Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I want a Phoenix Wright fighting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Question for someone knowledgeable in sticks: I got the Chun li TE2 and very recently when I downback on the p1 side it occasionally freaks out entering down/downback inputs while I hold downback going by the training mode indicator. There's no dust or hairs or what have you in there and I just don't know what the issue might be.

*edit*

For more context, even the slightest bit of movement while still being in the player one downback "click" of the stick for lack of a better term, will send the inputs crazy constantly going down/downback.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 23, 2016

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Evil Canadian posted:

Question for someone knowledgeable in sticks: I got the Chun li TE2 and very recently when I downback on the p1 side it occasionally freaks out entering down/downback inputs while I hold downback going by the training mode indicator. There's no dust or hairs or what have you in there and I just don't know what the issue might be.

*edit*

For more context, even the slightest bit of movement while still being in the player one downback "click" of the stick for lack of a better term, will send the inputs crazy constantly going down/downback.

This is a pretty common thing with JLFs. The easiest fix is to just buy a new microswitch assembly and replace it:

http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/omron-microswitches/242-sanwa-replacement-tp-ma-pcb-assembly-855742002429.html

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

This is a pretty common thing with JLFs. The easiest fix is to just buy a new microswitch assembly and replace it:

http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/omron-microswitches/242-sanwa-replacement-tp-ma-pcb-assembly-855742002429.html

I suppose I will order that then, but is there anything in the quicker fix department as well? I got a tournament next week and I don't wanna rely on complete strangers to borrow a stick.

*ed*

Actually, would I be able to cannibalize my 360 te for the same part?

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 23, 2016

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I bought Skullgirls and BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger on Steam a while back during a sale and I found that I like BlazBlue a lot more (Skullgirls felt kinda slow and clunky to me) so I want to get another 2D fighting game that's like BlazBlue. But I saw in the OP that that the recommended anime style 2D fighting game at the moment is Guilty Gear which is also on Steam but I also have a PS4. So I have two questions: Should I get the newest BlazBlue game or the newest Guilty Gear game? The second question is should I get either game on Steam for $30 or buy either one for PS4 on Amazon for ~$26? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

punk rebel ecks posted:

I want a Phoenix Wright fighting game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbzuoK47cPs#t=28s

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

spasticColon posted:

I bought Skullgirls and BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger on Steam a while back during a sale and I found that I like BlazBlue a lot more (Skullgirls felt kinda slow and clunky to me) so I want to get another 2D fighting game that's like BlazBlue. But I saw in the OP that that the recommended anime style 2D fighting game at the moment is Guilty Gear which is also on Steam but I also have a PS4. So I have two questions: Should I get the newest BlazBlue game or the newest Guilty Gear game? The second question is should I get either game on Steam for $30 or buy either one for PS4 on Amazon for ~$26? Thanks in advance for the replies.

BB CP:EX is really solid. CF, the newest version was just announced for consoles, but it almost certainly won't be out until the end of the year. Guilty Gear Xrd's newest version, Revelator is coming out in a few weeks and looks fantastic, so I'd wait on Revelator and grab CP:EX. If you like Calamity Trigger, you'll greatly enjoy CPEX as it light years beyond CT in almost every aspect.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Chickenfrogman posted:

BB CP:EX is really solid. CF, the newest version was just announced for consoles, but it almost certainly won't be out until the end of the year. Guilty Gear Xrd's newest version, Revelator is coming out in a few weeks and looks fantastic, so I'd wait on Revelator and grab CP:EX. If you like Calamity Trigger, you'll greatly enjoy CPEX as it light years beyond CT in almost every aspect.

So just get Chronophantasma Extend on Steam for now? Or buy a physical copy for my PS4 on Amazon?

Edit: buying Chronophantasma Extend on Steam because I don't want to wait for a physical copy from Amazon.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 23, 2016

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Canadian posted:

Actually, would I be able to cannibalize my 360 te for the same part?

Yeah, you can. Just lift the entire joystick out of your TE1, though, it's a lot easier than disassembling it for switches.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, you can. Just lift the entire joystick out of your TE1, though, it's a lot easier than disassembling it for switches.

Just replacing the switch assembly is much easier. All you have to do is open the case, take off the gate and unplug the cable and it lifts right off.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

This match is pretty amazing; not because of the 2 PW's (though it helps).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Floe's one of the few streamers I actually consider giving money to now and again.

I mean mostly so I can give him a terrible challenge to suffer through, but even still, he's danced (Literally some even) for my amusement long enough to feel like it's fair.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

So I finally downloaded FightCade and decided to try out Karnov's Revenge because I remembered playing it as a kid once or twice, but the only other guy on there was a Brazilian dude who wrecked my poo poo fifteen times in a row with Lee because one combo would dizzy me and the next would bring me to a sliver of health. poo poo's crazy.

A++ will play again

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Melty Blood is loving awesome. So much fun. Been playing the Steam release.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I can't get DS4Windows to recognize that my Hori Fighting Commander even exists, even after i've downloaded the drivers. What am I doing wrong? Is D24Windows only meant to work with a dual shock controller?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Is D4Windows only meant to work with a dual shock controller?

Mostly yeah, it masks that you're using a DS4 and tells the computer you're actually using an Xboner pad, which because things are dumb, makes it more compatible with a ton more things.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Am I stuck using joy2key then?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Hobojim posted:

So I finally downloaded FightCade and decided to try out Karnov's Revenge because I remembered playing it as a kid once or twice, but the only other guy on there was a Brazilian dude who wrecked my poo poo fifteen times in a row with Lee because one combo would dizzy me and the next would bring me to a sliver of health. poo poo's crazy.

A++ will play again

The only reason to play Karnov's revenge is for the boner noise that plays when you get dizzy.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Am I stuck using joy2key then?

I've heard good things about InputMapper.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

I've heard good things about InputMapper.

It doesn't seem to detect the hori FC4

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Night Blade posted:

The only reason to play Karnov's revenge is for the boner noise that plays when you get dizzy.

I heard that a lot and just thought Lee got really excited when he Bill Cosby'd somebody in a match. Good to know it's universal.

I'm also trying out Garou Mark of the Wolf, that's a bit more complicated than Karnov's Revenge. Not a ton of info out there, but I THINK I have some very basics down with Gato for now, plus some combo that does like 90% damage in the corner. I thought it would play more like KoF, but turns out I'm pretty wrong on that front. Fightcade is fun.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Hobojim posted:

I heard that a lot and just thought Lee got really excited when he Bill Cosby'd somebody in a match. Good to know it's universal.

I'm also trying out Garou Mark of the Wolf, that's a bit more complicated than Karnov's Revenge. Not a ton of info out there, but I THINK I have some very basics down with Gato for now, plus some combo that does like 90% damage in the corner. I thought it would play more like KoF, but turns out I'm pretty wrong on that front. Fightcade is fun.

what do you mean not a ton of info?

heres some info:

that game loving sucks

also this:
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Garou:_Mark_of_the_Wolves

there actually is a plethora of info out there for practically every game if you know where to look. srk wiki has poo poo for most of the games that get played on fightcade. between this and youtube you now have enough information to learn for yourself why garou is a monster piece of poo poo.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Zand posted:

what do you mean not a ton of info?

heres some info:

that game loving sucks

also this:
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Garou:_Mark_of_the_Wolves

there actually is a plethora of info out there for practically every game if you know where to look. srk wiki has poo poo for most of the games that get played on fightcade. between this and youtube you now have enough information to learn for yourself why garou is a monster piece of poo poo.

I looked at the SRK wiki. The general mechanics are outlined pretty well but there's not a ton of info beyond very basic combos for most of the characters (except for Rock Howard for some reason? I guess he's popular despite everybody saying he's awful.)

Like, I was trying to figure out some stuff with Gato but even with youtube there's like two matches where he's being played. I'm sure info is out there, I didn't look that hard, but it's jarring going from newer popular games to fightcade things.

I also didn't realize the game sucked, I have two friends who insist it's the best fighting game ever aside from 3rd strike which I hate. I'm open to suggestions, though.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Hobojim posted:

I looked at the SRK wiki. The general mechanics are outlined pretty well but there's not a ton of info beyond very basic combos for most of the characters (except for Rock Howard for some reason? I guess he's popular despite everybody saying he's awful.)

Like, I was trying to figure out some stuff with Gato but even with youtube there's like two matches where he's being played. I'm sure info is out there, I didn't look that hard, but it's jarring going from newer popular games to fightcade things.

I also didn't realize the game sucked, I have two friends who insist it's the best fighting game ever aside from 3rd strike which I hate. I'm open to suggestions, though.

the game is only fun because it sucks. free guard cancels and an instant block that heals you are great fun if you aren't an awful player, especially if there is a skill disparity. thats not a reason to not play it by any means... most of the most fun games are loving atrocious once you explore them enough. playing garou well against people that think its good is a great feeling. most pages on the wiki have a cancel chart and the game is pretty easy to explore the feint cancels and stuff in. there are some really neat tool assisted vids for garou as well that are worth checking out to see some of the potential for different stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6YaNpANVpc

if you want to play the busted poo poo, just pick kevin

edit: wowwww thats the worst one in that tas series for sure. the other ones are way cooler :|

Zand fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 24, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
garou is really fun until you learn the game which is why its pretty highly regarded among the general populace but has no competitive scene. its a really good Do Some Moves game and if you're goofing off with bad ppl it owns (moreso than most games)

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it some more time tomorrow.

I really only started playing fighting games beyond a casual level late last year, so I'm trying to expand my horizons somewhat considering the only non-SF game I know how to play is KoFXIII. I've played the older Steam KoF games somewhat as well. Glancing at the numbers on fightcade at the moment, aside from KoF 98 and 02 it looks like most people play 3rd strike (in which I have no interest), Marvel vs. Capcom (which I kind of hated) and Vampire Saviour. I think I'll try VSav next.

Any hidden gems that I should be checking out? There's also a bunch of people on JoJo's, maybe I'll give that a shot too. I don't particularly care about the number of people playing, I'm just using popularity as a measure of quality which I realize isn't the best idea.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Hobojim posted:

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it some more time tomorrow.

I really only started playing fighting games beyond a casual level late last year, so I'm trying to expand my horizons somewhat considering the only non-SF game I know how to play is KoFXIII. I've played the older Steam KoF games somewhat as well. Glancing at the numbers on fightcade at the moment, aside from KoF 98 and 02 it looks like most people play 3rd strike (in which I have no interest), Marvel vs. Capcom (which I kind of hated) and Vampire Saviour. I think I'll try VSav next.

Any hidden gems that I should be checking out? There's also a bunch of people on JoJo's, maybe I'll give that a shot too. I don't particularly care about the number of people playing, I'm just using popularity as a measure of quality which I realize isn't the best idea.

using popularity isnt the best idea but its the easiest way to find varied skill levels of players. thats the real trouble with fightcade, when you're bad at any game and if it only has a few people in the room they might be gods. like in the vsav room theres a total of like 10 people that even play and to get to their level its going to take a LOT of grinding. finding bad players like yourself outside of fightcade, like in IRC rooms and in this thread or others and grinding out matches with them can help catch up.

as far as games worth messing around in on fightcade, I personally mess around in quite a few games.

breakers revenge is really fun but its filled with rear end in a top hat players and also you will lose a lot.
xmen cota has like randomly 1 person in the room and its loving BattousaiCV and you will only lose and never win.
karnovs has only killers also...
marvel super heroes is the same...
cyberbots is a cool game with like 2 players... and they are way better than you
xmen vs sf has a medium-sized and varied player pool but its mostly killers..
kof98 and 2k2 are cool because they have a lot of middle-of-the-road players in both rooms from all over the world.
3s has a high variation in skill levels but if you're starting now you're going to be really behind. there are people in there that even I can beat so you probably have a chance.
ST is extremely unforgiving (its in the list as Super Street Fighter II X Grand Master Challenge btw). there are tons of bad players but even people just running gimmicks in this game can be very frustrating.
SFA3 is a horrible game much like garou but its fun for a laugh. lots of good players in the room but mostly mediocre kaillera caliber stars
SFA2 is a decent enough game but the emulation in this current version of FBA sucks so bad. it may be possible to have fun in this game!
jojos... good loving luck. cool game but http://wiki.standcrash.com/index.php?title=Main_Page hit the books if you want to win

oh, and puzzle fighter is on there. i'm trying to play but the people in there are too good.

Fighting randoms on fightcade is fun sometimes but especially when you're just getting started, having battle buddies you can depend on is where its at.

Oh, and IMO the best way to get good at fighting games in general is to play as many games as possible. there does exist a general skillset for playing fighters that can be difficult to develop if you only play a few (especially newer) games

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Come to BBJ or Tabs for JoJo tips

Or Fayk if he's around, he's the JoJo Brain Game

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
jojo's is a hard loving game that's why my entire gameplan is dashing poke buffered into red bind

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

its me, I'm the bad fightcade player who will be on equal footing with you whichever game you pick.

Right now I want to play kof98, cota, and alpha 2 when the new fightcade is out

http://steamcommunity.com/id/booyah-

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pomp posted:

jojo's is a hard loving game that's why my entire gameplan is dashing poke buffered into red bind

I mean that's not really a bad strategy, believe it or not

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Zand posted:

using popularity isnt the best idea but its the easiest way to find varied skill levels of players. thats the real trouble with fightcade, when you're bad at any game and if it only has a few people in the room they might be gods. like in the vsav room theres a total of like 10 people that even play and to get to their level its going to take a LOT of grinding. finding bad players like yourself outside of fightcade, like in IRC rooms and in this thread or others and grinding out matches with them can help catch up.

as far as games worth messing around in on fightcade, I personally mess around in quite a few games.

breakers revenge is really fun but its filled with rear end in a top hat players and also you will lose a lot.
xmen cota has like randomly 1 person in the room and its loving BattousaiCV and you will only lose and never win.
karnovs has only killers also...
marvel super heroes is the same...
cyberbots is a cool game with like 2 players... and they are way better than you
xmen vs sf has a medium-sized and varied player pool but its mostly killers..
kof98 and 2k2 are cool because they have a lot of middle-of-the-road players in both rooms from all over the world.
3s has a high variation in skill levels but if you're starting now you're going to be really behind. there are people in there that even I can beat so you probably have a chance.
ST is extremely unforgiving (its in the list as Super Street Fighter II X Grand Master Challenge btw). there are tons of bad players but even people just running gimmicks in this game can be very frustrating.
SFA3 is a horrible game much like garou but its fun for a laugh. lots of good players in the room but mostly mediocre kaillera caliber stars
SFA2 is a decent enough game but the emulation in this current version of FBA sucks so bad. it may be possible to have fun in this game!
jojos... good loving luck. cool game but http://wiki.standcrash.com/index.php?title=Main_Page hit the books if you want to win

oh, and puzzle fighter is on there. i'm trying to play but the people in there are too good.

Fighting randoms on fightcade is fun sometimes but especially when you're just getting started, having battle buddies you can depend on is where its at.

Oh, and IMO the best way to get good at fighting games in general is to play as many games as possible. there does exist a general skillset for playing fighters that can be difficult to develop if you only play a few (especially newer) games

Thanks a ton for the writeup. I tried out COTA and Vsav a bit, but nobody was around to play COTA so I just played on my own. That game seems ridiculous, I was trying out Psylocke and split into a bunch of Psylockes at once but didn't know which one was the real me. Seems fun, even if I had no idea what I was doing. I got demolished in Vsav trying to figure out the basics, so I'll have to go back to that one again later.

Played a long set of Karnov against some dude and was holding my own against his Ryoko, but then he switched to Samchay and beat me ten in a row and then to Ray and ruined me even worse. Some of the stuff in that game seems hard to punish, but I think I should probably be throwing more instead of trying to do combos.

I have no problems losing a ton while I learn, that's basically how I picked up KoFXIII considering the only people still playing it when I picked it up were obsessed with it and absolute killers. Now I can beat two or three people!

Booyah, you're already on my friends' list on steam, we'll have to play sometime soon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I've got finals for this week and the next but i'll happily play vsav with people after that

I have some experience but I'm not as good as any of the channel regulars.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My experience with Marvel vs Capcom is that people will mostly run a train on you but it'll be fun...until someone picks Gold War Machine. Oh my God, the top tier on that game is idiotic. ST is a fun game but you just get murdered unless you know your poo poo, which is why I liked playing A2 more, because I clearly don't know my poo poo. I dislike 3S, but you can get matches on your level if you're okay-ish at fighting games and pick Chun. This is all I can say for Fightcade games.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hobojim posted:

I tried out COTA and Vsav a bit, but nobody was around to play COTA so I just played on my own. That game seems ridiculous, I was trying out Psylocke and split into a bunch of Psylockes at once but didn't know which one was the real me. Seems fun, even if I had no idea what I was doing.

It's based on the punch/kick level you pick. :D

X-Men: COTA I hold such fond memories for as it was the beginning of that series of games. I was a Street Fighter nerd but was a huge comic book nerd as well, and it came out the year I went to college so it was the perfect storm of "HOLY poo poo THIS IS AMAZING". I really wish it had gotten a proper Xbox Live/PSN Re-release like Marvel Super Heroes and Marvel vs. Capcom 1/2. :(

Magneto was a giant dick.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That's two times people have mentioned that ST in fightcade is frustrating. I thought it was still the game novices were encouraged to pick up to learn the fundamentals so I imagined the population would be disparate between veterans and newcomers. Guess not?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Saoshyant posted:

That's two times people have mentioned that ST in fightcade is frustrating. I thought it was still the game novices were encouraged to pick up to learn the fundamentals so I imagined the population would be disparate between veterans and newcomers. Guess not?

I mean, it's really fast so it's not THAT frustrating, and the surface game itself is pretty simple, it's just VERY punishing, as Zand said, both because everything is tight and because everything hurts like hell.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Saoshyant posted:

ST damage, hitboxes and generally being a filthy game mean you get brutally murdered in 5 seconds for any hole in your fundamentals if you're playing a vet who knows all the filthy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Saoshyant posted:

you will learn the fundamentals very quickly precisely because people who are good will put you through the grinder if your defense and spacing are bad

there's a lot of bullshit in st but it's fun bullshit, and to get past it you need to be on point