Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

oldpainless posted:

I'm p sure you says a person has autism, not call them autistic.

I once got a stern talking to by a complete stranger for saying "person with autism". Apparently, I was robbing a theoretical person of their experience... somehow.

e: low effort STDH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
XDDD

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Marenghi posted:

A lot of stdh but a gyno saying a "pristine, perfect vagina" seems up there with top things that didn't happen.

poo poo that did happen:

I was having a general abdominal ultrasound a few weeks ago. The nice operator lady piped up "Oh, you have a lovely spleen!"

It's not quite as good as a pristine vagina but I'll take it.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

moerketid posted:

poo poo that did happen:

I was having a general abdominal ultrasound a few weeks ago. The nice operator lady piped up "Oh, you have a lovely spleen!"

To me, 'pristine vagina' means one that has never seen use of any type. I guess that's a fancy way for saying she's a virgin.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Khazar-khum posted:

To me, 'pristine vagina' means one that has never seen use of any type. I guess that's a fancy way for saying she's a virgin.

Uh there's like no circumstance where that makes sense.

Ladydocs give weird compliments to try and cut the awkward tension of having several digits and some plastic up in your business.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

cash crab posted:

I once got a stern talking to by a complete stranger for saying "person with autism". Apparently, I was robbing a theoretical person of their experience... somehow.

e: low effort STDH

Generally with "do I use 'person-first' terminology or not????" dilemmas the best thing to do is to use whatever the person in question feels most comfortable with. It tends to vary with different illnesses, disorders, personality types or conditions too, so you're more likely to see "deaf person" used than "person with hearing impairment". "Person with autism" or "autistic person" is largely down to personal preference and opinion. (Needless to say, "X is an autistic" or "X is an autist" is poor form.)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When in doubt just use the phrase (person) has "a touch of the 'tism"

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

oldpainless posted:

My brother doesn't think it's "appropriate" for me to say I have burgers of the rear end :saddowns:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

My brother doesn't think it's "appropriate" for me to say I have burgers of the rear end :saddowns:

Usually you'd make burgers out of ground chuck, but I guess rump could work. A waste, I'd say, but to each their own.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ugh, that reminds me of an really irritating pop psych quote I keep seeing

quote:

Labels consume peoples' identity. It's scary to me when people say, "I am ADD." Can you imagine someone declaring "I am asthma"

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

"I am ADD" is really awkward-sounding grammatically regardless.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
"I am asthmatic" -nobody, ever

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Ugh, that reminds me of an really irritating pop psych quote I keep seeing

i can certainly imagine it screenprinted onto a long black t shirt.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

"I am ADD" is really awkward-sounding grammatically regardless.

Now I am become ADD, the destroyer of focus

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bobby Digital posted:

Now I am become ADD, the destroyer of ooh, wait, what's that over there?

Fixed that for you.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Given the context of running 10 miles, i wonder how much time "in no time" is suppose to be.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Given the context of running 10 miles, i wonder how much time "in no time" is suppose to be.

My boyfriend abruptly hung up on me and I found him passed out on my step 2 hours later #futurehubby #olympics

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hello, ADD. I'm dad.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

oldpainless posted:

My grandma decided to finally tell me the big, obvious family secret (we are ever-so-minutely Egyptian) by telling me we have a "touch of the tarbrush." She was on many pills.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

40 minutes, 30 if he's in good shape and runs for sport. I was melting down and my BF suddenly hung upside on me and I was flapping around for only 40 minutes before he showed up. Because calling a cab and staying on a cell phone while you are on the way over isn't "romantic" enough I guess.

Religious Man
Nov 28, 2010

Perfect God and Perfect Man

Indolent Bastard posted:

40 minutes, 30 if he's in good shape and runs for sport. I was melting down and my BF suddenly hung upside on me and I was flapping around for only 40 minutes before he showed up. Because calling a cab and staying on a cell phone while you are on the way over isn't "romantic" enough I guess.

How fast do you think someone who "runs for sport" can run a mile?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

1. Since it's tumblr I'm willing to bet that the "panic disorder" is that they were triggered by seeing a pineapple on their dashboard or something.
2. Who the gently caress would hang up if someone is having a panic attack RIGHT AWAY AND THEN OMG RUN TO MEET THEM LLOL SUCH GOOD BOYFRIENd. In that situation I'd try to talk them through it and try to get over there. Barring that I'd try to have them talk to anyone around there or find something, anything, to settle their nerves. Not suddenly hang up and leave them to stew in their episode while probably making them think I just cut them off because I'm sick of their crazy poo poo.
(This is assuming any of this is true when it obviously isn't :v: )

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Indolent Bastard posted:

Bullshit. The 4-minute mile is still a thing and that makes 40 minutes at the minimum if they have superhuman-level endurance and stamina.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Indolent Bastard posted:

Hang on baby I'll just run ten four minute miles - be there in a mo xox

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Paladinus posted:

Hello, ADD. I'm dad.

I am dyslexic, but you don't have to say the same thing twice.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Weatherman posted:

Bullshit. The 4-minute mile is still a thing and that makes 40 minutes at the minimum if they have superhuman-level endurance and stamina.

Who was that infamous fat-activist that claimed that they could run a mile in a ridiculously short time (a minute, mayber?) ?

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
"Person with autism" chat -

The reason this kind of distinction exists is that it's based on trying to influence the mental models of that person, and others who interact with them.

The quote above about identity is relevant. If you, or others, describe yourself as a homeless person, it can suggest that it's an intrinsic part of your existence, and that you don't have agency. If it's framed as "someone experiencing homelessness" or "someone with depression" then there's a little message in there that suggests they don't have to experience those things. It suggests there may be methods and opportunities to improve a bad situation.

I'm not trying to say "easy solutions are right there in front of you, hobo! Just love yourself!!!" but the language in use has a lot of power over subconscious attitudes about self-identity, as well as how society studies/develops/applies ways to help you versus blame you. To say nothing of individual treatment from one person to another.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Kay Kessler posted:

Who was that infamous fat-activist that claimed that they could run a mile in a ridiculously short time (a minute, mayber?) ?

No luck searching google, but I did find this.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Kay Kessler posted:

thisisthinprivilege posted:

Thin privilege is being able to see a doctor about your knee fractures (genetic trait passed down from my mother) without being told that they are caused by your weight

I run a 4 minute mile and jog nearly 40 miles a month. I think my knees are in fine shape apart from this, and a doctor saying that I’m “dangerously overweight by 150lbs” (even if being overweight WAS dangerous) is obviously just trying to fat shame me and make me feel bad.

thin privilege is being taken seriously by a doctor.

It's a 4chan fakepost.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Minarchist posted:

It's a 4chan fakepost.

That one is, yes, but there's another one in facebook format where someone claims they ran something equating to ~4 minutes per mile and claims they just had a burst of energy or something when called out on it.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I can't find it but are you talking about that Facebook post where the girl is like whew good morning run! With some sort of overview of her run but then a guy in the comments is like you literally just broke the world record if this was real come on and they have a big argument

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

A panic attack? I'll be right over in 40 minutes just let me put on my gold medal i got for being the fastest motherfucker in history

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I remember that onebut also can't find it. It was some guy (thought it was a dude) who was all "yeah I p much never run and but I just had all this pent up energy so I went for a run an got [world-record time] which I guess is a good start" and doubled down when called out with "hey I had a LOT of pent up energy from sitting around how could you doubt me??"

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The world record for running speed is 27.8 mph. So just twenty minutes or so if boyfriend is as fast as Usain Bolt with unlimited stamina and is literally Captain America.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Was this posted yet

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

moerketid posted:

poo poo that did happen:

I got an ultrasound for abdominal/pelvic pain when I was younger and the tech said I had very textbook anatomy and called in students to take a look because it'd be a good learning moment. Sometimes doctors do weird things.

Speaking of, why would you take a kid to a psychiatrist for bullying? Psychiatrists manage diagnosis and medication. :psyduck: They don't manage therapy. That's psychologists.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

Are you talking about Reagan Chastain? aka Dances with Fat?

She's the one that's won "national dance titles" and is in "training" to do a full Triathalon despite being well past morbidly obese. I honestly can't tell if she's deluded or just cynically milking her supporters of PayPal donations and speaking fees at HAES gatherings.

Incidentally, I beleive most of her pre-Tri competitions were not even DNF, her listings reflect she never started the races (aka no show)

I mean, good on you if you're trying to be healthy (although I wouldn't recommend activity so demanding cardio-wise until your BMI is in line with it), but she's part of that vile HAES movement, and regularly dismisses the advice of her doctors since their advice always starts with "lose weight".

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I'm pleased to announce you are in shape.

Thanks doctor. HAES

Of course that shape is round.

How rude (dies at 44 after ten years of poor quality of life)

fistful of hammers
Nov 11, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

That one is, yes, but there's another one in facebook format where someone claims they ran something equating to ~4 minutes per mile and claims they just had a burst of energy or something when called out on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

She doesn't understand either time or distance. Or both.