Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Thyrork posted:

Took the thread's advise and started reading Kill Six Billion Demons. Its pretty good! A really interesting mythology. Ill tag this even if its a very mild one; I love the whole "humans(?) came to heaven and fixed everything leading into a golden age by a combination of murder and rebuilding. Then slowly hosed everything up again." angle. :haw:

Also the drinking contest singing is wonderful. :allears: If anyone's on the fence like I was, just read it, its good.

Guess I better pickup "Library At Mount Char" too. ;)

You should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

That name is amazing. Might pick it up after I've finished Armada.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I've never heard of Kill Six Billion Demons but it certainly sounds interesting.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've never heard of Kill Six Billion Demons but it certainly sounds interesting.

It's loving radical.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
And since I don't think anyone's posted the link, it is here http://killsixbilliondemons.com/

And it is rad.

And I'm not quite sure how the Sanderson thread of all places got onto it.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

And since I don't think anyone's posted the link, it is here http://killsixbilliondemons.com/

And it is rad.

Well you see it has a unique magic system-

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

thespaceinvader posted:

And it is rad.

It has a complex cosmology that feels lived in, and that we only have this tiny viewpoint in which to gaze into it. :unsmith:

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Are some of Sanderson's works only available on kindle? I looked on Amazon for the emporer's soul and the mistborn secret history and it was saying kindle only. I hope that's not the case and I'm just bad at the internet

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

smertrioslol posted:

Are some of Sanderson's works only available on kindle? I looked on Amazon for the emporer's soul and the mistborn secret history and it was saying kindle only. I hope that's not the case and I'm just bad at the internet

Secret History is digital-only (but not Kindle exclusive). Emperor's Soul was a physical release when it came out, so you should be able to find a copy somewhere if it's not still in print.

E: Just checked Amazon - Emperor's Soul is still available in paperback through them.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

smertrioslol posted:

There are a few novellas and short stories that have only been released as ebooks or Subterranean Press limited editions. Those two, Perfect State, and maybe a few others. Eventually they tend to get printed in collections, but ebooks are the best way to get them quickly and cheaply.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
If you don't have any kind of e-reader you can download a kindle for PC plugin so you can read ebooks on your PC.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

smertrioslol posted:

Looks like you can still get Emperor's Soul in his store: http://store.brandonsanderson.com/the-emperors-soul-hardcover/

Bit pricey compared to the ebook, obviously, but that looks like your option for something made of paper.

IIRC there's a collection of that and another one or 2 novellas coming out this summer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dravs posted:

If you don't have any kind of e-reader you can download a kindle for PC plugin so you can read ebooks on your PC.

They also have a "cloud" reader that allows you to read Kindle books on Amazon directly.

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

smertrioslol posted:

My fallback for finding books is Half Priced Books. They have new and used copies of Emperor's Soul.

http://www.hpbmarketplace.com/The-Emperors-Soul-Brandon-Sanderson/book/22102197?matches=39

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jorenko posted:

There are a few novellas and short stories that have only been released as ebooks or Subterranean Press limited editions. Those two, Perfect State, and maybe a few others. Eventually they tend to get printed in collections, but ebooks are the best way to get them quickly and cheaply.

There's a collection coming out later this year of them, called Arcana Unbound.

Also supposed to have starcharts and planet writeups.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Nap Ghost
Legion is another one of the books that's hard to find in print.

mewse
May 2, 2006

senae posted:

If you haven't read Robin Hobb's books you should read her stuff. none of her worlds have the same sort of magic system stuff that Sanderson does, but the worldbuilding is really good.

Small necro but I'm really enjoying this book so far, thanks for the recommendation

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm now on book three of red rising. Its amazing, thanks thread

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I'm now on book three of red rising. Its amazing, thanks thread

I just read all three of these. It falls apart just a little near the very, very end, but it was a good little trilogy over all.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't know it was actually possible, but I've gotten to the point where I'm almost done reading all of Sanderson's non-YA books and novellas. Currently reading Emperor's Soul (So good!) and then Perfect State. After that I guess it'll be Rithmatist and Alcatraz. This has been the perfect come down after Infinite Jest. Hopefully he'll publish 2-3 more books before I finish the YA stuff.

Halfway through Emperor's Soul, and it's been absolutely delightful. If it keeps it up it may end up my favorite, not sure why its hitting all the sweet spots with pretty much all the action taking place in a single room, but I can't get enough.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Shovelmint posted:

I didn't know it was actually possible, but I've gotten to the point where I'm almost done reading all of Sanderson's non-YA books and novellas. Currently reading Emperor's Soul (So good!) and then Perfect State. After that I guess it'll be Rithmatist and Alcatraz. This has been the perfect come down after Infinite Jest. Hopefully he'll publish 2-3 more books before I finish the YA stuff.

Halfway through Emperor's Soul, and it's been absolutely delightful. If it keeps it up it may end up my favorite, not sure why its hitting all the sweet spots with pretty much all the action taking place in a single room, but I can't get enough.

Sanderson is really good at short form writing. Almost everyone loves emperors soul.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, ended up finishing it up last night in a bout of insomnia. Absolutely fantastic. Almost done with Perfect State now, and it's been good but it's no ES.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Sanderson is so good that he makes GRRM look like a snail.

Speaking of snails, gently caress whoever wrote the Kingkiller Chronicles. If anyone ever wants to know how NOT to write a trilogy or interact with fans asking when the trilogy will be finished, look at that rear end in a top hat.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Odette posted:

Speaking of snails, gently caress whoever wrote the Kingkiller Chronicles. If anyone ever wants to know how NOT to write a trilogy or interact with fans asking when the trilogy will be finished, look at that rear end in a top hat.

Boy do I have a happy surprise to give you about the Patrick Rothfuss thread.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Is it worse than The Bad Thread in it's first two incarnations? I got really attached to some fellow gurm victims in there
Luckily I wasn't stupid enough to try Rothfuss yet, thanks for the warnings

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

Is it worse than The Bad Thread in it's first two incarnations? I got really attached to some fellow gurm victims in there
Luckily I wasn't stupid enough to try Rothfuss yet, thanks for the warnings

Yeah, don't bother unless you like unfinished trilogies. He promised the last book within 1 year, and that was in 2009 or something? It's never coming out.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Odette posted:

Yeah, don't bother unless you like unfinished trilogies. He promised the last book within 1 year, and that was in 2009 or something? It's never coming out.

Even if it does come out at this point there's no way he's getting another publisher contract unless it sits at the top of bestseller lists like a classic Steven King novel. He's done.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Odette posted:

Patrick Rothfuss has been called "the next GRRM" (by insane/dumb people) and he's just living up to that title by being years late on his next book after having claimed it was almost done and would be ready in no time.

Also Kingkiller's movie rights were bought by Lionhead so if a movie's being made, aside from it likely being awful, it'll only further ensure the guy never shits out his 3rd turd of a book.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Kwyndig posted:

Even if it does come out at this point there's no way he's getting another publisher contract unless it sits at the top of bestseller lists like a classic Steven King novel. He's done.

Oh come on, if he ever finishes it they'll sell a loving shitload. Even if he ends up taking 6-10 years to write another book, the return on the advance is still easily worth the risk. His agent would just have a rougher time negotiating the size of his advance.

Take everyone in this thread that knows who he is despite not having read the books: that's awareness marketing already done; not capitalizing on it would be a waste. He'd still be able to bid publishers against each other.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I may have a problem. Bought Rithmatist yesterday, finished it today. I enjoyed it quite a bit, though it definitely leaves a lot hanging. Rapidly running out of his stuff.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Shovelmint posted:

I may have a problem. Bought Rithmatist yesterday, finished it today. I enjoyed it quite a bit, though it definitely leaves a lot hanging. Rapidly running out of his stuff.

Don't think there's a lot of people who like that series but I am really looking forward to the 2nd book there

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Tahirovic posted:

Don't think there's a lot of people who like that series but I am really looking forward to the 2nd book there

I vastly preferred Rithmatist over the Reckoners books.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Shovelmint posted:

Rithmatist was great and I love the magic system in it.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I can't remember much from The Rithmatist, so I'm looking forward to re-reading it before the next one comes out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Why isn't Oathbringer out yet. :emo:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Evil Fluffy posted:

I just finished the audiobook again.

Agreed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

He's working on a stormlight novella for Arcanum Unbound, which is currently at 60%

Oathbringer is 52% thru the first draft

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Welp, I'm through both sets of mistborn books (and finally found secret history), both stormlight archives, emporer's soul, and just finishing up warbreaker probably today.

Though that got shelved for the past two days as I burned through the library at mount char, thanks for whoever suggested it in here. I want more!

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

smertrioslol posted:

Welp, I'm through both sets of mistborn books (and finally found secret history), both stormlight archives, emporer's soul, and just finishing up warbreaker probably today.

Though that got shelved for the past two days as I burned through the library at mount char, thanks for whoever suggested it in here. I want more!

I picked up library at mount char too after seeing it here. Great recommendation, I really enjoyed it. I'm reading the locke lamora books now since I've seen them mentioned here a few times also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Going to nth Library at Mount Char too, read it a few weeks because of the recommendation from this thread.

Enjoy the Gentlemen Bastards, they're fun books. And the 4th one just got a real, no kidding release date in September.