Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

Actually I think the actors (with the exception of the crazy elf dude) were fine. It's just that their source material was so bad that it completely took the viewer out of the scene.

Besides, when you have powerhouses like Mannu Bennett, everyone is going to look lame by comparison. It's not their fault.

This is from ages ago but the show is only up to episode 7 in the uk. I feel like the actors are okay apart from the 3 main characters which really, really can't act and have zero chemistry together.

They're all attractive and i guess that's why they got cast but daaam it's awkward to watch. Apparently, one gets turned in to a tree or something? i can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

hemale in pain posted:

They're all attractive and i guess that's why they got cast but daaam it's awkward to watch.

Whoever was in charge of casting was pretty terrible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This is a surprise:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/shannara-chronicles-renewed-second-season-885705

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Indeed.

If someone else wants to make a thread for season 2 when it comes time, go for it. I didn't make it through the whole season. I may try again over the summer.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah, the show didn't have a great start and got worse as episodes went by. I thought Austin Butler, Wil, showed some acting skill but he just didn't have anything to work with. The poor guy looks like he could be typecast as the douchebag in every 80's movie ever. Poppy Drayton, the elf princess was pretty bad, really terrible actually. Ivana Bacqero came off as inexperienced but not horrible.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Austin Butler and Manu Benett had great chemistry together all things considered. Hopefully they get more time on screen instead of separating them.

I think the cast is fine, but the stories and plots the show pulls out are kind of complete rear end.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sober posted:

I think the cast is fine, but the stories and plots the show pulls out are kind of complete rear end.

It's based on a long series of books. I haven't read them but I saw someone remarking they just sprinted through the material like they had a quota of plot points to hit every episode. That and people don't use 21st century slang in the books.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
This is one of the most surprising renewals of the past decade to me, but I am happy to hear about it. This show has many flaws, but it is still better than cop/doctor procedural hour number 42. Plus the entire second season could be Manu and Will sitting around talking to the Tree for an hour and I would watch every minute.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Manu and Wil traveling around having minor adventures. Or just Manu, in his purple leather robes. :perfect:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Are they rewriting subsequent books to include the remaining characters, or are we getting rid of everyone but Manu Bennet?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

As far as I know, everyone will be back that's left alive.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
right, so I presume they are just making their own story. the later shannara books mostly have different characters except for allanon

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

just make it like legend of the seeker but staring the four leads going around getting in trouble with a healthy amount of manu benett being exasperated that he has to save their asses most of the time and you can make the show run for 5 years

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Sober posted:

just make it like legend of the seeker but staring the four leads going around getting in trouble with a healthy amount of manu benett being exasperated that he has to save their asses most of the time and you can make the show run for 5 years

Also, add Bridget Regan to the cast.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I would so far as to say MTV should revive LOTS but honestly the main cast for Shannara is fine and I mostly enjoy the dynamic they have, cheesy teenage angst love triangle included. They should just quit adapting (i.e. translating) the novels altogether and have the show stand on its own (or fail on its own). At the most take motifs, themes, lore, from the books and make it work for the television format instead of trying to do some really poorly plotted "it's really the novel as a 10 hour movie" garbage Shannara and a lot of other shows have been doing in the past couple of years.

In other words I am in for season 2 because I hate myself.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Sorry to revive the thread but it's just been put on Netflix in the UK and given me a chance to actually watch it in HD instead of youtube quality blurry mess.

I enjoyed the books when I was a kid. I'm not saying they were great but they had some really fun moments that would have been amazing to see on the screen. Things like the Reaper chasing them through the guardpost or the fights over Arborlorn between the demons and the elves. I got up to them blowing the reaper up in some sort of toxic dump after it being in the episode for about 15 minutes and stopped watching altogether.

The Shannara novels are pure pulp and they seemed perfect to adapt to TV. I have no idea why they did it like they did but what a loving shame it was all wasted.

And isn't Eritrea the main girl from Pan's Labyrinth?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Taear posted:

And isn't Eritrea the main girl from Pan's Labyrinth?

Yes. Ivana Baquero played Ofelia.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

EricFate posted:

Also, add Bridget Regan to the cast.

And Tabrett Bethell

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

EricFate posted:

Yes. Ivana Baquero played Ofelia.

I was more making a point that it feels weird people are complaining about her acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Taear posted:

I was more making a point that it feels weird people are complaining about her acting.

Why? She was way better than elf princess but still not great.

• Locked thread