Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because in my experience, signage around schools is inconsistent and poorly marked. Some say a flat 20mph, some say 20mph when children are present, some say 20mph when a light is flashing, and others are a random combination of rules stacked up on a 10 foot pole. They're also very poor about indicating when the school zone starts and ends.

Since police love to camp out at school zones, it's generally easiest to just drop to 20 and make sure you're not in violation of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There needs to be an Onion article about how you should be worried about DIY The Dark Knight-style STARS kit, allowing paedophiles to snatch kids from outside schools while still doing twice the speed limit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

xzzy posted:

Because in my experience, signage around schools is inconsistent and poorly marked. Some say a flat 20mph, some say 20mph when children are present, some say 20mph when a light is flashing, and others are a random combination of rules stacked up on a 10 foot pole. They're also very poor about indicating when the school zone starts and ends.

Since police love to camp out at school zones, it's generally easiest to just drop to 20 and make sure you're not in violation of anything.

I thought mentioning km/h twice would be enough, but I guess not.

There's no school zone in the city or the province, or quite probably even the whole country, where the speed limit is 20 km/h. Also, all school zones and playground zones in my city have been harmonized to prevent this problem -- they're now active all the time, from 7:30 to 9PM, no matter what, and all of them have a 30 km/h speed limit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I missed that 30km/h is the default school speed for whatever moon land you live in and thus assumed 20km/h was the default speed.

Either way the point still kind of works, people are unclear on the actual rules so they just go into "super safe" mode to make sure they're in the clear.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I park my motorcycle in the golf cart parking spots in front of the closest Stater Brothers to me.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I go to the store with 20 family spaces and block as many as I can, dropping the pups in separate rows and reversing the bobtail into the store entrance.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw some minivan with the hazards on doing about 40 on the freeway last night. As I passed I saw that there was some dork on a moped trundling along in font of it. Were they working together? Was the minivan some good samaritan making sure the suicidal idiot didn't get pasted by a semi? The world may never know!

Even if it is your only mode of transportation, everyone must know someone with a pickup or some poo poo. This wasn't near some big city where most people don't have cars or anything.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
On a country road today, a cyclist is riding on the right side of a lane, hand signals for a left turn so I slowed down and stopped to let him turn, then he just keeps going, continuing to signal for a left turn instead of turning. With no road or driveway on the left in sight I passed him, and as I passed he started yelling and waving his arm at me.

Does this not mean what I think it means?

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 22, 2016

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It does, but it sounds like he thought it meant don't pass, I guess?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Had a guy tailgating me in a lifted bro truck so close I couldn't see his headlights (I was already going 10 over); so I started coasting until he flew around me.

The best part was, I needed to turn at the intersection, and I watched him slam on his brakes in the middle of the intersection thinking I was still behind him. :smug:

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I did a triple-take, because I couldn't figure out why I was seeing PCOS Bill posts when I definitely wasn't in that TFR thread.

However, I can't fault his parking. If you're ticketed or towed, sucks for you, you asked for it. But who the hell cares? I, as a ~motorcyclist~, don't block reserved spots, but generally park wherever my vehicle will fit that's closest to the door. Often directly adjacent to the door.

e: At no point during my confusion did I see the page number of those post.
School zones around here always have the times on the sign in pretty tiny print, and a few have a flashing light as well. I assume the times have precedence and the flashing light is just a courtesy to motorists.
e2: kastien's argument was better

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 22, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So today I came to a stop in the right-turn only lane at a major intersection, because the light had just changed to red as I approached it. The oncoming traffic has a lagging protected left, so I chose to wait for them since I don't trust left turners to turn left into the left lane, and there were only 3 cars in line to make that left turn. As the first one was making the turn (into the right lane as usual) the dumb rear end in a Toyota pickup behind me starts honking and gesturing wildly with his arms. After the 3rd left turner cleared the intersection, I made my right on red. Dumb-rear end follows me through the turn without slowing (so technically he ran the red) and as he drove by me (I needed to turn at the next entrance) was looking fully backwards and flipping me off as he passed through the intersection with other traffic all around.

People are loving stupid, and he was all kinds of pissed off because I made a right turn 10 or 15 seconds later than he wanted me to.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I can't speak to all states, but in CA, the left turner can turn into any lane (absent cat tracks) and right with a red must yield to a left with a green arrow.

stangman
Mar 13, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

I really hate when people are just using the EXIT ONLY lane to skip the lines of traffic in the regular travel lanes and I have to sit there waiting for them to find a spot to merge in when LOOK RIGHT loving THERE IT'S MY EXIT, I COULD JUST GET OFF RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW AND AVOID THIS JAM BUT FOR YOU SITTING AT THE TOP OF THE RAMP TRYING TO MERGE BACK IN.
That's horn until they move time. Pricks.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

nm posted:

I can't speak to all states, but in CA, the left turner can turn into any lane (absent cat tracks) and right with a red must yield to a left with a green arrow.

In Arizona you must turn into the nearest lane. This intersection has 3 lanes in each direction, but it's a pretty solid bet that nobody on a given green arrow will ever actually end up in the left lane like they are supposed to. Technically, as long as I come to a complete stop, and make my turn into the far right lane, the left-turner would be at fault even though he had a green, but I'm not going to test that, especially not to shave all of 10 seconds off of my drive.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

The Locator posted:

In Arizona you must turn into the nearest lane.

This is the law in Alabama too, although I only know that because I was 4 hours into a police ridealong with jack-poo poo happening when the cop pulled some guy over on that pretense just for something to do.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

GutBomb posted:

On a country road today, a cyclist is riding on the right side of a lane, hand signals for a left turn so I slowed down and stopped to let him turn, then he just keeps going, continuing to signal for a left turn instead of turning. With no road or driveway on the left in sight I passed him, and as I passed he started yelling and waving his arm at me.

No one, least of all the average cyclist, knows what arm signals mean or how to do them. Sticking your right arm out doesn't signal a right turn, jackass; they taught us this poo poo in school when I was like 7 years old! You use your left arm to signal because it will be the most visible in LHD traffic.

There really ought to be a licensing process for cyclists. I'd be okay with theory-only, and no expiry date, just enough that no one can simply feign ignorance when they don't understand the proper way to do things.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

PT6A posted:

No one, least of all the average cyclist, knows what arm signals mean or how to do them. Sticking your right arm out doesn't signal a right turn, jackass; they taught us this poo poo in school when I was like 7 years old! You use your left arm to signal because it will be the most visible in LHD traffic.

There really ought to be a licensing process for cyclists. I'd be okay with theory-only, and no expiry date, just enough that no one can simply feign ignorance when they don't understand the proper way to do things.

The reason cyclists use the right hand is two fold.
1. And this is really the answer: drivers don't know what the gently caress a right turn signal with the left hand looks like. Seriously, go do it in your car or on a motorcycle or on a bike. People will look at you like you're a flashing yellow light.
The reason it is on the left in any event is mostly with a car, there's a car in the way. If you can't see a dude on a bike with his right hand outstreched, you should consult an optomitrist.
2. Left hand controls the front brake, which has like 90% of stopping power. Useful if 1 is an issue.

Also: Cvc 22111. All required signals given by hand and arm shall be given
from the left side of a vehicle in the following manner:
. . .
(b) Right turn--hand and arm extended upward beyond the side of
the vehicle, except that a bicyclist may extend the right hand and
arm horizontally to the right side of the bicycle.

As for that guy, who loving knows. Maybe you passed really closely (generally the average driver passes well within 3 feet unless they actively go to the other lane). He probably was an idiot though.

Edit: per the CAA a right handed right turn signal is also legal in Canada
http://bikesafety.caa.ca/cyclists/riding-skills-and-tips/hand-signals.php
Perhaps you should be the one going to a theory class?

nm fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 22, 2016

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I stick my right arm out and point right to signal right, and stick my left arm out to turn left. If anything holding my left arm up is going to confuse some people and I think comes from hanging your arm out a car window when you don't have working signals or something.

EFB

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
OR is another state that explicitly makes the right-arm-right-turn a valid signal. And if there were no officially recognized signals people (who bother with such niceties) would probably be pointing the direction they were turning anyway.

A "don't pass me" signal for non-emergency vehicles, were it even to be implemented, would be about as likely to be applied judiciously as the "high importance" flag on e-mails, and equally likely to be paid attention to as a result.

gently caress that guy.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Idaho has the Idaho stop law so gently caress y'all.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

PT6A posted:

Don't be retarded, barring cyclists, motorcyclists, mopeds, and horse riders, there are no drivers that can use hand signals at all.
Driving with a broken indicator, or not properly indicating a turn if you drive a car is a 90 euro fine. No amount of hand waving can compensate for that.

quote:

Move to Liechtenstein, where bicycle owners also have to pay road tax.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
At motorway services, have discovered a new irritation: old farts parking in disabled spaces to have a drink and a sandwich.

Yes, you have a blue badge, so you're "entitled" to park there, but have a think for a minute: the purpose of disabled spaces is to give wider door access and closer positioning to the building for people with mobility issues, neither of which you are making use of sat there masticating.

Go park elsewhere you selfish knobs.

Deedle posted:

Don't be retarded, barring cyclists, motorcyclists, mopeds, and horse riders, there are no drivers that can use hand signals at all.
He's not retarded. You're wrong.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

nm posted:

As for that guy, who loving knows. Maybe you passed really closely (generally the average driver passes well within 3 feet unless they actively go to the other lane). He probably was an idiot though.

Nah I was driving my miata and went in to the other lane. I gave him at least 6 feet.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

nm posted:

2. Left hand controls the front brake, which has like 90% of stopping power.

I really don't understand why bikes are backwards. First thing I did when I got mine was to switch the brake cables around.

1. I already have a motorcycle, so right hand = front brake is already ingrained.
2. Much easier to hand signal a stop and actually stop at the same time.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

GutBomb posted:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Deedle posted:

Driving with a broken indicator, or not properly indicating a turn if you drive a car is a 90 euro fine. No amount of hand waving can compensate for that.

In Minnesota it is completely legal to use hand signals in your car. I can only assume the right turn is left arm up thing came about because its really hard to stick your right arm out the window in a car.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SCA Enthusiast posted:

In Minnesota it is completely legal to use hand signals in your car. I can only assume the right turn is left arm up thing came about because its really hard to stick your right arm out the window in a car.

simply a lack of dedication i think.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xergm posted:

I really don't understand why bikes are backwards. First thing I did when I got mine was to switch the brake cables around.

1. I already have a motorcycle, so right hand = front brake is already ingrained.
2. Much easier to hand signal a stop and actually stop at the same time.
The standard in the UK is right lever is front brake. Left lever for front brake is foreign and wrong.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

At motorway services, have discovered a new irritation: old farts parking in disabled spaces to have a drink and a sandwich.

Yes, you have a blue badge, so you're "entitled" to park there, but have a think for a minute: the purpose of disabled spaces is to give wider door access and closer positioning to the building for people with mobility issues, neither of which you are making use of sat there masticating.

Go park elsewhere you selfish knobs.

Do you think they just loving teleported from their cars to the table and back?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Deedle posted:

Move to Liechtenstein, where bicycle owners also have to pay road tax.

Oh yeah, right, because the only thing paying for roads is gas tax and registrations. And no cyclists have cars.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

They can drive their car to another space after they get their food?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm interpreting that as they went in, got their food to go (or could be more of a convenience store setup, I'm not familiar with British motorway services versus American highway rest stops that are comparable to a large mall's food court), and go back out to their cars where they sit in the parking space eating and unnecessarily blocking the space.

To me this is comparable to leaving your car at the gas pump while you go inside a the convenience store to browse for a while in that it's very situational. If there's low traffic and plenty of equally good spaces available I don't see a problem, but if people are waiting to get in you should get your rear end out of the way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PCOS Bill posted:

Do you think half of them actually buy anything, rather than just eating the sandwiches they brought with them? Besides:

wolrah posted:

I'm interpreting that as they went in, got their food to go (or could be more of a convenience store setup, I'm not familiar with British motorway services versus American highway rest stops that are comparable to a large mall's food court), and go back out to their cars where they sit in the parking space eating and unnecessarily blocking the space.
Yes, we have both restaurants/takeout, and a selection of small shops.

But you've got it right, they sit in a disabled space, either not making use of the reason it's there, or having already finished using the the reason it's there by having fetched their food. When all the spaces are occupied, so if someone comes along who actually needs the space, tough poo poo, Gramps hasn't finished his turkey and stuffing yet.

So:

Geoj posted:

They can drive their car to another space after they get their food?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This basically amounts to "legal but entirely douchebaggy behavior" and I'm not at all surprised to see who's on which sides.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

kastein posted:

This basically amounts to "legal but entirely douchebaggy behavior" and I'm not at all surprised to see who's on which sides.

The one that kills me are the intersections where it is perfectly legal to turn left, but you are completely loving up traffic if you do. There is one intersection (80th and 3rd NW for Seattle people) where it is a very busy street, but also rather narrow(one Lane each way and no room for parked cars on the street) but busy enough that if you try to turn left you are going to block traffic till the light goes yellow.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Protocol7 posted:

What is it about some people?

I visited my parents yesterday. They're a 20 minute highway drive away. It's a pretty good tolled highway (E470 for those familiar with Colorado) with a higher speed limit of 75MPH and people are usually over that anyway.

I scoot along in the rightmost lane like I'm supposed to. Fly up on a Texas car going like 60mph, so I flip on my turn signal to go in the left lane and pass them. There's a truck probably 10 car lengths back in the left lane going the same speed as me that immediately starts speeding up as soon as I hit my blinker.

I still have plenty of room to merge over so I do, and the guy comes flying up my rear end (while I'm still doing 85 in a 75) and I can see the truck driver flip me off in my rear view mirror.

I get back over in the right lane. The truck slows back down, but finally passes me 5 minutes later.

What do you have to gain by being a dick like that? He clearly wasn't in a rush, there just must have been something he didn't like about having people indicate intent to merge some distance in front of him?

Happens all the time, seems to be an emasculation or power thing with people absolutely needing to be in front of/ahead of someone else. Happened to me 2 days ago on the interstate, was in the rightmost lane behind a utility truck that was going about 5 under the limit, so I moved over to the left lane where there was a wide open space and a guy in a red beater Tahoe cruising about 4-5 car lengths back. I guess moving over into *his lane* pissed him off, he sped up and rode my bumper in that lane for a bit so I passed the slow utility truck and merged back to the right. Tahoe douche goes flying past me and takes the next exit doing like 70 on the 40mph off-ramp with his middle finger wildly flapping out his window. No loving idea on that one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

There is another side to this, which is that it's general UK policy to not ticket people with disabled badges, and a small number of people take this as carte blanche to engage in some truly cuntish parking that fucks up traffic flow for everyone.

The capacity to be a dick is universal, regardless of physical impairment.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

InitialDave posted:

There is another side to this, which is that it's general UK policy to not ticket people with disabled badges, and a small number of people take this as carte blanche to engage in some truly cuntish parking that fucks up traffic flow for everyone.

The capacity to be a dick is universal, regardless of physical impairment.

Automotive Insanity > The capacity to be a dick is universal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

InitialDave posted:

The standard in the UK is right lever is front brake. Left lever for front brake is foreign and wrong.

Bicycles are another case of one location having controls on one side and lots of places doing it another way. Bicycles sold in the US mostly have the front brake on the left side; the way I see it, most people are right-handed and the rear derailleur is the most frequently shifted, so that selector goes on the right hand, then the brake for that wheel goes there too.