Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

EightBit posted:

Bicycles sold in the US mostly have the front brake on the left side

InitialDave posted:

Left lever for front brake is foreign and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
On the grand totem pole of vehicular douchery, sitting in a space you can legally use for longer than you strictly NEED to doesn't amount to much.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Negromancer posted:

The one that kills me are the intersections where it is perfectly legal to turn left, but you are completely loving up traffic if you do. There is one intersection (80th and 3rd NW for Seattle people) where it is a very busy street, but also rather narrow(one Lane each way and no room for parked cars on the street) but busy enough that if you try to turn left you are going to block traffic till the light goes yellow.

Never drive in Vancouver then.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

D C posted:

This is excellent advice even in the absence of any specific complaint.

In fact, it's probably best to avoid Vancouver altogether.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

D C posted:

WA or BC? There is no reason to go to Vancouver WA unless you need to stop for gas before hitting Oregon. I love Vancouver BC, but gently caress trying to drive in that city. I usually just take the train up, but if I do drive, I go straight to my hotel and leave the car there.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/723686385706782721

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xedJwKDOx0g

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

OCD is one hell of a thing.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Jesus christ that was painful to watch. And it's not like the main car in the drama is the only lovely driver. That white car... and did the car at the end just hit the barrier? Sure looked like it.

Something that all these "poo poo at parking" videos have in common is that they all start driving before turning their wheels. It's just :psyduck:.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
they had it parked perfectly at like 2 or 3 minutes in :psyduck:

and then fumblefucked around for another ten, ignoring how many other spaces? While two or three other people parked poorly?

Is this a parking lot for canadas worst drivers? Or for drunk people? Or are they being told to park like they hosed in highschool?

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I absolutely cannot stand it when people park right next to other cars when there are tons of open spaces like that. "I just want to be with my buddies :classiclol:"

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

a primate posted:

I absolutely cannot stand it when people park right next to other cars when there are tons of open spaces like that. "I just want to be with my buddies :classiclol:"

When I go to the grocery I like to park by myself farther from the building than the main cluster of cars and see if it takes anybody longer to find a "close spot" than it takes me to walk from the back of the lot to the door. There is always at least one.

Also gently caress you if you decide to drive the roadlet directly in front of the store and then get annoyed at pedestrians entering and leaving the building. Drive the back of the lot, dipshit.

I actually had some kids in a car yell at me for not yielding to them because it was their car's "turn" at the crosswalk, like it's an intersection and pedestrians should act like cars. I loudly told them to gently caress off before I realized I was about ten feet from the girl scouts selling cookies at the door.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I loudly told them to gently caress off before I realized I was about ten feet from the girl scouts selling cookies at the door.

Are you now a felon?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
In the parker's defense that looks like a tight lot made tighter by the other cars not pulling right up to that barrier, but still.... park in the back section.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

When I go to the grocery I like to park by myself farther from the building than the main cluster of cars

Same. It's a whole extra 20 yards of walking and I don't have to worry about hitting anyone's car with my door or cart when I come out.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

These are the Mustang owners you share a road with

https://twitter.com/DFWscanner/status/723916913756110849

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Clearly would not have happened if he had superior European handling.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

MrOnBicycle posted:

Are you now a felon?

The charge was lessened to misdemeanor assholery

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

FBS posted:

These are the Mustang owners you share a road with

https://twitter.com/DFWscanner/status/723916913756110849

Was the mustang heading to or leaving a cars and coffee event?

This is important to know, for science.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I just saw a Nissan commercial where the car is parked crooked despite being near no other cars. gently caress them for normalizing bad parking, and also for encouraging people to buy Nissans.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
A few hours ago I saw no less than 7 or 8 motorcycles going 60~70 down 30 mph streets. A few minutes ago, I saw a cop impounding a Kawasaki ninja. The driver in handcuffs. He ran over someones dog when they were crossing a crosswalk. You don't blow through stop signs in small neighborhoods. Cops have been sitting nearby there last few minutes. I wonder if they will catch more.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hope the twats resist.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

PT6A posted:

I just saw a Nissan commercial where the car is parked crooked despite being near no other cars. gently caress them for normalizing bad parking, and also for encouraging people to buy Nissans.

*looks at custom title and nods*

Squidtits
Mar 30, 2004
Spank me, you know you wanna

Parking a car is harder than filming horizontally.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Squidtits posted:

Parking a car is harder than filming horizontally.

I always thought phones should orient to landscape mode automatically, given how people just absolutely refuse to hold their phones correctly when shooting video.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

I always thought phones should orient to landscape mode automatically, given how people just absolutely refuse to hold their phones correctly when shooting video.

The sensor doesn't have a square aspect ratio, so if they did a landscape crop in that orientation the resolution would be different. That said, phone camera sensors are generally higher resolution than 1920 in both axes, so the resolution is there, but I don't know how they handle the cropping for that. It probably varies phone to phone and those that do 4k video probably wouldn't be able to do it in that orientation. Not that it really matters since phone 4k is going to be pretty crap anyway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

It's probably downsampled from the full resolution, rather than cropped out. The shorter edge would also be covering less image from the sensor so you'd end up with a narrower field of view and lower resolution.

Panasonic actually offered a few cameras with larger sensors that could be used in multiple aspect rations, but there's less of a need there. Whoever introduces square sensors to their phone cameras will certainly deserve a Nobel prize.

-----

I just saw a guy in a Smart Brabus pull off this maneuver. He was at the previous a stoplight in front of me, punched it and flew up to the Octavia that just stopped for the red light. But instead of staying where I'm now, he quickly changed lanes, and then made a right turn on red form the middle lane :stare:

What's terrible here is snow falling from the sky at the end of loving April.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The sensor doesn't have a square aspect ratio, so if they did a landscape crop in that orientation the resolution would be different. That said, phone camera sensors are generally higher resolution than 1920 in both axes, so the resolution is there, but I don't know how they handle the cropping for that. It probably varies phone to phone and those that do 4k video probably wouldn't be able to do it in that orientation. Not that it really matters since phone 4k is going to be pretty crap anyway.

Yeah, what sucks about phones is there's almost no room or budget for proper optics, so even if you have five thousand pixels in each direction, they're all blurry and look like someone stuck the lens in an rear end in a top hat full of vaseline.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

What's terrible here is snow falling from the sky at the end of loving April.

I drove a $400 parts donor home from Ohio last spring, took the trip back overnight after taking Megabus to Toledo that evening. Seller said the blower fan was non-op and the blend door was stuck, but it's almost June, so whatever, right? Nope, the temp decided to drop around 35 that night and I was wearing loving cargo shorts of all things. Froze my rear end off for 5 hours, and probably would have gone hypothermic if it weren't for the heated seats.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

kastein posted:

Yeah, what sucks about phones is there's almost no room or budget for proper optics, so even if you have five thousand pixels in each direction, they're all blurry and look like someone stuck the lens in an rear end in a top hat full of vaseline.

:shrug: the iPhones have always seemed to take pretty awesome pictures imo (except in low light like pretty much every camera).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jared592 posted:

:shrug: the iPhones have always seemed to take pretty awesome pictures imo (except in low light like pretty much every camera).

Camera bump lol

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jared592 posted:

Yah, it's not the optics that are the problem, when there's enough light they can take solid photos (although you can't really do any depth-of-field stuff). The problem's that the sensor is so small, which means that to increase pixel count you need smaller pixels, and smaller pixels have shittier signal:noise ratio. A full-frame DSLR with 24 megapixels, each pixel is 3.6E-5 square millimeters in size. The Nokia 808 has 48 megapixels crammed into a 85 square millimeter sensor, the pixel size is over an order of magnitude smaller. Fine with enough light, but it's going to go to hell quickly if you underexpose at all.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PT6A posted:

No one, least of all the average cyclist, knows what arm signals mean or how to do them. Sticking your right arm out doesn't signal a right turn, jackass; they taught us this poo poo in school when I was like 7 years old! You use your left arm to signal because it will be the most visible in LHD traffic.

There really ought to be a licensing process for cyclists. I'd be okay with theory-only, and no expiry date, just enough that no one can simply feign ignorance when they don't understand the proper way to do things.

This should be taught and beat into the heads of both cyclists and motor vehicle drivers. If people behind the wheel don't know what hand signals are used for right/left/straight, then they need to learn. If cyclists don't want to follow the rules of the road like other vehicles, they need to loving learn. More stringent guidelines and better testing could easily solve that, or just force idiot cyclists to get their precious bikes registered and carry insurance for inevitable stupid accidents they cause.

kastein posted:

Is this a parking lot for canadas worst drivers? Or for drunk people? Or are they being told to park like they hosed in highschool?

:10bux: says it's a parking lot right outside the local bingo hall, guessing the goof making a 23 point turn to get into a spot was in his 70's at the bare minimum

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Alighieri posted:

Was the mustang heading to or leaving a cars and coffee event?

This is important to know, for science.

Ah, that's the wrong way to ask that question.

Did the Mustang hit anyone standing on the lawn? Because if so, then we know for sure they were involved with a cars and coffee event.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
There was a local new article about the police cracking down on cyclists running red lights and stop signs, and besides the hilarious tears from the cyclists described in the article which was funny, the comment section filled up hilariously quickly with people ranting about the police having nothing better to do and coming up with the most far fetched excuses for breaking the law.

The best one I read was the guy calling the laws problematic because some intersections have such bad visibility that he can't see what's coming when he's stopped. Jeez, guess why there is a loving stop sign. He also went on complaining that his kids (under 10) aren't good enough to come to a stop, put their feet down and then start cycling again, and therefore cyclists should be able to run stop signs. It's just :psyduck:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Idaho stop law bitches

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
These are some of the people you (used) to share a railroad crossing with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRsJ_ehDTC8

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Deedle posted:

Welp, there were a couple that was just someone walking in front of a train.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I like how they synced the music to the impacts.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Deedle posted:

Wow, flashing red lights, clearly visible stop signs and lowered barriers mean nothing to some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Goddamn :stare: Bus drivers who race trains are the worst people.