Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
All these adorable pseudo father-daughter bonding pages are starting to make me worry about what else happens in this chapter :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

For now I think it's more coming down from the misery of the first silver bits. Everyone licking their wounds and consoling each other. Though I'm sure there's plenty of suffering yet to come.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Yeah, I expect we've got a chapter or two of... relative happiness yet.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Also, I appreciate that Duane is still offering alternative suggestions for Sette's tail.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

In case readers haven't yet gotten the hint, Sette's recounting of what happened to her last night uses the same sort of imagery that we usually see when she lies to herself about the past. Girl needs a therapist, but all she's got is a confused zombie.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

blastron posted:

In case readers haven't yet gotten the hint, Sette's recounting of what happened to her last night uses the same sort of imagery that we usually see when she lies to herself about the past. Girl needs a therapist, but all she's got is a confused zombie.

:smith:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't understand why Sette would downgrade stabbin' a man in the dick to biting his ear off. That's a thing to be proud of!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't understand why Sette would downgrade stabbin' a man in the dick to biting his ear off. That's a thing to be proud of!

I can see why she'd rather stray away from how and why she stabbed him in the dick. And the reason for said stabbing she'd probably like to forget.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 7, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, she clearly doesn't want to think about it and I can't blame her, but she really needs therapy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The guy was clearly about to give her the rapy, but she didn't want any of it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Duane's smile and optimism: regained.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

That second to last panel is amazing avatar material. I really like where this is headed. :allears:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aw, how cute.

There's no way this can last.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

It's a nice touch with Duane's pymaric eyes also being blocked out along with Boo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can't wait for the long road trip where Duane and Sette are 50 feet away from Matty and his papa and they resolutely try to ignore eachother the whole way.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The comments for this page are more interesting than the page itself. :pwn:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

After following this comic and Ashley for so long it doesn't surprise me at all that she would take a "ignore him if you don't like him, we should all be grateful for free speech" stance, but the truth is Unsounded is a private website and she's under no obligation to give anyone a voice, especially not someone as disruptive, creepy, and unpleasant as you-know-who. Banning someone from the comments has nothing to do with free speech. And, honestly? Ashley's holding her readers to a higher standard than she does herself. There have been a few annoying pedants in her askbox who she's told to gently caress off about such-and-such topic in polite terms.

Moderation enriches the conversation and keeps things on topic. At this point Ashley's allowing her comic's comments to be ruined for no reason. I think many of us realized that a long time ago and have been ignoring them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Whether it be for news articles, Youtube videos or webcomics - never read the comments.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Duane doesn't think much of Quigley's parenting skills and Quigley knows it and he resents Duane like mad for it because he knows there's an element of truth in it and anyway, how dare a dead guy have an opinion on him and Duane knows what Quigley thinks about dead guys and basically they're never going to be friends, no matter how cute and conciliatory Matti attempts to be.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lol 'element' of truth

this is a comic of supernaturally bad dads

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Quigley dad level: Fair.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also he has bias because the rest of the zombies plods in the world are unthinking slaves. It's like trusting a black man in the pre-civil war south if blacks were also known to feast on human flesh when they got loose.

Also they probably beat it pretty hard into wrights in school that resurrecting the dead is impossible. He must've heard tale of a few failed attempts to bring back loved ones that went really bad.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Isn't the biggest thing the fact that he's seen Duane in nighttime zombie mode? Like, he seemed like he was leaning towards believing, and being a part of Team Dwayne, until he saw dude go all Dawn of the Dead and thought to himself "Oh poo poo, dodged a bullet there!"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

he's a guy who sneers at p much everybody and is a dick to them because he is acutely aware he's the lowest of the low, and everyone except Matty knows it

he amps up the hate when Duane's around because he's the rotten cannibal corpse who loudly judges him and also really is better than him at doing everything he does. Like, at least when Starfish was around he wasn't the worst guy in the room. He's just also able to work with people he loving hates when the chips are down because well that's what he does for a living.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 23, 2016

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

he's a guy who sneers at p much everybody and is a dick to them because he is acutely aware he's the lowest of the low, and everyone except Matty knows it

he amps up the hate when Duane's around because he's the rotten cannibal corpse who loudly judges him and also really is better than him at doing everything he does. Like, at least when Starfish was around he wasn't the worst guy in the room. He's just also able to work with people he loving hates when the chips are down because well that's what he does for a living.

I think he's so down on Duane in this scene because he was brutally owned by Rahm like 3 minutes ago and is taking out his frustration on a safe target. I mean the reader knows that for all Duane is a jingoistic religious nut he can pretty much always be counted on to do the right thing without hesitation or second thoughts whenever the chips are down. Quigley's a guy who has gotten a bad deal in life and has made it his business to spite those that look down on him. In the end, Quigley does have a sense of right and wrong; he's just shoved them aside while justifying his actions with the lovely world he lives in and the lovely life he's led. Someone who's had it worse and is better (both as a mage and as a person) cuts too close to the underpinnings of Quigley's ego.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nah, he's more a tragic figure. Real sympathetic, considering how he clings to all that he has left of his wife.

...everybody's seen that drat play.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

lol 'element' of truth

this is a comic of supernaturally bad dads

hey, the supernatural one is, by everything we've seen so far, a pretty good dad.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

hey, the supernatural one is, by everything we've seen so far, a pretty good dad.

the undead horror is the ur-dad to remind you that the childhood of literally every other kid in the story is hosed up and not normal

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Hey, Jivi's dad seems to be the least hosed up and not normal part of his childhood.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

A.o.D. posted:

A warm, loving, kind father who always does the right thing... until night falls and he turns into a unreasonable nightmarish monster that doesn't care who he hurts and has to be locked away for everyone else's safety.

AKA Fantasy Alcoholism. :getin:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

A warm, loving, kind father who always does the right thing... until night falls and he turns into a unreasonable nightmarish monster that doesn't care who he hurts and has to be locked away for everyone else's safety.

AKA Fantasy Alcoholism. :getin:

In my experience, alcoholism and abuse isn't nocturnal.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

In my experience, alcoholism and abuse isn't nocturnal.

the fantasy bit is there's ever really the first part

still lol

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Duane is an rear end in a top hat and it's hilarious.

Also, anyone know about the "incivility" in her comments section or whatever that's mentioned in the update description? She's threatening to take it down entirely now.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

FourLeaf posted:

After following this comic and Ashley for so long it doesn't surprise me at all that she would take a "ignore him if you don't like him, we should all be grateful for free speech" stance, but the truth is Unsounded is a private website and she's under no obligation to give anyone a voice, especially not someone as disruptive, creepy, and unpleasant as you-know-who. Banning someone from the comments has nothing to do with free speech. And, honestly? Ashley's holding her readers to a higher standard than she does herself. There have been a few annoying pedants in her askbox who she's told to gently caress off about such-and-such topic in polite terms.

Moderation enriches the conversation and keeps things on topic. At this point Ashley's allowing her comic's comments to be ruined for no reason. I think many of us realized that a long time ago and have been ignoring them.

Moderation is a huge pain in the rear, since once you start, you're gonna get constant complaints from whoever you ban and whoever's annoyed at the people you didn't ban. Totally reasonable to not want to wade into that serpent's nest, imo - there are better uses for time and energy than yet another internet comments section.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Roland Jones posted:

Duane is an rear end in a top hat and it's hilarious.

Also, anyone know about the "incivility" in her comments section or whatever that's mentioned in the update description? She's threatening to take it down entirely now.

Lets be fair though

Is it really being an rear end in a top hat if it's Quigley or is it just karma

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PleasingFungus posted:

Moderation is a huge pain in the rear, since once you start, you're gonna get constant complaints from whoever you ban and whoever's annoyed at the people you didn't ban. Totally reasonable to not want to wade into that serpent's nest, imo - there are better uses for time and energy than yet another internet comments section.

That is fair, but she's putting the blame on people for being upset at someone who was trashing the place and saying "well if you all can't be mature enough to accept his immaturity you don't deserve a comments section", which is ridiculous. Making it into a matter of free speech is particularly ludicrous.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Roland Jones posted:

Someone using the name "Mad'Monster'Maniac" is apparently quite obsessive in his posting. Last time he came up with a theory that Sette is afflicted with a real-world congenital malformation and managed to get the whole comment thread derailed by his discussion of what he thinks Sette's crotch looks like, combined with his invitation to do a google image search.

Suffice to say, that was not very welcome.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :allears:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

That is fair, but she's putting the blame on people for being upset at someone who was trashing the place and saying "well if you all can't be mature enough to accept his immaturity you don't deserve a comments section", which is ridiculous. Making it into a matter of free speech is particularly ludicrous.

"I can't ban the by far and away worst commenter on my sight that has hijacked the comments section and almost single handedly made them unbearable because of free speech!" *Threatens to take down the otherwise good other then that one person and the responses comment section as a solution, completely forgets the free speech argument* I usually just skip the lousy comments section that has been taken hostage and just check out the ama questions on the tumblr, where you can actually learn some things.

As for things that are actually cool, Duanes confetti attack and the faces in the last panel are hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

'don't feed the troll' is like the oldest internet saying there is, you're already acting like you're entitled to someone taking a fulltime unpaid job to babysit you and a hundred other randos why on earth would anyone in their right mind commit to making your happiness with the state of internet commenting their responsibility

'if yall can't deal with unmoderated comments I'll just turn them off' is a perfectly reasonable policy for someone who isn't getting something incredibly rewarding from their comments section

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 25, 2016