Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks for confirming that I need a new shaft, guess the new driving iron will have to wait. Also a bit upset as just as I am ready to start playing, a large storm is coming in this weekend. Guess I will polish the clubs for a third time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Went to the driving range with my dad yesterday afternoon. Neither of us even swung a club over the winter (so since the end of September) so it was a bit ugly at times. My dad got a new Taylor Made set at Christmas so for him it was learning to swing the new lighter clubs. For me it was mostly just trying to remember how to swing a club without killing or hurting myself.

Felt good by the end of the bucket though. Consistently carrying 180-200 with my 3W off the mats, 7 iron was shorter than I remember but I was accurate as hell with placement, 3 iron was almost as long as my 3W for some reason, and my 5 iron still acted like it was operating on a random number generator. Everything under the 7 was garbage poo that either hooked or I was pulling really far to the left. I need to work on my short irons because I lose so many strokes inside 130 yards and its clear there is an issue somewhere.

Im going to get a driver (and maybe 5W) after work today. Ive never used one before so it should be interesting to have one in my bag.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I'm teaming up with a 36 hdcp tomorrow (36 might be generous), and we're facing two 20-ish hdcps. The course we're playing should be tough for them tee-to-green, but I hear the greens are absolute dogshit right now, so that might keep things interesting.

2 2-man teams, $1 per person in the pot, skins. Combined team score on the hole. What's this format called? It's not best ball. Team skins?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Progress was made today lads, I'm feeling optimistic.

Softening my grip and working on my takeaway and slowing down my backswing really helped.

The biggest thing I was doing, and I'm not sure why I hadn't noticed it before, was that I was turning my left forearm to the left(if the correct grip was to hold your left hand out and make a thumbs up my thumb was pointing about 60* left) at address which drastically closed the club face. I'm not sure how or why I started doing that but it immediately made a huge difference. Still a lot of work to be done but I'm feeling good about putting a few in the short grass when I play tomorrow.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

I'm teaming up with a 36 hdcp tomorrow (36 might be generous), and we're facing two 20-ish hdcps. The course we're playing should be tough for them tee-to-green, but I hear the greens are absolute dogshit right now, so that might keep things interesting.

2 2-man teams, $1 per person in the pot, skins. Combined team score on the hole. What's this format called? It's not best ball. Team skins?

I don't know if there's a specific name for that format, but "Team Skins" sounds as close as anything.

It also sounds like a really fun format.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
This was amazing. 3 groups of 4 European Tour golfers try to break the Guinness World Record for fastest hole played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYaxsIqyPU4

Also DAMNIT SERGIO.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

Also DAMNIT SERGIO.

Typical.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm surprised they didn't try on a hole with a giant wide fairway and no trouble around the green.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Alternative post: The US team is still waiting for Spieth to tee off(yes I know it's Euro Tour).

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm surprised they didn't try on a hole with a giant wide fairway and no trouble around the green.

I like how they gave away exactly what France did in the animation at the start.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

After work golf store trip report:

Went in and the place as dead so I went to the practice thing and swung some drivers for a while. After about 40 minutes I had narrowed it down to the SLDR and the Vapor Speed. Worked out in my favor anyway since I found out after they were both on clearance sale. I was averaging 200 carry with the Vapor and 195 with the SLDR (compared to 185 with the Cobra Fly Z and Callaway XR and 168(!) with the Adams Blue), but the Vapor felt much smoother to swing so I ended up going with that. Also took some time with the matching 5W and 3 Hybrid and ended up buying the 5W as well. New clubs for the first time ever in my life. :toot:

Ill take a picture of my bag once I clean the irons up since Im pretty much set for the beginning of the year. Im so loving ready for golf you guys. :dance:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Valderrama looks pretty difficult on tv and apparently has a course rating/slope of 76/147 so that probably was the easiest hole, lol.

also: the Callaway Apex hybrids own, especially if you like smaller more iron-like hybrids. It's beastly and plenty forgiving as well.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Mizuno MP25 irons 10/10. Would recommend.

Behold, my best round ever. Didn't really do anything special apart from the chip-in for eagle on the 7th.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I can't wait to shoot goddamn 5 under, have nine 1-putts, and be like "eeh, I guess I played alright, I mean there was that chip in eagle but otherwise..."

:v:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I'm really proud of that round but I'm a dickhead that constantly replays the 3 putt from 15 feet on that one hole. Stupid sport.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DJExile posted:

I can't wait to shoot goddamn 5 under, have nine 1-putts, and be like "eeh, I guess I played alright, I mean there was that chip in eagle but otherwise..."

:v:

Pretty sure I was 1 step away from throwing a party just for breaking 100 for the first time in 20 years last summer. :v:

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
So I hit up the driving range today, first time I've swing my clubs in about 7 years. I managed to make solid contact on most of my shots and was getting good distance as well. The only thing I didn't take into account was that maybe after that long 120 balls were a few too many and I have some blistering on my left hand. I have to say I've missed playing as I played 2 times a week from about 8 until I was 18.

So I am in a position to be able to start playing regularly again and my 20 year old clubs are showing their age, they were never great to begin with but enough to get a mid teens handicap.

I have looked at some local stores, I'm in Australia but we tend to be quite overpriced. Does anyone know of any stores in the US that would ship to Australia most of the larger ones like golfsmith and rock bottom won't ship sets here.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Ebay?

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
About to drive the 3 hours to Fiddler's Green in Eugene for their big golf expo with all the vendors.

Two goals:

1. Finally replace my 20 year old Scotty putter. Hoping they have the new Ping TR 1966 in stock to test out.
2. Don't completely empty the bank account.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/EuropeanTour/status/721694658988888065?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

hero poo poo right here

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Can I just say how happy I am that professional golfers are starting to walk away from the old "Gentlemans Game" rules and guidelines. More shaggy DeLaet beards and more temper tantrum Bubbas can only be good for viewership!

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

I never really though about it as I wasnt sure if shipping would be available or if it is at a reasonable price. That being said I managed to find some guys in the US who ship here for around $60AU which is not too bad, it opens up so much more choice. I also managed to snag a Titleist D913D3 for $150 with only light wear on the sole so I'm pretty pumped about that. So thanks for the suggestion, I'd never really used ebay for clubs before.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Haha I was watching that goofy Johnston dude last night, hoped he would win. That's fantastic.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Dimebag posted:

I never really though about it as I wasnt sure if shipping would be available or if it is at a reasonable price. That being said I managed to find some guys in the US who ship here for around $60AU which is not too bad, it opens up so much more choice. I also managed to snag a Titleist D913D3 for $150 with only light wear on the sole so I'm pretty pumped about that. So thanks for the suggestion, I'd never really used ebay for clubs before.

I've sold a few clubs on Ebay in the last year and several have gone to Australia and as a seller I'm only on the hook to ship the club to Ebay's mailing hub in Kentucky or Tennessee for $18 or so (I think they must use Fedex to ship Int) and then Ebay takes care of the rest of the shipping in what I imagine large containers filled with bogan bound clubs!

I'm not sure what the AUS buyer is on the hook for even If the seller was covering shipping - but I'm guessing now it's probably much less than $60 USD.

In the "old" days selling a club internationally was definitely $60+ for shipping.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
lmao at "bogan bound clubs".

Yeah shipping is still $50+ from the states to Australia for clubs. The dollar is poo poo too so add ~30% to the price.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
http://www.earthnutshell.com/out-of-bounds-in-north-korea-pyongyang-golf-course/

Out of Bounds in North Korea – Pyongyang Golf Course

Enjoy haha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

how the balls did a bag from Firestone make it out there :psyduck:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I've been watching a few 915D2 auctions. Never gamed a Titleist driver, but I hit one in a simulator, and it felt good. With a headcover + wrench, I'd be look at $275-300, and $250 would be an absolute steal.

I have an opportunity to get the new Nike Vapor driver for about $240, brand new with headcover and wrench too.

Anybody have insight into these two clubs?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

I've been watching a few 915D2 auctions. Never gamed a Titleist driver, but I hit one in a simulator, and it felt good. With a headcover + wrench, I'd be look at $275-300, and $250 would be an absolute steal.

I have an opportunity to get the new Nike Vapor driver for about $240, brand new with headcover and wrench too.

Anybody have insight into these two clubs?

I'm 3 rounds in on my new vapor fly pro driver and absolutely love it. I gained a no poo poo 10 yards over my previous Covert. I hit the titleist when I was trying out new drivers and I was getting the same distance as my Covert with it. The Fly Pro was the only driver I hit that showed me any noticeable gained distance.

Oh wait, you said the vapor, the green/black one? If so, ignore everything I just said. I hit the vapor and didn't like it at all. Whatever they changed in the vapor fly makes it a whole new club.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

I'm 3 rounds in on my new vapor fly pro driver and absolutely love it. I gained a no poo poo 10 yards over my previous Covert. I hit the titleist when I was trying out new drivers and I was getting the same distance as my Covert with it. The Fly Pro was the only driver I hit that showed me any noticeable gained distance.

Oh wait, you said the vapor, the green/black one? If so, ignore everything I just said. I hit the vapor and didn't like it at all. Whatever they changed in the vapor fly makes it a whole new club.

No, I'm talking about the newest one, the Vapor Fly. http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/golf/clubs/drivers#JdbUfDen0R-1

I tried hitting my current driver (Amp Cell with Grafalloy Epic T90 shaft) alongside the Titleist 915, but I got similar numbers.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

No, I'm talking about the newest one, the Vapor Fly. http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/golf/clubs/drivers#JdbUfDen0R-1

I tried hitting my current driver (Amp Cell with Grafalloy Epic T90 shaft) alongside the Titleist 915, but I got similar numbers.

Ok, yeah that's the one I have, the fly pro. Go hit one against your current one and I bet your gonna see a distance increase.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

DJExile posted:

how the balls did a bag from Firestone make it out there :psyduck:

My guess would be MADE IN CHINA

#makeamericangolfbagsgreatagain

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

My guess would be MADE IN CHINA

#makeamericangolfbagsgreatagain

yeah, poo poo didn't think of that. Probably never made it across the pond in the first place

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh hey I golfed sunday.

Overall pretty happy with this round. I gambled and lost on 2 of the 3 water holes. Very happy with my driver. I kept making sure to take a smaller backswing and that really helped smooth things out. Two of the misses right were just barely off into the rough (let's not discuss #2 :shobon: ) I will never ever argue with a birdie on 18. I smashed a driver and 4 wood to get on a pretty big green and just concentrated on getting the first putt close.

My putting wasn't great. Partly me, partly the greens being in rough shape after last weekend's quick dumping of snow and slush.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Halo14 posted:

lmao at "bogan bound clubs".

Yeah shipping is still $50+ from the states to Australia for clubs. The dollar is poo poo too so add ~30% to the price.

so as a Aus buyer they just additional shipping to your auction purchase charge? I was hoping they just bundled a weeks worth of shipments at a time to save costs. Meh

I played yesterday too - at a course called Morgan Creek near Sacramento in NorCal. This is about normal for me and the 3 penalties were mostly not horrible tee shots just slightly off but there are fence intrusions all over that choke down many of the fairways and on the par 3 I was about 2 feet left of the green and it rolled down into the water.

The trademark tree in the middle of the fairway on #6 has died - so tee shots much easier than it used to be.

It's still filled with goofy poo poo like this though. But also more normal holes:

I played Bayonet and Poppy Hills down in Monterey last week and those are still especially great values and Bayonet/Blackhorse are excellent tight but very fair layouts. Poppy Hills has lots of room off the tee if you are conservative but the long approaches will wear you out and the greens are rock hard and accept nothing and the greens are monstrously huge. I 4 putted the second hole so that was fun.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 19, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kameh posted:

I was hitting those (the Vapor Fly drivers) on Friday at the practice simulator and again yesterday at the driving range thanks to it being a demo day and I really liked it. The Fly and Fly Pro were both really easy to swing and had decent forgiveness even for a 24 handicap player like me while adding significant distance over all the other drivers I tried. That said, it was also expensive as hell so at $240 (they were $410 new + wrench here :canada:) its a pretty good steal for a pretty good club. For what its worth, I ended up buying the Vapor Speed which I was hitting only 5 yards less and it was significantly cheaper ($219 Canadian Funbux) but its something I would highly recommend spending some time hitting before deciding. The 915 was the last one I hit and by then I had already decided on the Vapor so I probably didnt give it the Full Furnaceface Test.

If its the Vapor Flex 440 cross your fingers at it and back away slowly. I did not like that one at all (its the black and green one).

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
First round in the books with my new irons...didn't go terrible. Not having a driver (yet) is kind of an issue as I resorted to hitting a 3 iron off the tee most of the time. There was a long rear end par5 where I asked a dude I was playing with if I could use his driver and he let me. All in all it's about what I expected from the first round in 4 1/2 months and using new irons. Several shots hit fat, club distances misjudged and a lot of 3 putts. Ended up buying a Nike Method Matter putter because it felt pretty good in-store, but overall it's going to take a lot of practice to get used to. Having used an Odyssey 2ball for years it's just a different animal, the ball bounces off the face and feels exceptionally soft in comparison. Weighting is similar, but putts where I would have had to put in some effort in 20-30ft etc. before needed very little help so I found myself blazing by the hole almost every time. Ended up shooting a 92 which is my worst round in a couple season now.

In general though most of my iron shots, while short or long all were pretty decent. Most of my issues were 80-110 yards and making dumb mistakes like decelerating. I was 13 over on the front and only 7 over on the back which is arguably harder. Course was playing 6600 / 142 slope

Furnaceface posted:

I was hitting those (the Vapor Fly drivers) on Friday at the practice simulator and again yesterday at the driving range thanks to it being a demo day and I really liked it. The Fly and Fly Pro were both really easy to swing and had decent forgiveness even for a 24 handicap player like me while adding significant distance over all the other drivers I tried. That said, it was also expensive as hell so at $240 (they were $410 new + wrench here :canada:) its a pretty good steal for a pretty good club. For what its worth, I ended up buying the Vapor Speed which I was hitting only 5 yards less and it was significantly cheaper ($219 Canadian Funbux) but its something I would highly recommend spending some time hitting before deciding. The 915 was the last one I hit and by then I had already decided on the Vapor so I probably didnt give it the Full Furnaceface Test.

If its the Vapor Flex 440 cross your fingers at it and back away slowly. I did not like that one at all (its the black and green one).

$240 is like the ebay, no bullshit price you'll come across for them. In store they are $350 (non-pro) $399(Pro) which is outrageous :D

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 18, 2016

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

Keyser S0ze posted:

. Poppy Hills has lots of room off the tee if you are conservative but the long approaches will wear you out and the greens are rock hard and accept nothing and the greens are monstrously huge. I 4 putted the second hole so that was fun.

I played there last April, and was hoping the place had slowed down a bit. The fairways were faster than most Bay Area muni greens! Still, a gorgeous course, and a great walking course.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

UnionCarbide posted:

I played there last April, and was hoping the place had slowed down a bit. The fairways were faster than most Bay Area muni greens! Still, a gorgeous course, and a great walking course.

I'm pretty sure Poppy Hills never slows down as it drains so well. This was a few days after the Saturday rain too.

I will say that even though we didn't fix a single ball mark on the greens all day and approaches/chipping to them were unforgiving - putting was not as fast as usual and a bit grainy so really hard to get the speeds right and easy to leave those all too common 35 footers 12 feet short (hey 4 putt time!). Fairways are super tight grass and very firm too so difficult to accidentally hit fat but very easy to superlaunch thin some approaches.

I definitely walked at Poppy and would always again. Even though it's in the hills it's layed out very well for walkers with only a long climb up a few holes and between 9's. People are dragging their carts right through all the new waste bunkers though to stay off the cart paths.

Bayonet not so friendly as there are some hikes on concrete paths between holes but still walkable.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Just to steer the chat back to bogan golf. I picked up a used set of Titleist 714 CBs from a pro in a Holden Commodore at a maccas car park. Truly the pinnacle of bogan golf trading. 3-PW with a 54 and 60 Cleveland 588 RTXs, $400AU which is however many bottle caps the Aussie dollar gets against the Green back right now.

Unfortunately the bogan who sold me the D915D2 on ebay is dicking me around on shipping the drat thing, at least I got the irons so I'll have something new to play this weekend.

Just on the hunt for a 17 degree hybrid and new putter to replace my ancient Odyssey Rossie II. Also looking for a new carry bag and am tossing up either a Titleist sta-dry or a Ping Hoofer 14, any recommendations for either bag?