Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

I think after Ryan Davis people just don't want to listen to another podcast where the host dies.
But that's the only honest way for a podcast to end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

FractalSandwich posted:

But that's the only honest way for a podcast to end!

"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, either deliberately fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: Kole and Gary die. Kole and Gary die. Kole and Gary die."--Margaret Atwood

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Opposing Farce posted:

"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, either deliberately fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: Kole and Gary die. Kole and Gary die. Kole and Gary die."--Margaret Atwood

Gary and Kole are an undead favourite so I don't think that'd stop them.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I saw recently that MyNameIsKaz and Medibot's excellent Skullscast has started updating again. They talk about all sorts of crazy things (including a good deal of Magic the Gathering stuff that I'm not really into - but hey, if you are into that, you'll probably love it), but sometimes they'll have a cast reviewing specific videogames, or shooting the breeze on features of videogame design. There are also plenty of episodes that are just Kaz playing straight man to Medibot's patented brand of highly entertaining warped logic :).

e: VVVV yeah, fair enough. There are videogame eps in there, but you may have to go digging for them. And there should be less MtG going forward.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 23, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Paul.Power posted:

including a good deal of Magic the Gathering stuff that I'm not really into - but hey, if you are into that, you'll probably love it

Medibot ended episode 94 with a blood pact to never talk about Magic again so you're pretty safe from that in the future. They don't talk about games that much either and Kaz has very questionable ideas about what constitutes good game design, but if you're looking for creative lying, it's your cast.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Lone Goat posted:

Gary and Kole are an undead favourite so I don't think that'd stop them.

Gary and Kole are friends with undeaths...

Terrible undeaths...

Anyway.

sirtommygunn posted:

Super Best Friendcast description

Pasco posted:

OP should probably include the Easy Allies Podcast, and their bi-weekly companion Frame Trap:

Stan Taylor posted:

Crate & Crowbar nitpicking

Luna Was Here posted:

first page posting to put in the Co-Optional Podcast, for TotalBiscuit's podcast is actually pretty alright

These have been fixed.

SpannerX posted:

Isometric is done, by the way, they started a new podcast, called Disruption.

This one I'll have to find/fix later because a quick googling before work led me to a bunch of lovely, lovely podcasts that had none of those ladies on them.

Mierenneuker posted:

The Top Score podcast might be dead BTW. It hasn't updated since August of last year. I'm still a bit backlogged on that one so I don't know what happened or if it just ended. It's still worth the mention you gave it in the OP though, I don't think anything else fill that particular VGM-shaped hole.

Similarly I'll check into this.

Cellophane S posted:

I'm really fond of Vidjagame Apocalypse these days. Heidi "Zerochan" Kemps has been on it a lot lately, as well as Bob Mackey, and it's always funny and interesting.
Those two are 100% "must listen" guests, but mostly I just skip over the back half most weeks because I've already heard the news on about 3 other shows. It's not a bad show, it just comes out too late for me to want to retread new releases and news. (Similarly: if you've never looked at Heidi's site you oughta do that. She gets great interviews and covers whatever the hell sounds fun.)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

"story gamers"

i am an options menu gamer personally can't get enough of them sliders thingajamas
and if there is a cool gamma adjustment screen HOOOBOY thats a gotyay contender

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah Top Score is dead, but the same host now does a show called Level. It seems like it's the same thing, but I haven't listened yet. I'm on my phone right now, but I'll drop a link later in case anyone's interested.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

i am an options menu gamer personally can't get enough of them sliders thingajamas
and if there is a cool gamma adjustment screen HOOOBOY thats a gotyay contender
I'm a Character Creation Screen Gamer.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

fatherboxx posted:

i am an options menu gamer

same. my fetish is difficulty sliders and arguing about frame rates.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm triggered when subtitles aren't enabled by default.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Mierenneuker posted:

I'm triggered when subtitles aren't enabled by default.

You laugh but ain't nothing makes me madder about a game than if it begins by throwing me into a cutscene without those being on.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

How about turning subtitles on after the intro only to find out they didn't subtitle the cinematics?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Mierenneuker posted:

How about turning subtitles on after the intro only to find out they didn't subtitle the cinematics?

Okay, point. That actually makes me madder.

(Another good one: the cinematics are subtitled but then canned in-engine scenes aren't. My speakers are off at 3AM, assholes.)

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

END ME SCOOB posted:

This one I'll have to find/fix later because a quick googling before work led me to a bunch of lovely, lovely podcasts that had none of those ladies on them.

How about this one?

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
All the Laser Time podcasts would be 100 times better if they got rid of Henry, he's dumb as poo poo, interrupts constantly and is terminally unfunny

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Uh, Gary and Kole, I hate to sound nitpicky, but you're off your game a bit. Halfway through the latest BFC episode and you've already said that (not really spoilers but just in case) Yhorm is a DS2 giant when he very clearly isn't, and now you've gone on a tangent about how Iudex Grundyr sounds like grundle when his name is actually Iudex Gundyr. To be fair, the former is a deliberate fakeout, but I'm not sure where the latter came from.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Funkmaster General posted:

Uh, Gary and Kole, I hate to sound nitpicky, but you're off your game a bit. Halfway through the latest BFC episode and you've already said that (not really spoilers but just in case) Yhorm is a DS2 giant when he very clearly isn't, and now you've gone on a tangent about how Iudex Grundyr sounds like grundle when his name is actually Iudex Gundyr. To be fair, the former is a deliberate fakeout, but I'm not sure where the latter came from.

Gary and Cole are decent people but they just kinda seem... off about things sometimes. It's hard to explain. Sometimes they just miss the point by a country mile., like they're trying to be so super smart about From Software games and just miss the little things when they want to understand the big picture better than anyone else.
Also dick jokes. :dong: Haha dick jokes. Dick jokes are funny and we make sex jokes about men and stuff all the time. :iamafag:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tracula posted:

Gary and Cole are decent people but they just kinda seem... off about things sometimes. It's hard to explain. Sometimes they just miss the point by a country mile., like they're trying to be so super smart about From Software games and just miss the little things when they want to understand the big picture better than anyone else.

if only there was some way for you to tell them they missed the point or correct their mistakes, some sort of podcast thread they read and post in regularly on this forum, or a feedback form on their website, or some system of electronic mail that would let you write them a letter about it

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
We spoke about Yhorm as a DS2 giant because that's how he looks in the intro cutscene. We're going to talk about the discrepancy between the models in the appropriate episode.

The Gundyr vs Grundyr thing was a mistake that I made in taking notes, that neither of us caught at the time, which led to what felt like a funny digression.

As for missing the point or dick jokes or just being off, I've got nothing for that.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'm just being a pedantic goony hyperbolic :dong: myself, don't mind me :v:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Song For The Deaf posted:

We spoke about Yhorm as a DS2 giant because that's how he looks in the intro cutscene. We're going to talk about the discrepancy between the models in the appropriate episode.

The Gundyr vs Grundyr thing was a mistake that I made in taking notes, that neither of us caught at the time, which led to what felt like a funny digression.

As for missing the point or dick jokes or just being off, I've got nothing for that.

Fair enough. For the record, I don't know what that guy's problem with dick jokes is. Please don't ever stop making dick jokes. The Grundyr discussion was funny, if factually incorrect.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 25, 2016

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Tracula posted:

Gary and Cole are decent people but they just kinda seem... off about things sometimes.

Tracula is a decent poster but his posts are just... kinda off sometimes. For starters Kole spells his name with a K not a C.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I will claim a little responsibility as I was having a pretty off day when we recorded. Also, I don't think it's unfair to say that I am a big picture person when it comes to these games either. But yes, we are decent people.

The Gundyr/Grundyr thing doesn't really seem to matter much to me, honestly. It's just a misread or typo and we're working from notes. But if you think that's bad, just wait until you hear me mispronounce Irithyll like a dozen times!

Woffle fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 25, 2016

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'll take it to the chin and admit I was just being an rear end in a top hat because I could be and seeing if I could stir poo poo. I do like the show quite a bit and I'm always happy to hear a new episode.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I get it and I'm not that offended. It's easy to forget that the internet is made of people. No hard feelings.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Also "grundle" is a great word so I'm all in favor of whatever it takes to get a grundle riff going.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Woffle posted:

I will claim a little responsibility as I was having a pretty off day when we recorded. Also, I don't think it's unfair to say that I am a big picture person when it comes to these games either. But yes, we are decent people.

The Gundyr/Grundyr thing doesn't really seem to matter much to me, honestly. It's just a misread or typo and we're working from notes. But if you think that's bad, just wait until you hear me mispronounce Irithyll like a dozen times!

I noticed the Irithyll thing, too, but had forgotten about it when I made the post.

I don't begrudge you for the mistakes, I just thought it was odd because you guys are usually pretty good about getting the facts right, which is why I opened the post by saying you were off your game. I've since listened to the rest and heard you say at the end that you had had a rough time recently and that's a good enough excuse to me.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

But if you think that's bad, just wait until you hear me mispronounce Irithyll like a dozen times!

I'm going to grind your bones to dust the third time you say "fan service"

Probably keep a notepad nearby when you record or something

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
A podcast about Dark Souls 3 that didn't employ the term "fan service" would completely fail at being a podcast about Dark Souls 3.

Man I really don't envy any podcasters for the sort of "They just sound OFF" comments that get thrown around in threads like these. Like it's understandable that a person may not enjoy a podcast because they don't jive with The Way A Person Talks, but there's little need to post to an internet forum about how you don't enjoy a podcaster because of intangible gut-feelings related to their verbal mannerisms. It's not constructive criticism, it's just kind of reductive and rude.

Basically what I'm saying is that Gary and Kole and perfect angels and that's that.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
The $12000 Duckfeed Patreon goal should be a podcast featuring Gary and Kole and 2 or more perfect angels.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Murderist posted:

Man I really don't envy any podcasters for the sort of "They just sound OFF" comments that get thrown around in threads like these. Like it's understandable that a person may not enjoy a podcast because they don't jive with The Way A Person Talks, but there's little need to post to an internet forum about how you don't enjoy a podcaster because of intangible gut-feelings related to their verbal mannerisms. It's not constructive criticism, it's just kind of reductive and rude.

Basically what I'm saying is that Gary and Kole and perfect angels and that's that.

I agree, I was being a reductive idiot earlier about them with no real good reason. And I do feel bad for acting like an rear end because they're such great people that put a monumental amount of effort and love into their work. Sort of wish there was an anti-sarcasm tag I could use since being on the internet and all everything is kinda tinged with venom.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TetsuoTW posted:

Also "grundle" is a great word so I'm all in favor of whatever it takes to get a grundle riff going.

What if Video Games Hot Dogs starts talking about Riff's grundle?

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm going to grind your bones to dust the third time you say "fan service"

Murderist posted:

A podcast about Dark Souls 3 that didn't employ the term "fan service" would completely fail at being a podcast about Dark Souls 3.

This 1000%. I really love Dark Souls 3. My love for that also contains the fact that it's pandering to an extreme degree, and really, to no good end.

I'm not going to mention it as a generality again but it would be silly not to mention it when it comes up.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

What if Video Games Hot Dogs starts talking about Riff's grundle?
Now that would be a grundleshunt.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

I'm not going to mention it as a generality again but it would be silly not to mention it when it comes up.

lock your doors and keep an eye on your bones

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Zombies' Downfall posted:

lock your doors and keep an eye on your bones

Update: I ate the bones.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

This crazy rear end quote from a Star Wars game preview illustrates my feelings of DS3.

"Red Fly’s representatives arrived at the meeting point early the next day, only to find LucasArts employees rushing Force Unleashed artwork out of the conference room, and replacing it with other Star Wars artworks, including the placement of Sideshow Collectibles statues of Darth Maul and Darth Talon to the table.

A friendly George Lucas entered the room and was eager to hear the pitch from Red Fly’s creatives. “Before they could finish their spiel, Lucas cut them off, stood up, walked over to the statues, rotated them to be facing the same direction, pushed them together, and said ‘They’re friends!’” adds the source. “He wanted these characters to be friends, and to play off of each other. He talked about the show Burn Notice as a reference point. He likened Darth Maul to Sonny fromThe Godfather, and he likened Darth Talon to Lauren Bacall. He actually did an impersonation of her. It was supposedly the weirdest impersonation of a ’40s actress going, ‘Don’t you know how to whistle? Put your lips together and blow.’”

The problem with the idea of Maul and Talon teaming up for a buddy cop-like experience was that they were separated by over 170 years of Star Wars fiction – as ridiculous of an idea as Frédéric Chopin forming a band with Dave Grohl. When this vast time divide was brought up to Lucas’ attention, he brushed off the notion of it not working, and said that it could instead be a descendant of Darth Maul or a clone of him."

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

If you are looking for a good Podcast App, I can only recommend Pocket Casts. It's pretty good.

http://www.shiftyjelly.com/pocketcasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Can I be a pedant too?

The real error in Bonfire Side Chat is that it should really be Zeno's Grunder, not Theseuses Grunder. :hist101:

Patreon cancelled.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 25, 2016