Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Saoshyant posted:

That's two times people have mentioned that ST in fightcade is frustrating. I thought it was still the game novices were encouraged to pick up to learn the fundamentals so I imagined the population would be disparate between veterans and newcomers. Guess not?

ST isn't recommended to new players because it's easy for new players to win. Kind of the opposite, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
People don't tell newbies to play ST because it'll be a good experience right off the bat, they're either basing it on "well if they can survive this then a) they're not quitters and b) they'll be able to play anything else" or they're just loving with you.

Personally I'd suggest playing a game where you have the privilege up screwing up two or three times per round, I think your odds of learning from it and feeling comfortable enough to experiment are actually greater in that scenario.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 24, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
ST is recommended because it's "pure" SF, and basically the foundation for most fighting games ever since. It's really not newbie-friendly, but it's also very stripped down and rewards good footsies and solid play (unless you play claw because in ST damdai never feels helpless)

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Turned out to be super easy to cannibalize 360 stick for the microswitch and put it into the te2, thanks for the heads up everything works great now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I think we are all aware what ST is, how fast it is, how "pure" it is, etc, etc. I just imagined there would be tons of newcomers playing it on fightcade which would even out the odds for them, but this being such a niche hobby, I guess it really doesn't make much sense in practice. Most newcomers probably aren't even aware they should go for ST so they likely just stick to the online of big games (previously SF4, now SF5 and KI).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Saoshyant posted:

I think we are all aware what ST is, how fast it is, how "pure" it is, etc, etc. I just imagined there would be tons of newcomers playing which would even out the odds for them, but this being such a niche hobby, I guess it really doesn't make much sense in practice. Most newcomers probably aren't even aware they should go for ST so they likely just stick to the online of big games (previously SF4, now SF5 and KI).

That was kinda passive-agressive, but anyway, nowadays people don't even say "play ST", they say "play SF4/SFV because it's the one everyone plays". Now, if someone wants to learn fighting games, they might get directed to ST, but they're either gonna stick with it until they get real good or go play another game because ST Is Hard. So in practice there ain't a lot of complete newbies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Apart from King of Fighters the most populous room on GGPO Lobby / Fightcade always seems to be Third Strike, probably as a result of graphics + the words "Street Fighter" + a snowball effect because having lots of people brings more people in.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Saoshyant posted:

I think we are all aware what ST is, how fast it is, how "pure" it is, etc, etc. I just imagined there would be tons of newcomers playing it on fightcade which would even out the odds for them, but this being such a niche hobby, I guess it really doesn't make much sense in practice. Most newcomers probably aren't even aware they should go for ST so they likely just stick to the online of big games (previously SF4, now SF5 and KI).

i direct people to use pat miller's guide

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5axndoon7v0luj6/FightingGamePrimer.pdf?dl=0

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Apart from King of Fighters the most populous room on GGPO Lobby / Fightcade always seems to be Third Strike, probably as a result of graphics + the words "Street Fighter" + a snowball effect because having lots of people brings more people in.

3S kinda has a big community that stayed in 3S because that game is the most distinct SF outside of EX series. It's also really pretty, has a lot of flashy bullshit and the music is good.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

this is good link

As a bad fightcade player, I think ST is really tough to learn with. It feels like either Im playing people who can win the round in two hits, or Im just fighting people who know as little as I do. Sf4 is more fun in comparison, somehow.

I really think we need a gathering place for people who want to play fightcade but are poo poo, as i am. the games can be brutal but at least the netcode is good.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm playin Karnov's on Fightcade right now, ya'll should come get thrown a bit

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
https://a.pomf.cat/hvwfur.webm

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh, I also played SamSho5 on Fightcade. It's the lamest game and I had no idea what I was doing but you can take off 50% off someone with a heavy slash so

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Dias posted:

3S kinda has a big community that stayed in 3S because that game is the most distinct SF outside of EX series. It's also really pretty, has a lot of flashy bullshit and the music is good.

It's pretty much the only Street Fighter game I like besides Super Turbo. Every other Street Fighter game is just so...boring to me. Though looking at V, since I've only played like fifteen minutes of it, it seems like it could develop into something I might reasonably enjoy.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's pretty much the only Street Fighter game I like besides Super Turbo. Every other Street Fighter game is just so...boring to me. Though looking at V, since I've only played like fifteen minutes of it, it seems like it could develop into something I might reasonably enjoy.

want to play me in super turbo on fightcade?

e: http://steamcommunity.com/id/booyah-

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 25, 2016

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
You should also check out Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 and/or Special. The general pacing and the back Lane systems for those games might take a bit of time to get used to, but drat they are really fun games once you get into them. Sure, there are a few players in the rooms at a time but there are also a few dedicated players in North America that play (or used to play) from time to time. I've only played a bit a long time ago but I'm actively trying to play this with people (especially RB2)

And yeah Breakers/Karnovs are also good

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
ST is a game I recommend because 1. it's so simple it's very easy to see what you're doing wrong, 2. there's not many mechanics going on, so it focuses on the bare fundamentals that apply to every game, and 3. it's old as dirt so there's a god drat encyclopedia of information out there

If you're losing to gimmicks or brutal options selects (and since it's ST there's a lot of them), there's a way to deal with it and somebody's written about it.

I mean, I'm pretty drat bad at the game, but I'm always learning something.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Booyah- posted:

want to play me in super turbo on fightcade?

e: http://steamcommunity.com/id/booyah-

Not right now, but I've added you to play later.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

cool

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Play Hyper Fighting. In a world where that exists, Super Turbo is not pure Street Fighter.

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.
What I'm wondering is why I see so many people playing Championship Edition on FightCade. I get the impression people hold Hyper Fighting in high regard, but what makes CE worth playing today?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Garnavis posted:

What I'm wondering is why I see so many people playing Championship Edition on FightCade. I get the impression people hold Hyper Fighting in high regard, but what makes CE worth playing today?

CE is the dumb broken version of SF2. For all the stupid poo poo you hear about CE Bison, he's not even the best character in the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

As a millennial I can tell you several of my own kind gravitate towards that game because the aesthetic is "Incredibly My poo poo" as several people I know have put it to me. Hell, it was pretty cool to me for a while too until I was like "This got boring somewhere along the way and I don't know where, back to SF4."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That is the only time I will ever use generational generalization bullshit because it is insanely retarded and me wanting to skateboard while slamming down some tang does not have any effect on fighting games.

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Feel free to add me as well if you're up for some ST or 3s.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Simulacrum156/

Remilia fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 25, 2016

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Garnavis posted:

What I'm wondering is why I see so many people playing Championship Edition on FightCade. I get the impression people hold Hyper Fighting in high regard, but what makes CE worth playing today?n

It's the oldest version of sf2 where the boss characters were playable, and mirror matches were allowed. Not sure besides that

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

dhamster posted:

It's the oldest version of sf2 where the boss characters were playable, and mirror matches were allowed. Not sure besides that

And you were hosed if you were a Claw player and got his stage. Wall jump? Nah, might as well just hang on the fence a bit.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

As a millennial I can tell you several of my own kind gravitate towards that game because the aesthetic is "Incredibly My poo poo" as several people I know have put it to me. Hell, it was pretty cool to me for a while too until I was like "This got boring somewhere along the way and I don't know where, back to SF4."

I mean, it is pretty cool-looking, pity it's...nah, not gonna say it, trigger warnings and all that. It's also way different from the other SF games in terms of style, it borrowed these urban elements when the rest of the series is A Fighting Game About Fighting Mans.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I like 3s and think it is fun but it's super duper not a street fighter game

play super turbo, hyper fighting, or alpha 2(it's the least bad of the alpha games, and the last "good" street fighter game despite the alpha series being were these games started getting crappy)

just don't expect to do well without lots and lots of effort

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Thwack! posted:

You should also check out Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 and/or Special. The general pacing and the back Lane systems for those games might take a bit of time to get used to, but drat they are really fun games once you get into them. Sure, there are a few players in the rooms at a time but there are also a few dedicated players in North America that play (or used to play) from time to time. I've only played a bit a long time ago but I'm actively trying to play this with people (especially RB2)

Real Bout games are also good because you can knock motherfuckers down elevator shafts and into subway cars that then take them away. It's pretty good.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Real Bout 1 is fun in such a stupid way. Ring outs for days

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

King of Fighters XIV releasing: 8.25.2016

EDIT - :japan: release.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 25, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Japan only or worldwide?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's the Japanese date. No word on the NA date and hahahahahahahahahahhahahaha Europe

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://youtu.be/9kdYGBvdK9w

https://youtu.be/L-DOypQGtVA

they released two trailers showing off the entire character roster

also the game has more game modes, characters, and stages than sf5

LOL

also here's a live stream of the game itself on twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/snkofficial

General Morden fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 25, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
new guy has air dashes?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Game looks good

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
the US release date is august 23 apparently??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Wait, SNK is releasing KOF in the US two days before it drops in Japan?

That can't be right.

those are still ps2 graphics.