Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tsyni posted:

You probably accidentally built a pet box, that is only good for small pets. An animal sleeping spot can fit a rhino.

Or elephant, for maximum hilarity when you've got the sleeping beds tightly clustered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I hope Tynan makes pet purses so colonists can carry their small dogs around with them.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Only if colonists get negative thoughts for seeing people with terrible little purse dogs.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Had one of my pawns die from a bear ripping his head off while he was trying to hunt it. There's your melee version of the sniper round headshot!

Oh and a couple winters before that I had a nasty cold snap that ruined all my chickens. But I didn't realize this until two seasons later when I wondered "why haven't I seen them move from their sleeping spots? They're missing their beak, their tail, their left leg and their righ... Ohhhh, dear."

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Well that was fun. An elk just outside my base self-tamed. Sweet, free meat! Only the fucker proceeds to rush into my hydroponics bay and ate 3 basins of healroot before the slaughterer could get there :argh:

EDIT: Also, can anyone think of a reason my Huskys, who were previously hauling-champions, have suddenly gone on strike. Almost an entire season has passed and they haven't once started to haul anything. Getting a bit frustrating since that's the whole reason I have them.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 24, 2016

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

MadJackMcJack posted:

Well that was fun. An elk just outside my base self-tamed. Sweet, free meat! Only the fucker proceeds to rush into my hydroponics bay and ate 3 basins of healroot before the slaughterer could get there :argh:

EDIT: Also, can anyone think of a reason my Huskys, who were previously hauling-champions, have suddenly gone on strike. Almost an entire season has passed and they haven't once started to haul anything. Getting a bit frustrating since that's the whole reason I have them.

Check what area they're assigned to. They won't haul anything in or out of any area they aren't allowed to go. Been caught out by that one myself a few times.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anyone have any clever ideas on how to deal with this? I was thinking of either 1) leaving them be, hoping they cave themselves in or 2) put in a cooler with the heat exhaust that direction and trying to roast them.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
What content mods do yall like? I tried out one that adds a laser fence but how it actually works is the laser behaves like a toggleable wall. I've got something that adds more medicine/prosthetics/bionics which is really cool. I like these embrasures as well but they're kinda OP.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

Anyone have any clever ideas on how to deal with this? I was thinking of either 1) leaving them be, hoping they cave themselves in or 2) put in a cooler with the heat exhaust that direction and trying to roast them.

Cooler idea sounds like it could work. You could put 4 of them in if you wanted.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or just build some wooden furniture and a stone wall and roast them in a far more economical manner. Hell, walling off a chunk of the wooden floor alone might do it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not sure how I would pull that off without them attacking me? Unless you mean evacuate that room and then burn it down, which would suck because there is a bunch of stuff in there.

[Edit: Actually, I'm not even sure I can purposefully start a fire. I don't have IEDs, mortars, or moltovs.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 24, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The roof collapse bit didn't work, so I loaded an older save when they were less of them. Had a melee guy stand in the doorway and 3 shooters behind him. The melee guy got downed but they didn't keep attacking him or go through him, so I was able to just shoot them all to death. Took a while, but I guess that works.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Blackray Jack posted:

I need to construct a pet bed for my husky but I have no cloth. How do I make cloth?

Keep in mind you can make one out of leather too, which you're much more likely to have, by right clicking the bed and choosing which kind of leather.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

I know you already got it taken care of, but for future I recommend sticking in a cooler frosty side and freezing the hives. It protects the jelly (and prevents any of your poo poo catching on fire if they emerge in a storage area) and the insects are noticeably more docile, so much you can just plink away at them with a survival/sniper rifle.

Also, fun fact if a ground based trader comes, you can sell all their insect jelly as if it was yours!

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Oh hey whats the biggest size square room that wont fall down? I thought it used to be 8x8 (not including walls) but I built a 9x9 and it's still standing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Crimson Harvest posted:

Oh hey whats the biggest size square room that wont fall down? I thought it used to be 8x8 (not including walls) but I built a 9x9 and it's still standing.

I think a roof segment will collapse if it is more than 6 tiles from support, so like 10x10 is as big as it can get

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I wish getting new colonists was just a little easier. The sheer lethality level of the combat is fine but it really blows to have one fight go slightly bad on the RNG and have two of your dudes die instantly to headshots or something unpreventable and then find your colony desperately undermanned until Cassandra decides to kill you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Helmets make that a lot less likely. Can you craft helmets in this release? If not I highly recommend a mod that enables that (Brunayla's stuff is well done).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You can, both combat helmet and the power armour helmet varieties.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Blackray Jack posted:

Ok new problem now, I need to construct a pet bed for my husky but I have no cloth. How do I make cloth?

Eat the husky and then you'll have the leather or fur for a bed. Problem solved.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

I Said No posted:

Check what area they're assigned to. They won't haul anything in or out of any area they aren't allowed to go. Been caught out by that one myself a few times.

They were on unrestricted. Doesn't matter anyway, figured out what the problem was. Turns out they were still hauling. I had recently expanded my hydroponics to feed my growing colony (5 80-90 difficulty prisoners :getin:), and the fuckers were hauling the food almost exclusively while snacking on them :argh:. Throw in a few equipment racks to hold all of my clothes and food racks to hold all of my meals (mod) and they were completely ignoring the lower-preference storage area (which still had those items allowed for overflow).

Still, solved the main problem of tons of un-hauled metals the old fashioned way, by grabbing every hauler and ordering them directly.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Do racks hold more than 2 items now?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You know, I don't know that I've ever actually built an equipment rack. Are they just a moderately more decorative way to store two things?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

They were before, or at least that's how I remember it. MadJack's post makes me think they're better now?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I pretty much use them for decoration and because I find easier to stick down a rack then mess about with multiple storage areas. Plus they can be made of wood so they don't use up precious steel.

The main stated purpose of racks is to prevent deterioration, which happens to most items left outside. But ever since orbital trade beacons worked indoors there's little reason to use them outside of decoration/construction training.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Thinking about getting into modding this. Any modders in here can give me some tips or advice?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I Said No posted:

Thinking about getting into modding this. Any modders in here can give me some tips or advice?

Grab notepad++ and go to town, the entire game more or less is defined in some kind of xml so it's pretty easy to understand. So long as you understand classes and inheritance you shouldn't have a huge amount of issue.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Did the Alpha 13 update basically remove orbital traders? I've got a comm console and orbital beacons but I've had a colony running for like a year and haven't had a single orbital trader. It's harshing my buzz really hard because my local neighbors aren't interested in buying my colony's production output so I'm running out of money.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Kanos posted:

Did the Alpha 13 update basically remove orbital traders? I've got a comm console and orbital beacons but I've had a colony running for like a year and haven't had a single orbital trader. It's harshing my buzz really hard because my local neighbors aren't interested in buying my colony's production output so I'm running out of money.

They're way more rare. I think traders come in the same number per year/month/season whatever, but they're counting the single guys that show up as coming through with trade opportunities equally with what in alpha 12 was just a random ship trader.

Seems like it could use some adjustments if you're used to alpha 12.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The chance for orbital traders was dropped. Was 20, now 3 (for whatever those values mean). There's a mod that restores it, or a simple XML edit. I can't find the post about it however :argh:

I'll keep looking

e: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18670.0

Not the exact one I was looking for, but it does tell you the values that need editing. Looks like trader chance was 22 in A12

Azhais fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 25, 2016

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
And so my very first colony falls due to the loving bullshit as gently caress toxic fallout event. I only had three guys so I was hosed. Still learned plenty though.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Blackray Jack posted:

And so my very first colony falls due to the loving bullshit as gently caress toxic fallout event. I only had three guys so I was hosed. Still learned plenty though.

I kind of like the toxic fallout event. Gives my guys a chance to clean everything up inside the colony.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Away all Goats posted:

Just got this game. My last colony ended when I told my colonist to hunt something called a 'boomrat' hiding in our stockpile for food :downs:

I'm not really sure the progression I should be going for, the last few times I started a colony my priorities were:

1. Set up Grow Zone
2. Build medium sized wood structure to put beds in
3. Set up solar panels/batteries and maybe a cooker/turret
4. Research table
5. ???

edit: also why isn't this game on Steam yet

IIRC the author was going to whack it up on early access then take a six month sanity break, but was persuaded that was a super bad idea. I don't think there's a definite deadline but I'd guess it will be up in a few months?

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Hey this game looks a bit like prison architect in space.

Is it the same Dev?

If I liked that, will I like this?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's not the same Dev but yes it is basically Prison Architect in space.

If you liked Prison Architect but thought "What this game needs is organ harvesting, miniguns and people freezing to death in the winter" then this is the game for you.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
It's absolutely not Prison Architect in space.

It's DF with Meeples and less options.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Also cannibalism! :v:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Fans posted:

It's not the same Dev but yes it is basically Prison Architect in space.

If you liked Prison Architect but thought "What this game needs is organ harvesting, miniguns and people freezing to death in the winter" then this is the game for you.

Yeah, no.

Theres some similarities to Prison Architect (first and foremost being the electrical planning system and the art style), but the playstyle is entirely different and much closer to Dwarf Fortress.

If you looked at Dwarf Fortress and worried about the interface keeping you away, try Rimworld.

If you enjoyed Dwarf Fortress but got bored with the fantasy themings, try Rimworld

(Try Rimworld)

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Are pilum crazy powerful or something? I had an early raid consisting of one tribal with a pilum, I drafted my 5 shooting careful shooter with the survival rifle to deal with him. He hit the raider 5 times and the guy was bleeding out from the gunshot wounds but was able to crawl into throwing range and throw one spear to instantly kill my guy. Was I just really unlucky or are throwing spears really deadly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

Are pilum crazy powerful or something? I had an early raid consisting of one tribal with a pilum, I drafted my 5 shooting careful shooter with the survival rifle to deal with him. He hit the raider 5 times and the guy was bleeding out from the gunshot wounds but was able to crawl into throwing range and throw one spear to instantly kill my guy. Was I just really unlucky or are throwing spears really deadly?

Without looking at the stats, my guess is that spears have really low base accuracy but high damage.