Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
There are way too many of these, and this is even after trimming. Y'all talk about games into mics too much.

Idle Thumbs (member of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
Idle Thumbs doesn’t follow any particular podcasting format, mainly covering the games they are playing and articles of discussion, be they news or not. Kickstarter brought them back in force, and they now comprise a "cabal" of shows, including the original Thumbs (weekly), Three Moves Ahead (also weekly, see below) and plenty of other 'casts. Easily the show I would recommend if you want anything beyond discussion of the prior week's gaming news.
Host: Chris Remo
Cast: Rotates, but commonly includes 2+ of the following: Jake Rodkin, Sean Vanaman, Nick Breckon, Steve Gaynor
Links: Site iTunes RSS Twitter

Idle Weekend (member of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
Less a general gaming show and usually more aimed at one topic per week, then going into media discussion/letters, this shorter show has a more intimate feeling to it and is actually a unique take and I dig it. Both Danielle and Rob have a lot of industry experience, the former creates small games for fun on the regular, and a lot of non-standard angles end up coming into play because of their different paths. Highly recommend, podcast find of 2016.
Hosts: Danielle Riendeau, Rob Zacny
Links: Site iTunes RSS

Three Moves Ahead (member of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
This show is about all manners of strategy games across all platforms. It's quite well-spoken, comes in at a good length per week, and is quite good at avoiding repeating itself in topics. Tends to have rotating guests with some frequency, and episodes can cover broad topics or game-specific discussion from week to week.
Host: Rob Zacny
Cast: Tom Chick, Bruce Geryk, Julian Murdoch, Troy Goodfellow

Tone Control/Designer Notes/Playscape: Los Angeles (members of the Idle Thumbs Cabal)
Ex-Thumb Steve Gaynor's bimonthly interview podcast (now retired)/Soren Johnson's monthly interview podcast (still ongoing)/Teddy Dief's weekly blitzkrieg of dev interviews in Los Angeles. All linked together because these fill a similar niche and it seemed silly to write separate descriptors for each.
Host: Steve Gaynor/Soren Johnson/Teddy Dief
Links: Site/Site/Site iTunes/iTunes/iTunes RSS/RSS/RSS

Watch Out For Fireballs! (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
Biweekly. Sort of like a video game book club: they announce the next podcast's topic, give you two weeks to play the game and give some input, and discuss their own experiences/quote some of the reader feedback for discussion. The hosts have been seen posting in these threads and solicit content from here too, so that's cool.
Hosts: Gary Butterfield and Kole Ross

Abject Suffering (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
Weekly thanks to a convenient Patreon. Sort of like the dark twin to Watch Out For Fireballs' in-depth discussion, Gary and Kole are 'assigned' lovely games by listeners which they must play for 30 minutes minimum before the show, and it tends to become more improv comedy than actual discussion a lot of the time. If you've ever wanted to hear grown men decide "You know something? Bad Rats is a secret success." this is the show for you.

Bonfireside Chat (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
A sister podcast to the above Watch Out For Fireballs, focused on the Souls games, their predecessors the King's Field games, and a variety of other Souls-esque topics between major releases. Almost a book-club style show where they'll cover a stage or two each episode and hope to get listeners playing along/discussing it for themselves.

The Level (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
A general video game show, covering current games, news, and general discussion topics with audience participation. Hosted by forums user Song for the Deaf.
Hosts: Kole Ross, Ben Merkel, Dennis Furia, and David Moneysmith

Check It Out, Comrade! (member of the Duckfeed.tv network)
If The Level and WoFF had a weird, inbred cousin and it ended up with some kind of genetic disorder that gave it laser-focus on indie games, this would be a David Cronenberg film. But it's actually a podcast and it's a lot less oozy and disgusting than I made it sound!
Hosts: Nick Glauber and Gary Butterfield

Retronauts (affiliate of USGamer)
The latest incarnation of the podcast that survived 1UP's collapse, Retronauts focuses on... well, classic games. If none of the hosts know enough about a topic from experience, you'd better believe they'll research it or find someone who CAN speak to the subject. I absolutely adore this and I'm going to stop gushing now. Give it a try if you never have and enjoy looking down memory lane/learning about something that might have slipped past you years back. Probably due to their hosts' working there, is now an associate of USGamer.
Hosts: Jeremy Parish, TV's Bob Mackey

Axe of the Blood God (affiliate of USGamer)
Weekly RPG-focused podcast. The successor to prior shows Roleplayer's Realm (RIP Gamepro) and Active Time Babble (RIP 1UP), Kat Bailey goes for the hat trick in reviving the show under a new name at a new site. I pray to god this one lasts, because we have yet to get Bob Mackey to christen it by shooting Kingdom Hearts in the kneecaps verbally.
Host: Kat Bailey

Video Games Hot Dog
Humorous podcast from the creators of Kingdom of Loathing. Includes some discussion of board games, puzzles and IF (interactive fiction/text adventures). The Monkees to Idle Thumbs' Beatles. Occasionally gets splashed with cold water and becomes Video Games Taco.
Hosts: Zack Johnson, Kevin Simmons, Riff Conner, Jim Crawford

The Crate & Crowbar
A PC-centric podcast which is spoken highly of and usually a lot more laser-focused than most of these. Now with real boy audio equipment! It has some fantastic people on it but I've never gotten into it because it can be dry.
Cast: Tom Francis, Philippa (Pip) Warr, Tom Senior, Chris Thursten

Giant Bombcast
The Giant Bomb crew discuss what they are playing, preview impressions of upcoming titles, gaming news, and wild tangents. what the actual gently caress, Dan Ryckert. For the most part you may as well take Bombcast chat into the Giant Bomb thread in Rapidly Going Deaf.
Host: Ryan Davis Jeff Gerstmann Brad Shoemaker
Cast: Drew Scanlon, Dan Ryckert, Jason Oestreicher

Giant Beastcast
Giant Bomb East (or "Giant BEast") consists of a bunch of people who are on the opposite coast of Giant Bomb. A tighter-paced cousin with a lot of similarly insane tangents to the Bombcast (I guess? I don't listen to the Bombcast), and a trio of grown men with solidly diverging takes on the world of games and/or what to do with the Coleco license in this modern day and age.
Cast: Vinny Caravella, Alex Navarro, Austin Walker

Super Best Friendcast
Super Best Friendcast is the podcast for the Super Best Friends let's play group AKA TheSw1tcher on Youtube or Two Best Friends Play for their machinima origins. They talk about general game news and also pretty much whatever they feel like, usually professional wrestling, anime, and literally anything involving Street Fighter. Listen in to this group of idiots as they spend 3 hours discussing "Dragonball Z fanfiction", record from a construction site, and name their podcasts poo poo like "Aryan Resurrection" and "Slave Syrup".
Cast: Matt "The CEO, The Boss, The J-cup Lover", Patrick "FuccBoivin", Woolie "The Liar", Liam "The Devil's Advocate"
Links: Site

General discussion shows about games.

Isometric
Hosted by three women who proceeded to become yet another set of ex-5by5 refugees within the first year of their show existing, Isometric focuses on talking about video gaming from a different perspective. Includes lots of in jokes about hand turkeys and Georgia Dow being an incredibly polite Canadian serial killer, and on some weeks a lot of really frustrated laughing.
Cast: Brianna Wu, Maddy Myers, Georgia Dow, and Steve Lubitz

:norway: RadCrew Show Note: This podcast is NOT in English.
Grab some Lutefisk, and relax on your nearest fjord as fellow goon Cellophane S brings you all the gaming news you need with a Scandinavian twist.
Cast: Cellophane S and I’m guessing a bunch of Norwegian dudes.
Links: Site RSS

Gamers With Jobs Conference Call
Discussion of current games, news, boardgames, etc. Your bog-standard gaming podcast, hopefully you like the people in question. Done via Skype, so that's weird for some folks.
Host: Shawn Andrich
Cast: Sean Sands, Julian Murdoch, Cory Banks, Robert Borges

One Life Left
UK show. It's run by an independent radio station in London (Resonance FM) and is run like a radio show, not a podcast. It's hard to pin down exactly what that means, but there's a different feel. They have sweet commissioned chip tunes interspersed throughout, if you're into that sort of thing, and run radio style news sections and interviews.
Hosts: Ste Curran, Simon Byron, Ann Scantlebury

PC Gamer UK Podcast
Once upon a time, the above show "Crate & Crowbar" was from the British arm of magazine PC Gamer's staff. Then it became its own thing, and PCG's podcast became a pile of wank by yanks. Don't go look it up, it blew. But now there's a new incarnation of this, so we'll all give it a shot and hope for the best!

Easy Allies Podcast
Strictly on-topic (but still funny) one hour gaming news podcast, the successor to GT Time from the former Gametrailers crew. High production values, smart, snappy discussion, corrections, listener questions, and the all important weekly bets.
Hosts: Kyle Bosman, Brandon Jones + rotating Michael Huber, Ian Hinck, Ben Moore, Bradley Ellis, Daniel Bloodworth
Links: Youtube Site iTunes

Frame Trap
Longer form discussions about what the Easy Allies crew have been playing recently and wider musings about industry goings on in a looser, longer form atmosphere. Never let your guard down, because HOTAKE could be invoked at any moment. If you hate Battleborn, you'll love this podcast.
Hosts: Ben Moore + rotating Kyle Bosman, Brandon Jones, Michael Huber, Ian Hinck, Bradley Ellis, Daniel Bloodworth

These podcasts focus on a specific topic, system, genre, and/or do not follow the traditional format.

Chrontendo/Chronturbo/Chronsega
Video podcast updating sporadically, focusing on one man ("Dr. Sparkle") playing every game from the 8-bit era (on the Famicom/NES, Turbo-Grafx, and Sega Master System, specifically) in release order. It's quite well-produced and researched and worth giving a try. Play the ChronX drinking game: buy a 6-pack in January and open a bottle every time an episode releases. See if you've finished the 6-pack by year's end.
Host: Dr. Sparkle

Roguelike Radio
A podcast about roguelikes. The regular attendees are pretty much all roguelike developers, but try to involve members of the wider roguelike community if talking about a specific game. Have also interviewed some of the bigger names in roguelikes (such as Glen Wichmann) and "roguelites" (such as Edmund McMillen and Derek Yu).
Host: Ryan Boyd.

8-4 Play
Biweekly. 8-4 is a localization company bringing games from Japan to Western Markets. They also do a podcast covering games, and Japan. Tend to lean a little more guarded on some topics because it's still their job and they work with a lot of people being discussed in the news.
Cast: Mark MacDonald, John Ricciardi, Hiroko Minamoto

Vidjagame Apocalypse
A comedic show about video games. Every episode begins with a "top 5" list of some absurd variety, and then spins off into discussion of recent news or whatever comes to mind from the cast. While I recommend listening for the list segment each week, with its interesting research, I will be the first to admit I'll drop off of this one at the break most weeks unless they have an interesting guest.
Host: Mikel Reparaz
Links: Site RSS Twitter

Game Design Roundtable
Discussion of principles and decisions gone into (a lot of tabletop) games with the creators/creative teams behind them. Rather in-depth but still listenable.

Hyperbolic Game Chamber
Operates on the core conceit of "Because game plots are too crazy not to talk about". Doesn't focus exclusively on bad titles, but instead chooses to just spotlight one title per week with an utterly batshit plot to recount, with the two hosts generally covering branching narratives by dividing the work between themselves. This is one of the most challenging podcasts to actually listen to due to a really random update schedule, no feed, no centralized website, and most of their social media presence being run by some third guy apparently. It's good, but god does it make it a challenge to enjoy it.
Cast: "Jared" and "Greg", if there's a more in-depth name anywhere I never found/heard it

The Kerbal Podcast
It discusses Kerbal Space Program. You immediately know if you want that or not, let's be fair.

VGMpire
From the same network as Vidjagame Apocalypse, greatly resembles 1UP's The Sound Test, wherein the works of a composer or series would come up. Lacks the soothing "Quiet Storm" DJ voice of Ray Barnholt, but don't let that stop you from trying it out.

Top Score
It's a weekly show where host Emily Reese interviews people involved in composing the music for video games. It's a bit public radio-y, for obvious reasons, but it's an interesting look at a side of games that doesn't get much real attention. More recent episodes have been interviews with Winifred Phillips, composer for Little Big Planet 3 and Assassin's Creed Liberation; Jason Graves for Evolve and The Order; Peter McConnell for Grim Fandango and Hearthstone; Jukio Kallio for Luftrausers; and Ben Prunty for FTL.
Cast: Emily Reese and weekly guest
Links: Twitter Site iTunes RSS

Game Audio Podcast
Focuses on interviews with creators and technicians in game audio. Sometimes episodes will be on a topic of the field, rather than just a specific soundtrack (unless, again, it's an interview week).

Laser Time
Founder of the network that brought you Vidjagame Apocalypse, another excellent show (which occasionally feature's TV's Bob Mackey of USGamer/Retronauts). Not a games podcast, it's more general pop-culture based, with each episode having a theme (sometimes game-related), and is actually a quality show I cannot recommend enough.

Talking Simpsons
Bob Mackey hosts this and it's really well-done. An episode by episode look at the Simpsons, in chronological order, with discussion of what was happening that week in pop culture and the world for context. Leads well into...
Links: Site iTunes

Thirty-Twenty-Ten
Same network as the last two, this is the "that week in pop culture" segment from Talking Simpsons taken to a well-researched extreme, going back to the current week in time an obvious 30, 20, and 10 years into the past. Merits mention because among the topics are video games and the evolution of the medium/its chronicled history over those gaps.

No More Whoppers
Features Ray Barnholt and Alex Fraioli. Not solidly gaming-related, more of a comedy show from two friends (think a My Brother, My Brother and Me-type show). Since Ray is an ex-1UP writer and still a Retronauts alumni (where they occasionally promo this for him) it is totally staying in the OP.

Retsutalk
A podcast about whatever the hell they come up with from episode to episode run by forum users Slowbeef and Diabetus, who regularly pull in other SA Let's Players/internet folks as guests to discuss their content and to have general video game discussions. Topics have included chatting with other SA/Let's Play folks, random games one or the other are exceedingly fond of, or Breaking Bad. Somehow puts out less episodes than Chrontendo.

Co-Optional
I guess this is TotalBiscuit? I need to fill this in later.
YouTube Playlist

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Pretty happy that Bonfireside Chat is gonna be starting its proper Dark Souls 3 season this Sunday. Always love hearing their opinions on the Souls series.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
first page posting to put in the Co-Optional Podcast, for if you are of the subset of Goons who does not have a deep hatred of TotalBiscuit for whatever reason, his podcast is actually pretty alright
YouTube Playlist

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
goons only don't like totalbiscuit because SA is 90% story gamers (besides nintendo discussion), otherwise they would be glad for his videos since he is one of the very few guys on youtube that really care for gameplay, options menu, etc.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
It's not really a podcast but ross from the acursed farms channel is now talking to fans for an hour and it's really great to hear his opinions on the industry. He is also trying to raise awareness about online-drm'd games that are constantly getting killed forever without a chance of ever playing them again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCJ6KZTTnkE-s2XFJJmoTAkw

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Remind me to do a summary for sbfc and I'll get it done once pax east is over.

program666 posted:

goons only don't like totalbiscuit because SA is 90% story gamers (besides nintendo discussion), otherwise they would be glad for his videos since he is one of the very few guys on youtube that really care for gameplay, options menu, etc.
That's horseshit, people don't like tb because he's a dick and a GGer

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
Amazing to still be mentioned in these threads. EDIT: We're also over on Pressfire.no now, a major :norway: gaming site.

I'm really fond of Vidjagame Apocalypse these days. Heidi "Zerochan" Kemps has been on it a lot lately, as well as Bob Mackey, and it's always funny and interesting.

Cellophane S fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 22, 2016

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Isometric is done, by the way, they started a new podcast, called Disruption.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Cool new thread. Heres some nitpicking: Crate & Crowbar fixed their audio situation and just recently dropped Marsh and Graham, with Philippa (Pip) Warr starting on this week.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Glad we got a head-start on talking about TB as a person, that was my favorite part of the last thread.

The Top Score podcast might be dead BTW. It hasn't updated since August of last year. I'm still a bit backlogged on that one so I don't know what happened or if it just ended. It's still worth the mention you gave it in the OP though, I don't think anything else fill that particular VGM-shaped hole.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

I recommend everyone listen to Thirty-Twenty-Ten. It's good, and occasionally fascinating to see what shows, movies, etc. have been forgotten by the internet and aren't archived anywhere. It's really good, especially if you enjoy any other Lasertime show.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah the audio on the crate and crowbar is very good now and I also think we should have a voluntary agreement to not discuss total biscuit at all.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Remember what happened last time the thread talked about Totalbiscuit? He showed up in the thread.

Do you want ants Totalbiscuits? Because that's how you get Totalbiscuits.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Chucktesla posted:

I recommend everyone listen to Thirty-Twenty-Ten. It's good, and occasionally fascinating to see what shows, movies, etc. have been forgotten by the internet and aren't archived anywhere. It's really good, especially if you enjoy any other Lasertime show.

100% agreed, Thirty Twenty Ten is a fantastic show. Lot of research that goes into it. I love the Laser Time gang!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Chucktesla posted:

Definitely. IMO Thirty-Twenty-Ten is the best Lasertime show by some margin.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Stan Taylor posted:

with Philippa (Pip) Warr starting on this week.

FINALLY

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

It's a cracking opening to the podcast, too.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I've only listened to the first few episodes of Crate & Crowbar, is Philippa Warr really that good on it? I can't stand her writing on Rock Paper Shotgun at all so I kind of cringed when I first learned I had her to look forward to.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Super Best Friendcast is the podcast for the Super Best Friends let's play group AKA TheSw1tcher on Youtube or Two Best Friends Play for their machinima origins. They talk about general game news and also pretty much whatever they feel like, usually professional wrestling, anime, and literally anything involving Street Fighter. Listen in to this group of idiots as they spend 3 hours discussing "Dragonball Z fanfiction", record from a construction site, and name their podcasts poo poo like "Aryan Resurrection" and "Slave Syrup".
Cast: Matt "The CEO, The Boss, The J-cup Lover", Patrick "FuccBoivin", Woolie "The Liar", Liam "The Devil's Advocate"

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 22, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm extremely outraged at the anti-horde sentiment expressed in the war3 episode of woff

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm extremely outraged at the anti-horde sentiment expressed in the war3 episode of woff

I never had you pegged for a Horde-Head. Huh.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm half-kidding and it's also a product of both enjoying their mechanics in multiplayer and wow stuff, so things that the episode wasn't rly about

Their heroes are fun

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

OP should probably include the Easy Allies Podcast, and their bi-weekly companion Frame Trap:

Easy Allies Podcast
Strictly on-topic (but still funny) one hour gaming news podcast, the successor to GT Time from the former Gametrailers crew. High production values, smart, snappy discussion, corrections, listener questions, and the all important weekly bets.
Hosts: Kyle Bosman, Brandon Jones + rotating Michael Huber, Ian Hinck, Ben Moore, Bradley Ellis, Daniel Bloodworth

Frame Trap
Longer form discussions about what the Easy Allies crew have been playing recently and wider musings about industry goings on in a looser, longer form atmosphere. Never let your guard down, because HOTAKE could be invoked at any moment. If you hate Battleborn, you'll love this podcast.
Hosts: Ben Moore + rotating Kyle Bosman, Brandon Jones, Michael Huber, Ian Hinck, Bradley Ellis, Daniel Bloodworth

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh and for a grim portent: when it comes to Blizzard games, Warcraft 3 is about as compelling as storytelling gets. Broad and dumb but with some neat edges and CG cutscenes that are compelling and fun.

I'd love for you guys to cover Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 just to hear you talk about the writing because woof

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Oh and for a grim portent: when it comes to Blizzard games, Warcraft 3 is about as compelling as storytelling gets. Broad and dumb but with some neat edges and CG cutscenes that are compelling and fun.

I'd love for you guys to cover Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 just to hear you talk about the writing because woof

Starcraft 2: "Didn't we cover all of this in the Warcraft 3 episode? Like beat for beat?"

Diablo 3: "Oh look another Blizzard title where someone gets corrupted. Must be a day that ends in Y."

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I listened to Idle Weekend for the first time today and the first 45 minutes or so were petty good. I liked how focused the episode was. Even the reader mail seemed more just a jumping off point for interesting discussions. The last section about what they're watching or whatever, I could leave, but that may just be because I'm not bought into the personalities yet.

Note about the OP: the beastcast also has that jeff backalar (i don't know how to spell it and am not looking it up) fellow on pretty much every episode. They started by calling him a guest rather than a regular, but I think he's just a regular. On that note the Beastcast is pretty good, much better than the main show.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Diablo 3 is so aggressively dumb. When I first got it, I got mad at few people for skipping the initial cutscenes when Leah is trying to plot device her way into whatever, but woof... the cutscene skippers had the right idea.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I enjoyed Starcraft 1's story. I haven't played the campaign for that game in 10 years so I have no idea how well it holds up, though.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Starcraft 1's story was basic but okay. The prophecy stuff only came in the final part of the main game, so that was nice. Corruption: same thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

sirtommygunn posted:

Cast: Matt "The CEO, The Boss, The J-cup Lover", Patrick "FuckBoivin", Woolie "The Liar", Liam "The Devil's Advocate"
Yeah that works

Maybe liam should be the devil's advokawaiite. Also, it's fuccboivin, get it right!

And they have the best titles, they're so good that they get them disqualified from podcast award shows because the shows don't want to read them out loud :v:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

I've only listened to the first few episodes of Crate & Crowbar, is Philippa Warr really that good on it? I can't stand her writing on Rock Paper Shotgun at all so I kind of cringed when I first learned I had her to look forward to.

She's only just joined the cast, and if I'm honest it's a weird vibe right now as she doesn't bring a lot of PC-specific knowledge and there's this "her boyfriend makes fun of her constantly" thing going on as she fumbles her way through the episode, but once she's on a topic she's confident with she has plenty of good things to say. Way less whimsical than on RPS and so far more interesting than on Daft Souls.

Phone posted:

Diablo 3 is so aggressively dumb. When I first got it, I got mad at few people for skipping the initial cutscenes when Leah is trying to plot device her way into whatever, but woof... the cutscene skippers had the right idea.

On the latest C&C there was a question about feeling glee over putting the boot into bad games, and all 3 hosts said they didn't and had a perspective on games that was about the team behind it being real people working under difficult conditions, and while I definitely think they're good people for thinking this I absolutely would've gone off the deep end when it comes to exactly things like D3's story (and SC2's). Blizzard are loving bad at this and they deserve criticism, and I enjoy listening to that level of criticism.

Marsh Davies will be sorely missed for his ability to effectively skewer a game without being a massive dick about it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Thirsty Dog posted:

She's only just joined the cast, and if I'm honest it's a weird vibe right now as she doesn't bring a lot of PC-specific knowledge and there's this "her boyfriend makes fun of her constantly" thing going on as she fumbles her way through the episode, but once she's on a topic she's confident with she has plenty of good things to say. Way less whimsical than on RPS and so far more interesting than on Daft Souls.

She's guested multiple times before and was a fuckin delight every time.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah that works

Maybe liam should be the devil's advokawaiite. Also, it's fuccboivin, get it right!

And they have the best titles, they're so good that they get them disqualified from podcast award shows because the shows don't want to read them out loud :v:

"Black Panther's debut was running from the cops"
"That one's not so bad"
"Welcome to Patschwitz"
"That one's not good"
"Crowdfund the Fourth Reich"
"THAT one's bad"

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Lone Goat posted:

That's good to hear then. I've actually nearly caught up on all my podcasts so I might start going through the archives of the Crate & Crowbar, especially since I'm getting a new computer soon and it'll remind me of any cool games I might have forgotten about because they came out when I had a garbage one.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Yes, but this one felt very different.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Mods, please change my name to "A Brutalist Palazzo".

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

program666 posted:

No, we didn't like him well before that. His posting history here is a good indicator as to why if you dig around in the archives. I tried for a while, but the overreactions, the hubris (both real and in jest), and the lashing out eventually make it impossible.

I do think he works well in the context of his podcast, though. He and Dodger are always entertaining, and the guests are almost always interesting. If anything, I think Jesse Cox is the weak link that eventually drags the momentum of the show down.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I personally just don't like his voice/the way he talks but yeah he's pretty drat goony and always has been

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
"story gamers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

program666 posted:

I think after Ryan Davis people just don't want to listen to another podcast where the host dies.