Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Woop woop! Update time :dance:

Part Seventeen: Starts with Penis

I'm not going to edit out anymore gently caress ups from here on out. Figure, might as well put as much effort into the end game as the developers did.

And thus we start our descent into madness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Zain posted:

Woop woop! Update time :dance:

Part Seventeen: Starts with Penis

I'm not going to edit out anymore gently caress ups from here on out. Figure, might as well put as much effort into the end game as the developers did.

And thus we start our descent into madness!

[watches 2 minutes]
And I thought I was going crazy :v:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
When a buddy and I beat this on co-op the entire game quickly devolved into a mad dash to the first 2-man door so we could scream SHEVA! SHEVA! SHEVA! until the other guy snapped. Good times.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

This game is such penis. Also did they really put in suicide bombers in it?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Why do I have the feeling that Zain is going to completely ignore the first aid spray sitting in his storage until way later?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Ugh, that rotating lift sequence is miserable. One of my least favourite parts of the game... and unfortunately, most of my other least favourite parts are also stacked towards the end of the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This episode's theme music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fI7zm7RXHs

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Or, an alternate option:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJAcMxkjCTs&t=35s

Here is my contribution I like this song

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I was thinking about that segment where we had to carry the lamp through the dark tunnel earlier, and looking at his model I just noticed that Chris has a fuckin' flashlight right on his belt

edit: Also, somebody might have mentioned this earlier in the thread when Wesker first came up, but if not you should all know that the canonical reason Chris is so god drat buff is because he went apeshit with strength training in anticipation of his eventual Wesker rematch. He's significantly less beefy in the prequel DLC (wherein he wears his unlockable BSAA outfit) which I think is kind of cool. I have no idea how he became One Punch Man but I am ok with this explanation.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 26, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

You'd think after the events of Code Veronica that he'd have gone into strength training then. The dude was crazy strong there too.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Zain posted:

You'd think after the events of Code Veronica that he'd have gone into strength training then. The dude was crazy strong there too.
I'd say that Code Veronica made Chris begin down that path, as Revelations 1 (set primarily in 2005) has him becoming more muscular compared to his days in Raccoon City, but not as beefy as RE5. Lost in Nightmares (also set in 2005) is definitely what pushed Chris over the edge and made him fully commit to strength training, resulting in what we see in this game. Chris' build in RE5 is basically about 4 years of full commitment to getting stronger because he kept losing to Wesker and a dash of PTSD over Jill's presumed death.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

I'd say that Code Veronica made Chris begin down that path, as Revelations 1 (set primarily in 2005) has him becoming more muscular compared to his days in Raccoon City, but not as beefy as RE5. Lost in Nightmares (also set in 2005) is definitely what pushed Chris over the edge and made him fully commit to strength training, resulting in what we see in this game. Chris' build in RE5 is basically about 4 years of full commitment to getting stronger because he kept losing to Wesker and a dash of PTSD over Jill's presumed death.

Does Revelations 1 take place before RE5? It seems weird right? It's been a while since I've seen that game but I thought like Uruboros was a thing in that game?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Zain posted:

Does Revelations 1 take place before RE5? It seems weird right? It's been a while since I've seen that game but I thought like Uruboros was a thing in that game?

Revelations is set a full year before "Lost in Nightmares."

Uruboros is a thing in Revelations 2, which is set in 2011.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zain posted:

The magical virus in Revs is called T-Abyss and the game features Chris and Jill working for the BSAA so it takes place before Wesker happened.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

What's this bullshit? ANOTHER UPDATE! gently caress YA!

Part Eighteen: What a Resident Evil Revelations!

So we get a shocking secret revealed to us in this episode. WHO COULD POSSIBLY HAVE SEEN THIS COMING!?!?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-hw_1u76xA&t=756s

This goddamn jumpkick is the raddest thing I've ever seen and I want you all to know that my crazed hyena man laughter in this sequence is entirely genuine

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Holy poo poo, two Blonde Weskers?? There's a lot of Weskers running around. I bet they went to Costco.

Also I love Man Wesker casually sliding in from the left when Sheva has a gun to Woman Wesker's head.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Considering how many Resident Evil bosses you've fought, CJacobs, I'm very surprised that you don't know Rule #1 of Resident Evil bosses:

Grab loving everything around the stage before you do anything else.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I like that Chris's MASSIVE BIG MUSCLES do him no good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh my god I forgot that Wesker pulls out a new pair of shades if you break the ones he's wearing. This fight is so amazing

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 27, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I like that Chris's MASSIVE BIG MUSCLES do him no good.
Because this whole sequence really, really wants to play up the drama of Jill and Chris fighting each other more than anything else. Chris has finally found Jill, but she's under mind control and being forced to fight him. The problem is that at the same time, the game wants this sequence to be a pair of ridiculous back-to-back boss fights full of action. Capcom hasn't completely grasped that this design philosophy (write a scene one way, but design it to look and play another way) typically results in dumb silliness rather than the intended tension-filled moment of drama.

Also, if someone can explain how a person's mind can be controlled via a device implanted in their upper torso, that'd be great.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, if someone can explain how a person's mind can be controlled via a device implanted in their upper torso, that'd be great.

The game has you covered, somehow!

Jill's file in the unlockables menu posted:

Jill, who had reviled bioweapons and devoted her life to eradicating them, was ironically being used to develop the most terrible bioweapon of all. After much research and experimentation, Wesker finally perfected the Uroboros Virus. Jill’s participation in its development meant that she was no longer a suitable test subject. Pure and unadulterated antibodies with high resistance to the virus permeated her body. Wesker decided he would find a suitable use for her elsewhere. During the research into the Progenitor virus, an ancillary chemical was discovered. The researchers referred to it as simply – P30. When administered to test subjects, it would not only give them superhuman strength, but also rendered them highly susceptible to control.

P30 was the ultimate performance enhancer. The aims of the Uroboros Plan were to create a new breed of humans, so P30’s application in this plan was inconsequential. However, for the time being it could be marketed as a product and garner additional funding. Research into creating the ultimate soldier who didn’t resist orders was carried out simultaneously on Las Plagas and P30. Unfortunately, the latter had a severe drawback. The effects of P30 would only last for a very short time. An injection of P30 was metabolized and expelled by the body at an expeditious rate requiring readministration of the drug at frequent intervals. This greatly lessened the viability of such a product as a long-term performance enhancer. The only counter to such a drawback was to attack a device to the subject that would continually administer the drug.

While P30’s effects were brief, it was still a powerful and effective drug. The effects of continual administration were untested, so in order to research this aspect further an administration device was attached to Jill. An external device was attached to Jill’s chest that would continually administer the drug to her body. With her freewill constantly being usurped, she remained a servant to Excella and Wesker until Chris and Sheva destroyed the administration device.

So basically the thingy on her chest wasn't actually mind controlling her, it was pumping her full of drugs that weakened her will enough that Wesker could tell her what to do because I guess he's just the Zombie Drug Recipient Master Controller now or something.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 27, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Also, holy poo poo they aren't kidding that the mind-control drug metabolizes fast. They pulled that thing off her and 30 seconds later she was good.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

So basically the thingy on her chest wasn't actually mind controlling her, it was pumping her full of drugs that weakened her will enough that Wesker could tell her what to do because I guess he's just the Zombie Drug Recipient Master Controller now or something.
It makes some sense, but it doesn't stop the device (and the entire control process) from looking silly. But, that's basically how the franchise rolls at this point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I'll get to that when I figure out how a vial of mystery liquid can make you roughly as big as a whale with tentacles.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Also, Rebecca Chambers gets a special skin in Wesker Mode in the RE0 remaster wherein she's got one of the P30 thingies on her chest :haw:

edit: That game goes pretty nuts with the unlockable costumes, actually. She also gets one that's just a shirt that has a fuckin' picture of her wearing the same outfit she's already wearing but with a bikini top on it and it's god drat stupid and amazing.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 28, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

The skul-gun of LP Convergence demands a more memorable name than "P30" for a plant-derived implant-administered supersoldier drug. I think... "Nectar". Yes. Yes that will work.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

edit: That game goes pretty nuts with the unlockable costumes, actually. She also gets one that's just a shirt that has a fuckin' picture of her wearing the same outfit she's already wearing but with a bikini top on it and it's god drat stupid and amazing.

I think that shirt was part of a (Japan-only) fan poll for what to put on that costume, since I recall seeing a "vote on what shirt pattern you want to see" thing in the RE megathread. RE0 HD went insane with giving Rebecca alternate outfits and gave Billy like...one or two new outfits, I think? I know TheDarkId showed one off in his Drakengard 3 LP, but I think there was one other, unless I'm misremembering things.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, Rebecca gets SEVEN unlockable costumes in addition to the winners of the t-shirt contest (of which there are like 10), and Billy only gets 2 unlockable costumes in general. Which I'm fine with because gently caress Billy

edit:

Rebecca got this:

|

on one of the unlockable shirts though which is like fuckin YEAH

This one was also on the roster but it unfortunately did not win.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 28, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

If that file is correct... Jill was injected with Uroboros and eventually just became immune to it? Is that what I'm getting at?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I was just willing you to bring along that first aid spray at the start there... to no avail.

How have I never noticed Wesker's glasses coming off in this fight? I love that he just pulls out another pair, that's fantastic.

I think you can beat Wesker in this fight (meaning he's a bit less smug in the cutscene), but it's pretty hard. I can't remember if I've ever actually managed it myself.

They were trying for some interesting things in that boss fight, what with the stealth aspects, and an extra enemy in the mix that you can't/don't want to fight back against. They didn't quite pull it off, but it was getting there, I think. As annoying as it can be to play though - mainly thanks to the QTEs of course - I can't help but like this sequence. I'm just a sucker for well-choreographed fight scenes, I guess.

Plus... Wesker's just the best character in the game, no contest. It's a shame you don't see much of his scenery-chewing until near the end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zain posted:

If that file is correct... Jill was injected with Uroboros and eventually just became immune to it? Is that what I'm getting at?

Jill for some reason has T-Virus antibodies in her system which, when combined with Uroboros, basically just suppress it. She, personally, is probably effectively immune to it. Extracting those antibodies from her is how Wesker is able to make these Uroboros time bombs he's loving around with. I don't think the game says this anywhere outside of that file so that could have resolved quite a bit of our later confusion, as the audience will see! :v:

There's an unlockable file in Revelations 2 (thanks, me, for LPing it!) that says the following:

Email from Jill to Barry posted:

Hey Barry,

How's it going? I hope you're up to your usual wise-cracking self.

I'm back from Africa. I heard from Chris that after my fight with Wesker, the BSAA listed me officially as KIA, and that you took the news pretty hard.

I'm sorry to have caused you such grief. I'm alive and none the worse for wear! Although I do look a bit different now. Well, you'll see.

As for me, ever since getting back I've been locked up in this lab as they run tests on me day in and day out. It's every bit as boring as it sounds. Rehab should be starting soon, so that's something to look forward to. At this point I'd take a battlefield full of B.O.W.s over looking at another test tube again.

We should all meet up when I'm back on my feet again. It'll be blast!

So after the events of this game the BSAA are basically testing Jill to see if her antibodies can be used to combat zambambo viruses in large enough quantities.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 28, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Basically, we have Carlos to thank for Jill's predicament in RE5, since he went and made the T-Virus vaccine for Jill in RE3.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

Basically, we have Carlos to thank for Jill's predicament in RE5, since he went and made the T-Virus vaccine for Jill in RE3.

That's actually kind of an interesting thought.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Things ended up alright for her in the end, but man it must be a special kind of hell to be aware that you're trying to kill your friends and unable to actually do anything about it. :gonk:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

Things ended up alright for her in the end, but man it must be a special kind of hell to be aware that you're trying to kill your friends and unable to actually do anything about it. :gonk:
It's essentially a more sinister version of locked-in syndrome, with the only difference being the locked-in effects are caused by an external stimulus (the P30 chemical) instead of an internal condition like a stroke.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

So after the events of this game the BSAA are basically testing Jill to see if her antibodies can be used to combat zambambo viruses in large enough quantities.
This sounds like it's just going to result in the J-Virus somehow.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

It's essentially a more sinister version of locked-in syndrome, with the only difference being the locked-in effects are caused by an external stimulus (the P30 chemical) instead of an internal condition like a stroke.

Lemme tell you, that sorta thing has always been a huge fear of mine. It's up there on the top 5 list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Zain posted:

Lemme tell you, that sorta thing has always been a huge fear of mine. It's up there on the top 5 list.

I dunno, I'm gonna side with CJacobs here and rank spiders higher than that.

• Locked thread