Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Calaveron posted:

How many times has Larry Clark come up in the show now

Personally i'm waiting for the whm episode on zoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know, I actually never heard of Larry Clark until this episode, so I looked up "Kids" on Wikipedia.

Yikes.
It's definitely the worst 90s thing I remember actually liking at the time it came out. 14-year old me thought that ending where a guy gets AIDS by raping a girl his buddy had previously given it to while taking her virginity was all kinds of profound, man.

I guess most of my friends back then being skaters and all of us starting to experiment with weed and beer when it came out played into it too, but still.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 22, 2016

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

You know, I actually never heard of Larry Clark until this episode, so I looked up "Kids" on Wikipedia.

Yikes.

Told ya'

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I'm pretty sure the haunted swimming pool on Unsolved Mysteries they were talking about is actually aboard the Queen Mary. If you can't accept the 100% authenticity of that haunting I don't what to tell you.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
They totally brought back my childhood with the Unsolved Mysteries aside. It really was two shows, the "missing children and escaped murderers" show and the "ghosts and UFOs" show. It was enjoyably creepy and I spent a lot of bored summer afternoons watching that kind of stuff as a kid.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
If u weren't watching an unhealthy amount of Game Show Network u were spending ur child summers wrong imo

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

If u weren't watching an unhealthy amount of Game Show Network u were spending ur child summers wrong imo

I got my old game show education mostly through Nick At Night, we didn't get the good stuff like The Comedy Channel or the Scifi Channel until like, 2000. By then I had to get a job.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Croisquessein posted:

I got my old game show education mostly through Nick At Night, we didn't get the good stuff like The Comedy Channel or the Scifi Channel until like, 2000. By then I had to get a job.

What matters is u saw the game shows...u gotta see the game shows

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaIZF8uUTtk

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hahaha holy poo poo someone get this to the WHM crew ASAP
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1108580625844658&id=575980962437963&_rdr

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Turkish 70s / 80s cinema has some wild stuff, they just didn't give a poo poo about copyrights and ripped off whatever characters they thought would sell. I seriously doubt the WHM guys have never heard of it though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turksploitation

The only one I've really seen (instead of just looking at Youtube clips) is the one with Santo & Capt. America vs Evil Turkish Spiderman

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 25, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Illinois Smith posted:

It's definitely the worst 90s thing I remember actually liking at the time it came out. 14-year old me thought that ending where a guy gets AIDS by raping a girl his buddy had previously given it to while taking her virginity was all kinds of profound, man.

I guess most of my friends back then being skaters and all of us starting to experiment with weed and beer when it came out played into it too, but still.

Kids and especially Bully are still great films, despite Clark's fetishizing. Wassup Rockers is also really good, but probably only worth watching if you're down to watch what ends up being just a 90 minute skate video with a good soundtrack and barely a plot.

It's worth noting though that none of Clark's films actually have a Slint song in them. The soundtrack to Kids was curated by Lou Barlow of Sebadoh/Folk Implosion ("Natural One" being a legitimate hit from the soundtrack) and he put Slint's "Good Morning Captain" on it for the sole reason that he wanted more people to know about the band. Nary a note from the song appears in the film.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

This is just the greatest. The little pop when the magic self-replenishing grenade launcher goes off, and the sad attempt to make it fly forward instead of fall off.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

Turkish 70s / 80s cinema has some wild stuff, they just didn't give a poo poo about copyrights and ripped off whatever characters they thought would sell. I seriously doubt the WHM guys have never heard of it though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turksploitation

The only one I've really seen (instead of just looking at Youtube clips) is the one with Santo & Capt. America vs Evil Turkish Spiderman
The guy who does the running leap out of the house to flip over the porch railing when he gets "blown up" is my hero.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I really hope there's a Twin Peaks reboot on-screen episode, because there's an old favorite in the cast list.

Jim Belushi

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Speaking of old favorites, hey keewwl!!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

Speaking of old favorites, hey keewwl!!

Aw man. I wish I would have had this to listen to during my two hour drive on Sunday. They credited him as Dan Whitney. :laugh:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Poor Toony Hale deserves better than this poo poo.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

ghost emoji posted:

I really hope there's a Twin Peaks reboot on-screen episode, because there's an old favorite in the cast list.

Jim Belushi

I'm pretty sure they had this as a bit on one of the newer episodes. May have been Nightmare Beach.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
DICK BEER

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

look guys, if you're gonna pee in the shower, don't pee on your toes

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh hey, WHM got featured in an article on A.V. Club!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Illinois Smith posted:

Poor Toony Hale deserves better than this poo poo.

He has veep

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

And in case any of them are reading, don't worry, Carlos Danger is too funny not to have made it to the other side of the world.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Now I want to see Denzel at a Larry the Cable Guy show and his reaction to the Turner Diaries

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

ghost emoji posted:

Jim Belushi

Who else was going to play FAT GHOOOOOST?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Who else was going to play FAT GHOOOOOST?

They do not have the dancing dwarf, so maybe we will get a new dancer wearing a cubbies hat.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

He has veep
I know, and thank gently caress he landed that six years after AD got cancelled.

I kind of want to watch today's movie just because I watched the last Larry TCG thing they had on the podcast and it was him in full kid-friendly CGI slapstick mode, at least this one sounds like it would give me the full shitbag experience.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 26, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Illinois Smith posted:

I know, and thank gently caress he landed that six years after AD got cancelled.

I kind of want to watch today's movie just because I watched the last Larry TCG thing they had on the podcast and it was him in full kid-friendly CGI slapstick mode, at least this one sounds like it would give me the full shitbag experience.

I also remember he was on an Andy Richter sitcom, and while funny it only aired 4 episodes.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

bobkatt013 posted:

I also remember he was on an Andy Richter sitcom, and while funny it only aired 4 episodes.

Yeah that was the private investigator show right? It was solid enough, I hoped it would get a chance, but alas. Andy Richter Controls the Universe is still one of my favorite comedies from the 2000s, it had flaws but man the cast and writers made a lot of stuff work that lesser shows or writer would have ruined (hi family guy). At least he found a steady gig with Conan again in the end, not sure where everyone else asides from Paget Brewster ended up.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

Yeah, I re-listened to the Jingle All The Way 2 episode over the weekend to prep for this one, and it's amazing how different the character is. The swerve from "Ah'm just a reg-lu-lar everyday slob like y'all! Hyuk!" to "human cartoon character" is pretty bizarre. I bet Cars had a lot to do with it, though.

Speaking of which, I'm looking up the dates on his movies; Health Inspector was 2006, same year as Cars. Then it was Delta Farce in 2007, Witless Protection in 2008, then pretty much nothing until Cars 2 in 2011 and Jingle All The Way 2 in 2014. That is a weird career trajectory.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I re-listened to the Jingle All The Way 2 episode over the weekend to prep for this one, and it's amazing how different the character is. The swerve from "Ah'm just a reg-lu-lar everyday slob like y'all! Hyuk!" to "human cartoon character" is pretty bizarre. I bet Cars had a lot to do with it, though.

Speaking of which, I'm looking up the dates on his movies; Health Inspector was 2006, same year as Cars. Then it was Delta Farce in 2007, Witless Protection in 2008, then pretty much nothing until Cars 2 in 2011 and Jingle All The Way 2 in 2014. That is a weird career trajectory.

You're really selling 2013's A Madea Christmas short there.

Speaking of which, I can't remember, have the guys done a Tyler Perry movie yet?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gyges posted:

Speaking of which, I can't remember, have the guys done a Tyler Perry movie yet?

Sort of. They did Alex Cross which stars Tyler Perry, but have not done a Madea movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Seriously, holy gently caress, "DICK BEER" might be the hardest I have ever laughed at this podcast

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Sort of. They did Alex Cross which stars Tyler Perry, but have not done a Madea movie.

And I wouldn't expect them too either, because BAH GAWD KING that's a minefield and a half.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

You're really selling 2013's A Madea Christmas short there.
I did see that on the list, but I didn't really count it because I didn't think he had a large role in it and I didn't bother to check.

Really, I'm mostly amazed he hasn't been cranking out lovely unfunny direct-to-DVD comedies every six months of his career.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
So at this point WHM has accidentally predicted Jim Belushi in Twin Peaks and kind of Burton World (http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/25/tim-burton-bar-beetle-house)

What else?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tomahawk posted:

So at this point WHM has accidentally predicted Jim Belushi in Twin Peaks and kind of Burton World (http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/25/tim-burton-bar-beetle-house)

What else?

Is tempting fate the same as predicting it?

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Seriously, holy gently caress, "DICK BEER" might be the hardest I have ever laughed at this podcast

I was listening to this while my wife and I were packing up for a move. I was laughing waaaayyyy too hard when they were joking about Larry the Cable Guy suffering from cancer. My wife asked what I was laughing about, and she looked so disgusted and disappointed with me when I told her.

This was a fun episode, but who knew the thought of ol' Larry gettin' chemo would be one of my buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I appreciated the newspaper noises when they were looking stuff up on IMDB.