Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

RC Cola posted:

Is it worth $60 or should I wait for the price to come down

Wait and see if the sales of the game are abyssmal, I can see Nintendo knocking the price down a bit in that case.

It's really telling that another entry in another series, Mario Kart 8, basically got away with being "more Mario Kart" and was better off for it. This is pretty much a launch-window tier tech demo for how cool the Gamepad might be years down the line, except it's over three years since the launch of the system, and Splatoon does much better things with the Gamepad while not actively interfering with most people's initial impressions of the game quite like Star Fox does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Actually a lot of reviewers and players complained the gyro controls weren't all that great in Splatoon and Nintendo just shoe horned them in to force the use of the game pad when it first came out :shrug: I think there was even a article from some big website stating to get the most out of the game to turn the gyro aiming off

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

fivegears4reverse posted:

Wait and see if the sales of the game are abyssmal, I can see Nintendo knocking the price down a bit in that case.

It's really telling that another entry in another series, Mario Kart 8, basically got away with being "more Mario Kart" and was better off for it. This is pretty much a launch-window tier tech demo for how cool the Gamepad might be years down the line, except it's over three years since the launch of the system, and Splatoon does much better things with the Gamepad while not actively interfering with most people's initial impressions of the game quite like Star Fox does.

Except SF Zero literally does the exact same thing as Splatoon with the gyro aiming, except it also adds use of a second screen instead of like, a map or whatever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

XavierGenisi posted:

Except SF Zero literally does the exact same thing as Splatoon with the gyro aiming, except it also adds use of a second screen instead of like, a map or whatever.

The level design is also built around the new controls unlike Splatoon.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

The level design is also built around the new controls unlike Splatoon.

That's kind of a weird thing to say considering the gyro controls in Splatoon didn't add any new gameplay to build levels around. It's just a different way of moving the camera around, nothing you couldn't already do in other shooters.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

andipossess posted:

That's kind of a weird thing to say considering the gyro controls in Splatoon didn't add any new gameplay to build levels around. It's just a different way of moving the camera around, nothing you couldn't already do in other shooters.

That's what I meant. I love the motion controls in Splatoon but the game wasn't built around them like with this. There's stuff in this that would be impossible to do with a traditional 64 control scheme.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I'm really starting to like Guard in addition to Zero. Sure its pretty simple tower defense at it's core but then you can make squads for others to try and defend against and earn rewards if they fail and it is the best.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 23, 2016

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, reviews are mixed so i'm depending on you guys. Is the New Star Fox worth the 60 bucks?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, reviews are mixed so i'm depending on you guys. Is the New Star Fox worth the 60 bucks?

Yeah, I absolutely think so. Using the gamepad screen along with the main screen is the biggest issue, because it sounds really weird, and is going to be awkward at first, but as you get used to it, learning how to use both screens and that you don't need to be jumping between both screens all the time, or knowing when it's necessary, it'll really open up to you fairly quickly as you catch on to how the game works. And when it does click, it's amazing.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

BigRed0427 posted:

The big make or break sounds like it's been the controls, which do take some practice and getting used to. If you're familiar with Splatoon then the motion controls should click a little better, but like someone mentioned a bit ago, you can also set them so they'll only activate when you hit ZR for something a little more intuitive. Remember that it's mostly just for finer aiming, the game plays pretty similar to SF64 most of the time. The cockpit view also isn't as bad as I thought it would be, which is nice! It's not a constant thing you need to check on, but as you play you'll get a better feel for when you do need to quickly glance down and realign yourself.

The game is also "short", but idk what you're looking at a Star Fox game for if you don't intend to replay stages to improve your score, collect medals, find other routes, etc.

All in all, I've been having a lot of fun with it! It's been scratching that on rail/flying/score attack kind of itch I've had, so if you're into those kind of games I highly recommend Zero. Guard has also been a pretty fun and solid tower defense game, though I haven't delved into that as much just yet.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

The level right before Venom was a total "yup, Platinum did this" part for me.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
OK but star fox or dark souls 3

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Dark Souls 3

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

RC Cola posted:

OK but star fox or dark souls 3

yes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark Souls 3 is the better game for sure but they're in such different genres you can't really compare them.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
The controls are easily the "flawed" part of this game, and the player is subject to an adjustment period when starting out. But that's it.

The game is fun and a good time and that's really all that matters to me. The core mechanics of SF64 are intact, and expanded on to reward the player a bit more for skill rather than mindless shooting or charge spamming. There are 14 stages and 8 bonus areas but all of them (so far) have been nothing but fun to play. Yes, even the gyrocopter levels.

No, this isn't No Man's Star Fox 64 Part 2. What's here is a really goddamned fun arcade space shooter that provides plenty of room for player improvement after the first play-through and offers several medals' worth of objectives in each level to encourage additional replays beyond high scores.

There is the review you need to justify your purchase now go buy it and have fun!

Guard is also fun but kind of boring starting out until you finish up the first world and unlock squads.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The controls are really tricky at the moment and I feel like i'm having it recalibrate constantly.

That said at some points it feels really good, like it clicks for a moment and I understand how I should be controlling it to get the most.

Still not sure this is really worth the €50 yet though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So I guess I'm retarded at the controls still because the free range mode or whatever still eludes me a bit. Is there a certain thing I'm supposed to do to kill that pig fucker on level 3? I just turned using brakes and boosters to catch him behind me and then hit him with some lasers and charge shots until he zoomed out of my view, but it felt like that took way longer than it should have and it was tedious as hell. And the one guy kept telling me to use the targeting thing but all that does is show me that he's perpetually behind me and doesn't seem to help me do anything about it.

ProTips?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Somersault if he's behind you. Else bank left or right till he's in view. U-turn also helps.

Try to use charge shots if you're having trouble using the standard shot.

Just use the lock on to see where he is then adjust without it.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah, use the target lock to get a bead on him. You don't have to hold it for longer than a second or so, just enough to get the lock and then you can let go and adjust your ship to face him.

If he ends up behind you just do a summersault to get behind him and blast away. Don't worry about using charged shots on them, just press and hold fire for a half second, just to get a full laser barrage out, and then repeat that if he zooms out of view.

Using the first person view will result in greater accuracy than relying on the third person view for all-range sections.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

raditts posted:

So I guess I'm retarded at the controls still because the free range mode or whatever still eludes me a bit. Is there a certain thing I'm supposed to do to kill that pig fucker on level 3? I just turned using brakes and boosters to catch him behind me and then hit him with some lasers and charge shots until he zoomed out of my view, but it felt like that took way longer than it should have and it was tedious as hell. And the one guy kept telling me to use the targeting thing but all that does is show me that he's perpetually behind me and doesn't seem to help me do anything about it.

ProTips?

Try a somersault.

No, really. If a guy is behind you all the time, use a somersault and he'll fly past you, netting you an opportunity to shoot his rear end. The targeting thing is better used in quick moments to get a lock on where he is in relation to you, then you can hold right or left on the right stick to turn a bit better to get in a better position, or if he's somewhere far away from you behind you, try using a U-Turn. And note that you have gyro aiming, so you don't need to be lined up with him exactly. get him into your forward field of view and start blasting away. Just keep firing with normal shots to rack up damage quick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

raditts posted:

ProTips?

For basically every dogfight:

Don't lock on constantly. Use it if you lose track.
Do a loop to get around them.
Use rapid-fire lasers instead of charge shots if you can, they add up damage quickly.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

If you're using rapid-fire lasers, hold down the button for, like, half a second to fire volleys instead of rapidly tapping the button. It'll fire shots faster, keep your aim steadier, and kill things quicker.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I loving LOVE THE ROBOT FROG IN GUARD

HOLY poo poo THIS loving FROG

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

XavierGenisi posted:

Try a somersault.

No, really. If a guy is behind you all the time, use a somersault and he'll fly past you, netting you an opportunity to shoot his rear end. The targeting thing is better used in quick moments to get a lock on where he is in relation to you, then you can hold right or left on the right stick to turn a bit better to get in a better position, or if he's somewhere far away from you behind you, try using a U-Turn. And note that you have gyro aiming, so you don't need to be lined up with him exactly. get him into your forward field of view and start blasting away. Just keep firing with normal shots to rack up damage quick.

I did try somersaults and u-turns, but usually he'd be too far behind me for somersaults to be effective and when I u-turned he'd zoom past so he'd be behind me again by the animation was finished.

How do I keep using normal shots as opposed to charge shots? Just mash the shoot button instead of holding it?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

deadwing posted:

YEA boi, Singing Re:bot is the best bot

raditts posted:

How do I keep using normal shots as opposed to charge shots? Just mash the shoot button instead of holding it?

Press and hold fire for a half-second or so, until the full volley gets out, then let go, and repeat as necessary; If you mash the button it'll spit out shots at a slower rate.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 24, 2016

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

deadwing posted:

Re:bot is a good and dear friend :3:

raditts posted:

I did try somersaults and u-turns, but usually he'd be too far behind me for somersaults to be effective and when I u-turned he'd zoom past so he'd be behind me again by the animation was finished.

Just tap the button for regular shots, yeah. As for the actual fight, don't somersault until he's right up behind you (usually there's a small red "!" to let you know, or your team will holler at you). If you're having trouble tracking and shooting down the guy, try being patient and letting him chase after you. My experience so far is that enemies in dogfights will pretty regularly circle around and try to attack you from behind, there's plenty of chances to somersault and return fire when they do.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Played some more of this today. I managed to get the "Mission Accomplished" in Corneria. :toot: Using the cockpit view is indeed what my problem was with using Target mode.

Maybe it's because I've used the gryo in Splatoon since day one, but I haven't had a single issue with the controls. Even the helicopter thingy in Zoness was fine. Haven't tired the Landmaster yet.

I'm calling the game good!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i want to kiss wolf, on the mouth

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Any tips for the Andross fight? I'm legit having trouble dodging his attacks.

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Any tips for the Andross fight? I'm legit having trouble dodging his attacks.

I would Dodge roll out of the way on the overhead slap, and fly right under and away on the two-handed clap attack. When he charges up for eye laser, keep Target Lock on and circle around, doing somersaults to dodge easily. Save the Rings on the outside for when you really need it.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Regarding Andross: If you manage to get and keep hyper lasers, you don't have to dodge any of his attacks. Well, you've still got to dodge the lasers.

Failing that, remember that if you keep him targeted, you'll barrel roll with a single tap of the stick.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wish there were more on rails levels, or even a single on rails boss.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I'm gonna try something crazy and play with the cockpit on the TV. I've been using the cockpit view way more often than the main view as of late.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

Pomp posted:

I wish there were more on rails levels, or even a single on rails boss.

Wait, all the bosses are seriously all-range? That's pretty sad if true, the on-rails bosses in 64 were fantastic.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

George Lazenby posted:

Wait, all the bosses are seriously all-range? That's pretty sad if true, the on-rails bosses in 64 were fantastic.

It's maybe my least favorite thing about the game, especially when some of the bosses would have been a lot more fun on rails. Fortuna's boss being the most obvious in my opinion.

Anyway, multiplayer just adds so much to this game it's amazing. My girlfriend likes shooting without having to worry about flying, and I like flying without the added responsibility of shooting everything down. Co-op even had me wishing there were more Zoness type levels, because that poo poo is golden with 2 people.

EDIT: While I'm at it, here's what the game feels like it's missing. The chance to go back and play levels as Kat or Bill or even Wolf. Online 2 v 2 co-op multiplayer. A Sauria stage. One level with the Roadmaster (maybe the aforementioned Sauria stage). This last one might only apply to me, but I'd play a whole game where one person flew a gyrowing while the other traversed the stage as the Direct-i.

EDIT: I really want a sequel. Sadly, the Wii U wont be around for it.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 24, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How do secret stages work exactly? I went back to stage 1 and clicked the switch with the walker and took the tunnel path. Saved the dog ship and it just led me to saving Pepper again, I even finished off the boss by flying inside the ship and blowing it up this time and nothin'.

Also I turned motion controls off and it's making a world of difference though it still feels like the blaster is a little inaccurate for whatever reason. I really want to like this game

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How do secret stages work exactly? I went back to stage 1 and clicked the switch with the walker and took the tunnel path. Saved the dog ship and it just led me to saving Pepper again, I even finished off the boss by flying inside the ship and blowing it up this time and nothin'.

Also I turned motion controls off and it's making a world of difference though it still feels like the blaster is a little inaccurate for whatever reason. I really want to like this game

I'm not completely sure, but I was able to get that path after I got a message like "Another teleporter has appeared near Corneria!" So I think you need to either finish a certain level or accomplish a specific thing before you can take a path off of a level.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Protip: Do a U-Turn during the final escape sequence after you pass Star Ghost Dad. Finding all of the Mission Accomplished requirements in this game is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Pro-tip for Lone Wolf: Use lock-on with the walker while Wolf is flying to melt his health away. The catch is that you basically can't dodge his special attack while in walker so be careful after he goes down to half health.

• Locked thread