Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

saintonan posted:

Crystal City is a great example of what happens when you drop a sleepy little dying town into the middle of the Eagle Ford shale. There's shitloads of money flying around there, and when you ask people who've had no money ever to choose between money and no money, the answers will be very obvious.

This a million times. I grew up in a small Texas town. The population was 5k and the nearest town bigger than that was an hour away. We had once been a town of 50k back in the early 1900s because of Oil and because of that we had several old money families with fortunes in the 9 digit range while most people were below the poverty line. Fracking brought the oil back in a big way recently also.

The level of corruption and entrenchment of the good ol' boy system is unbelievable. Meth is huge there. There aren't many murders, but the ones that do happen are always "suicides". The entire police force is on the take and a few of them have been known to sell drugs directly out of their cop cars. When my friends mother tried to apply for funds through the county indigent health care fund (she qualified) she was told straight up that the county uses that money for other things and doesn't spend it on "you people". There have been quite a few Texas Ranger investigations but somehow they never amount to anything.

I have countless stories of corruption and hosed up things that have happened and nobody has ever gotten in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have rural stories like that being from DFW, but I remember talking to a retired police detective for a DFW-area department who worked on organized crime and counter-terrorism task forces, and he said they outright avoided dealing with rural counties east of the metroplex because of corruption. Think Kaufman County.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention this, but here in Denton County, the crooked Tea Party sheriff got primaried. He was the subject of a recent Dallas Observer investigation which included, among other things: allegations of bribery, falsifying evidence, campaign finance irregularities and an affair with his kids' 17-year-old babysitter.

The most amazing thing is his name is William B. Travis and he played up an ancestral connection despite the fact he's from Mississippi. A bunch of Flower Mound voters fell for it, and still voted for him this time around, but Denton itself swung hard for his opponent and got him voted out. Thank God.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/dentons-scandal-prone-sheriff-8047734

His opponent was Tracy Murphree, who ran as a clean, True Conservative cop. But gently caress, even a lot of Denton liberals were talking about switching parties to vote for him because Travis was so awful. (Murphree won.)

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 12, 2016

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
This came across my Facebook feed, courtesy of my hipster brother-in-law:

https://www.change.org/p/mayor-mike-rawling-dallas-city-council-adopt-the-pegasus-and-the-trinity-as-the-official-flag-of-dallas

Because nothing symbolizes Dallas better than a hosed-up boondoggle river and an oil company mascot. Presumably they couldn't figure out how to put redlining on a flag.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This came across my Facebook feed, courtesy of my hipster brother-in-law:

https://www.change.org/p/mayor-mike-rawling-dallas-city-council-adopt-the-pegasus-and-the-trinity-as-the-official-flag-of-dallas

Because nothing symbolizes Dallas better than a hosed-up boondoggle river and an oil company mascot. Presumably they couldn't figure out how to put redlining on a flag.
Dallas: It's Got What Plants Crave

Edit: I unironically think they should replace the Dallas flag with that of the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza:

Reference to this: https://books.google.com/books?id=u...kennedy&f=false

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 12, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some fine reading for a rainy Tuesday.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/04/11/analysis-rough-day-class-2014/

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
Here's a little article about the 'Jesus shot' that Sid Miller got:

http://fusion.net/story/282538/jesus-shot-michael-lonergan-oklahoma/

$300 for a B12 shot administered by a self-proclaimed bipolar, convicted felon who had his license to practice medicine revoked by Ohio's medical board? Sounds legit.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Greg Abbot is such an embarrassment.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

blue squares posted:

Greg Abbot is such an embarrassment.

I reckon that Sid Miller is more of an embarassment. He causes much more self-harm through having a big mouth and idiots running his social media - and pretends there's nothing wrong with it. Other than that, I don't actually know if he's doing an acceptable job (though I vaguely recall something about returning fried food to school lunches).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hawkline posted:

I reckon that Sid Miller is more of an embarassment. He causes much more self-harm through having a big mouth and idiots running his social media - and pretends there's nothing wrong with it. Other than that, I don't actually know if he's doing an acceptable job (though I vaguely recall something about returning fried food to school lunches).

Guess

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Hawkline posted:

Oh boy glad I looked at his Facebook page just now.

gently caress you, Texas voters.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
War of Northern Tax collecting, Lamestream media, Hollyweird... our loving state. :texas:

:texas: should be an armadillo or something doing a :smithicide:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MariusLecter posted:

War of Northern Tax collecting, Lamestream media, Hollyweird... our loving state. :texas:

:texas: should be an armadillo or something doing a :smithicide:

This is what happens when education is terrible and the party in power only wants it to be worse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sid Miller is if your hot-takenest uncle held public office.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm not sure what's wrong with either of Sid Miller's facebook posts there...

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

blue squares posted:

He wears a suit with a cowboy hat. :barf:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MariusLecter posted:

He wears a suit with a cowboy hat. :barf:

That's known as Texas Casual.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fuckin Suits and Boots man.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah if you really wanted to post something terrible from his Facebook you should go with the time he said we should nuke the Middle East.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Was it him that said he's slap anyone that said "happy holidays" to him?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Was it him that said he's slap anyone that said "happy holidays" to him?

None other.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

zoux posted:

Sid Miller is if your hot-takenest uncle held public office.

Obligatory text so I'm not empty-quoting.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

blue squares posted:

Nothing wrong with Sid's posts, it's the comments on the posts, hence:

The Mandingo posted:

gently caress you, Texas voters.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sid is under investigation by the Texas Rangers: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/04/13/texas-rangers-investigate-ag-chiefs-statepaid-trip/

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

The investigation follows complaints filed by the liberal advocacy group Progress Texas, which asked the department's investigative unit to review two state-paid trips the Stephenville Republican took in February 2015 after media reports indicating he may have traveled for personal benefit, including to participate in a rodeo and to receive a controversial injection known as "the Jesus Shot."

1. Rodeos are official Texas business.
and
2. Religious freedom being infringed upon by liberals, of course!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm so an unintended consequence of them moving the PIU from Travis Co. to DPS is now instead of "XXXXX investigated by the Travis Co. DA" headlines, they read "The Texas Rangers are investigating" which sounds way way worse.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

zoux posted:

Hmmm so an unintended consequence of them moving the PIU from Travis Co. to DPS is now instead of "XXXXX investigated by the Travis Co. DA" headlines, they read "The Texas Rangers are investigating" which sounds way way worse.

Texas Rangers always get their man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AshleaGraves/status/720457525783633921

She's Houston ISD's comm director.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

What, another one? I thought it had already been ruled unconstitutional some time ago but that no change has been made yet to address that.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

What, another one? I thought it had already been ruled unconstitutional some time ago but that no change has been made yet to address that.

When is the court finally going to solve the issue by setting up an income tax through judicial fiat?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

You're thinking of the one that was five or six years ago. That was to respond to the "no state prop tax" constitutional violation, this one is on the "fair and equitable" violation.

I think it's cool that our state constitution basically makes it impossible to craft a constitutional school finance system because it's almost impossible to create a fair and equitable system based on local property tax collections.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

zoux posted:

I think it's cool that our state constitution basically makes it impossible to craft a constitutional school finance system because it's almost impossible to create a fair and equitable system based on local property tax collections.

Also it does not help that our state constitution is a just a few paragraphs long with about 700 or so contradicting amendments stuck to it. Just a big,convoluted, byzantine mess that no wants to fix.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

an iksar monk posted:

Also it does not help that our state constitution is a just a few paragraphs long with about 700 or so contradicting amendments stuck to it. Just a big,convoluted, byzantine mess that no wants to fix.

This is the same state government where one of our governors barricaded himself in his office to keep out the anti-carbetbagger mobs so we stapled on an amendment somewhere to give the real authority to the guy beneath him. And we've just rolled with it for a hundred plus years. We're basically that village from Fiddler on the Roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V2lxFWBqfI

TRADITION!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i had no idea that was the reason we have a weak governorship

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/720975363325698048

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Don is in full on troll mode, it seems.

http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2016/04/reporters-notebook-could-it-be-satan/

quote:

The devil is in the details… It may be a while before City Council members are willing to accept amendments offered to their resolutions by Council Member Don Zimmerman, no matter how inoffensive they appear at first glance. On Thursday, a discussion over a symbolic resolution to declare Austin a “compassionate community” was prolonged significantly after Zimmerman announced that language in his amendment – as accepted by the resolution’s sponsor, Council Member Ann Kitchen – had in fact been lifted from the website of the Satanic Temple. This language was a largely innocuous call for compassion and empathy, but Zimmerman delighted in displaying what he saw as Council’s hypocrisy, since Kitchen had rejected two other amendments he offered that included specific references to Christianity. Kitchen responded earnestly that it was not her intent to endorse any particular religious view, and Mayor Steve Adler urged his colleagues to strike the amendment and pass the resolution. He didn’t want a “meme” to emerge about Council endorsing Satanism, and, just as important, he didn’t believe city government should be spending so much time debating a purely symbolic measure. Council voted to strike the amendment and then voted 9-1 to approve the resolution, with only Zimmerman opposed. Council Member Ellen Troxclair was absent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh oh looks like Whole Foods Cake-gate might be fake.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Uh oh looks like Whole Foods Cake-gate might be fake.

That it was fake was pretty obvious from the beginning. (Especially to anyone who has actually been to that Whole Foods locations. I can't picture any of the sleeve-tattooed, giant-ear-gage pierced, omnisexual punks working at that store deciding to do something like that.)

I'm just surprised that Whole Foods was willing to do the legwork to prove it.

EDIT: Also, never trust a Texas preacher.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
In Conroe news,

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

In Conroe news,

Is that a leash?

Adbot