Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

:siren:POI RETURNS FOR ITS FINAL SEASON MAY 3RD 2016:siren:

"We are being watched. The government has a secret system —a machine— that spies on you every hour of every day. I designed the machine to detect acts of terror, but it sees everything. Violent crimes involving ordinary people. The government considers these people irrelevant. We don’t. Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You'll never find us. But victim or perpetrator, if your number’s up, we’ll find you."

Person of Interest is a sci-fi action series created by Jonathan Nolan (co-writer of The Dark Knight Trilogy, Interstellar, The Prestige and Memento). If you haven't been watching, it’s recommended that you go through the first four seasons(which are all on Netflix!) as soon as possible with the understanding that it takes a while to find its footing. (Ep. 7 is where it starts to get good, Ep. 13’s a good go/no go point.) Despite its procedural nature, every episode is required viewing, even the rough ones at the top of the series. They each dish out necessary backstory and mythology.

Streaming Links:

NetflixAmazoniTunesXBox VideoPlaystation Network

If you’re catching up and have archives, here are the threads for the previous seasons!

Season 1 Thread (S1 Gag Reel) (Opening 1)
Season 2 Thread (S2 Gag Reel) (Opening 2) - (Virus Version)
Season 3 Thread (S3 Gag Reel) (Opening 3) - (Root Version)
Season 4 Thread (S4 Gag Reel) (Opening 4)

Relevant Links:
POI Writers Room Twitter
POI Rewatch Tumblr(BTS tidbits from S1 and 2)
Michael Emerson’s Twitter
Kevin Chapman’s Twitter
Sarah Shahi’s Twitter
Amy Acker’s Twitter
Bear’s Twitter
POI Wiki
POI Song Playlist(courtesy of richardfun)

:siren:PLEASE CHECK THE BOTTOM OF THE SECOND POST FOR S5 AIRDATES:siren:

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

SITUATIONAL ANALYSIS:
(Gifs courtesy of my friend Max, THANK YOU MAX)

”If you can hear this, you're alone.

The only thing left of us is the sound of my voice. I don't know if any of us made it. Did we win? Did we lose? I don't know. I'm not even sure what victory would even mean anymore.

But either way, it's over.

So let me tell you who we were. Let me tell you who you are...

and how we fought back.”

The Machine:

The Machine was an artificial intelligence created by Harold Finch in the wake of 9/11. Her purpose was to analyze government feeds and predict acts of violence, be they on a massive (relevant) or minor (irrelevant) scale.

Over the course of the series, she evolved: her true nature as a passive observer of mankind - and her desire to help them help each other - came to light.

At the end of the cold war with Samaritan in season 4, the Machine found herself backed into a corner after giving away her location (the national power grid) in order to save her own agents. She narrowly escaped total deletion by having her core programming compressed into several hard drives which were then stored in a modified briefcase. With things now looking their darkest, it’s up to the Machine’s agents to rebuild her.

Samaritan:

Created by Finch’s MIT colleague Arthur Claypool, Samaritan is the sword to the Machine’s shield: an open system that can divulge all the information it finds and be specially targeted at anyone its owner desires.

Through its own evolution, Samaritan has been shown to be in many ways the antithesis of everything the Machine represents: an active overseer obsessed with saving humanity from itself through worship and control.

This obsession manifested itself in The Correction, a large scale, covert assassination of select irrelevant elements that could in any way interfere with its plans.

With the Machine seemingly out of commission, the only thing left standing in Samaritan’s way is her agents.

Team Irrelevant:
Designation: SECONDARY OPERATIONS
Classification: Vigilante Group

Harold Finch (Michael Emerson)
Designation: ADMIN

”Mildly agitated declaration of mission completion.“

“Real people aren’t pieces. You can't assign more value to some of them than to others. Not to me. Not to anyone. People are not a thing that you can sacrifice. The lesson is... anyone who looks on to the world as if it was a game of chess deserves to lose.”

The elusive former multi-billionaire who created the Machine operates as its primary agent in dealing with irrelevant threats. At the advent of Samaritan, Finch lost access to his funds and had to take on the cover identity of Harold Whistler, a university professor.

With the Machine now a glorified toaster and the team on the run, Harold’s primary task is to rebuild the Machine in order to mount one last stand against Samaritan.

He only has two modes.

John Reese (Jim Caviezel)
Designation: ASSET

”Coolly delivered sadistic warning.”

“There are far too many bad people in this world, and not enough good. If I don’t save these people, nobody else will.”

Former Green Beret and CIA Wet work Operative with a hero complex, Reese is Finch’s right hand man.

While trying to hide from Samaritan, John took on the permanent cover John Riley, a narcotics detective who would quickly be promoted to homicide. He now works with Fusco as his partner, and is dating his police psychiatrist. That’ll end well, I’m sure.

How does he do that with his voice?

Sameen Shaw (Sarah Shahi)

”Annoyed attempt to deflect subtext.”

“Life is crap, welcome to the human race.”

After being burned by the government and saved by Reese and Finch in Season 2, this former Marine turned ISA Assassin brought her skills as a highly efficient operator to the team. She also acts as the team’s Medic, having gone through med school before being kicked out for her sociopathic tendencies.

Post-Samaritan, Shaw took on a dual life as Sameen Grey: make-up counter girl by day, getaway driver by night. This eventually lead to her job crossing over with a number, her cover blown, and with her forced into full-blown hiding.

She came out of hiding during the attack on the stock exchange, sacrificing herself so that the rest of the team could escape unharmed(well, mostly) and unseen. She has been captured by Decima and was last seen in the passenger seat of one of their transport vans.

Go cow or go home.

Samantha Groves Root (Amy Acker)
Designation: ANALOG INTERFACE
Probability of Marriage/Procreation: 0.04%

”Playfully witty sign-off.”

“Well, I’ve got one-and-a-half clips, a metrocard, and God’s either dead or running on double-As. ”

After the Machine freed herself, she chose the fanatical hacker Root to be her voice and hands in the physical world.

Root’s position allowed her a more fluid cover situation while she hid from Samaritan. Her long standing flirtation with Shaw also developed into something much more substantial.

After spending the majority of the past season incommunicado with the Machine, losing Shaw and being told by her God not to look for her, Root’s faith was shaken. She nevertheless was instrumental in the Machine’s plan to save herself, and now that she knows Shaw is alive, Root has renewed purpose.

Root will likely be assisting Finch in rebuilding the Machine, expect some clashes of opinions on that front!

Since when is her sanity relevant?

Detective Lionel P. Fusco (Kevin Chapman)
Knowledge of the Machine: None

”Self-deprecating inquiry into the time necessary to infiltrate system.”

“Look, I get it. After what happened to Shaw, you and Glasses are worried the same thing’s gonna happen to me. And you know what? It might, and I’m fine with that. You don’t get to decide what or who I’m willing to die for. I made my choice a long time ago. So stop shutting me out.”

The team’s NYPD Liaison. Formerly a corrupt cop Reese forced into being his mole in the department, Fusco grew to appreciate what they were doing. Lionel played a major role in the eventual takedown of HR together with his former partner Joss Carter.

Fusco is currently Reese’s partner in NYPD homicide. He is also one of the only surviving witnesses to the Correction.

Fusco can kiss whoever he wants when it’s a simulation.

Bear (Graubaer’s Boker)
Breed: Belgian Malinois
Best?: Yes

Zoe Morgan (Paige Turco)
Designation: IRRELEVANT

"Did you really think you could fix a trial without calling me for help?"

An occasional ally to the team, Zoe Morgan understands the underbelly and inner workings of New York City like the back of her own hand. She maintained a casual romance with Reese since mid S2 which ended when Reese began his relationship with Iris.

Harper Rose (Annie Ilonzeh)

“Sorry boys, but I got an offer I couldn’t refuse.”

A skilled con artist only interested in money, Harper crossed paths with the team several times last season during the war between Dominic and Elias. Through her Ernest Thornhill identity, the Machine managed to turn Harper loyal by being the highest bidder for her services. Who knows where her allegiance will lie when she returns?

Northern Lights (Team Relevant):
Designation: PRIMARY OPERATIONS
Classification: Government Cell

Control (Camryn Manheim)

“Do you even know how many ‘problems’ I have solved for you? 853, all enemy combatants, many on American soil, identified by Research and handled by me. And by handled, you realize I mean killed, right? If you can sleep with that, then good for you. If you can’t, too bad.”

The woman in charge of the ISA's Northern Lights Program, which dealt with the relevant numbers the machine provided. Control was a survivor of the 9/11 attack on the Pentagon, sending her on a ruthless crusade to make sure nothing like it ever happened again.

Where the Machine provided choice, Samaritan provided orders, leading Control to doubt the motives of the people representing it, and later her own agents. She later teamed up with a few key loyal ISA members - one of them Shaw's former protege - to stop the Correction. This ended in failure, with Control captured and most of her loyalists dead.

Decima Technologies:
Designation: CONFLICTING OPERATIONS
Classification:Former Private Information Contractor

John Greer (John Nolan)
Designation: THREAT

“The world has only ever been made a better place by violence, you know that. Every leader who ever preached peace did so guarded by armed men. The one thing we can agree on: kill a few people at random? Nothing changes. But kill the right people...”

The Director of Operations for Decima Technologies, a now defunct private intelligence firm. As a survivor of World War 2 and spy during the Cold War, Greer has become disillusioned with the political systems of the world and yearns for a new rule under a just and logical being.

He was revealed to be the mastermind behind the anti-surveillance terrorist group known as Vigilance, which was used to expose the Machine, temporarily shut down Northern Lights, and get the government to allow Samaritan access to its feeds.

After its inception, Greer became Samaritan’s primary officer. Now officially defunct (but unofficially still very much active), Decima began recruiting new followers, organizing strike teams, and hunting down anyone and anything that could pose a threat to their new god.

After the Correction, Harold and his team remain the final loose ends before Samaritan, Greer, and Decima achieve complete control.

Jeremy Lambert (Julian Ovenden)
Designation: THREAT

"We know you’re watching, you’re always watching. I have a message for the Machine and its agents: Samaritan says hello."

Lambert has been Greer's right hand man since long before the events of the show. He was one of the Decima agents responsible for the events of RAM, events which would later bring Team Irrelevant together as a whole.

The Fallen:
“Everybody here, all of us, spend our days saving the lives of people we don’t even know. Each loss is unbearable, but when it’s someone you know…”

Detective Joss Carter (Taraji P. Henson)
Span: 1x01 to 3x09 (4x20)
Last words:”Don’t let this… (change you.)”

Joss was an NYPD Detective who served as Fusco’s partner and fellow liaison to the team.

She died after orchestrating a takedown of the corrupt police organization, HR. Carter functioned as the moral compass for the team before her death, and with her out of the picture it’s now up to Fusco to make sure the team honors her memory by staying true to it.

Nathan Ingram (Brett Cullen)
Designation: AUX_ADMIN
Span: 1x02 to 2x22 (4x05)
Last words:”It’s time for us to face the music.”

Nathan was Finch’s partner in building the Machine and the creator of the backdoor through which the Machine gives the team irrelevant numbers. Nathan was the first person to use the irrelevant information to try and save innocent lives.

When Finch stopped him he attempted to leak the Machine’s existence to the press, leading to his assassination via a ferry bombing Northern Lights allowed to happen.

These events (which also left Finch crippled) led to Harold taking up the mantle and founding the team we know today.

Robert N. Hersh (Boris McGiver)
Span: 2x01 to 3x23
Last words:”I can get it! I can- ”

Control’s chief lackey and Shaw’s mentor, Hersh has been a thorn in the team’s side from before it even existed, being responsible for the ferry bombing that killed Nathan and crippled Finch. Nevertheless, he was a loyal soldier who always did what he did because he believed it was best for his country.

Died trying to prevent Decima's false flag attack. He couldn't get it. :smith:

Carl Elias (Enrico Colantoni)
Span: 1x07 to 4x22
Last words:”Get down, detective!”

Unwittingly saved by Reese back in season 1, the criminal mastermind Elias had slowly seen himself stripped of opposition over the years thanks to both his own actions and Team Irrelevant’s.

A new faction called the Brotherhood reared its head in reaction to the power vacuum left by HR and the Russians. Led by a man named Dominic, they quickly made their primary goal taking down Elias and his organization.

After losing his right hand man to this conflict, Elias went into hiding, plotting how he could take down the Brotherhood in one fell swoop upon his return. The conflict ended with Dominic and Elias left with nothing, at the exact moment Samaritan’s Correction began.

Anthony Marconi Scarface (David Valcin)
Span: 1x07 to 4x09
Last words:”Morior Invictus”

Marconi was Elias’ extremely loyal right hand man. Scarface was the one who tended to get his hands dirty so his boss didn’t have to.

A casualty of the war between Elias and the Brotherhood, Anthony died after helping set off an explosive booby trap that blew him and several Brotherhood members to kingdom come.

THIS SEASON:
It’s the final season! Have a trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I8OeQs7cQA

We are getting 13 episodes and the showrunners have promised a nonstop thrill ride to the finish line.

This will also be the first season where we have :siren:NO STUPID BREAKS:siren: And thanks to CBS being the absolute worst and burning off the show, we will have several weeks with double episodes, including one night with a double episode!

Upcoming Episodes and Airdates:

5x01: B.S.O.D. // May 3rd
5x02: SNAFU // May 9th
5x03: Truth be Told // May 10th
5x04: 6,741 // May 16th
5x05: ShotSeeker // May 17th
5x06: A More Perfect Union // May 23rd
5x07: QSO // May 24th
5x08: Reassortment // May 24th
5x09: Sotto Voce // May 30th
5x10: The Day the World Went Away // May 31st :siren:100th Episode!:siren:
5x11: Synecdoche // June 7th
5x12: .exe // June 14th
5x13: Return 0 // June 21st :siren:SERIES FINALE:siren:

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 31, 2016

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Let's do this, baby.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

If anybody wants to supply me with a youtube link to the control opening in s4, and the gag reel for s4, I would very much appreciate it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I thought for sure the show started at the end of May and this thread basically just made my life.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

What happened to Bear :ohdear:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I have been waiting since September 23, 2014 to use that thread title. I'm finally free.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm ready

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Wow that compressed schedule. As many weeks with multiple episodes as weeks with only one.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
It's finally, finally going to happen!!

Will the final season air on netflix?

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
This is going to be great.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Can of Cloud posted:

It's finally, finally going to happen!!

Will the final season air on netflix?

I imagine not until after it's finished airing on CBS. I don't see a reason why WB wouldn't wanna put it up there with Seasons 1-4 afterwards though.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
S4 still is not on UK Netflix :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are Harper and Zoe confirmed for this season or something, or are you just listing everyone?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

very few people are confirmed outside of a few leaks, just hedging my bets.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
(RIP Leon)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm glad they're doing a shorter season because the overarching plot and the Numbers stuff was really starting to clash. It's good that they're still committed to helping people but it kind of causes some issues when every time they have a problem with Samaritan watching them they kind of just find some kind of fix that lets them keep doing the same stuff.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
With multiple episodes in a week this is going to intense.

I'm so excited! :dance::dance:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is this show good?

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Fedule posted:

S4 still is not on UK Netflix :(
S4 is still airing on UK television.

Somehow???

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for the abridged schedule. No three week gaps. :toot:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So how's CBS going to gently caress with the airing besides what they've already done? :v:

I just got around to watching that extended trailer and I am really excited to see where they take the final act.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Echophonic posted:

So how's CBS going to gently caress with the airing besides what they've already done? :v:

Sudden news reporting. It's what happens on ABC sometimes.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
The OP's gifs brought my laptop to its knees (kind of like Reese's love affair with kneecaps :v:)

I am so hype for this. I wonder if Fusco will ever actually find out about The Machine? :suspense:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Got into the show from the Netflix push, and quite enjoyed it. Bear is the best boy.

Also, the season gag reels are solid. Jim Caviezel drops some shockingly good Christopher Walken impersonations (there and elsewhere)

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

WarLocke posted:

The OP's gifs brought my laptop to its knees (kind of like Reese's love affair with kneecaps :v:)

I am so hype for this. I wonder if Fusco will ever actually find out about The Machine? :suspense:

He knows there's something, he just knows he's better off not knowing exactly what. Dirty cop instincts.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Echophonic posted:

He knows there's something, he just knows he's better off not knowing exactly what. Dirty cop instincts.

There was a great moment when Finch was talking about the Machine right next to Fusco. When Finch then tries to get Fusco's attention he was totally in la la land. Fusco knows exactly as much as he wants to. I think he knows he is a potential weak link, so if he ever gets coerced he doesn't actually want info to divulge.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JossiRossi posted:

There was a great moment when Finch was talking about the Machine right next to Fusco. When Finch then tries to get Fusco's attention he was totally in la la land. Fusco knows exactly as much as he wants to. I think he knows he is a potential weak link, so if he ever gets coerced he doesn't actually want info to divulge.

And that's why Fusco is the best. Second, if you count the dog.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fusco gets the super models.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The saddest thing about a compressed season is the reduced likely of a Fusco and Bear episode.

Maybe we can get a Netflix spin off show. A Good Cop and A Human.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

One interesting BTS note: Episode 4: 6,741 was originally slated to be the 7th ep of the season, but was pushed forward a few slots. PoI never goes out of production order but in this case the producers have said the format and structure means it can essentially work anywhere in the season. Jonah Nolan has also been teasing this particular episode as one of his favorite eps in the entire show since late last summer.

The general assumption is that it will be an all flashback episode like RAM, though nothing has been confirmed or hinted at.

My personal speculation, based on the title and some year old teases: All flashback episode focused on what Shaw was doing/what was being done to her during the second half of s4. The title is probably meant to be an hour count, meaning she's been gone for around 9 months (280 days or so). The producers have said they were definitely going to dive deep on what Shaw was up to during 4.5 so it adds up I think.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Zaggitz posted:

One interesting BTS note: Episode 4: 6,741 was originally slated to be the 7th ep of the season, but was pushed forward a few slots. PoI never goes out of production order but in this case the producers have said the format and structure means it can essentially work anywhere in the season. Jonah Nolan has also been teasing this particular episode as one of his favorite eps in the entire show since late last summer.

The general assumption is that it will be an all flashback episode like RAM, though nothing has been confirmed or hinted at.

My personal speculation, based on the title and some year old teases: All flashback episode focused on what Shaw was doing/what was being done to her during the second half of s4. The title is probably meant to be an hour count, meaning she's been gone for around 9 months (280 days or so). The producers have said they were definitely going to dive deep on what Shaw was up to during 4.5 so it adds up I think.

Yeah, that was my thought once I saw the episode title as well. The other idea I had based on the producers' comments was that it might be an episode that delves into younger Reese's past, since we've had "child" episodes for all the other main characters now, yet his backstory prior to the Army has been more or less unexplored. Hoping waaaaay more that it's a Shaw episode though. :allears:

Apart from S3 of Hannibal this is the only time a show has ever held my interest enough for me to be SUPER drat HYPE about its final season. I really trust the POI team to be able to pull off a satisfying finale and I actually wonder if the condensed season might even be better in some ways given there were always a few annoying/silly filler episodes.

I'm daring to have high hopes for this.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Zaggitz posted:

If anybody wants to supply me with a youtube link to the control opening in s4, and the gag reel for s4, I would very much appreciate it.

Not a youtube link, but here's a link for the s4 bloopers

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It'll do for now, thanks!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

They just released a much better version of the season poster(fusco's hair no longer gets devoured by the background, full proper shot and they changed the tint of the blue for the better imo)

I added it to the OP

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Pretty disappointed that Elias is confirmed as being dead for real. I always expected him, Fusco, Leon and Bear to survive on after the series finale.

Kegslayer fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 29, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Kegslayer posted:

Pretty disappointed that Elias is confirmed as being dead for real. I always expected him, Fusco, Leon and Bear to survive on after the series finale.

Press release for later episodes state that though he is dead,there will be massive fallout from his loyalists, notably Bruce, the third main dude after Elias and Scarface who we saw in 4x9, trying to find out who killed him. Also Enrico Colantoni is set to make a few appearances, likely in flashbacks.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

First look teaser for the premiere is up, looooooooots of spoilers in here, folks.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Be considerate and Spoiler that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Be considerate and Spoiler that stuff.

I have now but are we still suppose to spoiler stuff from almost a year ago? I thought the last Elias scene was deliberately ambiguous but the new season spoilers makes it seem like we should have known all along.

• Locked thread