Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

El Tortuga posted:

I'm sorry the creators of Breaking Bad don't write for PPG, but it seems like this children's cartoon is being held to impossibly high standards.

Not really? You can have a remake be new, different and still good. The original had a more frantic energy, and a really clear idea of what it was. I don't think the standards are impossibly high, but the complaints about it aren't without merit.

I mean, we're on our third incarnation of Ninja Turtles. The second one from earlier in the 2000's went to crap but it took a while to get there and was pretty fun. The new one had some rough parts in the middle, but has been pretty consistent with the writing and tone. They're both vastly different from the first one. (Even the small movie they did between the Original and the 00's one where they turtles meet and team up was fun.)

Some of the Scooby Doo's have been more enjoyable than others, depending on the writing. The quality of Batman cartoons generally go up and down too, most people didn't like The Batman, or Beware the Bat, which tended to go after the similar kind of batman that Timm's series did, but in general people really enjoyed Brave and the Bold which is as quirky Silver Age as you can get.

Something can get re-done, and with a good quality of writing, people won't complain. The old will always be compared to the new, so it either has to carve out it's own thing, or be really concise with it's own voice and tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Don't wanna necro the Gravity Falls thread for this, but Neil Cicierega posted a song he recorded for Weirdmageddon that went unused.

http://neilblr.com/post/142982667678

It's pretty good.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

PicklePants posted:

Some of the Scooby Doo's have been more enjoyable than others, depending on the writing.
Mystery Inc. is apparently a classic, which ones are the good ones beside this one?

Also, watching Mystery Inc., it really gives me a Gravity Falls vibe, with the kids hunting for mysteries, the sheriff being stupid and useless, the episodic plots inserted into a greater plot, etc. I'm guessing it was easier for Disney to pick up Gravity Falls when the concept had already been proved.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Mojo Jojo no longer talks fast and repeats himself

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I take back any defense I had made of the new series.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Blasphemy. Heresy. Crime of all crimes.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Also the animation has so many blatant and obvious errors it's not even funny.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pakled posted:

Don't wanna necro the Gravity Falls thread for this, but Neil Cicierega posted a song he recorded for Weirdmageddon that went unused.

http://neilblr.com/post/142982667678

It's pretty good.

Depends on if goons still irrationally hate him based on a helldump thread he trolled his way through ten years ago.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Also the animation has so many blatant and obvious errors it's not even funny.

please show them off.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

raditts posted:

Depends on if goons still irrationally hate him based on a helldump thread he trolled his way through ten years ago.

Neil is still a bit weird, but it's a god drat shame that Bill never got a proper Disney villian song.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Xelkelvos posted:

please show them off.

watch the leash

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Please...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EioTwSMS0-k

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

please show them off.

Here's a couple from what I guess is the newest episode. I haven't been watched the reboot at all because I know it wouldn't appeal to me, but I'm pretty impressed with the number of animation errors I keep seeing people share. Really feels like a classic cartoon.

The Professor's date's linework clips through the doorway as she leaves
https://a.pomf.cat/mnduni.webm

The cloud layer rotates 90 degrees as the building is destroyed, and the color overlay keeps abruptly disappearing and reappearing
https://a.pomf.cat/dtttfm.webm

Buttercup is animated speaking with Blossom's voice, and Blossom's hair is missing
https://a.pomf.cat/ravfgl.webm

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Basically there are many reasons to dislike the reboot and a good chunk of them have nothing to do with it tumblr at all.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

X_Toad posted:

Mystery Inc. is apparently a classic, which ones are the good ones beside this one?

Also, watching Mystery Inc., it really gives me a Gravity Falls vibe, with the kids hunting for mysteries, the sheriff being stupid and useless, the episodic plots inserted into a greater plot, etc. I'm guessing it was easier for Disney to pick up Gravity Falls when the concept had already been proved.

Mystery Inc is undoubtedly the best you're going to get so far.

Some of the early from late 90's are good (Zombie Island and Witches Ghost) they kind of start going down hill after that, when you start getting one a year. The WWE one and the KISS ones are terrible, the KISS one feels like a horrible fever dream, where KISS are super hero aliens with actual magical/hero powers, and they fly around between dimensions of a guitar spaceship.

I have a great fondness for Ghoul School, and Boo Brothers, from the older style.

I also love 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo. You get Vincent Price doing the voice of Vincent Van Ghoul, which is awesome, even though you get Scrappy, who got toned down if I remember correctly, but they added in Flim Flam. Scooby unlocks a box of deadly ghosts held in Vincent Van Ghoul's possession, and must go on a hunt with Daphne to catch them. It breaks the traditional mold of Scooby. Real Ghosts. End of the world stuff. It was a nice shake up.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My favorite Scooby Doo series are A Pup Named Scooby Doo and Mystery Inc.

Also I liked the WWE one, it didn't take itself seriously. The Live Action CN Made for TV films are better than the big budget live action movies, in my opinion, but the CGI for Scooby is awful, so it balances out. The rest of the specials are on a hit or miss basis. I loved the opening for Frankencreepy, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfPCYsE_Xaw

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PicklePants posted:

Some of the early from late 90's are good (Zombie Island and Witches Ghost) they kind of start going down hill after that, when you start getting one a year. The WWE one and the KISS ones are terrible, the KISS one feels like a horrible fever dream, where KISS are super hero aliens with actual magical/hero powers, and they fly around between dimensions of a guitar spaceship.

I have a great fondness for Ghoul School, and Boo Brothers, from the older style.

I also love 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo. You get Vincent Price doing the voice of Vincent Van Ghoul, which is awesome, even though you get Scrappy, who got toned down if I remember correctly, but they added in Flim Flam. Scooby unlocks a box of deadly ghosts held in Vincent Van Ghoul's possession, and must go on a hunt with Daphne to catch them. It breaks the traditional mold of Scooby. Real Ghosts. End of the world stuff. It was a nice shake up.

2014's Frankencreepy was a pretty good DTV, I saw it once on Cartoon Network on like a Sunday morning and it wasn't quite like Mystery Inc. but seemed to have a lot of the same charm.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PicklePants posted:

You forgot about Reluctant Werewolf, how could forget to mention that one?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gruckles posted:

You must have way better eyes than me, since I looked at that video a few times now and I can't find any clipping. In fact they specifically animated how she moves her left hand around the door.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Air is lava! posted:

You must have way better eyes than me, since I looked at that video a few times now and I can't find any clipping. In fact they specifically animated how she moves her left hand around the door.

You're looking at the wrong side, right before the door closes and she disappears her lines are on the blue doorframe. Admittedly it's really brief.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Air is lava! posted:

It took forever for me to notice it as well until I slowed it down. It's not the door she clips through, but the doorframe, and it's actually pretty bad after finally seeing it. That being said it goes by really fast

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Gruckles posted:

Here's a couple from what I guess is the newest episode. I haven't been watched the reboot at all because I know it wouldn't appeal to me, but I'm pretty impressed with the number of animation errors I keep seeing people share. Really feels like a classic cartoon.

The cloud layer rotates 90 degrees as the building is destroyed, and the color overlay keeps abruptly disappearing and reappearing
https://a.pomf.cat/dtttfm.webm

Buttercup is animated speaking with Blossom's voice, and Blossom's hair is missing
https://a.pomf.cat/ravfgl.webm

Jeez, some of these errors are really blatant. Everything about this show feels so low-effort and cheaply made, much more so than any of the other stuff coming out of CN Studios. Were they in a rush to blaze through production and get it on the air?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Senerio posted:

A Pup Named Scooby Doo

I'm rather sad there wasn't a Red Herring reference in Mystery Inc. Maybe to see Mystery Inc Fred go full tinfoil over Red who's trying to turn his life around and doesn't even live in the same state as them anymore. Crazy innawoods full-bearded Freddy calling Red in the middle of the night to tell him he knows what he did would be best.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MrSlam posted:

I'm rather sad there wasn't a Red Herring reference in Mystery Inc. Maybe to see Mystery Inc Fred go full tinfoil over Red who's trying to turn his life around and doesn't even live in the same state as them anymore. Crazy innawoods full-bearded Freddy calling Red in the middle of the night to tell him he knows what he did would be best.

Technically Red Herring has a background cameo in one episode, but it is a shame that he didn't get a proper appearance, similarly how we didn't get any references to the Red Shirt Shaggy era outside of Vincent Van Ghoul

Also considering how popular Monster High is, kinda surprising that they haven't tried to do a modern version of Ghoul School

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I really wanted to like the original Ghoul School, because how can you go wrong with a concept like "Scooby and Shaggy teach PE to children of famous monsters" but the truth is the animation is too cheap and the bloody puns are too many to actually enjoy it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The main thing that annoys me with the new PPF is just every episode ending with a forced lesson and almost every elusive ending with the girls apologizing. It would feel lame at the best of times but having it against TTG, which pretty aggressively pushes the opposite, that element just seems like an unnecessary relic that wasn't even present as strongly in the original to begin with.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

drrockso20 posted:

Technically Red Herring has a background cameo in one episode, but it is a shame that he didn't get a proper appearance, similarly how we didn't get any references to the Red Shirt Shaggy era outside of Vincent Van Ghoul

Also considering how popular Monster High is, kinda surprising that they haven't tried to do a modern version of Ghoul School

They did a quick opening gag about Flim Flam and Scrappy, but nothing from the Reluctant Werewolf, Boo Brothers, or Ghoul School. Again, Sadie Mae Scroggins would've made for a great character as Shaggy's insane yandere ex-girlfriend (who he never dated). Sad wasted potential. But as for Ghoul School, there's enough art of a potential series for it floating around on 4chan, particularly of Phantasma, and particularly around Halloween on /co/. With all the mega-corporations out there it wouldn't surprise me if Ghoul School and Monster High are owned by the same company.

Also, there's a cute new Mickey Short out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDhdMF0qZI8

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

mycot posted:

You're looking at the wrong side, right before the door closes and she disappears her lines are on the blue doorframe. Admittedly it's really brief.

It's so blatantly bad that it feels like it had to somehow be intentional.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

Jeez, some of these errors are really blatant. Everything about this show feels so low-effort and cheaply made, much more so than any of the other stuff coming out of CN Studios. Were they in a rush to blaze through production and get it on the air?

That's the only reason I can give. Whoever was supposed to check and/or fix the cuts didn't and just sent it forward.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Here I thought that they were just going for a certain aesthetic that didn't work at all, I didn't think of how incompetence might factor into things.

A Pup Named Scooby Doo was probably the series that had the most fun with things before Mystery Inc came along, and if you want to see what made Scooby Doo stick in people's minds, there's the New Scooby Movies (neither new, nor movies), although if you don't care for 70s cameos and old Hannah Barbara, you might as well not bother. What's New Scooby Doo was okay too. It basically took the lead that the "monsters are real" movies had and ran with it. It was probably the most mystery-focused of all the Scooby Doo series, with proper red herrings and actual clues.

There was an entire period where Shaggy and Scooby ditched the rest of the gang along with the whole premise of mysteries and just dealt with movie monsters and the supernatural, and people tend to look badly upon that for whatever reason. I never really saw what was so bad about Scrappy Doo, but they also generally didn't air reruns of that period of Scooby Doo when I was a kid, so I never really watched much of it. Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island was actually were a nice segue out of that period. They show what the rest of the gang was up to during that time, Velma's bookstore and Daphne's talk show, and presumably Shaggy's girlfriend dumped him for never being able to hold down a job. Great animation too.

I love going through the history of Scooby Doo, because it ends up being so stupidly complex for such a simple concept being rehashed again and again. I'm kind of getting excited for that Hannah Barbara cinematic universe, since there's so much dumb lore to mine.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MrSlam posted:

They did a quick opening gag about Flim Flam and Scrappy, but nothing from the Reluctant Werewolf, Boo Brothers, or Ghoul School. Again, Sadie Mae Scroggins would've made for a great character as Shaggy's insane yandere ex-girlfriend (who he never dated). Sad wasted potential. But as for Ghoul School, there's enough art of a potential series for it floating around on 4chan, particularly of Phantasma, and particularly around Halloween on /co/. With all the mega-corporations out there it wouldn't surprise me if Ghoul School and Monster High are owned by the same company.

Also, there's a cute new Mickey Short out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDhdMF0qZI8

Yeah I'm aware of how much /co/ loves Ghoul School(I spend a lot of time on that board), one of the regulars in those threads, fella by the name of Toonspew is actually working on a serious pitch for a Ghoul School reboot, complete with a Series Bible and communicating with people who worked on the original movie for both feedback and information about how the original came together in the first place

I'll admit I've fiddled with some ideas of my own on the subject, although mine is just for fun, and is a lot more Toyetic in nature, as one of the constraints I gave myself was it had to center around a hypothetical toyline to sell to kids

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I've never been a big fan of a Pup Named Scooby Doo.

It's okay? I guess? I didn't really like how they kind of ramped up stuff, and their negative personality traits became their only ones. Velma rarely talked, Daphne was rich, ect. Ect. It was a pretty 90's TV show, with the De-Aging of characters, and then ramping up their personalities (Flintstone Kids, Ton and Jerry Kids) all kind following the trend of the more successful Muppet Babies and Tiny Toons. It was kind of loud and obnoxious for me, I did like the Red Herring gag, though.

I did forget The Reluctant Werewolf!

The Venture Brothers also had a good interpretation of the Scooby gang, too.

God drat, those Mickey Shorts are creative and beautiful, especially for using flash. It just goes to show you what COULD be done with it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

PicklePants posted:

God drat, those Mickey Shorts are creative and beautiful, especially for using flash. It just goes to show you what COULD be done with it.

Actually Mercury Filmworks (the animation studio that does the Mickey Shorts and a lot of other modern Disney shows) uses ToonBoom, though given that A: Roughly half of the crappy looking "flash" cartoons are actually made in ToonBoom and B: I'm pretty sure that a good chunk of the "non-flash" cartoons do use flash, but just draw things frame by frame like cel animation instead of the techniques used by both crappy "flash" cartoons and Mercury Filmworks's output, your point still stands.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

PicklePants posted:

The Venture Brothers also had a good interpretation of the Scooby gang, too.

I didn't like them until I found out they were all lovingly researched references to famous criminals, not just Son of Sam.

I pretty much describe Venture Bros humor as basically making really smart references and doing incredibly stupid poo poo with them, like this season they somehow combined Andy Warhol with the Superfriends Hall of Doom and had an episode where a weird-rear end 80s-as-poo poo Duran Duran music video was considered a thing that actually happened historically.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Actually Mercury Filmworks (the animation studio that does the Mickey Shorts and a lot of other modern Disney shows) uses ToonBoom, though given that A: Roughly half of the crappy looking "flash" cartoons are actually made in ToonBoom and B: I'm pretty sure that a good chunk of the "non-flash" cartoons do use flash, but just draw things frame by frame like cel animation instead of the techniques used by both crappy "flash" cartoons and Mercury Filmworks's output, your point still stands.

You're right. I should have known that, it's just easier (and lazier) to label the flat, non-shaded, non-hand drawn stuff as, "Flash."

Looking at the ToonBoom site, it's amazing the wide variety of stuff they have on there, most of the difference seems to be how much they let the program do for them, and how much they still draw in. Even then, it's not the program's fault, but those doing the production as to what they do and how much they can do with the budgets and time they have.

MacFoon
Jul 25, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

I really wanted to like the original Ghoul School, because how can you go wrong with a concept like "Scooby and Shaggy teach PE to children of famous monsters" but the truth is the animation is too cheap and the bloody puns are too many to actually enjoy it.

Yeah, I actually thought Ghoul School was made in the late 70s-1981 going by the animation quality, designs, and schlocky H-B scripting, but it was like, 1989 or something.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

PicklePants posted:

You're right. I should have known that, it's just easier (and lazier) to label the flat, non-shaded, non-hand drawn stuff as, "Flash."

Looking at the ToonBoom site, it's amazing the wide variety of stuff they have on there, most of the difference seems to be how much they let the program do for them, and how much they still draw in. Even then, it's not the program's fault, but those doing the production as to what they do and how much they can do with the budgets and time they have.

Honestly the main difference is whether or not it has the look of vector, and if they're using symbols/puppets to animate most of it. In the hands of a production designer interested in making it not look like that, it's completely possible to use any software to achieve a good-looking product.

Ping-pong: The Animation was done in Flash, but it uses none of the same production methods as a lot of what people associate with the style of Flash/ToonBoom programs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Steven Universe returns May 12 for In Too Deep, a four week event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxfgKw030Ak

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

2016 can straight up go to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Steven Universe returns May 12 for In Too Deep, a four week event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxfgKw030Ak

Who is giving out those avatars, Im seeing them everywhere

also im sad that Eustace is dead, what about Muriel?

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 23, 2016