Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Wrestling is for nerds and I'm going to give Roman Reigns a wedgie this Sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
i just want to see big e wiggle

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

<3 saturday night slam masters

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Trip report: Melty Blood still more fun than SFV. Pity the netcode is Bad and the port apparently has some issues. But hey, might as well pay my Melty Blood Tax.

also my h-vsion is garbage and i can't combo and i won a couple matches off dashup throw which is not a thing

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
How does Melty Steam even have issues? It's not like they're porting a console game or something, it's a drat Windows game to start with!

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

they hired capcom to do the port

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Dias posted:

Trip report: Melty Blood still more fun than SFV. Pity the netcode is Bad and the port apparently has some issues. But hey, might as well pay my Melty Blood Tax.

also my h-vsion is garbage and i can't combo and i won a couple matches off dashup throw which is not a thing

I also play h vsion and the trick is to do her overheqe against bad players you're welcome for the tip

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

is that like just spamming jH (in older gg games) with slayer against bad players?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

People sperg out of milliseconds of latency, but a wireless controller is probably going to add visually noticable amounts of input latency. I mean, if you just don't care, that sounds fine.

Tried it out for a few hours on the PS3 and had no issues with my inputs. Still need to try it on my PC. Not a bad purchase for 40 bucks. Should be useful to lazy play when in bed.

ChazTurbo fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 21, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

is that like just spamming jH (in older gg games) with slayer against bad players?

i dunno but the overhead ain't super hard to react to unless you're me and you're negative after it

i should probably do more overheads anyway tho, the amount of times I got people with random 6[C] on the corner because they tried to jump out is pretty silly. Same thing with charged divekick on knockdown.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is there a modern successor to the Melty Blood games or at least a sister series of it? I always assumed that UNIEL was that game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is there a modern successor to the Melty Blood games or at least a sister series of it? I always assumed that UNIEL was that game.

It sort of is and it's good

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

UNIEL was made by the same guys that did Melty Blood. I actually never played it, but I know it both has a lot of similar mechanics but also plays completely different. I guess you could say they're sister games, like Blazblue and Guilty Gear.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Dias posted:

UNIEL was made by the same guys that did Melty Blood. I actually never played it, but I know it both has a lot of similar mechanics but also plays completely different. I guess you could say they're sister games, like Blazblue and Guilty Gear.

That's what I figured.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
UNIEL feels more grounded, but also characters have some pretty insane tools. Like half the cast seems to have Chaos' j.H in some form or another

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
half the characters in UNIEL can you from half way across the screen with their normals and special moves

then you have chars like akatsuki (but i hear he got buffed!!!)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It also has whatever the gently caress that GRD system is, which is arcane even for a game related to Melty Blood.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

General Morden posted:

half the characters in UNIEL can you from half way across the screen with their normals and special moves

then you have chars like akatsuki (but i hear he got buffed!!!)

Akatsuki is now top tier. In general the tier list for UNIst flipped, so the previous top tiers are now bottom and the old bottom tiers are now top.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Where is Hyde

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
well because the tier list flipped he stayed mid, unfortunately.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm actually okay with that

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

hyde can do like 6k with the new cross veil off system so i'd guess he's closer to the top again but still nowhere near as good as he was in vanilla UNI

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Mintergalactic posted:

hyde can do like 6k with the new cross veil off system so i'd guess he's closer to the top again but still nowhere near as good as he was in vanilla UNI

The problem is that even though he gained damage, his neutral is still lacking, and apparently his matchup versus newcomer Phonon is pretty garbage.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Black Mage Knight posted:

The problem is that even though he gained damage, his neutral is still lacking, and apparently his matchup versus newcomer Phonon is pretty garbage.

everybody's got garbo matchups against phonon lol

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

One of the characters in that is a lady in a dress with a stabby sword I like a bunch of these things

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

One of the characters in that is a lady in a dress with a stabby sword I like a bunch of these things

Hilda is cool.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Was thinking more like that Orie lady.

Also Charlotte and Mitsuru are cool as heck

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NecroMonster posted:

Was thinking more like that Orie lady.

Also Charlotte and Mitsuru are cool as heck

Oh, Orie is also pretty cool.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Dias posted:

It also has whatever the gently caress that GRD system is, which is arcane even for a game related to Melty Blood.

GRD really isn't that hard to understand at a basic level. It's a ticking countdown that rewards the player who's got the momentum of the match in their favor when the circle fills up by giving them a damage buff and access to an RC. It does other things and is influenced in other ways, but that's the quick and dirty explanation behind it.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Grd is one of the coolest systems I've seen in a fighting game in a long time, in that it rewards both good offense and defense, and is tied into the pace of the game in a really smart way.

It's a fantastic way of building advantage by playing well

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay so I'm trying to build a hitbox and I've got my case and what I think are all the parts I need. Thing is I have no idea of how wiring works at all and haven't done anything similar since I was 13 in school.

I've got a brook universal fighting board, sanwa buttons 20 Metre long insulated 2.8mm crimped wires and a 32 crimp connection daisy chain harness.

How on earth do I put this thing together, so far I've figure out the crimp connections on the wire connect to the buttons, but I'm at a complete loss as to 1. how the daisy chain interacts with the wires and 2. how the hell I actually put the things in the board.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The daisy chain is for the ground connection, otherwise they'd need 10 extra terminals for grounding your buttons.

Other than that watch a video tutorial. I'm on mobile so I can't go find one.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 21, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i found a diagram of a brooks pcb which might help

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Is chaos still bad

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Any tournament play or videos that're especially good to watch of some goofy COTA action? I haven't seen it since I was but a wee babe playing it in the arcade. Cyclops says "Jesus Christ!" when he DPs lol

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Real hurthling! posted:

i found a diagram of a brooks pcb which might help

This I get, but I just don't understand wiring at all. Each button has two connectors, one I assume is the ground and the other is the actual button. So logically I wire each button to the place it's meant to go on the board, strip the wire and screw down the board so it's tight against the exposed wire and then I'm meant to use the daisy chain to deal with the ground. This is the part I don't understand since the daisy chains have crimps on either side so if I wire two buttons to each other, I've used up their ground slots and can't wire them anywhere else.

Edit: Oh poo poo that's how it works. I'm a moron.

Secondary question, can I just wire all my buttons to one ground?

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 21, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

teh_Broseph posted:

Any tournament play or videos that're especially good to watch of some goofy COTA action? I haven't seen it since I was but a wee babe playing it in the arcade. Cyclops says "Jesus Christ!" when he DPs lol

He clearly says "Jeans MY wife!".

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This I get, but I just don't understand wiring at all. Each button has two connectors, one I assume is the ground and the other is the actual button. So logically I wire each button to the place it's meant to go on the board, strip the wire and screw down the board so it's tight against the exposed wire and then I'm meant to use the daisy chain to deal with the ground. This is the part I don't understand since the daisy chains have crimps on either side so if I wire two buttons to each other, I've used up their ground slots and can't wire them anywhere else.

Edit: Oh poo poo that's how it works. I'm a moron.

Secondary question, can I just wire all my buttons to one ground?

No. You don't have a ground in any of these circuits. It's DC + and -. Each set of buttons has its own common bus, and the signal return is its own wire. Keep the common for the directional switches separate from the common for the 8 punch/kick buttons. There are several reasons why this might be necessary, voltage may be one of them, but the main reason to keep it separate is because the wiring diagram says so.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Melty Steam is getting rollback integration.

https://twitter.com/MadscientistCC/status/723293799405989889

loving goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Melty Steam is getting rollback integration.

https://twitter.com/MadscientistCC/status/723293799405989889

loving goddamn

I caved and bought it earlier today after I saw ArcSys had already put out a couple of patches to address stability issues. They're a good publisher on PC.