Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Elite Force is a First Person Shooter that takes place in the Star Trek universe durring Voyager's 6th season. You play as Alex (-ander for male and -andria for female) Munro the Second in Command of a newly formed Hazard Team. The Hazard Team was an idea of Tuvok the Vulcan Chief of Security to be group to be sent in to situations that maybe less then ideal for normal Starfleet officers.

The game was released on PC and PS2. I will be playing the PC version with the Expansion Pack installed. The expansion pack was never available for the PS2 and has two important features: Jeri Ryan who was unavailable for the original recordings comes back to do Seven of Nine and a Virtual Voyager mode that lets you explore the ship and learn some more about the members of the Hazard Team.

Joining me for this run of the game is berryjon as we question what the hell is going on.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Virtual Voyager Log files

Alex's Personal Log
Voyager Social Events
Neelix's "Recipes"
The Doctor's Personal Log
Cargo Manifest
Seven of Nine's Personal Log
Astrometrics Civilizations
Astrometrics Planets
Harry Kim's Persona Log
Neelix's Personal Log
Tom Paris' Personal Log
Tovok's Personal Log
Captain Janeway's Personal Log
Chakotay's Personal Log
B'Elanna Torres' Personal Log
Jurot's Personal Log
Austin Chang's Personal Log
Chell's Personal Log
Hendrick Biessman's Personal Log
Telsia Murphy's Personal Log
Ship Repair Status
Captain Proton Episode List
Hazard Team Readiness
Andrew Dischler's (Deck 15 guy) Personal Log
Library Computer

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 25, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Hello, I'm berryjon, lovely co-commentator. I eager await Voyager's impending destruction. Let's see if Mateo can avoid that, or if he wants to. ;)

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Please disintegrate Neelix on sight. I'm sure the doctor can do a better job with his duties. It would be literally impossible for him to do any worse.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You got a typo in the video's youtube title.

Anyway, I don't know if I have the mental strength the follow an entire LP of this game. It doesn't seem very interesting so far, and most Star Trek games are bad, so...

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I have fond memories of shooting at the Who's Who of the Star Trek universe, so I will be following.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Carbon dioxide posted:

You got a typo in the video's youtube title.

Anyway, I don't know if I have the mental strength the follow an entire LP of this game. It doesn't seem very interesting so far, and most Star Trek games are bad, so...

Stick it out for at least one real video. This is one of the Star Trek games that is at least average. In fact, my only gripe with the game, aside from uneven difficulty, is a final boss that's basically a sack of HP on a timer. But we'll get to that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I like how even the mostly generic tutorial segment still fits in treknobabble.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'll take health dispensers over chest high walls any day. :colbert:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

I'll take health dispensers over chest high walls any day. :colbert:

I prefer my health refills to be random white medkits with the Red Cross on them. :colbert:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Oh gently caress I got this game for Christmas the year it came out and loving LOVED it

It actually makes Voyager bearable for a short period of time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MA-Horus posted:

It actually makes Voyager bearable for a short period of time.

It's me, I'm the voyager apologist.

I think much of the problem with Voyager is that they did a lot of things simply to be different because they were running concurrently with DS9 and hot on the heels of TNG. Even TNG and DS9 had some real stinkers in their first few seasons as they worked out their teething problems(Getting the 13 year old drunk, Everything with Pulaski, Move Along Home). Threshold aside (because Threshold is Threshold, even the writer acknowledges it's a steaming turd) season 2 was where things started to improve, and season 3 got even better because they allowed the Doctor to develop as a character and gave him the mobile emitter so he could actually participate in the loving show. They even gave Kes some decent episodes with Warlord/Before and After. Season 4 is where the show really got into it's own (Year of Hell, Killing Game). They got rid of Kes, while adding in Seven. Getting rid of Kes also allowed/forced them to make Nelix more tolerable because his character no longer had to revolve around wanting to bone a 4 year old.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I never got to play the original Elite Force and only played the sequel. Upon watching this video I think I will just keep it that way :stare:

You know when it comes to fps tutorials for whatever reason I think that nothing can beat the Hazard courses from Half-Life, but then that's probably because it's in the Half-Life engines, so you can do stupid poo poo like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWiFOte0GH4 :v:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 18, 2016

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Oh man this was my second game ever and I remember really liking it... when I was 6 or 7.

Please show off the multiplayer bots and how Chell, somehow a Hazard Team member, is the worst bot by a mile.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

I can't understand a lot of what you're saying; berryjon's volume is too low and the game's sound effects are too loud.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Berryjon is really quiet compared to the in-game audio. To the point where I can barely hear him some times. mateo's voice isn't much louder. Since everything's subtitled you could probably cut the game audio down and/or boost Berryjon.

That said, I do like how faithful they are to Voyager with the game. And the wispy particle effect on the I-Mod is really good looking for a game of this era.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Whoops, forgot to balance the the actual video audio. give me about an hour an a new version will be up.

EDIT: I've done what I can with berryjon's audio but that's about as loud as it's going to get with out getting a bunch of fuzzy static in the background.

EDIT2: Still processing but the new version is up.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 18, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sighence posted:

Oh man this was my second game ever and I remember really liking it... when I was 6 or 7.

Please show off the multiplayer bots and how Chell, somehow a Hazard Team member, is the worst bot by a mile.

I still loved this game as a kid despite picking it up when I was around 12. A FPS where you could play as a woman without sexualizing her or making a GIRL POWA deal about it was revolutionary to me.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So fun fact the opening music over the theme triggers the copyright system but the re balanced audio apparently is enough to cover up the music that it doesn't trigger it anymore.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Trivia bit: it is possible to shoot the console yourself, rather than wait for the cutscene to do it. I don't recall if Chell still gets his warning off before everything explodes.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Sorry about my voice. I'm a quiet person by nature, as those who've commentated with me in the past can attest.

We also record two missions at a time, and the next two were a separate session where I tweaked things on my end to be louder.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, there was a military team "before", just not when this game came out. The MACOs in Star Trek: Enterprise.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Paris was demoted in season 5 for interfering with the species of the week against orders. He was promoted again in the season 6 finale. The thing with him exposing Seska's traitor was a subplot in season 2 that lasted for all of an episode (and was before Seven showed up).

According to the wiki the game takes place late in season 6.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Huh, I'm surprised nobody twigged about Tom Wilson's other roles, considering the subforum. I mean, he's been Catman (Brave and the Bold: The Videogame... And series), Electro (Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions), Rok-Ko (Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex), and, of course...

Todd 'Maniac' Marshall, the real hero of the Wing Commander games. Honest!

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
If you watch the credits you'll notice they apparently named all the characters they could after themselves.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Now things start getting somewhat interesting.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I really loved this game back in the day, for me it was a great Star Trek game, a lot better than any of the others I tried at the time. I loved how immersive it felt, especially after the patch that put Jeri Ryans voice back as Seven instead of the other actress they had playing her initially. They later released an addon that opened up almost all of Voyager to explore though that was mainly a lot more hallways with some interesting rooms, including one for the ship's landing gear.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Just wanted to add to the fact that the you can totally save the crewman with the forcefield, I did it myself when I played the game several years ago. The timing is pretty drat wonky though.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I still loved this game as a kid despite picking it up when I was around 12. A FPS where you could play as a woman without sexualizing her or making a GIRL POWA deal about it was revolutionary to me.

Crying shame about the sequel, though. No Alexandria, and that new love interest was just beyond description in awfulness. Really, everything about the sequel felt worse to me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Montegoraon posted:

Crying shame about the sequel, though. No Alexandria, and that new love interest was just beyond description in awfulness. Really, everything about the sequel felt worse to me.

I liked some of the level designs, and most of the secret hunting. But yeah, the story and characters were pretty bad, and most of the guns felt bland or just plain not fun to use. Best of the bunch for me in the fun category was probably the lightning gun.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So, on a scale from completely to utterly, how much of this game is Captain Janeway's fault?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Sylphosaurus posted:

Just wanted to add to the fact that the you can totally save the crewman with the forcefield, I did it myself when I played the game several years ago. The timing is pretty drat wonky though.

Yeah but the take you see in the vid is like the 5th or 6th time doing it and everytime I tried I just died.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, on a scale from completely to utterly, how much of this game is Captain Janeway's fault?

Totally.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not at all, surprisingly. It is an FPS, after all. Pretty much all problems are solved with guns, and if that doesn't work, more guns. And the odd bit of technobabble, though even that is relatively restrained. So the main question is where to send the hazard team, and those choices end up being pretty solid. I mean, it's not like they're asking her to make any hard decisions, like whether it's moral to prevent planetary extinction or not.

Saving that guy with the forcefield is definitely possible. I never found the timing on it difficult either. Weird.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So, funny story.

They were going to kill Harry Kim. Garrett Wong was sick of the show (for understandable reasons) and the writers hated his character, so he was scripted to die.

And then E! put out a magazine naming him one of the 20 sexiest bachelors of the year.

So the writers gave him slightly less terrible lines and let him actually do things on occasion. Like get poked in the neck by Species 8472 and spend like, half of that season unconscious.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, funny story.

Mateo and I actually talked about that off-camera. It's why we make joke about Harry, but we never insult him - unlike everyone else. Poor guy has had enough.

I got to meet him at a Convention last year, and he's a wonderful guy. Couldn't afford his autograph though.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
God drat, those pants. The mid 90's were truly a magical time...

That said, I never watched Voyager when it first aired (was more of a TNG fan) so I'm going into this with very little knowledge of the characters or what supposed to be going on; that way I can focus on how ridiculous the story is without getting angry about them breaking the canon in half.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

berryjon posted:

I got to meet him at a Convention last year, and he's a wonderful guy. Couldn't afford his autograph though.

I could :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Montegoraon posted:

Saving that guy with the forcefield is definitely possible. I never found the timing on it difficult either. Weird.

The force field is right in front of the console. You have to click it once he's past the console but before the fire gets there.

• Locked thread