teased a dead Kaiju which never appeared in the actual film:

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
My favorite Godzilla movie is Pacific Rim

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Godzilla design here, along with the scarring, looks a bit like some of the maquettes and publicity mock-ups from the original, which showed Godzilla with a proportionally larger head than on the suit. (I assume the suit design was altered for weight/balance reasons since they had a hell of a time making the costume at all mobile.)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Especially since the early trailer teased a dead Kaiju which never appeared in the actual film:

A giant centipede kaiju would be pretty rad though

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Godzilla design here, along with the scarring, looks a bit like some of the maquettes and publicity mock-ups from the original, which showed Godzilla with a proportionally larger head than on the suit. (I assume the suit design was altered for weight/balance reasons since they had a hell of a time making the costume at all mobile.)

Yeah, I noticed that too, it also doesn't have visible ears just like that mock-up version, it almost resembles the mock-up even more than the actual suit from the original.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So according to IMDB, Shinya Tsukamoto (of Tetsuo: The Iron Man fame) is acting in this?

:psyduck:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So according to IMDB, Shinya Tsukamoto (of Tetsuo: The Iron Man fame) is acting in this?

:psyduck:

God I hope not. Tsukamoto in the original Tetsuo had an amazing presence, and seeing him in The Bullet Man as a middle aged dude with a beer gut was pretty :smith:, he'll be even worse now

Also watching the 2014 movie again right now and it holds up! Although Taylor-Johnson is still dull and the Yucca Mountain scene is still head-clutchingly stupid

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

I don't really care about Godzilla but this seems like a film that writes itself- whatever Godzilla normally does with some Fukushima allusions thrown in for a modern nuclear message.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Zenephant posted:

I don't really care about Godzilla but this seems like a film that writes itself- whatever Godzilla normally does with some Fukushima allusions thrown in for a modern nuclear message.

Funny thing is, the atomic bomb actually killed a lot of Japanese people. Fukushima hasn't.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The allusions don't necessarily need to be instant killers. Pollution doesn't instantly kill people, but that doesn't make it less dangerous.

...if Hedorah was eating pollution, why was it necessary to kill him again?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

The allusions don't necessarily need to be instant killers. Pollution doesn't instantly kill people, but that doesn't make it less dangerous.

...if Hedorah was eating pollution, why was it necessary to kill him again?

He was spreading it everywhere.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Clipperton posted:

God I hope not. Tsukamoto in the original Tetsuo had an amazing presence, and seeing him in The Bullet Man as a middle aged dude with a beer gut was pretty :smith:, he'll be even worse now

Also watching the 2014 movie again right now and it holds up! Although Taylor-Johnson is still dull and the Yucca Mountain scene is still head-clutchingly stupid

I never can get past the 4 or 5 guys on the roof-top shooting rifles at Godzilla. It was like a running gag in the movie that people would point pistols and small caliber rifles at the monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ZombieParts posted:

I never can get past the 4 or 5 guys on the roof-top shooting rifles at Godzilla. It was like a running gag in the movie that people would point pistols and small caliber rifles at the monsters.

Maybe they thought they'd get lucky and hit his Colossus weak point