Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Back in 2001 or whatever, I decided to add vB code that would automatically post an "image macro," which is what the KIDS THESE DAYS call "memes." As far as I know, we were one of the first forums, if not the first forum, to do this. This makes me very sad and ashamed to admit there's a possibility we are responsible for the wasteland of internet meme poo poo we currently live in, but hey, here's all the original ones that kicked everything off (as far as I know):

I disabled the ability to post these image macros shortly thereafter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

pokey the penguin :buddy:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Penguin rulez

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Image timeline

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Who's Jake Simpson?

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
Ah yes, 'image macros'. . .

*leans back, lights ivory pipe, lowers the lights.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Rando posted:

Who's Jake Simpson?

I don't know but now I crave his approval

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

No. 6 posted:

Image timeline
No.
[img-timeline]

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I disagree

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Uwe Boll did nothing wrong.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

probably need to add this to all social media to forestall the imminent internet wars

Nut to Butt fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 22, 2016

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

As an old goon I think it's so great that so many of us are still alive.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

You missed a golden opportunity to give us the goatman, tax-man

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Don't worry lowtax is probably going to make all kinds of weird and incoherent posts now that the baby is here and he is no longer allowed to sleep.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

2001 was an exceptional vintage.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

i am harry posted:

2001 was an exceptional vintage.

very dank

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
as i recall, didn't you include these image macros in the hopes that the forums would be so flooded with garbage that people might finally be convinced to stop using them?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
ignore this - test

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
wow I remember thinking that the early internet was somehow superior to the current lovely internet - where moms with facebook get to make the macros. o well but I hate being wrong

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
gently caress OFF TASTY

^^^^ my favorite

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

wow I remember thinking that the early internet was somehow superior to the current lovely internet - where moms with facebook get to make the macros. o well but I hate being wrong

Some days I miss the old internet. Then I remember that I was young and stupid, so it would probably have sucked if I was old and stupid back then.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
fiestacat.jphg

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Some days I miss the old internet. Then I remember that I was young and stupid, so it would probably have sucked if I was old and stupid back then.

I mean the alternative was life without an internet entirely and the boredom that entails, so I'm pretty sure it still owned for old people who got on board

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
YES, PLEASE

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LGD posted:

I mean the alternative was life without an internet entirely and the boredom that entails, so I'm pretty sure it still owned for old people who got on board

What did people do before the internet anyway? REad books? Play Sega Genesis?

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I once showed my friend what I believed to be a meme and he corrected me immediately and said it was actually an image macro.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i hate meme macros

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Iron Crowned posted:

They made these but then had no one to share them with.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

When I was a pup the fact that a computer was displaying color photos and sometimes making noises was entirely mind blowing and when those things were even mildly funny that automatically made it hilarious.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

pr0k posted:

No.
[img-timeline]

I remember when posting this would get you banned

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I was a child and cannot really remember

I think I might have interacted with people more???

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

pr0k posted:

No.
[img-timeline]

So going by the proportions there's only about 800 years between the Stone Age and Jesus, and the Big Bang was about 300 years before that?

THAT'S WRONG, there needs to be another 3000ish yrs in there somewhere. :colbert:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

The times, they are a changin'.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Phobic Nest posted:

So going by the proportions there's only about 800 years between the Stone Age and Jesus, and the Big Bang was about 300 years before that?

THAT'S WRONG, there needs to be another 3000ish yrs in there somewhere. :colbert:

prove it bozo

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Ok

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Lowtax posted:

Back in 2001 or whatever, I decided to add vB code that would automatically post an "image macro," which is what the KIDS THESE DAYS call "memes." As far as I know, we were one of the first forums, if not the first forum, to do this. This makes me very sad and ashamed to admit there's a possibility we are responsible for the wasteland of internet meme poo poo we currently live in, but hey, here's all the original ones that kicked everything off (as far as I know):

I disabled the ability to post these image macros shortly thereafter.

thank you richard

this brought back good memories :respek:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Old Man Lowtax getting nostalgic for the old days. I miss them too. The internet is totally different now and I don't understand it. Kids today seem weird and alien to me, but way less libertarian and so far better than the kids I knew.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LGD posted:

I was a child and cannot really remember

I think I might have interacted with people more???

I didn't have friends then either, so probably not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

• Locked thread