Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Scientastic posted:

Cranberries. Caramelised onion is very limiting.

The idea was for noobs to learn to caramelize an onion properly and then not just slap it on a burger, but I'm liking the cranberry/tart berry idea the more I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My vote is cranberry, since I carmelize onions all over the place but have only had cranberries dried or canned. This will be an opportunity to play with something new.

But yeah, if you're looking to get utter cooking newbies on board, onion isn't a bad bet.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Cranberry sounds fun. Will it be multiple courses, or just one dish?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I've cooked a whole lot more with caramelized onions than I have with cranberries, so Cranberries have my vote. It's fun to cook outside your box! :v:

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

DO IT

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750509

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

psychokitty posted:

Alright noobs! In a possibly unprecedented move, your chairwoman has decided to allow you to choose between her original ingredient, NICSA: CARAMELIZED ONION, and a new theme ingredient, NICSA: CRANBERRIES!!! (Edit: non-cranberry-havers could use lingonberries or similar.)

You have until Saturday, November 7, 12:00 pm (noon) CST (GMT -6) to decide.

Onions please. That's something I can really do like a motherfucker.

e: gently caress. Too late :smith:

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Random ICSA theme idea:

'Round the World
Take the seven continents, exclude Antarctica and whichever continent you happen to live on, and make a meal featuring five dishes where each one is characteristic of some part of the five remaining continents.

e.g. As someone living in North America I'd have to make things based on regional recipes from Asia, Africa, South America, Europe, and Australia, and hopefully make them all work together somehow.

As an adjunct NICSA contest people could pick three of the five available continents.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

DO IT

I really like ICSA

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

PDP-1 posted:

Random ICSA theme idea:

'Round the World
Take the seven continents, exclude Antarctica and whichever continent you happen to live on, and make a meal featuring five dishes where each one is characteristic of some part of the five remaining continents.

e.g. As someone living in North America I'd have to make things based on regional recipes from Asia, Africa, South America, Europe, and Australia, and hopefully make them all work together somehow.

As an adjunct NICSA contest people could pick three of the five available continents.

I'm in! I have to do an ICSA since I graduated out of NICSA far too young

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

PDP-1 posted:

Random ICSA theme idea:

'Round the World

I think even restricting the NICSA to a range of one to three dishes would be good. Challenge us to try to really get specific and cook in a culinary arena we haven't tried.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I just finished polishing off a recipe for pizza crust made using Cassava Flour, so I'd be down for that.

I just don't know whether that would count as Africa, since that's where it's most commonly eaten, or South America, since that's where it originated. :confused:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Or Europe because it's a pizza?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Pizza is a global food

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Pizza: the first fusion cuisine, obviously.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Captain Bravo posted:

I just finished polishing off a recipe for pizza crust made using Cassava Flour, so I'd be down for that.

I just don't know whether that would count as Africa, since that's where it's most commonly eaten, or South America, since that's where it originated. :confused:

If you can make the case that something could come from more than one continent you could just declare it as filling the requirement for one of those continents and then come up with something else for the others.

Since there seems to be at least a modicum of interest I'm willing to write up a kickoff thread over the coming weekend with the official contest to run over May and voting to start June 1. I'd like to do a combo NICSA/ICSA main thread just to keep things from getting split up too much (separate NICSA/ICSA voting threads tho), and will spring for a copy of The Food Lab for the NICSA winner as I'm basically a NICSA level entrant myself, but plan to shoot for the ICSA level as a stretch goal with the expectation that I'll get blown out of the water.

Does anyone want to kick in for an ICSA prize or have any other suggestions for how this should be run? I've only ever participated in one ICSA and lost it handily, so if I'm missing some major bit of how these things are traditionally done or if I'm repeating some previous mistake lemme know.

e: Anyone know what the current ICSA/NICSA contest numbers are now? The OP hasn't been updated since 2014.

PDP-1 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 22, 2016

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You can't enter your own ICSA.

And you're supposed to pay for the prices yourself. It's the way you give back to GWS, which has helped us all so much.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

If you'll cover The Food Lab for the ICSA winner, I'll offer my Anova Precision for a NICSA prize.*

(*Assuming it's not frowned upon or in bad taste to offer a used appliance as a prize. It's a $150 machine, and still in fairly pristine condition, I've only had it for a year. But I understand if it wouldn't be acceptable to offer it.)

(Oh, and obviously I wouldn't be entering NICSA if I'm sponsoring the prize for it. :v:)

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
PDP-1: comes up with great concept, and in a Gift of the Magi situation, cannot participate in his own contest. You could still cook your concepts and then just post a non-contest thread about the cooking process, right?

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Captain Bravo posted:

If you'll cover The Food Lab for the ICSA winner, I'll offer my Anova Precision for a NICSA prize.*

(*Assuming it's not frowned upon or in bad taste to offer a used appliance as a prize. It's a $150 machine, and still in fairly pristine condition, I've only had it for a year. But I understand if it wouldn't be acceptable to offer it.)

(Oh, and obviously I wouldn't be entering NICSA if I'm sponsoring the prize for it. :v:)

I don't think it's in bad taste at all, particularly considering that by the nature of the device it never comes in contact with actual food and runs hot/long enough to sterilize itself so contamination issues are basically nil. In fact, I think it's amazingly generous of you to offer! Looks like NICSA is gonna have the better prize this time around. Thank you! :)

bartlebee posted:

PDP-1: comes up with great concept, and in a Gift of the Magi situation, cannot participate in his own contest. You could still cook your concepts and then just post a non-contest thread about the cooking process, right?

That's cool with me - the rewards of these things from my perspective are being motivated to try something new, learn from other folks doing the same, and then gabbing about it with people who share similar interests. I'll do my thing for fun and then leave myself off the voting list when that time comes.

I'll work on getting a thread up sometime before the end of the weekend.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

I looked back through the last few pages and near as I can tell this will be NICSA 18, ICSA 66. Does that sound right?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I would offer it as the ICSA prize, but I've got a feeling that the people more likely to participate in ICSA over NICSA probably already have a sous vide circulator. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PDP-1 posted:

I looked back through the last few pages and near as I can tell this will be NICSA 18, ICSA 66. Does that sound right?

It's definitely NICSA 18, my PIE contest was 16 and there's been one since.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Captain Bravo posted:

I would offer it as the ICSA prize, but I've got a feeling that the people more likely to participate in ICSA over NICSA probably already have a sous vide circulator. :v:

Untrue. :D

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'd be all over a circulator

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

In that case, feel like flipping the script? My prize for ICSA, the book for NICSA?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yes. I am ICSAing, and I would love a sous vizzler

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I'm certainly hoping to enter, though I have both the book and an original Anova, so really I just want an excuse to cook a lot of food all at once.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

The usual way it goes is if the winner already has the listed prize, they can choose an alternate thing of equivalent price (in the case of cookbooks or the like), or a gift card. Not sure how that would work with a pricey piece of equipment.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Captain Bravo posted:

In that case, feel like flipping the script? My prize for ICSA, the book for NICSA?

That's cool with me if it's cool with you. It did seem kind of upside-down to have the better prize for NICSA, but I also didn't have any issue with a newbie getting something cool. Book for NICSA, vizzler for ICSA it is then.

Drink and Fight posted:

The usual way it goes is if the winner already has the listed prize, they can choose an alternate thing of equivalent price (in the case of cookbooks or the like), or a gift card. Not sure how that would work with a pricey piece of equipment.

I'll try to make it very clear in the writeup that the vizzler is both gently used and not really up for exchange if you already have one. If the winner already has a sous vide setup they can pass on the prize to the #2 person, etc.

Hopefully people don't get all pissy and rules-lawyer-ish about what is supposed to be a fun contest done more for the experience than the prizes.The prizes should really just be a bonus on top of winning and a paper chef hat with '#1' scrawled on the front in sharpie should be enough alongside the actual, you know, winning due being recognized by your peers as having done a great job and all.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

PDP-1 posted:

That's cool with me if it's cool with you. It did seem kind of upside-down to have the better prize for NICSA, but I also didn't have any issue with a newbie getting something cool. Book for NICSA, vizzler for ICSA it is then.

I'll try to make it very clear in the writeup that the vizzler is both gently used and not really up for exchange if you already have one. If the winner already has a sous vide setup they can pass on the prize to the #2 person, etc.

Hopefully people don't get all pissy and rules-lawyer-ish about what is supposed to be a fun contest done more for the experience than the prizes.The prizes should really just be a bonus on top of winning and a paper chef hat with '#1' scrawled on the front in sharpie should be enough alongside the actual, you know, winning due being recognized by your peers as having done a great job and all.

If somebody gives up the sous videodrome to second place I'll buy them a title saying "this poster is a competent cook whose generous deeds speak volumes regarding their character"

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hmm, I can knock out Asia and Europe pretty easily. Doubt I can get away with Tacos for South America, so probably gotta figure something out there.. I've never even had African food, but I'm sure I can YouTube something. And all I know about Australian food, I learned from Outback Steakhouse... but I've wanted to enter the land of ICSA so I might try to get some poo poo together :D.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Yeah, to be clear, I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. More that I'd be excited for a new ICSA/NICSA even if there weren't any prizes.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I've never even had African food, but I'm sure I can YouTube something.

You should make fufu, and then do some kind of South American soup to dip it into. :getin:

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Alrighty, the new thread is up.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015
so it's a joke?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

More than a year has passed without a challenge.

This is is a shame.

I will be posting up NICSA 19 on Monday. Do any of you have a good idea for a full ICSA?

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 11, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

More than a year has passed without a challenge.

This is is a shame.

I will be posting up NICSA 19 on Monday. Do any of you have a good idea for a full ICSA?

Battle Pressure Cooker

Battle Chickpea

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I would definitely be up for battle chickpea

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

If no-one jumps up to sponsor it, I'll make my NICSA a dual category challenge to give a bit more time to figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

NICSA 19: BATTLE PICNIC has begun!